First Serious Portable Vape

idkalaska

Hi All!

I’m brandy spankin’ new to this forum! I’ve arrived here after reading too much about different portable vapes, and I am more torn than ever. The choices are overwhelming! Any advice, tips or personal stories would be SO helpful in making my decision. I currently own an Arizer Extreme Q and I love it. I also own a piece of shit V2 Series 3.

I need something portable and potent for home and away (car rides, overnights, business trips, vacations, etc.).

Here’s my criteria/specs:
  1. I would prefer a full convection vape for maximum efficiency and quality
  2. I will probably only ever use it for dry herb (doesn’t need to be dual)
  3. Must pack a serious punch! I have a fairly high tolerance and vape daily, so I need something that can be a heavy hitter
  4. Not a necessity, but it would be nice if the oven was large enough to get me where I want to go without reloading
  5. I prefer to sip my bud on my own time, instead of being forced to finish it all in one session, so I think an on demand vape is a necessity
  6. Although it does not need to be pocket portable, it needs to fit in a bag/purse/backpack
  7. Not a necessity, but I would like it to be as smell-free as possible
  8. Long battery life would be nice; or at least the ability to vape while charging (I like the idea of a replaceable battery)
I know that everyone has their personal preference when it comes to vaping, but that’s what I want to hear about! What is your most reliable, go to portable vape? What makes it so great?

Some vapes that I am interested in (in no particular order, and not limited to):
  • Ghost MV1
  • Arizer Solo II
  • Arizer Air II
  • Arizer ArGo
  • Haze Square Pro
Other factors:
  • Expense is second to quality and meeting my criteria (I want something amazing, not something cheap)
  • Mostly for solo use, or a couple friends on trips
Any advice or assistance from this community would be extremely helpful! Let me know if there is anything I can clarify. I look forward to hearing about your favorite portables!

Thank you!
-idkalaska

idkalaska,
Reactions: stonedbob

Adobewan

Hello and welcome @idkalaska

The Extreme Q was one of my first as well.

The Grasshopper meets a number of your criteria, convection, flower, on demand, fits in bag, purse or pocket. Packs a punch, though I have heavier hitters. Not a passthrough system so doesn't vape while charging and the oven isn't the largest, but it's worth a look.

The Sticky Brick Jr is convection, flower, on demand, fits in bag or purse, packs a colossal punch, uses a butane torch so no battery charging to stop you. It's a heck of a vape!

Regarding the smell issue, if you're using flower, you're likely going to have some odor. You may want to look into a "Smokebuddy" for your odors:
https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Buddy-...rd_wg=zlxaI&psc=1&refRID=7QF9B8FVPVCKVE2N2NK9

Best of luck on your vaping journey. You're in the right place to get yourself educated about it.

Hi All!

I’m brandy spankin’ new to this forum! I’ve arrived here after reading too much about different portable vapes, and I am more torn than ever. The choices are overwhelming! Any advice, tips or personal stories would be SO helpful in making my decision. I currently own an Arizer Extreme Q and I love it. I also own a piece of shit V2 Series 3.

I need something portable and potent for home and away (car rides, overnights, business trips, vacations, etc.).

Here’s my criteria/specs:
  1. I would prefer a full convection vape for maximum efficiency and quality
  2. I will probably only ever use it for dry herb (doesn’t need to be dual)
  3. Must pack a serious punch! I have a fairly high tolerance and vape daily, so I need something that can be a heavy hitter
  4. Not a necessity, but it would be nice if the oven was large enough to get me where I want to go without reloading
  5. I prefer to sip my bud on my own time, instead of being forced to finish it all in one session, so I think an on demand vape is a necessity
  6. Although it does not need to be pocket portable, it needs to fit in a bag/purse/backpack
  7. Not a necessity, but I would like it to be as smell-free as possible
  8. Long battery life would be nice; or at least the ability to vape while charging (I like the idea of a replaceable battery)
I know that everyone has their personal preference when it comes to vaping, but that’s what I want to hear about! What is your most reliable, go to portable vape? What makes it so great?

Some vapes that I am interested in (in no particular order, and not limited to):
  • Ghost MV1
  • Arizer Solo II
  • Arizer Air II
  • Arizer ArGo
  • Haze Square Pro
Other factors:
  • Expense is second to quality and meeting my criteria (I want something amazing, not something cheap)
  • Mostly for solo use, or a couple friends on trips
Any advice or assistance from this community would be extremely helpful! Let me know if there is anything I can clarify. I look forward to hearing about your favorite portables!

Thank you!
-idkalaska

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...maybe look into the milaana by rbt... its on demand, full convection and uses replaceable 18650's so you can always bring a few backups on the road with you, and/or always have fresh ones from the charger...

...may also want to look into some torch powered vapes like the vapcap, lotus or sticky bricks.. i think the torch vapes would also suit your needs... maybe better...

ginolicious

I say Square Pro. Hits hard. Pods are huge. On demand convection. Vape has taken off very well. Lots of satisfied people using it. It can fit in your pocket. Chargers super quick. Easy to clean. Haze is a great company, backed by a 10 year warranty. I own two of their vapes Dual V3 and Square and never had any issues with these things.

idkalaska

I say Square Pro. Hits hard. Pods are huge. On demand convection. Vape has taken off very well. Lots of satisfied people using it. It can fit in your pocket. Chargers super quick. Easy to clean. Haze is a great company, backed by a 10 year warranty. I own two of their vapes Dual V3 and Square and never had any issues with these things.
It seems too good to be true! I have scoured the Internet for a comparison of the Haze Square Pro to the Ghost MV1 (those have been my top choices for a while) but can’t find anything. Are there any downsides to the Square Pro?

...maybe look into the milaana by rbt... its on demand, full convection and uses replaceable 18650's so you can always bring a few backups on the road with you, and/or always have fresh ones from the charger...

...may also want to look into some torch powered vapes like the vapcap, lotus or sticky bricks.. i think the torch vapes would also suit your needs... maybe better...
Thank you! I never even considered the butane option because it’s not exactly discreet, but I’ll definitely look into it more seriously. The Milaana is another great suggestion!

Last edited by a moderator:

ginolicious

The finish is weak. Other than that and the fact that after a full tray of all 4 pods vaped you need to clean or else your airflow will be wonky. May take you a couple sessions to figure out your draw technique but man I get lung busting hits. Need to pull for the 10 seconds. But yeah.

ginolicious,
Reactions: idkalaska

idkalaska

Hello and welcome @idkalaska

The Extreme Q was one of my first as well.

The Grasshopper meets a number of your criteria, convection, flower, on demand, fits in bag, purse or pocket. Packs a punch, though I have heavier hitters. Not a passthrough system so doesn't vape while charging and the oven isn't the largest, but it's worth a look.

The Sticky Brick Jr is convection, flower, on demand, fits in bag or purse, packs a colossal punch, uses a butane torch so no battery charging to stop you. It's a heck of a vape!

Regarding the smell issue, if you're using flower, you're likely going to have some odor. You may want to look into a "Smokebuddy" for your odors:
https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Buddy-...rd_wg=zlxaI&psc=1&refRID=7QF9B8FVPVCKVE2N2NK9

Best of luck on your vaping journey. You're in the right place to get yourself educated about it.
Thank you!! I will definitely look into all of those options. The Grasshopper seems to be a nice starting portable vape. I like how discreet it is. I love it here :)

idkalaska,
Reactions: Adobewan

idkalaska

Grasshopper is super hot and harsh. You will need to run it through water.
I’m weak when it comes to harshness. So that’s good to know. I’m defintely leaning toward Square. If the major con is cleaning after use, that’s not a dealbreaker at all.

ginolicious

Go reads the thread. It’s had a few issues upon release. But all of that was ironed on. Smooth vapor too.

ginolicious,

idkalaska

Go reads the thread. It’s had a few issues upon release. But all of that was ironed on. Smooth vapor too.
Alright I’m about to pull the trigger on the Haze Square Pro. Definitely sounds like exactly what I want and need. I’ve been back and forth between the Wanderlust kit and the Adventurer kit. Do you think it’s worth getting all the extra stuff that comes in a kit for maintenance and keeping it in top notch condition?

idkalaska,

LabPong

ginolicious.....how you you rate the harshness....or smoothness if you will.... between the MV1 and H-Square?

ginolicious

Don’t own a ghost.

Square is real smooth. Like it’s unreal. Sometimes you take these long hulls. Feel nothing. And exhale huge clouds. It’s weird but so smooth. It’s great. Sometimes I get the one hit on my ass.

As for packages this is what I have to say, get a coil package as well. You will want the coils to swap out. I didn’t buy anything but the square. Other people I know bought extra trays and everything so they can pack 8 bowls at a time. It’s all preference. Personally I go through a full tray, all 4 pods on a weekly basis and then I clean the whole unit and restart.

ginolicious,

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
@idkalaska

Welcome to FC!
I suggest the Lil' Bud by Vapwood , made by @Bravesst . Check the thread in the portable section . Or website here ,.
From your criteria the Lil' Bud is
1. full convection, one button , easy to use.
2. Made for dry herb
3. Definitely a Hard Hitter!
4. You basically choose bowl size by pushing screen up or down the stem
5. It's on demand , Instant Heat
6. Fits in a pocket or purse (completely made of wood , no glass , won't break )
7. As smell free as most other vapes can be . Easy maintenance.
8. Battery life is apparently quite good on the LB compared to other similar ondemand vapes .

I love my LB , fat, smooth tasty rips that get the job done . I hit it everywhere , most people around me have no idea what it does , lol. Very reliable and efficient, handcrafted , great customer service , definitely a great bang for bucks. Here's a couple vids ..
Indoors
Outdoors

idkalaska

@idkalaska

Welcome to FC!
I suggest the Lil' Bud by Vapwood , made by @Bravesst . Check the thread in the portable section . Or website here ,.
From your criteria the Lil' Bud is
1. full convection, one button , easy to use.
2. Made for dry herb
3. Definitely a Hard Hitter!
4. You basically choose bowl size by pushing screen up or down the stem
5. It's on demand , Instant Heat
6. Fits in a pocket or purse (completely made of wood , no glass , won't break )
7. As smell free as most other vapes can be . Easy maintenance.
8. Battery life is apparently quite good on the LB compared to other similar ondemand vapes .

I love my LB , fat, smooth tasty rips that get the job done . I hit it everywhere , most people around me have no idea what it does , lol. Very reliable and efficient, handcrafted , great customer service , definitely a great bang for bucks. Here's a couple vids ..
Indoors
Outdoors
Damn that’s a beautiful vape right there. I’m gonna have to get my hands on one of those.

little maggie

There are several great vapes on this board that you won't find in some of the online reviews. They're made by very small companies- often 1 person. The lil bud, milaana, and mvt are similar vapes and fit in that category. You can check out the threads on them. They are pretty comparable so whichever you get will be a good product. The lil bud and mvt have very good customer service which is also great. I also just noticed that the MVT2 is coming out in September and has a preorder sale.

One I would add is the tubo evic. It is bigger than the others I listed so not great for stealth but other than that is great. It does fit in my pocket.
It meets your criteria plus an advantage that the others don't have is that it comes with software that you can modify to adjust temperature and other features. It's also very easy to use and very powerful. I'm not a very techy person so normally I'd avoid something with software. But the developer of it, Ralph aka Funky Junky upgrades the software periodically and I just download it instead of making my own modifications.
I am an herb only user.

Last edited:

sickmanfraud

One I would add is the tubo evic. It is bigger than the others I listed so not great for stealth but other than that is great. It does fit in my pocket.
It meets your criteria plus an advantage that the others don't have is that it comes with software that you can modify to adjust temperature and other features. It's also very easy to use and very powerful. I'm not a very techy person so normally I'd avoid something with software. But the developer of it, Ralph aka Funky Junky upgrades the software periodically and I just download it instead of making my own modifications.
I am an herb only user.

I agree 100% check out the Tubo

Zak McKracken

Idk but both tubo and lil bud are a little hot to the throat.I can use tubo only with the whip(then again II vape at high temps)but there is a cooling stem,I don't find it very portable(except maybe with the wooden stems which I don't have).I think of tubo like a portable(in the sense that you can carry) eq !Lil bud is nice,great effect but also a bit hot to me,tubo in comparison gives huge clouds.Haze square is pretty neat,most discreet(most portable of all) and smooth but can run a bit too hot(the device,not vapor) and is quite heavy ,despite being so small.Another downside of the square is that it is the hardest of all three to share.Just my opinion,hope it helps!

Zak McKracken,

Vaporware

Damn that’s a beautiful vape right there. I’m gonna have to get my hands on one of those.

If you want a beautiful vape that fits your criteria, my vote’s for the Nomad. The only problem is there’s a waiting list and it could take a while to get one (months at least). Check it out for future reference though!

The pics of the design at release (and the many variations of wood/sleeve/button/etc.) are later in the thread - if you start at the beginning you’ll find inspirations and concepts that it started from, and then pretty much the whole development process throughout the thread.

Just remember, a lot of these (Nomad, Milaana, MVT, Li’l Bud, etc.) are unregulated. That means there aren’t electronics controlling the power, you’re applying it directly so there’s no maximum temperature and it will continue to heat up as long as you hold the button. If you hold it down long enough you’ll combust your flower. It takes a little technique to get what you want out of this style of vape, but most people learn how to do it pretty quickly. :)

Vaporware,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Healthy Rips, the makers of the too-small-for-you Fury 2, prereleased a new vape called the Fierce that's a worthy contestant. It'll ship in just under a month.

Folks here with a lot of vapes are responding quickly to your interest in on demand convection. You might want to reconsider that priority for vaping out and about or while traveling. All three of my on demand vapes are more of a hobbyist experience. Skip the Milanna as it's a one man show and he just emailed everyone today saying he was going out of business. I'd say skip the Lil Bud too. I've bought two of them and would recommend you owning one at some point but it requires special batteries that only work well fully charged so it's too fiddly a setup for frequent use out and about.

You do sound like a good Square candidate as long as the cleaning isn't too annoying. I vote for @ginolicious' suggestion.

idkalaska

Healthy Rips, the makers of the too-small-for-you Fury 2, prereleased a new vape called the Fierce that's a worthy contestant. It'll ship in just under a month.

Folks here with a lot of vapes are responding quickly to your interest in on demand convection. You might want to reconsider that priority for vaping out and about or while traveling. All three of my on demand vapes are more of a hobbyist experience. Skip the Milanna as it's a one man show and he just emailed everyone today saying he was going out of business. I'd say skip the Lil Bud too. I've bought two of them and would recommend you owning one at some point but it requires special batteries that only work well fully charged so it's too fiddly a setup for frequent use out and about.

You do sound like a good Square candidate as long as the cleaning isn't too annoying. I vote for @ginolicious' suggestion.
Thanks so much for your response! Can I ask you to clarify a few things? (I’m super interested in the whole vaping experience.) What do you mean by a hobbyist experience? What do you prefer, session heating? The reason why I enjoy on demand is because I often forget to turn off my Arizer Extreme Q and I hate wasting herb...I JUST bought the Square last night (I have a trip on Friday and I wanted it before then) and I am very excited to try it out. Although I’m hearing a lot about the cleaning process. I’ll have to pick up a cleaning tray ASAP. But I do feel like I made the right decision with the Square :)

The Milaana is so beautiful; I’m sad to hear that he is going out of business!

idkalaska,
Reactions: Adobewan

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
it requires special batteries that only work well fully charged so it's too fiddly a setup for frequent use out and about.

The 18650 battery is rather common to the vaping world . I use my LB exclusively and get a full day (5-6 loads) use per battery . Perhaps will get even more with LB2.0.. Easy to bring a spare battery for the road .

Is the HR battery even interchangeable down the road or just another vape with a lifespan?

P.A.M.,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
@P.A.M. has way more experience with the Lil Bud than I do. The second one I got as a gift for a friend and it's sort of like "here's this great hand crafted convection vape... And you'll need to buy weird batteries you've never used... And a special charger.. And never by off brand batteries... but the brand name ones are also almost totally unmarked so only get them from these three websites..
And don't leave that shit in a hot car or they might off gas.. And here's this poker and stir tool... And you'll want to practice for a while to get good clouds... And if you want to reload on the go you could get extra stems... which are also handmade and cost $29 each .. And it's best to stir every four hits or so or twist the little wooden stem maybe...... You'll figure it out."

I totally relate to your thoughts about cooking your herb with these session vapes. I have a Fury 2 that I use with various accessories and my habit at home is increasingly to use the Fury 2 without the black mouthpiece and to cap my wpa or bent glass stem only when I'm hitting it. So like I'll clear a j hook and then remove the F2 and leave the wpa in the hook like a Sherlock pipe until my next draw.

So you can see my thinking regarding the Fierce: more glass in the airpath plus a bigger chamber, no stirring, and a swappable battery pack with USB C charging.

Let me know how you like the Square Pro. I don't go through enough herb for a multi chambered device to make sense but we're still waiting for on demand convection to have the convenience and idiot-proof-ness of these session vapes so I'm glad the landscape is healthy and growing.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Although I’m hearing a lot about the cleaning process

seen after my last post you went with Haze Square , wish you will enjoy it . As for cleaning , is it sticky resin that get caught to wall and air path with the Haze Square like in some other vapes? I did like my vapcap "cleaning wise ", as it took a long time for rez to build up , same for my LB. to me , it's indication the vapor (and terps) entered my lung and didn't get stuck to my vape , lol . I'm not too good at saving and using reclaim

ginolicious

Cleaning the square is not that big of a deal. It takes like 5-10 minutes tops. Yeah it’s a little bit more involved. But damn. I love it this vape is unreal and packs a serious punch. You’ll be very happy with it

Top Bottom