Highest temp you use with for flower.

PeteyS

In search of the biggest cloud, how hot do you guys go?
For reference, im using the Arizer V-tower with Ddave one hitter mod. The V-tower goes up to 500f, and the highest ive hit it at was 446f. No combustion yet, but flavour is very burnt, should i go even higher in search of the biggest cloud?

Pete.

PeteyS,

hoptimum

In search of the biggest cloud, how hot do you guys go?
For reference, im using the Arizer V-tower with Ddave one hitter mod. The V-tower goes up to 500f, and the highest ive hit it at was 446f. No combustion yet, but flavour is very burnt, should i go even higher in search of the biggest cloud?

Pete.
Don’t confuse the fictional number on your V Tower screen with the amount of heat your flower is exposed to.

howie105

Go till the glow then you will know. Too many variables (gear, draw, bud, ect) for anyone but you to actually know what works for you.

howie105,

BleuEyedOne

What is the concern about an exact temperature?

I thought the whole idea is to "not combust" and start at a lower setting, enjoy the flavor, and gradually increase, until the taste is gone, but before tasting the "burnt popcorn" that indicates combustion?

That's how I been using different vaporizers for the past 20 years.

By not "burning" and instead vaporizing, aren't we already getting much more out of our herb, compared to combustion?

I'm not trying to extract every last molecule, I'm happy enjoying the flavor and knowing that I was able to extract a high percentage from the herb.

My girlfriend uses the avb in her baked goods, nothing is being "wasted"

except for me, of course!

Last edited:

Vaporware

The burnt popcorn taste doesn’t indicate combustion (unless it’s just tiny bits of charring), just that you’re really cooking the flower and it doesn’t have much other taste left to give.

You won’t get that taste with all vaporizers or at all temps, but it’s generally a good indication you should dump it in the AVB unless you really want to fully extract everything that’s there. The problem with that is at some point you might be getting more of the compounds you don’t really want instead of the ones you’re trying to get.

If you want to really push it you can go to or near combustion and then dial it back, but I strongly prefer the opposite approach. Start low and turn up until you’re happy with it (or even start low and increase temps during each session).

You will get more of certain things that vaporize at high temps if you ride the edge of combustion and that’s what some people are looking for, but I think the rest of us are usually good in the 330-400 range with a lot of people staying around 355-385 or so I think.

Unfortunately you can’t always tell what the real temp is because we’re usually measuring the temp of the heater and not the temp of the air/flower.

ClusFcuk

I have no interest in knowing anything about "temperature"

I don't own any vaporizer that shows a temp, and I'm not convinced of how accurate it might be, or even what exactly it would be measuring

Once the flavor starts decreasing I just dial up a bit and that's the last for that herb

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
I dunno you guys... Being able to dial in a repeatable, precise temp is pretty bad-ass; i started w mflb, then dyna, lotus, and my nomad should be in the current batch... That said, I just got a CH B1 and find myself making and noticing 5* changes to find the sweet spot.
To be clear, I don't think setting my PID to 572* means the air striking my material is 572*; but I can say with assurance that 572 on the PID gives me the same delivered air temp every time. The consistency is awesome; I dig it.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Yeah, I get the temp criticisms and I think 100% it’s useless to compare 450 on device a with 450 on device b. For some of the artisan vapes that aren’t mass produced it might not even be all that useful to compare arbitrary temp x in my device with yours.

However, if you experiment and find what you like it’s nice having the ability to do repeatable and consistent hits like @feralcomprehension said. I think the main thing is you just need to be willing to play around and find what you like.

It reminds me of specialty coffee. I do a lot of pour overs, and it’s common for people to ask for a grind size (whole other can of worms but kind of the same deal as vapes) and a pre canned recipe to get the “best” flavor out of their beans. It doesn’t really work like that though. You might find a starting point, but I always need to tweak things for different beans (or even the same as they age and off gas further).

triskelion

The reason I lean towards injector-type heaters with clear female glass bowls is, that I can tell if the hot air approaching my material is too hot/aggressive, It's given me a realistic visible calculation of how hot the air is on a certain number on that dial as it approaches my material. Makes it easy to dial in those replicable hits.

triskelion,

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
I should maybe have tried to answer OP's q: what temps? Generally mid-to-high 500 on the B1 (w stretched coil and Auber 300 PID), but I've tried the 750 one-hit method too. Both work, one tastes better ;)

feralcomprehension,
Reactions: Vaporware

vapeape77

Unless your flower has over 1% CBC, terpineol or benzene terps in it, there is really little reason to go above 198c/388f if your vaping just flower. I start at 185c and then bump it up to 198c. I do get why people crank it up max for heavy quick extraction, but I’ve read above 200c /390f introduces more carcinogens.

Last edited:

vapeape77

You guys who are specifying temperatures without mentioning the device are just blowing smoke
Sorry flowerpotter… I just use basic portables for flower like the Crafty or Edge where the oven is the temp you are vaping. Never used a dab rig to vape flower but sounds cool.

vapeape77,

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
... the oven is the temp you are vaping.
Is it, though? I'd think that S&B chose their temp measurement method in a mighty crafty fashion, and that the temp of the delivered air should be close to the number displayed, but impossible to really know without instrumented testing. The main point however is that the numbers aren't at all comparable between different devices (and tbh may not be all that comparable between two ostensibly identical devices) so declaiming that temp a is superior to temp b would be more correctly phrased as "I prefer temp a over temp b with my setup".

I stretched the coil on my fp recently to get better heat transfer. I'm now running 50f lower temps, and (more interestingly to me) the indicated coil temp on the PID display drops a *lot* more during use. Same exact setup; glass, PID, power head, flower... and a 3 minute tweak changes the device pretty markedly. With the unstretched coil I might see a couple degree drop; now it's between 10 and 15.

PeteyS

I hit the V-tower the other day at 464f and that seems to be starting point for combustion on my rig.
Nice long convection hit, Extracts 0.05 in one strong hit.

PeteyS,
Top Bottom