Pen Herbstick Eco Vaporizer

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Did you clean the bowl with ISO before the burn-ins?

I did way more than 5 to get rid of the tape smell. Don't recall seeing such visible fumes though.

KeroZen,

CallmeBob

I swabbed the bowl with iso. The fumes aren't visible without flash/flash light.
I assume it's the tape smell as it doesn't smell like hot electronics, at least not any I've smelt before. It's really a rather unpleasant smell.

CallmeBob,
Reactions: KeroZen

CallmeBob

I would guess I did about 20 burn-off cycles on full blast. Still a bit of fumes coming out after that. Used it a few times anyway, against my better judgement. It seemed to produce decent vapor, so I guess it would be an OK unit if you get one that doesn't outgas and you aren't too worried about invisible dangers..
Anyway, I decided to take it apart today. You can see from the pictures that they did attempt to seal the air path. I think the leak is between the plastic halves, or maybe between the body and the plastic. I didn't really inspect it thoroughly. I don't recommend trying to take it apart, unless you've written off the unit anyway. It's glued together.

http://imgur.com/a/sD3Be

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I would guess I did about 20 burn-off cycles on full blast. Still a bit of fumes coming out after that. Used it a few times anyway, against my better judgement. It seemed to produce decent vapor, so I guess it would be an OK unit if you get one that doesn't outgas and you aren't too worried about invisible dangers..
Anyway, I decided to take it apart today. You can see from the pictures that they did attempt to seal the air path. I think the leak is between the plastic halves, or maybe between the body and the plastic. I didn't really inspect it thoroughly. I don't recommend trying to take it apart, unless you've written off the unit anyway. It's glued together.

http://imgur.com/a/sD3Be
:) Airpath is not isolated cause there are channels for the wires which allow air travel from top to bottom. you cann see that on the photos i posted some time ago. The tiny and the large square holes above the pillars , left and right .
B6FPHRo.jpg

Abysmal Vapor,

CallmeBob

I agree that the air path is not isolated properly, but I don't think it's for the reason you mention.
If you look at my picture below, you can see the path that goes to the two air holes on the body. This is separate from the channel for the wires as far as I can remember and see from my pictures (it's in the trash now).
The two plastic halves aren't sealed in any way though, and I'm not sure about the seal at the top of the device either. But I think it's pretty clear that there was an attempt to make an isolated air path.

y76m4Hh.jpg

CallmeBob,
Reactions: KeroZen

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I agree that the air path is not isolated properly, but I don't think it's for the reason you mention.
If you look at my picture below, you can see the path that goes to the two air holes on the body. This is separate from the channel for the wires as far as I can remember and see from my pictures (it's in the trash now).
The two plastic halves aren't sealed in any way though, and I'm not sure about the seal at the top of the device either. But I think it's pretty clear that there was an attempt to make an isolated air path.

y76m4Hh.jpg
Wont go further into this.. it is horrible as it is but air goes trough the USB port ;) and you ventilate the circuit board too and from below too.. The hole for the wires is behind the circuit board,so you ventilate it from there too.
Anyway both our tear downs show that there is plenty of sources for the phantom vapor that it has.. I suggest anyone who is health conscious to avoid it.

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,

CallmeBob

I know it's kind of silly to argue about it, but I dug mine out of the trash, and on that one the channel for the wires is definitely separate from the air channel. I am 100% sure of this.

But like you say, it doesn't really matter. The two plastic halves aren't sealed together in any way, and it probably doesn't seal properly to the housing either so the air is basically coming from everywhere and going past everything.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I did the vapor blowing test on mine and I could see vapor escaping only by the two large holes under the bowl (the path of least resistance)

I also tried back then to cover these holes and I never had air escaping by the USB or button, contrary to the FlowerMate VT1.0.

But yes it's mostly isolated at best.

KeroZen,

Low-toll-microdoser

Exactly!

Every one of these China pen vapes that I tried (herbstick eco, xmax v2, imag+, FM v3 Air) all not only smelled toxic, but when I tried to run multiple burnoffs, they ALL off-gassed visible mystery vapors from oils or plastics or chemicals or whatever. Even after a dozen burn offs, in a still room, if you shined a flashlight/torch on them, you could see the toxic vapors coming off.

We all switched to vaping for the health benefits. IMO, people would be better off combusting than using these shadily manufactured China vapes off-gassing toxic fumes.

That's just one mans experience and opinion though.....take it for what its worth.
Hi
i Have just purchased the Xmax v3 pro 5 days ago and has/had horrible plastic chemical smell
and I also turned off the light and shone a torch to see if I could see and visible smoke and it did have a few slightly wispy vapours coming off from oven and vents,the lid was off

i had read about doing a burn off so did this several times at 428f with the lid off
the smell MAY have diminished a little but I still didn’t trust it but couldn’t resist trying out my new toy so I did some on demand hits @356f for approx 10 count from the beginning of the button press
the load was an unground piece of a nug of st daw approx 0.03 of a g and it was surprisingly strong in effect compared to what I would get from the vapcap

vapcap has no unpleasant taste of its own and the vapour flavour is far superior so far but one cannot dial it in like the on demand temp specific ness of the v3

anyway going back to session mode and 428f and up to full temp again the vents were still smelling unpleasant so since then I have done at least FORTY yes 40 plus 4 min burn offs and the smell has lowered considerably but still there to my dissatisfaction

it’s a shame because at 89gbp it’s quite a low price but if it tasted as good as the dynavap with no unpleasing dodgy taste of its own I think it would be worth maybe twice that

so I’ll give it one or two more tries and it may get sent back for replacement or refund

regards and vape healthy x

Low-toll-microdoser,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hi
i Have just purchased the Xmax v3 pro 5 days ago and has/had horrible plastic chemical smell
and I also turned off the light and shone a torch to see if I could see and visible smoke and it did have a few slightly wispy vapours coming off from oven and vents,the lid was off

i had read about doing a burn off so did this several times at 428f with the lid off
the smell MAY have diminished a little but I still didn’t trust it but couldn’t resist trying out my new toy so I did some on demand hits @356f for approx 10 count from the beginning of the button press
the load was an unground piece of a nug of st daw approx 0.03 of a g and it was surprisingly strong in effect compared to what I would get from the vapcap

vapcap has no unpleasant taste of its own and the vapour flavour is far superior so far but one cannot dial it in like the on demand temp specific ness of the v3

anyway going back to session mode and 428f and up to full temp again the vents were still smelling unpleasant so since then I have done at least FORTY yes 40 plus 4 min burn offs and the smell has lowered considerably but still there to my dissatisfaction

it’s a shame because at 89gbp it’s quite a low price but if it tasted as good as the dynavap with no unpleasing dodgy taste of its own I think it would be worth maybe twice that

so I’ll give it one or two more tries and it may get sent back for replacement or refund

regards and vape healthy x

Yeah it could have been defective, but it sounds like you really should stick to the more top-tier pure simple designed artisan vapes? I replied to you in the V3 Pro thread (this herb stick was much much worse than X-Max! Not a good company for quality materials and well-built healthy devices)

Shit Snacks,
Top Bottom