Genesight

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I hope it's accurate. My GP, and so do I, want to know why I am so sensitive to medications. She doesn't know this, of course, but this sensitivity also applies to recreational drugs, i.e.-cannabis, shrooms, etc.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
As long as they don't start making this a mandatory test, I have no problem with it. But it's sort of odd... and I've never heard of it before. I know that genes can have an effect on the likelihood of catching cancer and other diseases. But how it can relate to your meds is beyond me....

Then again, I'm no scientist, lol.

dimildarko

Gene determines just about everything in your body except maybe some of yours thoughts. I could definitely see doctors using genotyping in the future to identify medications that are good for the patient. That is essential what they're doing when they do genetic testing in cancer diagnostics. They're trying to pin point the cancer type so they can give you the correct treatment and medication.

Source: I work in a anatomical pathology lab. My wife does genetic testing as well.

howie105

I hope it's accurate. My GP, and so do I, want to know why I am so sensitive to medications. She doesn't know this, of course, but this sensitivity also applies to recreational drugs, i.e.-cannabis, shrooms, etc.

You don't want to deal with any medical practitioner that won't respect and protect your privacy nor do you want a treatment plan that doesn’t factor in your drug use. Have the talk with your Doc inform them of your usage and if you aren’t happy afterwards change Doctors.

howie105,
Reactions: Eschient

dimildarko

I agree with the above. Even if it's illegal where you are, find a new doctor if they aren't willing to accept your usage. I stopped going to a doctor because she wanted me to get drug tested every few months for my one prescription medication. It was just absurd to me and I have yet to go back.

dimildarko,
Reactions: Eschient

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
The only problem with confiding in your doctor is that if you live in a state where cannabis is illegal, it is considered a street drug. @Vicki is under pain management and would probably lose all of her prescription drugs if her doctor found out. And it isn't that easy to find a good doctor that you have a good relationship with, that is within your insurance plan. :2c:

howie105

The only problem with confiding in your doctor is that if you live in a state where cannabis is illegal, it is considered a street drug. @Vicki is under pain management and would probably lose all of her prescription drugs if her doctor found out. And it isn't that easy to find a good doctor that you have a good relationship with, that is within your insurance plan. :2c:

There are always hurtles to overcome with healthcare and taking the path of least resistance is not always the best path. However we all have our own situations and ways of dealing. For myself I want the Doctor operating with the optimum amount of information when treating me. With respect

howie105,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist

I think I may have worded this improperly. What I was meaning to say is that I am sensitive to ALL drugs, RX and recreational drugs. My GP just doesn't know I use cannabis, and it's going to stay that way because of exactly what @momofthegoons said:

There are always hurtles to overcome with healthcare and taking the path of least resistance is not always the best path. However we all have our own situations and ways of dealing. For myself I want the Doctor operating with the optimum amount of information when treating me. With respect

I am not well enough to take on the horrific task of finding a new, compassionate doctor where I live. They are not pro-cannabis here, and I can't take the chance that my new doctor will drop me.

The reason she is giving me this test is because I am so sensitive to every drug. I threw my guts up after every surgery I had last year because I was sensitive to the anesthesia. She is giving me the GeneSight Analgesic and the GeneSight Psychotropic tests. I think there is a mouth swab drug test, but this isn't it. I swabbed my own mouth, and it didn't even go into a sealed envelope. That particular envelope goes into another envelope to send out to GeneSight. I've seen how they treat the people at Quest. This is no recreational drug test. :)

Top Bottom