Funny Stoner Comedy, If it's your thing... [Reggie Watts]

McNerdius

god of nerds
I've only seen Reggie Watts mentioned on here a total of three times. Yes, he is a little bit "out there" but the thing to know about him is that he started as a musician. He is not a comedian by trade, but rather a musician. His shit is funny as hell if you appreciate that the vast majority of his work is improv.

And with that, i give you :

Reggie Watts, Why Shit So Crazy ???

That's part one of 7, i imagine y'all might be able to figure out how to click urselves into the next 6. :)

For pre-existing Reggie Watts fans who might not know, his band is called Maktub. Something like 5-6 albums out now i think. $5 each off their site. Worth it IMO. My favorite is Khronos.

McNerdius,

hereatlast

I'm a big Reggie Watts fan (was I one of the people that mentioned him?)! Great special. Amazingly talented for sure.

hereatlast,

Nycdeisel

I loved that but had never heard of him before. I think Im a fan now :lol:

thanks for posting it!

Nycdeisel,

cluffy

Vaker
Rap isn't my thing either weedemon, but this guy has a great voice and talent. Lyrics are awesome too.

"But I'm gonna cut 'em in half because nobody needs a whole croissant!!"

cluffy,

Nycdeisel

looks like he snorts a good amount of cocaine, he even high-lighted his coke nail :lol:

a little out there but i enjoyed that one!

Nycdeisel,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
He didn't make me laugh as much as I expect a comedian to, but maybe I just don't "get it"... YET. But I do appreciate the musical talent. His voice is amazing and I really enjoyed all his songs. Definitely a unique style of comedy. I'll be keeping my eye on him.

CombustionJunction,

MajorDoobage

Stationary Traveler
I absolutely love Reggie Watts! I got hooked on him after watching thisperformance at Bonaroo on youtube. What he lacks in raw comedy, he makes up for with insane and mesmerizing musical talent. To label his craft as "comedy" would be a misnomer, because it's so much more than that. After the 5th or 6th listen to his songs, you start to fully grasp the genius of his work. What amazes me is he can improvise 80% of a song, and most of it is incoherent jibberish, then he blasts you with a deeply profound message!

"Take a little time child
Put yourself on another grid
Locate yourself in time and space
Use a reference point so you know exactly where you are
Use Greenwich Mean time
but in the meantime
use a cesium atomic clock for reference
because it's on a molecular level and the differential is very slight throughout millions of years
it's a good thing to base your opinions on
yes, I know
get yourself together"

When I first heard this I was like WTF?! If you have time, watch the "presentation" he gave at a Google conference. It's incredibly long, but Watts really demonstrates his intelligence and ability to improvise. The best part is the audience! He got a few chuckles here and there, but you know the majority of attendees were so mindfucked they had no idea how to react lol.

I also love how Watts is a proponent of psychedelics and cannabis. He's mentioned several times that he consumes edibles regularly (shocking I know!) and he's high about 60% of the time he's performing. He says that cannabis allows him to explore the outer edges of his consciousness, and enables him to go further with his performance than if he were sober.

The video posted by the OP is from a CD/DVD combo. If you liked the video, I'd also recommend the CD with the same title. It has 14 tracks that you don't hear in the video, and they are equally brilliant.

MajorDoobage,

McNerdius

god of nerds
Thanks majordoobage for mentioning the Google presentation ! I *thought* i had seen it, but i'm pretty sure i'd only seen roughly half of it. I recall the intro and the questions at the end, but i think the vid i'd seen before had been clipped, as i dont recall about half of the 'content.' Then again, i was probably baked at the time....

Also, the lyrics/quote you posted... If i had to pick out the "thing" that got me hooked on Reggie... that section of the DVD is it. [~34 min into vid] Well, that and his George Carlin, but that's a different story. It is this hybrid skill set of his, when combined with his attitude on life that cannot fail to leave me in a better mood when i am done watching it.

One last tidbit regarding genius: The man's fluent in four languages for fuck's sake ! This man never ceases to amaze me ! </fanboy>

[slips in ninja-like to toss in a link to maktub]

free previews of all Maktub's music

:ninja:

McNerdius,
Top Bottom