NFC Forum Software, questions, comments, requests

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Rather than discussing software issues in the "about" thread I thought a separate dedicated thread a good idea.

Is it possible to turn on the label that shows the number of new posts in a thread?quantity.JPG

CybrGuy,
Reactions: Jill NYC

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Rather than discussing software issues in the "about" thread I thought a separate dedicated thread a good idea.

Is it possible to turn on the label that shows the number of new posts in a thread?View attachment 885

I'll look into that, but no promises.

Somebody somewhere asked for fluid layout styles. Those are now available. If only I could find the original request...

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Does anyone know what the red dot on the tab icon for an individual thread signifies? It happens to be in Firefox but I'm pretty sure it is coming from the forum.

CybrGuy,
Reactions: Summer

Summer

Long Island, NY
@pakalolo, this is one of my previous posted questions that I never got a definitive answer to:

What's the white eye(?) icon that appears to the right of a thread in the New Posts thread?. Someone (Siebter?) said it signifies watched thread, but that can't be because I have it next to threads I never followed or even opened. :/, I'd really like to know. If you don't know, the answer can wait since I know you guys are busy.

Edited to add: I figured it out! It is for tagging Watched Threads. As far as I can see in a superficial lookover, my WTs are being correctly tagged in all forums & sub-forums, except in New Posts - as I said, add'l. unwatched threads are being erroneously tagged as watched. It's a simple software glitch. It isn't even significant enough to fix.

Ha! Looks like I answered my own question.

Last edited:
Summer,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I think it would be useful to have the permalinks back. It is a very easy way to point to a post.

CybrGuy,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I'd like a thumbs-down button for posts to show disagreement or displeasure, especially in the FC Meme & FU threads. I don't think a thumbs-down violates the "be nice" stance of FC.

I thought I couldn't do this without and add-on but it seems that I can. I'll work on it.

edit: added.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Does anyone know what the red dot on the tab icon for an individual thread signifies? It happens to be in Firefox but I'm pretty sure it is coming from the forum.
These are what I mean. Are others seeing them?
reddots.JPG
They may be related to new messages but they don't seem consistent.

CybrGuy,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Thanks Pak.
I have been meaning to ask this for a while. I don't know much about being on the other side of a web forum. Does it cause any stress or use up a lot of bandwidth if I stay connected to the site with several (many) tabs open? I tend to leave a browser window open almost all the time, often with many tabs, but I don't need to do that if it is consuming all the time rather than just when I do a refresh.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Thanks Pak.
I have been meaning to ask this for a while. I don't know much about being on the other side of a web forum. Does it cause any stress or use up a lot of bandwidth if I stay connected to the site with several (many) tabs open? I tend to leave a browser window open almost all the time, often with many tabs, but I don't need to do that if it is consuming all the time rather than just when I do a refresh.

You can leave as many windows as you like open, server doesn't do anything unless you load a page.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Thanks, @pakalolo, for adding a thumbs down smiley Like response. I will use it prudently & I hope others will, too. The only other one I'd like to see added to the mix is this one :thinker: as occasionally I'm confused as to what a post means.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
@pakalolo

:rofl:

Thank you. You :rockon:.

You're welcome. I thought it was a nice addition but I couldn't use the smiley because it wound up looking distorted. I made our own from some free clipart that I found.

The "likes" system works a little differently from FC. We have a "reaction score" rather than a likes count. "Like" and "love" increase the reaction score by 1. "Dislike" decreases it by 1. The other reactions do not change the reaction score.

pakalolo,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Summer

Long Island, NY
Don't understand what falls under the Vapor-related thread. Can you please give me a couple of topic examples? Thanks.

Summer,

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I've noticed a few things, the first is a issue with picture heavy threads like the picture thread or show off your grows. When there is a new post and I click on the thread it takes me to the new post but before it loads older post load first and the page scrolls up toward the middle of the thread which is a bit annoying. The second thing is I'm no longer getting the other options for a like such as the haha, I did have those options before but don't anymore.

The picture issue is on both my iPad and iPhone, I do have high speed internet but it's Canadian high speed :rolleyes: the like issue is only on my iPad

Bad Dog,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I've noticed a few things, the first is a issue with picture heavy threads like the picture thread or show off your grows. When there is a new post and I click on the thread it takes me to the new post but before it loads older post load first and the page scrolls up toward the middle of the thread which is a bit annoying.

The picture issue is on both my iPad and iPhone, I do have high speed internet but it's Canadian high speed :rolleyes: the like issue is only on my iPad
I have always seen this issue on my iPad, on old site as well.
I don’t think there is a fix, I’ve just gotten used to it.

I have no problem with the like issue you mention - just checked and when I click “like” several emojis are available to choose. Maybe a restart will fix it.

Jill NYC,
Reactions: Bad Dog

Tranquility

I don't know if this is the right place, but recall a problem with some people signing up with Gmail and the "fuck" in combustion. It may be a windows problem too:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ous-problem-deleted-emails-spam/#67504ba9447c

“The latest version of Windows Mail has broken the settings for Gmail,” confirmed a Windows Insider MVP. Stating that the only workarounds are to either a) remove your Gmail account from the Mail app and weaken the security settings in Gmail by allowing access to less secure apps (guide), or b) remove your account and use Gmail’s manual IMAP settings (guide). If you are lucky, you may be able to recover some of your lost email from spam afterwards.

Tranquility,

unsorted

How can I stop receiving email notices when someone posts in a thread that I watch? I have unchecked the boxes in "account details", "privacy", and "preferences" sections of my profile, but I'm still getting the emails. Appreciate any help.

unsorted,

unsorted

@unsorted deselect all of the email related checkboxes on your account preferences page as you said.

And also go to your watched threads page and disable email notifications.

That should do it. :)
Just to be clear....this is not a new circumstance for me. I have been receiving the unwanted emails going back indefinitely. I used a Gmail account in my FC setup, which until recently, I seldom checked. But I got a new android phone a few months ago and I included the Gmail account in setting up the mail client on the phone. So now, the phone alerts me via Gmail every time someone posts in a watched thread. I'd prefer that email was not sent at all.

I've deselected all the email checkboxes I can find, but no change so far.

unsorted,
Top Bottom