How do you get consistent grinds / doses?

jrutherford_iii

Could someone older and wiser in the ways of cannabis enlighten me as to how THC potency varies within a grind? I have a sensitive system and I’m trying to do everything to make sure each bowl has a consistent dose. Do the leafier, sticker bits of herb have less THC potency than the smaller, crumbly parts of the herb that settle closer to the screen? I know the very fine powdery stuff is kief, and typically much higher THC. But what about the stuff sized in between? Most importantly, how do you ensure a consistent bowl so you know you’re getting a consistent amount every session?

I’m a fairly sensitive consumer and I’ve been trying to control as many variables as I can.. I typically grind a medical batch (always the same strain) weekly, and then each day scoop out a bit with a metal spoon and weigh it on a milligram scale. I preheat my Mighty at 375, pour in from the weighing paper, and then puff until the taste changes. I typically pour out between 120-140mg of dry herb.

I’ve been doing this for about 18 months and I’m still not always getting consistent results…Sometimes I get exactly the smooth, dreamy high I’m looking for, and other times I get an unpleasant racy experience or, alternatively, I get a feeling like the dose was too low.

Any advice or resources? Much appreciated.

jrutherford_iii,

daoist

The little hairs on the weed bud are the most potent pieces of the weed. But they are through the entire plant. They call it resin. Or hash crystals, or keef.

Some buds may have more resin than others. I prefer the big fat 5 gram buds because than you know not everyone handpicked and touched it yet and not all the resin sticks to someones hand. I take the little branch that hold it together for granded. At home i carefully pick a bit as needed from the big bud and vape it. Sometimes you get a bunch of small buds. it still gets me high as well, but i prefer the big buds.

As for grind consistency. just use a good grinder that grinds everything even. you might want to find yourself a better grinder if it looks uneven.
What i usually do if i think effects are to weak i just collect some keef, press it in my hands and mix it with my weed. Some vaporizers like a finer grind, some like a more coarse grind. My Arizer Extreme Q and my Herborizer XL seem to give me great results with medium to coarse grind from the Space Case grinder. hey are both convection vaporizers. your mighty vaporizer may need a different grind, you can ask in the storz and bickel topic what other people use.

Also you might want to switch strains daily. because if you use only one strain you might build up a tolerance for that strain.
If you find the effect diminishes for a strain, use a different strain. You can discuss this with your doctor to switch strains to not mess up your tolerance for one strain.

Also you MUST try temperature surfing. the high is different between temperatures. At 180 celsius the high is different as 185 celsius, and it gets a lot stronger at 195 celsius. you have to try what temperature gives you the best effect. You can adjust the high by changing the temperature of your vaporizer.

Also what could effect the high is the humidity in the room and storage container. between 55% to 62% humidity would be the workable range.
55% is a bit to dry for my taste, but around 58% seems to be ideal.

I bought a room humidifier. I get great results with it. I can get smoother softer hits so this also means i would be able to take bigger hits without coughing.

Last edited:

C No Ego

Could someone older and wiser in the ways of cannabis enlighten me as to how THC potency varies within a grind? I have a sensitive system and I’m trying to do everything to make sure each bowl has a consistent dose. Do the leafier, sticker bits of herb have less THC potency than the smaller, crumbly parts of the herb that settle closer to the screen? I know the very fine powdery stuff is kief, and typically much higher THC. But what about the stuff sized in between? Most importantly, how do you ensure a consistent bowl so you know you’re getting a consistent amount every session?

I’m a fairly sensitive consumer and I’ve been trying to control as many variables as I can.. I typically grind a medical batch (always the same strain) weekly, and then each day scoop out a bit with a metal spoon and weigh it on a milligram scale. I preheat my Mighty at 375, pour in from the weighing paper, and then puff until the taste changes. I typically pour out between 120-140mg of dry herb.

I’ve been doing this for about 18 months and I’m still not always getting consistent results…Sometimes I get exactly the smooth, dreamy high I’m looking for, and other times I get an unpleasant racy experience or, alternatively, I get a feeling like the dose was too low.

Any advice or resources? Much appreciated.

Generally foods you have eaten will influence your high day by day ... some days your body may need more cannabinoids and this could cause less of a high that day while other days you may need less and when you ingest them they effect you more ETC...
here is some great info on that - how omega three boosts endogenous cannabinoid compounds https://themodern.farm/studies/Omega-3 Deficiancy Abolish Endocannabinoid Function.pdf

Also, you cna use whole peppercorns to augment your cannabis high ... use peppercorns before your cannabis ingestion to boost the cannabis high and use them after cannabis to decrease the high . just chew on whole peppercorns, one or two ... beta caryophyllene is the compound in there that adjuncts your endocanabinoid system

C No Ego,

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
More then anything you need a grinder that produces consistent results then you can use something a simple as a delta 3D studio scoop to dose. I just recently got mine and I’m incredibly happy with the results and have already cut back on my daily dose. Consistently is key to proper dosing if your grind isn’t uniform even using a scale will have variants. Anything leafy and stems should be discarded and I’d recommend not grinding more then a days worth at a time, really dry bud vapes better but is more harsh, and what are you storing all your ground bud in? If it’s clear that is no good, sunlight degrades thc. I also find a grinder with a kief catcher is useful, I don’t particularly miss what it catches and can add it to my bowl later in the evening for something a little stronger. What is your bud like? Is it lab tested and coming in at Reliable numbers? Even the same strain from the same grower can vary grow to grow.

Bad Dog,

daoist

You can buy a storage container with humidity packs for storage. I prefer 62% humidity packs from boveda. I bought a c-vault which is airtight and no light comes in and it comes with 62% RH boveda packs. Integra 55% RH packs are really to dry and hurts my throat after a while. so i stick with boveda. i might try boveda 58% packs if i can find some. but 55% is too dry for my taste. i may work for others where they have lot of humidity in the ambient environment.

daoist,

EverythingsHazy

An electric coffee grinder will give you a consistent grind, which helps with consistent dosing, for each batch, however, every time you grind up new bud, the cannabinoid profile will be different, so your doses of each cannabinoid per gram will vary.

EverythingsHazy,

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
And we all know that even if your using the same grinder, the grind quality will be affected by the flower.

Relaxed,
Reactions: Summer

daoist

At 62% humidity the grinded vape will be soft because more humid air. If you think it is to humid for you, you can leave the grinded herb out on a plate or something so it dries more. Dry herb grinds better. So you could try a 58% RH boveda pack. I use 62% as 55% was to dry, and i can't find the 58% RH boveda in my country. dry herb works better with vaping, but to dry will hurt your throat. So invest in himidty control. boveda packs are only less than 2 euro or dollar. Also i would not grind for the whole week. I would just grind every session fresh.

With grinding you really have to ask what grinder works best with your mighty vaporizer. try this topic:

Your high can always vary a bit. Terpenes are also in food like mint tea, mango juice orange juice, herbs in your food etc... Even if you eat sugar or something, that might effect the high a bit. it is just like that.

You can take tolerance break for a few days if the high does not work anymore. That should fix it. Or increase the dosage.
You want the medicine to work. With vaping you can always just continue vaping the next day. When one bowl does not do it for me i just take another bowl. Usually i only finish that until i get the desired effect. The rest i just keep till the next day and finish that later.

Last edited:
daoist,
Top Bottom