How do I clean my toilet?

2 Cycle

I would take a picture but that nasty so let me just say it is a filthy toilet. I usually pour in some Ajax and a quick scrub but many issues remain. What chemicals and tools should I be using?

woolspinner

I would take a picture but that nasty so let me just say it is a filthy toilet. I usually pour in some Ajax and a quick scrub but many issues remain. What chemicals and tools should I be using?

I hope this is a real post, because if it is, it is awesome!

I am semi-eco in my bathroom cleaning. I like the "natural" toilet bowl cleaner you find in natural food stores that smells like cedar, I cannot remember the brand. But any thick liquid/gel toilt bowl cleaner will work. Layer that shit on the walls of the bowl and up under where the spigots are in the bowl. Let it sit for a minimum of 15 minutes. Use a scrubby or rag to clean, the brush is ineffective unless you are a weekly cleaner.

If you still have stains, I understand the magic eraser is good. Oh and...

DO NOT flush anything other than toilet paper down your toilet. That can cause blockages.

Frankly, though, if Ajax and a scrub isn't doing it, I don't know what will. If it is a stain,then the magic eraser, but if you have hard water, you may need a limescale/calcium remover product (they sell a "green" version of that as well! And it works!) to get rid of the buildup.

Good luck.

woolspinner,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
What ever you do, DO NOT COMBINE BLEACH AND AJAX OR COMET. A dangerous gas is the result.

If you have hard water rings, you can get a bar of volcanic rock or pummice stone at the plumbing store to safely scrape those rings and coloration away. I find if I pour in a bucket of water, the bowl drains for easy cleaning.

EDIT: Amazon Pumice Stone Link

Last edited:

woolspinner

What ever you do, DO NOT COMBINE BLEACH AND AJ
AX OR COMET. A dangerous gas is the result.

If you have hard water rings, you can get a bar of volcanic rock at the plumbing store to safely scrape those rings and coloration away. I find if I pour in a bucket of water, the bowl drains for easy cleaning.

I did not know about the volcanic rock! Thanks!

woolspinner,

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I would like a picture of the toilet dirty enough to ask this :lol:

I have some sort of gel stuff. Squirt on sides and use wire brush. Brush can scratch the enamel tho if too hard. Multiple attempts, letting it sit awhile after applying the cleaner. I forget the name off hand

2 Cycle

great suggestions so far, much appreciated. I suspect the hard deposits are a mixture of hard water stains, poop and vomit. I read using a power drill with brush works good

2 Cycle,
Reactions: dilvish
Top Bottom