FC and NewFC Merge Information

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Hello and welcome to the first decennial FC merge frequently asked questions thread!

Q: What are FC and NewFC?
A: FC is short for https://fuckcombustion.com. NewFC is short for https://newfuckcombustion.com.

Q: Why was New FC created?
A: As has been discussed elsewhere on the site, there were concerns that FC was going to disappear. Long-time community members and moderators @pakalolo and @Stu made an heroic and exemplary effort to ensure that the FC community would have a lifeboat (NewFC) in case of disaster.

Q: What has happened since then?
A: The FC ship is back on course and contingency plans have been put in place to ensure that it won't head adrift in the future.

Q: What will happen with the two sites now?
A: After considerable thought and discussion, select content from NewFC will be merged into FC.

Q: What does "select content" mean?
A: Such a merge has its share of complications and there is no perfect solution. After weighing the options we have decided to import only the threads and attachments from NewFC into FC. User accounts will not be transferred over.

Q: Why not import the user accounts?
A: The majority of the ~1500 registered users on NewFC already have accounts on FC. Importing them would mean ~1500 duplicate accounts which isn't feasible to deal with. The problems would outweigh the benefits.

Q: What will happen to my posts on NewFC?
A: Threads and posts from NewFC will be imported and merged into FC. Imported posts will display the author's NewFC username, however they will not be linked to an account.

Q: What about my post count and likes and private conversations from NewFC?
A: Because we aren't importing user accounts --as discussed above-- post counts, likes, and private conversations from NewFC will not be carried over to FC. You will retain your original post count, likes, private conversations, trophies, etc. that you already have under an FC account.

Q: How will imported threads from NewFC with an equivalent thread on FC be handled?
A: For the most part they will be merged together. The Vape XYZ thread from NewFC will be merged together with the Vape XYZ thread on FC. This needs to be done manually for a few hundred threads and will take some time. After the merge, threads that had been strategically locked on FC will be re-opened for posting. When a matching thread is eventually merged, the mixed posts should end up in chronological order.

Q: What do I need to do?
A: If you already have an account on FC you're all set. If not you're welcome to create one. You may want to look over any meaningful information in your NewFC account that won't be transferred.

Q: When will the merge happen and what should I expect?
A: On Friday June 26 both sites will be closed for posting and will experience downtime while the merge takes place. If all goes well it should take a couple of hours or so. If there are problems it is Stu's fault.

Q: What will happen to NewFC?
A: After the merge NewFC will remain accessible, but closed to new posts.

Q: Aren't you sick of typing NewFC and FC?
A: No.

Thank you for your patience while we sort this out!

gaseous_clay

So basically I have to do nothing other than come back here where I come all too infrequently (hey look, they changed things sometime in the last couple months!)

Cool.

gaseous_clay,
Reactions: Magic9

OF

Q: When will the merge happen and what should I expect?
A: On Friday June 26 both sites will be closed for posting and will experience downtime while the merge takes place. If all goes well it should take a couple of hours or so. If there are problems it is Stu's fault.

As long as blame is assigned where it truly, truly belongs we should be fine......

Let me add my appreciation and thanks for what is obviously a huge 'above and beyond' effort. This is an important place for many of us.

Regards to all.

OF

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
Is there any way I can request having my account moved from NFC to FC? That's the one I started getting really active on just a few days ago and would love that activity tied to my (non-active) FC account rather than my now-defunct NFC account.

Is this feasible in a one-off scenario? Please and thanks! @vtac @admins

Last edited:
RedEyeFlightControl,
Top Bottom