Hatch Chili Thread

MinnBobber

Hatch chili season is just starting here so, damnit---Hatch chili deserves its own thread for
"all things Hatch" :rockon:

Tips, recipes, favorite foods with Hatch, etc . You New Mexico FCers, who loves Hatch???
Roasting tips!
Tips for skinning roasted Hatch?
Storage tips for storing roasted Hatch?
How to store fresh Hatch?
Are dried Hatch that look black, close to fresh or roasted? Store had a big bag of these dries ones.

When fresh Hatch chilis are not available, what other more common chili would be closest in flavor???

I just got the last of my frozen self-roasted Hatch out of the freezer, from last season. Trimmed some edges which got super dry or freezer burned. Hope these last two make for an awesome omelette

Tranquility

All the chili from New Mexico are not the same. Even those from Hatch have variation. But, some sites list the heat from a Hatch to be from 1,000-8,000 SHU (Scoville heat units). Here's a chart listing the New Mexico chili as 1,000.
http://wiw.org/~corey/chile/scoville.html

What pepper is most like it? It depends. Are your favorite examples more towards the 8k or the 1K side of the heat?

MinnBobber

Are your favorite examples more towards the 8k or the 1K side of the heat?

I'm not sure, kind of new to chilis but probably on the mild end. I am allergic to green peppers so previously thought all chilis would be a no-no and thought all chilis would be really hot, .... not.

Hatch have a wonderful spicey flavor without being too hot. Glad the Hatch season is here.

Tranquility

I'm not sure, kind of new to chilis but probably on the mild end. I am allergic to green peppers so previously thought all chilis would be a no-no and thought all chilis would be really hot, .... not.

Hatch have a wonderful spicey flavor without being too hot. Glad the Hatch season is here.
The closest we have out in CA is the Anaheim. That or a Poblamo.

Just for fun, after writing the above I tried to look up the Anaheim for more info to be sure. They're the same thing. The New Mexico Chili is "sometimes mistakenly called the “Anaheim”. (At least according to the developer's Bio at some minor university that is probably wrong. I'll have to check with Disney to see if such nonsense will be allowed to stand.)
https://cpi.nmsu.edu/then-and-now/fabian-garcia/

MinnBobber

BRISKET ???

Sorta hot to try a Sous Vide Brisket for a small family get-together. 5 people.
A bold move or a stupid move, don't know as I've never ever cooked a brisket before
so this will be an experimental virgin shot.

Anyone ever done this? Tips?
It seems like 134/135 F for 50+ hours is my plan.
The "other " recipe was for 165F for shorter hours so "low and slow" wins.

I have no smoker and don't like a thick burnt crust anyhow, so a quick sear on a 500F grill.

MinnBobber,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Odd. I've never found a Hatch that was even remotely spicy.
Hell, it can be difficult to find spicy Jalapeños around much of the time.

They're great for flavoring things, but if you want anything with even a little spice, then you have to look elsewhere. If I'm using Hatch for flavor, then I'll usually add a bit of Habanero or Ghost Peppers (not always available in my area) to better update the spice profile and bring out the flavor of the other herbs in the dish.

MinnBobber

Roasting Hatch chilis ??

I just bought several pounds of Hatch chilis, to roast on the grill, and then skin them.
The resulting chilis are very very moist.
What is the best way to proceed for long term storage?

I'm thinking of drying them somewhat, at least get rid of all the excessive moisture and then freezing.
Can you dry them is a low temp oven, like 200F for a couple hours?
And then freeze in ice cube trays, remove each frozen Hatch cube, and store in freezer bags?

Ideas???

Tranquility

Roasting Hatch chilis ??

I just bought several pounds of Hatch chilis, to roast on the grill, and then skin them.
The resulting chilis are very very moist.
What is the best way to proceed for long term storage?

I'm thinking of drying them somewhat, at least get rid of all the excessive moisture and then freezing.
Can you dry them is a low temp oven, like 200F for a couple hours?
And then freeze in ice cube trays, remove each frozen Hatch cube, and store in freezer bags?

Ideas???
Haven't had any problems in using them. Once, there was a huge deal on chili's so we bought a bunch and roasted them and froze them. Nothing special other than squishing them flat for all the air to get out and they were fine. We found we were using the same amount as ingredients most times so my wife did the freezing in an ice cube tray and then tossed the cubbed-chili into a bag to pull out and drop in the whatever. Later, we found fresh was not that much harder so just buy when we need them. (We don't have a special season for the type we like best. They always seem around.)

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
It does take effort but when I have a bumper chilli harvest, I dehydrate them.

Some I leave whole but most I powder in a coffee grinder, best flavour chilli powder you'll ever get.

A warning though, be CAREFUL when you powder chillies!

Let's just say it's not fun at all to get even the slightest amount of finely powdered Carolina reaper in you eyes or sinuses or lungs or even on your hands,it can transfer from you hand and be felt on any sensitive skin that you happen to touch(like when your use the toilet)

I'll usually add a bit of Habanero or Ghost Peppers

Ghost pepper? Damn! That's a hot mama to throw in to your cooking. Ramahs=hardcore dude.

Cayenne's - hot without the burn

Shredder you making me feel like a total lightweight. Cayenne doesn't burn you?

shredder

Shredder you making me feel like a total lightweight. Cayenne doesn't burn you?

No, but they're as hot as I like. Medium heat I'd say.

I dry and grind bumper crops as well. I use a blender, and do it outside. My wife isn't a pepper fan.

A pinch here and there really spices up bland food, and of course I use sriracha on everything too, lol.

Ramahs

No, but they're as hot as I like. Medium heat I'd say.

I dry and grind bumper crops as well. I use a blender, and do it outside. My wife isn't a pepper fan.

A pinch here and there really spices up bland food, and of course I use sriracha on everything too, lol.

Yeah, I always have a selection of different kinds of hot sauce in my cabinet and fridge.
And I put peppers in pretty much everything I cook.

MinnBobber

Yeah, I always have a selection of different kinds of hot sauce in my cabinet and fridge.

Years ago, I was even more hot sauce adverse and at friends cabin. He brings out some chips and opens up his second refrigerator which was full of.....all hot sauces, dozens of them.
He asks if I'd like to try "Nuclear Hell" brand hot sauce.
Ya, right, got any mild salsa?????

Ramahs

Years ago, I was even more hot sauce adverse and at friends cabin. He brings out some chips and opens up his second refrigerator which was full of.....all hot sauces, dozens of them.
He asks if I'd like to try "Nuclear Hell" brand hot sauce.
Ya, right, got any mild salsa?????

Weird. I feel like mild salsa has low flavor.
Nothing brings out flavor like a proper bit of capsaicin.

Top Bottom