• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gel capsules

shredder

Malto powdered doesn't work ?
Dry filling caps will be so much easier and faster..

It was my question,..
lecithin is just an emulsifier, malto is needed to make powder from oil.
Mct + lecithin only make foam not powder, no ?

For tincture i've got no worries of conservation,.. but dried on cannasugar, i don't know if it store well..
And for oil, a droplet of water is enough to grow mold... when u used an eyedropper that u wash, u take risk of water droplet.. and oil sticks everywhere... tincture, powder or sugar doesn't..

I use mct oil, lecithin and a concentrate for both dosing in an eyedropper or for powdered cannabis.

I've never heard about cannabis oil going bad or molding, so without water you should be able to store loaded sugar or powdered cannabis a very long time.

I don't wash an eyedropper between uses. And I keep my infusions and powdered cannabis dry, no water.

Edit, yes powdered cannabis does work in capsules. I've made some by half filling a capsule with powder, then dripping an infused mct in it. The powder absorbs the oil and the capsule stays dry

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
does anyone know anything about canna oil made with high oleic sunflower oil? does it already contain lecithin? does it have any advantages over other oils? I've been using it for years and its been my favourite out of what I've tried.

been experimenting mixing it with sunflower lecithin and getting some very favourable results. I mixed a 1/2ml of the lecithin with 1ml of the canna oil which comes in at 24mg per ml. I've tried it three separate times and each time I've slept through the night which is a rare occerance for me. usually to guarantee a good night sleep I need a dose of at least 60mg and I wake a bit groggy, anything over 80mg and I wake up high. this is with being a occasional edible user, otherwise my tolerance gets screwed. but I'd be willing to make this more of a regular thing if I can keep my dose down and the combo seem to work for me.

Shadooz

yes powdered cannabis does work in capsules. I've made some by half filling a capsule with powder, then dripping an infused mct in it. The powder absorbs the oil and the capsule stays dry
But i don't want to drop oil :doh: :rofl:it sticks, i always loose a bit, and loose time..
I will let oil/butter for cooking, not caps.

I'm lucky to be wealthy enough, and still have a bit of curiosity, to buy and try the two ways...
That forum bring even more cornelian dilemma to every choices.. :rofl:

I use mct oil, lecithin and a concentrate for both dosing in an eyedropper or for powdered cannabis
But u didn't ask my only question, because how u said it, it seems u succeed to have dry powder with only mct+lecithin which is wrong ? Or my few research were false..

I've never heard about cannabis oil going bad or molding, so without water you should be able to store loaded sugar or powdered cannabis a very long time.
"You should",..
i don't know how cannasugar react after loosing all the ethanol, and having only cannabis plant matter on.
And for canna oil, there is mold issues in every forum..
If it can mold as oil, it may can as powdered with malto..:cry: Cornelian

Last edited:
Shadooz,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

But i don't want to drop oil :doh: :rofl:it sticks, i always loose a bit, and loose time..
I will let oil/butter for cooking, not caps.

I'm lucky to be wealthy enough, and still have a bit of curiosity, to buy and try the two ways...
That forum bring even more cornelian dilemma to every choices.. :rofl:

But u didn't ask my only question, because how u said it, it seems u succeed to have dry powder with only mct+lecithin which is wrong ? Or my few research were false..

"You should",..
i don't know how cannasugar react after loosing all the ethanol, and having only cannabis plant matter on.
And for canna oil, there is mold issues in every forum..
If it can mold as oil, it may can as powdered with malto..:cry: Cornelian

I still don't think rso would mold, unless it has water or plant materials or something else that could mold.

Depending on how you make it, it can have a large quantity of plant wax, maybe that can mold, but idk, never in over ten years of making it have I seen mold in RSO.

My powdered cannabis has been in a jar, on a shelf since last winter, with no changes.

I think if your careful mold shouldn't be an issue for all but the sloppiest extractors. If it's a big concern just store in a freezer.

I apologize if I didn't understand your questions. A bit of a language barrier I think.

shredder,
Reactions: Shadooz

Shadooz

My powdered cannabis has been in a jar, on a shelf since last winter, with no changes.
I apologize if I didn't understand your questions. A bit of a language barrier I think.

It was my question,..
lecithin is just an emulsifier, malto is needed to make powder from oil.
Mct + lecithin only make foam not powder, no ?

I Can't see the language barrier by myself..
U never use maltodextrin ?

Shadooz,

florduh

Ive been filling gel caps for years, at least ten, maybe more. And they're still my go to edible, especially at night. My wife and I have made rso/feco caps, sift hash caps, rosin caps, but most often simple weed caps.

For weed capsules we decarb the buds first, for 60 capsules I use 15 grams of buds, but we sometimes use popcorn buds from a variety of plants. Just remember junk in junk out, or in this case trim capsules won't be like bud capsules for strength. After decarbing (we use a nova fx) I grind the buds into flower. Then I use a 1 cup measuring cup to hold the ground up weed. Ive been using liquid lecithin for these because it's simpler than using the powdered. I use 'now' brand for what it's worth.

Then we fill to the 2 oz line on the glass measuring cup with liquid coconut oil. I stir the weed oil slurry until its mixed well. This will making 60 size 00 capsules give or take a couple. You can scale up or down from there. Because the mix becomes a thick slurry it's hard to fill capsules. So I cut off the tip of a pipette to make it easier to fill capsules. I just fill and cap each one by hand.

That's it your basic weed capsule. If desired, you can mix varieties, add cbd, or another cannabinoid isolate. To figure potency, first have a good idea of how strong the weed is and divide the total number by the portions, in this case 60.

Ive found you can really notice the varietal differences in weed caps, more so than a rso type edible, but rso capsules can be easier to work with and fill, and you need less. I like capsules 35-50 mg, stronger than that it gets hard to fill enough weed into capsules. It's obviously easier to make strong capsules with concentrates, just be sure to decarb unless your interested in thca or cbda edibles. I've also started adding terpenes, at the rate of 5 drops per 2 oz of the slurry mix. The sativa mix terpene I used seemed to make a difference on caps filled with columbian gold popcorn buds I recently made.

For sleep inducing caps we start with a few grams extra of herb and decarb half the weed twice, and half once. The extra decarb degrades the thc making cbn, and then cbn's help with sleep. Keep in mind cbn's are not all that psychoactive, that's why I add a few more grams to the mix. Capsules filled with abv can also be helpful for sleep.

There you have it, if you want to make simple consistent edibles filling gel caps is a great way to go. You need weed, or concentrates, gel caps, we use size 00 empty gel caps, plastic pipettes, liquid lecithin, and coconut oil. Everything except the weed you can get off amazon.

Dude, now you have me interested in gel caps. I can get an ounce of pre-ground weed here for $40. And it's much better than the "shake" ounces I would get in Cali. It's just ground too fine for my liking.

One question I have is, where are you getting your terps from? Are they cannabis derived? You can get some fairly cheap hemp derived terps these days. I don't like adding terps to anything I'll inhale, but my liver can fucking deal with it.

shredder

Dude, now you have me interested in gel caps. I can get an ounce of pre-ground weed here for $40. And it's much better than the "shake" ounces I would get in Cali. It's just ground too fine for my liking.

One question I have is, where are you getting your terps from? Are they cannabis derived? You can get some fairly cheap hemp derived terps these days. I don't like adding terps to anything I'll inhale, but my liver can fucking deal with it.

I got the terpenes I used for experimenting filling carts (mostly a failure). They came from a variety of places including some from Amazon. None were great in carts, but that's another story.

Since you eat it I doubt it makes a huge difference if it's cannabis derived but idk.

I add them at five drops per 60 capsules, so 1/12th of a drop per dose. I really like a sativa blend, but I don't remember where I got it, lol.

Blue dream terpenes on blue dream buds works great. The ride takes you right to that line of too much, then finishes very relaxing, just like vaping the buds

I use buds that I grow and use the lower of estimates as to the THC amounts. Idk about $40 weed. Do you vape it?

In my caps with my weed the most I can get in a size 00 cap is roughly 50mg. After that the mix gets too thick to get into a cap.

I use plastic pipettes and cut some of the tip off. It makes easier to get it to suck the mix up. I usually shoot for 40-45 mg each, lesser amounts are thinner and easier to work with. I stir every time I fill the pipette. It helps if the mix is warm not hot as well. (Coconut oil)

The math is estimate the THC in mg, the divide by the dosage desired in mg. That number will be the amount of doses at that strength.

A size 00 capsules holds .91ml. multiply the number of capsules by .91. that will be how much oil to add in ml.

Use a glass measuring cup or beaker graduated in ml. Put the powder in first, then I either add a dab of liquid lecithin or premix the lecithin and coconut oil. I warm the oil in a microwave.

Add the oil carefully. At first it doesn't look like you will use any oil, but when it mixes the level will go down. Add to the ml line you calculated, and stir, and look as it mixes. You wanna get this part right. Too much means weaker and vise versa.

Mix well with gentle heat, or infuse in a device, and fill caps stirring often.

You should get the number and dosage you estimated, or stoner close.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Just wanted to share a tip I figured out - be mindful of oil falling off the sides of the pipette/dropper while filling and getting on the outside of the capsule. When that happens you basically lubricate the body of the capsule where the lid locks on and if this happens the lid will never make as good of a seal. You can observe it visually by seeing oil smears between the lid and body. With my last batch of capsules I had a few that leaked a little bit of oil in a bag where I stored them, I'm pretty confident it's from this happening.

In other news - purchasing the pre-separated capsules was well worth the few extra dollars!

Nina

Hello👋🙂
I've been lurking here for a while and wanted to say thanks for all the info posted on this thread. I am in the foothills of my edibles journey so here to learn and hopefully contribute where I can!
Currently I use RSO (melted into olive oil for more accurate dosing) I find 80mg of rso to be a good dose, it does taste grim though so I shall be sourcing some gel capsules to help with that!
I find that, if taken on an empty stomach it lands in about 40 minutes and is nicely soporific & sedative with a good buzz, albeit a much lower buzz than one experiences with vaped flower (which I do miss- I wont lie😶)

shredder

Hello👋🙂
I've been lurking here for a while and wanted to say thanks for all the info posted on this thread. I am in the foothills of my edibles journey so here to learn and hopefully contribute where I can!
Currently I use RSO (melted into olive oil for more accurate dosing) I find 80mg of rso to be a good dose, it does taste grim though so I shall be sourcing some gel capsules to help with that!
I find that, if taken on an empty stomach it lands in about 40 minutes and is nicely soporific & sedative with a good buzz, albeit a much lower buzz than one experiences with vaped flower (which I do miss- I wont lie😶)

Curious as to how you came up with 80mg of RSO.

I try to estimate mg of THC per dose from whatever source. I'm not sure we're on the same page. I'd be buzzed for a long time on 80mg of THC. We typically use 35-50mg THC per dose.

I add CBD along with THC in my homemade RSO at anywhere from 10% to 25%, CBD. To me adding the CBD makes the RSO more uplifting and enjoyable.

Adding food grade terpenes could help as well.

To replicate those vaped flower effects you like, look into making capsules from decarbed flowers. I find the effects closely mimic the vaped effects.

Nina

Curious as to how you came up with 80mg of RSO.

I try to estimate mg of THC per dose from whatever source. I'm not sure we're on the same page. I'd be buzzed for a long time on 80mg of THC. We typically use 35-50mg THC per dose.

I add CBD along with THC in my homemade RSO at anywhere from 10% to 25%, CBD. To me adding the CBD makes the RSO more uplifting and enjoyable.

Adding food grade terpenes could help as well.

To replicate those vaped flower effects you like, look into making capsules from decarbed flowers. I find the effects closely mimic the vaped effects.
I melt 1g /1000mg of rso into 19ml of olive oil, that way I have have 50mg of rso per 1ml of rso-olive oil mix, I use a syringe and draw up 1.5 -1.6 ml in total which gives me 75 -80 mg of rso. I'm not sure what the exact concentration of thc is in the rso, Google seems to think it's about 50% so that would be 40 mg of THC in my 80 mg of rso?
Or have I got confused somewhere?
A few weeks back while I was still experimenting with rso doses I took 260 mg of it one night (which I presume would be 130 mg of THC?) I then also vaped probably about .3 of a gram, I did feel very strange all the next day I have to admit and it put me off using rso for a while.
Thank you for your advice about flowers, that would be fantastic if it works more like vaping💃🏼 I do have some flower that I want to decarb, I'm worried about getting it wrong but I plan to do it in the oven and do my research on here!

vonfatman

shredder's thoughts on eating decarbed flower
brought to mind this past weeks activities.

during the past week i have been messing around with an ‘instipot’ type pressure cooker and it has been a
real learning experience!

i have decarbed various flower this week.
also, i have made mct infussed oil in this pot.

my favorite way to enjoy this device is to decarb small batches of various flower and to sample said flower each morning. a gram or 1.2 g works excellent for me. it is an amazing starter! i like cottage cheese in the am and mix the gram with it and swallow a teaspoon/caps of lecith. in 1.5hrs....the wake-n-bake gets me going with a smile!

this may sound nutty, but i MUCH prefer eating bud to taking oils made from bud. it is so much like a vape that it's like fallin' off a wagon!

enjoy you week and many thanks for all the terrific ideas!

shredder

I melt 1g /1000mg of rso into 19ml of olive oil, that way I have have 50mg of rso per 1ml of rso-olive oil mix, I use a syringe and draw up 1.5 -1.6 ml in total which gives me 75 -80 mg of rso. I'm not sure what the exact concentration of thc is in the rso, Google seems to think it's about 50% so that would be 40 mg of THC in my 80 mg of rso?
Or have I got confused somewhere?
A few weeks back while I was still experimenting with rso doses I took 260 mg of it one night (which I presume would be 130 mg of THC?) I then also vaped probably about .3 of a gram, I did feel very strange all the next day I have to admit and it put me off using rso for a while.
Thank you for your advice about flowers, that would be fantastic if it works more like vaping💃🏼 I do have some flower that I want to decarb, I'm worried about getting it wrong but I plan to do it in the oven and do my research on here!

Unless your rso was tested you have to estimate the THC (or total cannabinoid %) percentage. And the actual amount of THC can vary wildly. But if we can talk about THC percentage rather than percentage of RSO, it would be less confusing, at least for me, lol.

I agree about the rso buzz, I feel the same way. But like I said we can tweak the effects.

shredder's thoughts on eating decarbed flower
brought to mind this past weeks activities.

during the past week i have been messing around with an ‘instipot’ type pressure cooker and it has been a
real learning experience!

i have decarbed various flower this week.
also, i have made mct infussed oil in this pot.

my favorite way to enjoy this device is to decarb small batches of various flower and to sample said flower each morning. a gram or 1.2 g works excellent for me. it is an amazing starter! i like cottage cheese in the am and mix the gram with it and swallow a teaspoon/caps of lecith. in 1.5hrs....the wake-n-bake gets me going with a smile!

this may sound nutty, but i MUCH prefer eating bud to taking oils made from bud. it is so much like a vape that it's like fallin' off a wagon!

enjoy you week and many thanks for all the terrific ideas!

Have you tried mct oil? Coconut oil? Mct oil has a very neutral taste. The best I've used to hide the cannabis taste. I mix it with concentrates and dose from an eyedropper. I use coconut oil in capsules.

Two benefits are that oil helps with the time it takes to feel it, and the overall strength. Ive tried decarbed buds with and without. And in capsules you don't have any taste to deal with.

florduh

The concept of strain specific edibles is fascinating to me. It’s just not something you can really buy at any dispensary, in my experience.

Do decarbed flower capsules take much longer than an infusion to kick in? And do they have a longer or more unpredictable length of effects? Digesting plant matter seems like it might be less consistent than a homogenous oil or alcohol infusion.

Very cool concept though. And seems much easier than infusing.

shredder

The concept of strain specific edibles is fascinating to me. It’s just not something you can really buy at any dispensary, in my experience.

Do decarbed flower capsules take much longer than an infusion to kick in? And do they have a longer or more unpredictable length of effects? Digesting plant matter seems like it might be less consistent than a homogenous oil or alcohol infusion.

Very cool concept though. And seems much easier than infusing.

When I make capsules from decarbed flowers, I grind to powder, and this is important when you fill capsules. Then mix with lecithin and coconut oil.

These capsules will take roughly 40 minutes to an hour depending on if I recently ate or not. And depending on the strength typically lasts for 5-6 hours.

Capsules filled with decarbed ground buds takes me two hours to feel anything and only lasts a couple hours.

I feel the best feature of herbal capsules is how close they are in effects to vaping the same buds.

The cons are capsules can be hard to fill because the stronger you make the mix the thicker it is. And at roughly 50mg it's just too thick.

I use plastic pipettes to fill capsules with and cut the tip off to make it easier to suck up the slurry.

Nina

I feel the best feature of herbal capsules is how close they are in effects to vaping the same buds
I'm so intrigued as to why the capsules are closer to vaping than other types of edible? Is it at least in part to do with the details of the decarbing process?
Then mix with lecithin and coconut oil.
These capsules will take roughly 40 minutes to an hour depending on if I recently ate or not. And depending on the strength typically lasts for 5-6 hours.
Capsules filled with decarbed ground buds takes me two hours to feel anything and only lasts a couple hours.
So, as compared to the oiled caps the dry ones take a long time and are over quickly? But wouldnt this make them not worth using compared to the oil+ lecithin version? Or is the effect different/better in some way?
thanks for sharing your methods & your results😊🙏

shredder

So, as compared to the oiled caps the dry ones take a long time and are over quickly? But wouldnt this make them not worth using compared to the oil+ lecithin version? Or is the effect different/better in some way?
thanks for sharing your methods & your results😊🙏

It's just that the question of using dry caps comes up from time to time. I tried it again just this year to confirm it again in my mind. It'd be convenient if they did work, for sure.

Because we're all different someone else might have different results, so if your curious, try it each way.

vonfatman

I use dry herb caps every day. It is part of my meds.

I decarb the flower or kief in our "instapot" type pressure cooker.

Then, as sherdder suggests, I "flower" my flower in our old nut/spice grinder.

I want the herb to be as fine as I can get before i pack caps.

I use 00 size caps.

A half-hour to 45 min before swollowing the day's dry flower caps:
I swallow four 00 caps of sunflower lecithin
& either...
Eat a high fat food or four 00 caps of MCT

The dry flower caps to me is my first fav for medibles.
....an important consideration.....I have not made shredder's oil/flower caps yet!.....I may switch when I try them!

vfm

shredder

Made 3 batches of caps yesterday. Gelato, wedding cake, and a double decarbed 9 pound hammer sift hash with a indica rosin kicker. The first two are about 35-40mg each by my estimate, and the 9 pound hammer caps are for sleep and 45mg per cap. I think that makes 15 varieties of caps in our fridge's freezer now, and 3 more in our upright freezer, plus the assorted chocolate bars, cookies, infused maple syrup, infused mct and powdered cannabis, lol.

I bought a bunch of empty pill bottles, and stick on labels off amazon to store the capsules. For travel I use empty supplement bottles and solid colored gel caps for stealth.

My first taste of wedding cake and gelato, I've never vaped or smoked either one. Both are very relaxing and make for a nice mellow afternoon buzz. Now what will I try tomorrow?

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Made 3 batches of caps yesterday. Gelato, wedding cake, and a double decarbed 9 pound hammer sift hash with a indica rosin kicker. The first two are about 35-40mg each by my estimate, and the 9 pound hammer caps are for sleep and 45mg per cap. I think that makes 15 varieties of caps in our fridge's freezer now, and 3 more in our upright freezer, plus the assorted chocolate bars, cookies, infused maple syrup, infused mct and powdered cannabis, lol.

I bought a bunch of empty pill bottles, and stick on labels off amazon to store the capsules. For travel I use empty supplement bottles and solid colored gel caps for stealth.

My first taste of wedding cake and gelato, I've never vaped or smoked either one. Both are very relaxing and make for a nice mellow afternoon buzz. Now what will I try tomorrow?

Geez... you should have your own YouTube channel! Wealth of info, read the whole short thread, an with your experience, you qualify as an expert in this topic. I’m just beginning my own, homemade edible journey. My initial goal is to make CBD gummies, then capsules, and then THC versions next. Right now I’m in the research mode, and looking at the Levo 2 to decarb & make small infusions, most likely MCT coconut oil, lecithin. You can put 2 pods in the Levo, each holding 7-10 grams each, and get 2 cups of output, more then enough for a single person.

So thanks for all your knowledge and participation, as well as the other members here, I’ll be lurking until I know what questions to ask....

shredder

Right now I’m in the research mode, and looking at the Levo 2 to decarb & make small infusions

Can you make small Infusions in a levo? I thought I read you need a certain amount of oil.

Most of my Infusions are fueled by concentrates. When I use buds it's for capsules and I use the buds in the capsules so no straining needed and I use small amounts of oil.

So for me, the Nova fx works well. No minimum amounts needed. And I can decarb concentrates (rosin) in the fx.

My Infusions are just mixing decarbed buds or concentrates with oils. Something I'd rather do on a coffee warmer. Less clean up.

shredder,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Can you make small Infusions in a levo? I thought I read you need a certain amount of oil.

Most of my Infusions are fueled by concentrates. When I use buds it's for capsules and I use the buds in the capsules so no straining needed and I use small amounts of oil.

So for me, the Nova fx works well. No minimum amounts needed. And I can decarb concentrates (rosin) in the fx.

My Infusions are just mixing decarbed buds or concentrates with oils. Something I'd rather do on a coffee warmer. Less clean up.

According to the Levo 2 Manual, the unit can take 5-19 ounces of liquid, the flower pod that goes inside, has to be covered by liquid, so that might determine the minimal as well. All the online reviews say the one big negative is the LOW capacity, so I assume that people who cook with infusions, need a higher capacity, but if I can do 8 ounces of finished juice, I should be able to make a good sized batch of gummies. Easier to fill a gummy type silicone tray then capsules too. Also, I assume I can just add my finished infusions to drinks etc., or just take a measured dose via spoon.

The idea of using the finished juice/infusion in a CAPSULE, was perhaps too optimistic, as it seems from what you and others have posted, that an infused juice like MCT based, would be too LIQUID at room temperature, and leak. So I may have to stick to making gummies, and later come back to using decarbed flower mixes as you are doing. Using concentrates for infusions where I live would be too expensive. Figured I’d start by learning with inexpensive CBD flower, before using my THC flower $300/ounce, in 1/4-1/2 ounce runs in the infuser. My last gummy order was 10 500mg bags at $35/each, I could have paid for the Levo 2, so if it works as claimed, I will end up saving money, quickly. Besides, I’ll know what’s in my juice, the expensive gummies always seem weak, and not worth the price.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Easier to fill a gummy type silicone tray then capsules too

For Sure, but making good gummies is a LOT harder than filling capsules.

Also the water in gummies makes them way more likely to need mold inhibitors. With Capsules it’s essentially a non-issue, coconut oil itself is antibacterial.

I used to make some pretty serious gummies but it’s a lot more work than capsules. They’re best for micro doses, anything stronger than that and they get strong flavors, I prefer to hide the flavor in a capsule.

Top Bottom