First steps into decarb

condition

Hi guys, so combustion fucked my upper respiratory over previous decades and now I want to add edibles to my daily intake via vaporization. Where I live THC edibles are not so popular or widely available, so I am planning to order a decarboxylator soon (DAS instead of VAS).

So I am very open to suggestions, to order a reliable decarboxylation machine from Europe, preferably for smaller quantities like an ounce or two.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Hey @condition
Thinking self same thing but also considering making something.
I have temp probes with alarms (I use them for my smoker of meat and fish) so am thinking of inserting these into a suitable container. The expensive ready made versions seem to do something similar.
This way I can get really accurate temps instead of relying on oven thermostat which are generally unreliable.
In the past I've squished herb to rosin and decarbed this in oil bath using same probes to maintain the correct temp.

Anyway, going to follow along....

justcametomind

I was in the same position years ago, I found out that I'd need anything else than my oven and a cooking temperature probe

justcametomind,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

I use a Nova fx. And it gets a ton of use. I have 3 patients that use edibles plus my wife and I. And of course I give some away.

If it was just my wife and I, and I was looking there are some newer, less pricey options that I've seen on Amazon that I would consider.

And for the considerable odor decarbing can generate you can use a glass jar to hold the herb in an oven or instant pot.

Basically the current wisdom is 240°F for 40 minutes to decarb herb however you get there.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Looks like the NOVA is history....

From the Ardent site:

“Goodbye FOREVER to the Nova 💔 ANNOUNCING THE RETIREMENT OF ARDENT’S OG DEVICE”

RustyOldNail,
  • Wow

shredder

Looks like the NOVA is history....

From the Ardent site:

“Goodbye FOREVER to the Nova 💔 ANNOUNCING THE RETIREMENT OF ARDENT’S OG DEVICE”

Is there a super Nova coming ?

I like that there's some competition now. Maybe Ardent will drop some prices.

shredder,

RustyOldNail

Is there a super Nova coming ?

I like that there's some competition now. Maybe Ardent will drop some prices.

I have no idea, the site only seems to be touting the FX model now. I looked at the FX, by the time you get all the accessories I’m interested in, it’s as or more expensive then the Levo 2, which can now decarb and infuse. Only downside for some is less capacity of herb. But you can now put TWO of the Levo pods, in the unit doubling the capacity to 14-? grams. Since this is for me only, I don’t need to process ounces, and deal with freezing the access oils for freshness. Doing my homework now. The FX can also BAKE a few muffins, with ADDED $$$ accessories, but I don’t bake either.....

shredder

I have no idea, the site only seems to be touting the FX model now. I looked at the FX, by the time you get all the accessories I’m interested in, it’s as or more expensive then the Levo 2, which can now decarb and infuse. Only downside for some is less capacity of herb. But you can now put TWO of the Levo pods, in the unit doubling the capacity to 14-? grams. Since this is for me only, I don’t need to process ounces, and deal with freezing the access oils for freshness. Doing my homework now. The FX can also BAKE a few muffins, with ADDED $$$ accessories, but I don’t bake either.....
Have you looked at the other decarb machines on Amazon?

I have the French press thing that came in a bundle sale that I don't use.

And now my silicone sleeve I used all the time got saturated with resins. Everytime I use it it gets sticky inside and out and I have rinse it with iso and run it through our dishwasher. So now I don't use that either. It's easier to clean the unit itself and not use the sleeve.

shredder,
Reactions: Ramahs

RustyOldNail

Have you looked at the other decarb machines on Amazon?

I have the French press thing that came in a bundle sale that I don't use.

And now my silicone sleeve I used all the time got saturated with resins. Everytime I use it it gets sticky inside and out and I have rinse it with iso and run it through our dishwasher. So now I don't use that either. It's easier to clean the unit itself and not use the sleeve.

From my recent research, the top units are Magic Butter, Ardent, and Levo. I’m just starting my infusion research, but I don’t see much else competing. Of course there are tons of Chinese clones available on Amazon/Internet, but I’ve learned life is too short to try and save a few bucks on these types of purchases. I’m not saying they don’t work, and some may be as good or better, but I’ll put my money on devices with a track record and decent warranty.

I’m obviously not considering all the possible homemade oven techniques. Seems the only real work besides cleanup, is the Levo2 requires you to course grind, so I’ll finally be able to use my BCG “course” plate! :)

shredder

same here! I just use my rubbish old oven along with a very cheap thermometer, honestly I'm very happy with it. That said I've not used any of those devices so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing?😶

Have you used a mason jar or oven bag? They're suppose to help with the odor and I think they might retain more terpenes. I've read before, maybe on the ardent site, that the nova retained more terpenes than other methods tested. I'm thinking its because it's enclosed.

I used to use the oven with the herb on a sheet of foil, but my fx works a lot better and less stinky then how I used to do it. I didn't try decarbing in a jar or oven bag or even in a sous vide back then because I just didn't know then what ive learned now.

condition

From my recent research, the top units are Magic Butter, Ardent, and Levo. I’m just starting my infusion research, but I don’t see much else competing. Of course there are tons of Chinese clones available on Amazon/Internet, but I’ve learned life is too short to try and save a few bucks on these types of purchases. I’m not saying they don’t work, and some may be as good or better, but I’ll put my money on devices with a track record and decent warranty.

I’m obviously not considering all the possible homemade oven techniques. Seems the only real work besides cleanup, is the Levo2 requires you to course grind, so I’ll finally be able to use my BCG “course” plate! :)
Hey can you confirm that the Magic butter acts also as decarboxylator? It is available and fast in my location but I thought it was to create butter (LoL 😂) or other edibles after the decarboxylation process, in other words I thought that you should load it decarb weed...
Otherwise it is very popular in Europe and I may proceed.

RustyOldNail

Hey can you confirm that the Magic butter acts also as decarboxylator? It is available and fast in my location but I thought it was to create butter (LoL 😂) or other edibles after the decarboxylation process, in other words I thought that you should load it decarb weed...
Otherwise it is very popular in Europe and I may proceed.

Chicken is CORRECT. If you really want a MBM, you could decarb in oven or buy inexpensive unit like the smaller NOVA, they recently announced on the ARDENT site, that the Nova is being discontinued, but they are still available.

shredder

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but I usually pre dry my herb before decarbing. It's probably better if you decarb in a vessel of some kind.

My decarber will decarb hydrated buds but it pops the lid off. Pressure causes it apparently. And the decarbed buds aren't as dry for grinding for making capsules. Even with infusing butter, less water is better.

condition

i graduated from the NOVA to the FX, which is a dream to clean - totally waterproof, even claims to be dishwasher safe, but i always wash by hand in the sink. spouse uses it all the time to make her sleeping oil.
Its very difficult to find ardent products in Europe, the ones that are fast available without customs' hassle are

Nebula Boost Decarboxylator https://nebulaboost.com/products/nebula-boost-decarboxylator

Pot by Noids https://noids.green/products/pot-by-noids

Do you have any experience in any of these two? Pot by noids seems multifunctional

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
@condition
As you have listed a UK company I've included a UK based supplier of the fx.

I've heard ok reports on the nebula. Quite small I think, not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

FNG

I have an Ardent FX and can report that it does a better decarb
But the oven works
Do recommend buying several oven thermometers and calibrating your oven so you decarb at times and temps you want
240f (115c) for 40 minutes (40 minutes)
I consider the decarb the most important step in making potent edibles

rotnot

condition

can you give some more info? Like does this work as well as Ardent? I have emailed the UK seller for Ardent but not received reply yet on the other hand the Instant Pot is available locally.

condition,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
you should look into getting a cheap used sous vide after looking at the site sousweed.com. It's perfect for both decarbing and infusing.
I bought my sous vide from facebook marketplace for about 30 dollars and it's my go to for infusing oil, even though i have a magical butter machine.
It does decarb very well; very gently and exacting, I just don't need to use it for that because I have an old Ardent Nova.

mnocito

Being new to edibles I got tired of DYI methods for decarbing, mainly because I sucked at it. Finally I broke down and bought a decarber on Amazon. Sweet baby Jesus this was much better. Set it for 1 of 3 temps and forget it. I paid about $100 for it and I know I wasted more than that trying to learn to decarb.

I was also surprised that it does a kick ass job of infusing oil-based food like butter, or coconut oil). Similar to how a crockpot would. It fits about 1/2 an ounce, which is perfect for me because I cook in small batches. Of all my gear this is one of my favorites.

My main product has been infused coconut oil in this machine. I pour it into some butter molds (they have the dosage lines on the side) and add it to either coffee, or I have found heating it up in water and dumping some MIO in it works. Get the refined version of less coconut flavor.

Top Bottom