Fertility and Marijuana

Harorld

I'm sure many of you have read/heard about the concerns regarding the effects of chronic marijuana consumption and its effects on male fertility including production of significantly less seminal fluid, a lower total sperm count and abnormal sperm behavior.

The Center for Male Reproduction states:

"...However, when these substances are discontinued, sperm production should return to normal within three to six months. The problem with substances such as alcohol and marijuana is that no one is certain of the level at which they can be ingested without affecting sperm production. Consequently, the use of these substances should be minimized during the time that a couple is attempting to establish a pregnancy."

Is anyone out there concerned that their long-term marijuana consumption has potentially having permanent negative effects? I've been smoking for about ten years, at least once per day if not a few times per day. I've only been vaping for past two years. In anycase, my wife and I are considering a child in the next couple of years so it's on my mind.

Harorld,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I am in no way an expert, so this is based on my experience and :2c: Sorry if it is TMI.

My husband and I were both daily consumers when I first started trying to get pregnant. We also drank, often heavily on weekends. I was able to get pregnant every time I tried (which was 3). The first time took a little longer, but I think that was more due to having gone off bc pills after taking them for 8 years. I miscarried my second child, but believe that was due to too much rigorous exercise and fate. I have two healthy children. So, apparently, it didn't have too much of an effect on our ability to procreate.

momofthegoons,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
here's a data point (anecdotal evidence) ... no negative effect on producing a child (one only), and long term evaluation of the offspring (28 yrs) is all positive. Both gf and i had been stoners for 15+ years before zygote event. Heck, i didn't even know about vaporizers back then.

Consequently, the use of these substances should be minimized during the time that a couple is attempting to establish a pregnancy.
wtf? i prefer skiing high, also.

Hippie Dickie,

reece

I started smoking pot at 18 years of age. I became a daily smoker at 19. Conceived first child at 27 on the first try. Switched to vapor about 5 years later. Conceived second child at 35 on first try.

Most of my friends and quite a few aquaintances started smoking pot in their early teens, some sooner. Many of them have multiple children. I haven't asked them about difficulty in conceiving though.

Also, anyone thinking of having kids should see Bill Cosby Himself to properly prepare yourself.

reece,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Also, anyone thinking of having kids should see Bill Cosby Himself to properly prepare yourself.
:lol: Bill Cosby has an amazing perspective on children. On his album "Why Is There Air?" he has a skit where he describes his little girl's tenacity in getting cookies. They put the cookie jar up on the highest shelf and tell her not to touch it. Then he hears a chair scraping, goes in the kitchen and catches her red handed. She looks at him and says, "I getting cookie for you Dad." Priceless.

Sorry.....off topic :uhoh:

momofthegoons,

Harorld

I'm sure the research that's been published is true, but it's difficult to tell if the outlets publishing the findings have ulterior motives. That said, I'm gonna play it safe and begin curbing my vape sessions to once or twice per week and go on a break for a few months when the time comes to start making babies.

Harorld,

ZigZag

everyones different it might affect some people and not others, in "super high me" i thought they said his sperm count increased a little ?

ZigZag,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
^^^^ I can vouch for that, your healthy sperm count goes way up and your off spring will be better socially adjusted and a lot of other positives as well, just research it for a while, the studies are out there.

DeepFried,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
We didn't have any problems getting pregnant - both of us pretty much daily consumers for 10 years prior to trying to conceive. A few friends have had pretty much the same experience.

Both kids did have some health issues, not easy pregnancies either, but that was due to other (genetic) factors.
both are pretty well fine now at 2 & 5. Smart little fuckers too!

there are many studies of the effect of cannabis on sperm count, infant health & wellbeing, hyperemesis gravida (crazy ass ridiculous morning sickness), breastfeeding etc.

my research and my personal experience leads me to believe that is that it is safe for those trying to conceive and will not affect fertility for either party.

just my :2c:

herbgirl,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I had no issues either although it was a huge concern of mine -- now I have a 2 month old, healthy little girl.

stonemonkey55,

OO

Technical Skeptical
sweet, no i can tell her it's my birth control lol.

good excuse for high sex.

OO,
DeepFried said:
^^^^ I can vouch for that, your healthy sperm count goes way up and your off spring will be better socially adjusted and a lot of other positives as well, just research it for a while, the studies are out there.

I'd be interested in finding out more about this.

We're currently trying to have kids, and I'm getting stick for vaping around once or twice a week.

Just wondering if I really need to stop. I don't mind stopping, but of course I'd prefer not to ;)

Does anybody know about more specific studies on this?

p.s. my wife is a doctor, so I need pretty good evidence :)

friendlyfred,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
friendlyfred said:
DeepFried said:

I\\\'d be interested in finding out more about this.

We\\\'re currently trying to have kids, and I\\\'m getting stick for vaping around once or twice a week.

Just wondering if I really need to stop. I don\\\'t mind stopping, but of course I\\\'d prefer not to ;)

Does anybody know about more specific studies on this?

p.s. my wife is a doctor, so I need pretty good evidence :)

These should keep her reading for a while:
http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/hemp/medical/can-babies.htm
http://www.november.org/stayinfo/breaking06/DreherStudy.html

Most negative studies do not filter out the mothers use of other things like cigarettes and alcohol, none of them used vapes instead of combusting.

DeepFried,
DeepFried said:
These should keep her reading for a while:
http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/hemp/medical/can-babies.htm
http://www.november.org/stayinfo/breaking06/DreherStudy.html

Most negative studies do not filter out the mothers use of other things like cigarettes and alcohol, none of them used vapes instead of combusting.

Thanks for those links.

I'm specifically interested in whether it affects my fertility. There are a couple of studies that point towards cannabis use affecting sperm motility (moving too fast etc and burning out). However, again like you mention, they did not account for tobacco or combustion in general.

friendlyfred,
friendlyfred,
Who the fuck cares about infertility? That's like fate coming down and just saving you a shitload of trouble.

Impotency, now there's a different animal :lol:

charliedontsurf,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Bob Marley had at least 9 children that we know about. I imagine he combusted at least once or twice during that time...

wilf789,

wowthisisrandom

Glass/Vape Enthusiast
Hey man don't worry i had asked the same question a while ago

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=3170

And you should also read this link

http://www.illpumpyouup.com/articles/marijuana-and-bodybuilding.htm

And here's the main point of the article

Nevertheless, a 1989 study gave 17 male volunteers both high and low doses of THC and then tested their hormonal responses. The results showed no hormonal or immune parameters affected by either a high or low dose of THC. Notably, both testosterone and cortisol were examined, indicating that pot doesn't produce catabolic effects in muscle through increased cortisol release.

Based on the majority of studies that have looked at the effects of pot on testosterone levels, it appears that the drug has little or no effect on this hormone in humans. One study that examined Jamaican pot smokers, however, did find a significant decrease in active thyroid hormone in the blood, although the men showed no apparent thyroid dysfunction. Significantly, the men also showed normal testosterone levels despite smoking an average of seven to eight joints a day.

Considering it says that testosterone was not affected in the article and in super high me his sperm count actually increased, I think that this is more Gov. B.S
:D

wowthisisrandom,
Interesting stuff, though again slightly different. The affects that those other studies purport to show are that sperm mobility is affected directly by the cannabinoids for which they have receptors - I guess sperm like to get high too! :)

friendlyfred,
Top Bottom