• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Green Oil - what all is it good for?

killick

But I like it!
Hi all,

I have a question I just haven't quite got my head around yet, so I'll ask the smartest group of internetians I can think of. And you guys!

A friend dropped by for a visit with a 'green oil machine'. It was brand new and we took her on a shakeout cruise. It worked well I think. So basically we did 2 cold washes of 70 grams of excellent med quality herb (50 grams Luminarium, 20 grams Elevare, strain info available at www.medreleaf.ca if interested). We used 1.5 litres of 94% Everclear as a solvent. I filtered both washes roughly through a sieve and straight into the machine. What I got out of the machine was 1.4 litres of Everclear, and about 1/2 cup of medium-thick, green viscous goo. It wasn't decarbed, but the green oil machine ran at ~95c for about an hour to reclaim, so everything was warmed up.

I could have evaped more alcohol out, but I like the viscosity at present for manageability. I'll try a full evap next time, and see how thick I can get it.

And here is the question - The end result should be capable of being used in any fashion, no? I can't come up with any reason why this wouldn't be dabbable, other than it's more liquid than I'm used to, but it looks like the gram of BHO on my desk that I'm not 100% sure what to do with... Can it be dabbed? Should it go into cookies? Whats the best bang for buck from this method of extraction?

Anyways, I had 1/2 dropper in a cup of tea this morning and spent the day full of energy, and a bit more... When dropping by a drugstore my BP was high and my resting pulse was 119. I'm usually high, but not that high... (BP high, not the other kind of high...) (edit - on second thought scrub that. I'm usually pretty high, but not BP high. Resting pulse is always high for some reason, even when I'm not high. Does that make any sense whatsoever? )

Oh, yeah - leaving the drugstore the pharmacist asks me 'whats that', nodding at MiniVAP on the counter. Anyways he got a tour of the MV. He's a Vapman enthusiast ;)

Last edited:

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
I believe you'll get the most bang for your buck with oral ingestion..
Sounds like there may be a bit too much Ethanol in there to dab, but I could be wrong.

I got a recipe for Caramels that melt in your mouth and you start feeling the effects in about 30 minutes.

Lmk if you'd like it. :D:leaf:

Last edited:

mikek9

Vapor Enthusiast
Hi all,

I have a question I just haven't quite got my head around yet, so I'll ask the smartest group of internetians I can think of. And you guys!

A friend dropped by for a visit with a 'green oil machine'. It was brand new and we took her on a shakeout cruise. It worked well I think. So basically we did 2 cold washes of 70 grams of excellent med quality herb (50 grams Luminarium, 20 grams Elevare, strain info available at www.medreleaf.ca if interested). We used 1.5 litres of 94% Everclear as a solvent. I filtered both washes roughly through a sieve and straight into the machine. What I got out of the machine was 1.4 litres of Everclear, and about 1/2 cup of medium-thick, green viscous goo. It wasn't decarbed, but the green oil machine ran at ~95c for about an hour to reclaim, so everything was warmed up.

I could have evaped more alcohol out, but I like the viscosity at present for manageability. I'll try a full evap next time, and see how thick I can get it.

And here is the question - The end result should be capable of being used in any fashion, no? I can't come up with any reason why this wouldn't be dabbable, other than it's more liquid than I'm used to, but it looks like the gram of BHO on my desk that I'm not 100% sure what to do with... Can it be dabbed? Should it go into cookies? Whats the best bang for buck from this method of extraction?

Anyways, I had 1/2 dropper in a cup of tea this morning and spent the day full of energy, and a bit more... When dropping by a drugstore my BP was high and my resting pulse was 119. I'm usually high, but not that high... (BP high, not the other kind of high...) (edit - on second thought scrub that. I'm usually pretty high, but not BP high. Resting pulse is always high for some reason, even when I'm not high. Does that make any sense whatsoever? )

Oh, yeah - leaving the drugstore the pharmacist asks me 'whats that', nodding at MiniVAP on the counter. Anyways he got a tour of the MV. He's a Vapman enthusiast ;)

How long did you do the initial wash? I was reading the instructions on the green oil machines website and it says for dabbable oil and such to wash for only 3 mins. If it came out super green it sounds like you might have over extracted and pull other plant based compounds with it.

As well the consistency doesn't quite seem to be up to dabbable oil. It likely has too much alcohol/water left in it. I would run the machine for longer. It also said on their website that when 95% of the alcohol is gone to remove the top and lower to 70 degrees and continue stirring with a spatula until desired consistency is achieved.

mikek9,

killick

But I like it!
How about making some hard candy? One of the dispensaries near by sells a version of 'Now and Laters' that are made with BHO. I would imagine this would work as well.

Whats a 'now and later' anyways? Ice cream... easy enough to add a blob to some ice cream... I'm kinda looking for ways to effectively manage dosing (I think... this is all new to me :) The 1/2 dropper into coffee yesterday I *think* added a certain level of anxiety and pressure to the day. I'm pretty sure I splattered a couple of 'civil' servants... I'll try less tomorrow...

I believe you'll get the most bang for your buck with oral ingestion. Sounds like there may be a bit too much Ethanol in there to dab, but I could be wrong. I got a recipe for Caramels that melt in your mouth and you start feeling the effects in about 30 minutes. Lmk if you'd like it. :D:leaf:

Yes please! if I actually figure out the dosage

How long did you do the initial wash? I was reading the instructions on the green oil machines website and it says for dabbable oil and such to wash for only 3 mins. If it came out super green it sounds like you might have over extracted and pull other plant based compounds with it.

2x3 minute washes. I didn't do the lower temp evap as I wanted to keep it a bit runny, but there is nothing stopping me from doing that now that it's reduced and strained and crystal clear. IIRC @Ratchett uses his surround amplifier to evap...

As well the consistency doesn't quite seem to be up to dabbable oil. It likely has too much alcohol/water left in it. I would run the machine for longer. It also said on their website that when 95% of the alcohol is gone to remove the top and lower to 70 degrees and continue stirring with a spatula until desired consistency is achieved.[/QUOTE]

The consistency is certainly too runny to dab right now, which was intentional. But if I got it to the right consistency, with all EC removed, it's good to go? Or would it need more curing or modification?

Thanks guys :)

killick,

tepictoton

Did you freeze your ethanol and material before processing? If not, then there is your explanation of why it came out green.

Sounds to me like most reasonable thing to do is to use this batch for edibles.

You could try soluting it again with ethanol and leave it standing in sunlight for some time(one day or more if needed), that will also reduce the ammount of chlorophyl present(aka the green stuff). But, as you can guess, that implies more work...

On top of that, you are talking degrees F or C? Because if it is C, then I suggest lowering your temps drastically, if not, your oil will always come out darker tinted, and, more important, you are loosing a lot of terpines in the process...65C is already on the high side for purging ethanol.

Furthermore, for dabbing quality oil I think you will have to evap on a large surface and spread your oils in thin layers in order to purge properly, and with lower temperatures.

tepictoton,
Reactions: killick

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Whats a 'now and later' anyways?
now_and_later_wrapped_447__zpslehicuxf.jpg

They're sort of a cross between taffy and a Jolly Rancher. You have those in Canada; don't you?

killick

But I like it!
Never heard of them. Not in Canada, the US (east and west and north anyways) the UK, Venezuela, Dubai, Churchill, the Azores, and a whole bunch other places. Got a recipe?

@tepictoton 3 minute washes with frozen bud and frozen ec. The machine is pinned at the right temp to extract ec, so likely won't evap correctly at a lower temp, which may be it's soft spot. Purging, according to instruction, is done at a lower temp with the lid off.

I'll try it at a lower temp next time. Till then I should have some stellar edibles!

Last edited by a moderator:
killick,

tepictoton

Check out bad kitty smiles for some nice recipes, or try my favorite, holy anointing oil according to recipe from skunkpharmresearch.

Do be careful with edibles...

killick

But I like it!
Thanks- looks great!

On an unrelated note, after giving the oil a bit of a break after the first test, I squirted 1/3rd of a dropper into a pint glass of water/juice. The alcohol fizzed a wee bit, and there was a greeny/goldy shimmer on the top. Better give it a stir... Turns out it wasn't a shimmer. It was a skin, and it stuck to the spoon... So, doing what every person in the same position would do, I scraped it off the spoon with a knife, and then stuffed that in my head. I can feel a tingling in my forehead and forearms... Is this what it's like to get super powers? Stay tuned... :worms:?

PS - it was maybe a bit runnier than some of the stuff I've scraped off glass in the past... wonder if I should try evaping some on glass and see how it turns out? Not tonight, obviously, but soon. Ish...

You know, just in case...

:mmmm:

killick

But I like it!
After the spoon incident I found a bottle of 'mudslide' a friend wife had left here. It has alcohol and fat, so this might work better, right? 1/4 dropper and a shake up left the inside full of little green drops that didn't mix with anything. I had a wee nap around 8, and then woke up in time to go to bed around 11, and slept pretty well...

What's next in the experimental bag of tricks?

Edit -
And the next winner is/was: a cup of coffee, with a 1/4 teaspoon of cocobudder, and 1/4 dropper of FECO (or whatever one calls 70 grams in 1/2 cup). I don't see the green flecks, but the coco has a decided goldy sheen on the top of it. Tasty, and I can feel the hair on the back of my neck standing up...

Anyways, this is kinda fun. Nothing bad has happened besides a bunch of extra sleep, which isn't bad unless you are driving. Does driving the ATV in the woods count? Maybe I'll not flash a vape for the morning just to see how it goes...

Last edited:

djelibebbi

AKA djelimon, but lost the email
Got one a couple weeks ago. Have made stuff I could blast off a nail, not shatter by any stretch. Using 50 then 25 micron screens gave me a more amber colour, I aim to do 10 when I get some. A Buchner funnel seems to be the ultimate filter though.

I like your trick of setting the temperature lower than the lock, I was thinking I need a way to make the goo viscous enough so I could get it on an oil slick easily. I'm thinking vacuum purging might close the gap, local head shop has some vacs etc from bestvaluevacs.com for pretty cheap.

djelibebbi,
Reactions: killick

Nova7

Hi all,

I have been using my green oil machine for almost a year now. Ive ran through close to a hundred batches and I've never been able to get anywhere near 95% reclaimed solvent as advertised. If you follow the directions as posted on their website and videos it's just not possible. After the first wash you lose solvent leftover in the waste material, and believe me I try to get every drop of solvent out. Then even after running through a filter until the waste product is bone dry here too solvent is lost. Then after the product goes into the machine you can either leave it on for an hour at 100C and burn the oil or wait a half hour for it to stop dripping to remove the top, and unavoidably lose what solvent is still left in the oil. I would say reclaimation is more like 50%. I have tried varying the amount of time in the machine to reclaim more solvent but still the results are consistent at ~50% alcohol recovery. There's not much info out there so I just wanted to put in my 2cents so people looking to buy the machine have some real reclamation figures to work with. It's a decent piece of equipment but unlike the OP I just don't see how they got back almost ~95% of their alcohol unless they're salesman.

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:

killick

But I like it!
Hi @Nova7 - I forgot this thread existed - it's been a couple of years and things have progressed a little. I was of the same mind as you when I first started, as I wasn't getting as much alcohol back as anticipated. I now use a potato ricer, which has a press that goes on top of a bunch of holes, basically a widget for mashing potatos. I put a coffee filter in the bottom, dump herb on that, and then press like a mofo til no more liquid comes out. That step alone helps me get a lot more alcohol back.

Another thing you could do is put your wet herb back in alcohol and give it a long soak. I've been doing that with resin chips, and even screened trim, just to get the last of the goodness off.

I've kinda stopped watching reclaim levels so much now. A buddy dropped by with a 15 gallon reflux still and said 'if I can store this at your place we can go sharesies on stuff', so I'm not quite as EC-conscious as I was. It costs around 100 beans for around 10 gallons. The still was on Facebook iirc - some guy in Edmonton modifies stainless steel beer kegs, wipes up a parrot beak out of off-the-shelf copper piping. Put it on a turkey frying thingie and don't blow up.

If you are a Facebooker there is a GOM Users Group that is very helpful. As a matter of fact when I did my first run with it (seems like years ago now :) I submitted a question on there, and the CEO walked me through getting things right. Loads of helpful people in there.

killick,
Reactions: BD9
Top Bottom