• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

How Many Cook with New (unvaped) Bud?

Do you cook with new (unvaped) bud, ABV or trim?

• Total voters

Treeburner

This forum is full of posts about people cooking with ABV or trim, but very little about cooking with high quality, cured bud. I recently switched from vaping to eating, and have been having great results with 0.75g per day divided into three 0.25g doses in coconut oil containing oatmeal raisin cookies, one about 7am, one around noon, and the final around 5pm. I have yet to notice any tolerance increase although vaping or smoking the same strain this long would have definitely caused noticeable tolerance to the effects.

So far I'm very happy with eating as an MOA as I don't have to worry about smell or packing the vape and I'm using less bud than I was vaping. I never would have expected it, as many of my previous experiences with edibles were disappointing, but when you decarb properly and follow a reliable technique the results are great!

Anyone else make the switch to eating and use new bud instead of trim or ABV?

-Treeburner

killick

But I like it!
I cook with fresh bud all the time. I get a bunch of grams each month of fresh. My prescription was very small when I started, and every crumb was precious. I suddenly realized the only reason the scrip was low was because thats what I asked for (I was pretty dumb back then...). Now it's prolly too high, so I'm working through that issue...

Now I spend more time trying to find the *best* way (for me) to make concentrates and cook with those. This way even the smallest gummy can be as infused as I'd like it to be. Caps are also another option that is a bit more subtle, if'n thats your thing.

I haven't made anything for a couple of weeks (we've had a lot of company) and I'm noticing I vape a lot less when I'm edibling. The more I edib, the less I vape. I'm pretty vaped now, and those last two sentences just don't seem right, but you know what I'm getting at...

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
This forum is full of posts about people cooking with ABV or trim, but very little about cooking with high quality, cured bud. I recently switched from vaping to eating, and have been having great results with 0.75g per day divided into three 0.25g doses in coconut oil containing oatmeal raisin cookies, one about 7am, one around noon, and the final around 5pm. I have yet to notice any tolerance increase although vaping or smoking the same strain this long would have definitely caused noticeable tolerance to the effects.

So far I'm very happy with eating as an MOA as I don't have to worry about smell or packing the vape and I'm using less bud than I was vaping. I never would have expected it, as many of my previous experiences with edibles were disappointing, but when you decarb properly and follow a reliable technique the results are great!

Anyone else make the switch to eating and use new bud instead of trim or ABV?

-Treeburner

My brownie recipe is here: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/guide-how-to-decarboxylate-1-1-cbd-thc-cannabis.20688/#post-991255

You have your option of what you want to source from, but I've made untold batches with 1/4oz of bud :)
(that makes a nice pan of brownies!)

Perhaps someone will convince me to collect and experiment with ABV, but I have to pick which windmills I tilt at :) (plus, I'd need help to do the experiment)

Treeburner

I did my first batch of coconut oil in the crockpot with water and let it steep for 8 hours. My most recent batch was the same amount of bud and oil but in my 9-cup stainless stovetop espresso maker, and I don't notice any difference in potency between the two. The espresso maker only takes a fraction of the time, however, so I think I'll invest in a 12 cup pot since my 9 cup can only hold 20 grams of bud; the 12 should hold a full zip.

I'm so happy I read the thread here on FC regarding using the "Mota Pot" or I never would have known about the espresso maker method of making oil, so thanks FC!

I did make a batch of oil with my ABV, about 0.75g of ABV oil per cookie and they are equally potent to my fresh cookies but are very tiring so they've been designated "nighttime" cookies. Great for sleeping through pain, my fiancée had minor surgery and they gave her nothing for the pain so she used these to sleep through 2 days of recovery.

-Treeburner

Last edited:

Ace of Space

I use both trim and (watercured) abv, never bud.
Like Killick, i make concentrates first; bubble from trim and oil from abv, first to eliminate most of the horrible tasting chlorophyl, and second to have better control on dosage.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I do it all. I just finished two projects: infusing the rest of my water-cured ABV coco-canna-oil (1 1/3 cups) with my Everclear-reclaim-THCA oil collections. I boiled off the alcohol and brought the oil up to 240 to decarboxylate any remaining THCA.

I also took 3 oz of well preserved, up-to-3 yr-old cannabis I had hanging around and decarboxylated it all in my nifty decarb gadget, NOVA, because I'm a gadget-buying fool. I added the cannabis to 3 cups of virgin coconut oil and 1 cup of a remaining batch of fresh coco-canna oil in the Magical Butter Machine gadget and processed for 4 hrs @ 190 F. After a rest, I put 4 Tbs. of liquid sunflower lecithin and a gram of decarbed concentrate, which was the remains of a failed experiment with VG, and ran another 4 hours @ 160 F.

The darker oil is the ABV mixture. My concoctions seem to me more like blind stabs of wanna-be-hippie-alchemy than science.
IMG_0380.jpg

Last edited:

Treeburner

Are people who are adding lecithin directly to the oil using a cooking method with only oil and no water?

I read one post of someone using the same technique as me with oil and water heated then separated, but they added the lecithin directly to the oil, bud and water mixture which I find makes the separated oil retain a lot of water in emulsion.

-Treeburner

Ace of Space

I tried to add lecithin to my bubble/coconut oil/water mixture that I decarb in a double boiler, and it got completely messy.
It emulsified, but not completely, leaving my water as a yellowish muddy liquid and my oil very contaminated too.
After a couple times in the fridge, discarding the water and melting the oil again, sieving etc, my (now clean) oil was about a third of the amount I started with, including all the bubble I put in there...

I probably done something completely wrong there, but I won't be experimenting any further to find out what it was that went wrong, waaaay to wasteful lol

Ace of Space,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Are people who are adding lecithin directly to the oil using a cooking method with only oil and no water?

That is how I'm doing it. Many folks have recommended lecithin as a way to increase the bio-availability of the THC. I'm not exactly sure what that means, other than it is supposed to make it stonier, which is my ultimate goal. If people swore that pureed mangoes made it super-stoney, I'd be off to Costco to buy a flat.

Last edited:

OldOyler

Fire it again. I can still find the ground.
Peace everyone!

I use popcorn and midsies to make a QWET shatter (at 100F or so).

Then I re-dissolve in about 125ML of EC189, take to 250F at the end for decarb and purge.

Then I add the recipe amount of butter to my stainless steel cooking tin that I just decarbed/purged in and removed from heat, usually half at a time (half at first, half on a fondue fork in pats so I can hold it upside down over the mixing bowl).

Today, I used 1.8g of re-dissolved absolut Sour Diesel shatter, when decarbed and purged I added 4tbsp unsalted butter for a cheap cookie recipe that makes a dozen cookies (my "guy" is complaining he can't get medibles, I figured I would try and earn some points!).

Peace everyone!

20160901_123652.jpg

Cookies:

20160901_125238.jpg

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I just made a batch of medicated coconut oil with decared fresh bud some shake 1 and 1/2 ounces and an ounce of ABV. So a total of 2 and 1/2 ounces altogether.

I used the Magical Butter Maker. I put it through a 2 hour cycle at 160 degrees I did this several times - a total of 7 times for 14 hours over a few days. It's a deep green color. I hope it's potent. I'm not sure if the added time will make it stronger. It was just an experiment.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I try and save whatever I can, but in my device (crafty) the abv is usually pretty spent. I'm all about using fresh product, but I stopped using flowers for edibles because it's too time consuming. Now I am using fresh concentrates! =) Bake in the oven at 275F for about 5-10 mins (watch for the bubbles to stop) then I add it into my recipes. Knowing the %'s in the concentrates helps get those doses in an accurate range. I usually have some medible oil ready in about 15 mins versus the hours it would take using my MB2e.

sickmanfraud

I tried to add lecithin to my bubble/coconut oil/water mixture that I decarb in a double boiler, and it got completely messy.
It emulsified, but not completely, leaving my water as a yellowish muddy liquid and my oil very contaminated too.
After a couple times in the fridge, discarding the water and melting the oil again, sieving etc, my (now clean) oil was about a third of the amount I started with, including all the bubble I put in there...

I probably done something completely wrong there, but I won't be experimenting any further to find out what it was that went wrong, waaaay to wasteful lol

Lecethin is, as you note, an emulsifier. If using lecethin or any emulsifier you need to add the emuslifier after you remove the water from the equation. Otherwise you will emulsify the water / oil as you saw.

Ozyzj

I recently tried brewing a batch of canna-coconut oil for the first time. I used about 2.5 ounces of old (but well-preserved) bud, and about 18 ounces of coconut oil.

I ground the bud, put it in a mason jar, sealed the lid, and baked the jar in a conventional oven at 210f for 45 minutes. Next I let the jar cool completely, added my oil into the same mason jar, stirred it very well, sealed it back up, and sat it in a crockpot full of water on high heat for 12 hours. Afterwards, I separated most of the solids out using the standard cheesecloth method. This yielded about 3/4 a quart of finished oil. Next, while the oil was still warm, I poured boiling water into the mixture, refrigerated the jar to separate the water (store the jar upside down in the fridge to make the water extraction easier!), and repeated the process twice at the suggestion of this post. However, my oil never really changed color. The odor and "plant taste" diminished by about 90% though.

tOM63Na.png

In terms of effects, the oil turned out to be totally fantastic! I selected a high sativa strain for this and was amazed with the results. This is the first time that I've found the effects of ingestion to be parallel with how vaping affects me: a light dose helps clear out mental distraction and enhances motivation, while a medium to heavy dose is unquestionably sedative. I divided the batch into dropper bottles which work really well to control the dose. 2 or 3 drops are a good minimum dose for a workday, and 7 drops gives the aforementioned strong sedative effect (on days without ingesting, I vape about .05 to .1g per day, so my tolerance is relatively low). I think that with a proper recipe, ingesting oil made from a single strain can be reliable and VERY economical - possibly moreso than vaping! My favorite part about this oil is that it can be harmlessly added to just about anything. I've found great success with mixing a few drops into my coffee thermos and sipping on it throughout the day.

Next time I make a batch, I will definitely try adding lecithin. This method is a true game changer for me, and I would strongly recommend it to anyone interested in changing up their method or routine of consumption.

Last edited:

Paperback Writer

Im a Rastaman not a Dreadlock
I usually use unvaped herb for my coconut oil pills because I find the effects are more of my liking...smooth, euphoric, and not to heavy since my days are pretty hectic.

I have tried using abv in the past and for some reason I always it is too heavy and makes me tired. Wish it wasn't like that love to recycle me herbs

OldOyler

I usually use unvaped herb for my coconut oil pills because I find the effects are more of my liking...smooth, euphoric, and not to heavy since my days are pretty hectic.

I have tried using abv in the past and for some reason I always it is too heavy and makes me tired. Wish it wasn't like that love to recycle me herbs
Absolutely the same here as well.

I was on the fence, but the difference is too big.

I now use my ABV only for green dragon (sick, have the flu, or if I really need sleep) and for a coconut oil topical I jokingly call "Cannatracin". (Honestly no joke in how well it works, though - faster than bacitracin for me most of the time. plus great for any kind of skin problems)

I also put some aside to sit kief on when I am in the mood for deep reflection AND sleep.

Peace everyone!

MinnBobber

....and for a coconut oil topical I jokingly call "Cannatracin". (Honestly no joke in how well it works, though - faster than bacitracin for me most of the time. plus great for any kind of skin problems)....

Can you please expand on what type of issues the coconut oil topical works on please.

My main issues are shoulder frazzled tendon pain, neck muscle pain, and some lower back muscle pain.
Would it likely work on those? OldOyler or others who have used it??

I have a a batch but was leaning toward eating infused oile for a good (yet undetermined) movie with good visuals, good sound track AKA a stoner flick ;)

MinnBobber,
Reactions: CarolKing

OldOyler

Can you please expand on what type of issues the coconut oil topical works on please.

My main issues are shoulder frazzled tendon pain, neck muscle pain, and some lower back muscle pain.
Would it likely work on those? OldOyler or others who have used it??

I have a a batch but was leaning toward eating infused oile for a good (yet undetermined) movie with good visuals, good sound track AKA a stoner flick ;)
Sigh.

Sadly, no - I have not found any topical cannabis application to treat more than the condition it is actually coming in contact with. (I tried because I heard a story of people from South America rubbing it all over their legs to relive the pains of standing all day)

I have chronic pain in left arm and left leg; pancreas "demons", then some shoulder and knee issues - it doesn't touch those in any way.

I use the topical for cuts, burns, and bug bites specifically. Heals everything much faster than otc creams.

I would go with infused oils for pain as you planned. A little couch lock lets your body rest - and so at least stop sending all those pain signals to the spine and brain. Throw in a few "ha ha" signals (Doug Benson's got a movie!) and you've got yourself some mending going on!

Peace and healing to you.

MinnBobber

@OldOyler , thanks.

I won't waste it on my "subterranean" pain issues then. I was hoping it might penetrate for deeper body pains :(

I only have infused oil from about 7 grams of ABV thoroughly vaped at 440 F so I'l ingest it for better effects.

MinnBobber,
Reactions: OldOyler

OldOyler

@OldOyler , thanks.

I won't waste it on my "subterranean" pain issues then. I was hoping it might penetrate for deeper body pains :(

I only have infused oil from about 7 grams of ABV thoroughly vaped at 440 F so I'l ingest it for better effects.
Have you tried sublingual?

Sometimes better than ingested on stubborn achings "right on the bone" imo.

Also less oil needed sublingual v ingestion (you sounded tight on oil stash a bit).

Peace!

MinnBobber

Have you tried sublingual?

Sometimes better than ingested on stubborn achings "right on the bone" imo.

Also less oil needed sublingual v ingestion (you sounded tight on oil stash a bit).

Peace!
Thanks,
just watched the Greenflower e-seminar on tinctures with mostly sublingual method.
I might try that with some of my canna-coconut oil.
I imagine it will have a somewhat grassy/ not pleasant taste but might experiment

MinnBobber,
Reactions: OldOyler
Top Bottom