Fancy water filter for vapor

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
ok so instead of poluting the Vrip thec thread lets continu here to talk about complexe water filter , so here we go

diffuser = downstem with holes

arm or tree percolator = kind of octopus like this (this one is removable ...thanks ghost for tha beautiful piece of art LOLL )

disc or ring diffuser = this is a disc with holes that split a tube in 2

swiss percolator = hummm a pix will do the job LOL

inline percolator =

dome percolator =

Halo percolator =
dscf0256vd5is1.jpg
(thanks AofZ)

Mushroom percolator =
photo3dg2.jpg
(thanks sm55)

I may be wrong on the name but I'm pretty sure i'm right

Clear_Dome,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Thank you very much for starting this thread, although it was off topic, I also thought it was somewhat relevant since VRIP has been all about glass from the get go. I'm hoping this thread can help me catch up on all the glass knowledge that I have been shielded from for the last 10 years.

stonemonkey55,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Hey thanks for the update, can you define the main difference between a perc and diffuser? Don't they do the same thing, make more bubbles, cool the smoke?

stonemonkey55,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
hehe you need to see them to understand ...pretty complex shit but really usefull ....oh and if I forgot some let it me know I'll add them

Clear_Dome,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Great Pics CD! Those Swiss cheese stemless pieces work great (is that one for a vape--did I see a tube attachment? :brow: )

AoZ. Nice Pic of the Halo Perc (I've never seen that before, but two holes pointing at each other sounds ingenius)

I dream of the Verdamper coming with a downstem that is blocked off at the bottom and has two holes that point in the same directions, causing the water in the hookah-oriented, beaker-style base to swirl around like a cyclone (Sebastian has risen the bar with his custom pieces :lol: ).

Also, to me, they are all diffusers and percolators. It is just a matter of whether they are handheld/internal, tree/inline/stemless/HALO, poked/tooled/sawed, removable/permanent, etc.

Edit: CD, when I have time (and remember), I'll have to tell you about ways that you (a glassblower) could easily soup-up your Extreme a bit :cool:

Progress,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
hey progress , just go post it in my glass thread ! I'm curious to see what you think !!!

Clear_Dome,

Progress

Progress,

Spiderman

oil baron
Halo percs are rarer? Dunno bout that one bro........

and Hops inlines are the shit, without a doubt :D

Spiderman,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
Spiderman said:

i have seen many halo percs at kind creations up in ft. Collins :cool:

always wanted one

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Hennessy1414 said:
Spiderman said:

i have seen many halo percs at kind creations up in ft. Collins :cool:

always wanted one

Haha amazing dude, i have not seen a single halo perc at the shops ive been at, until you told me about kind creations and dementia i thought the colorado glass scene was a joke. All the shops i have ever found carry shitty glass at prices that make you laugh infront of the owners face.

Survivalism,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
damn you didnt kno of any of the shops! holy fuck man i would be pretty angry by now...boulda has some aight shit..KC is much better :o

we need to blaze up man

Hennessy1414,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Im definatly going to have to take a trip to KC and Dementia sometime soon, down here in A-town most glass shops do carry some sick looking glass, its just the prices are laughable. I agree dude we are gonna have to have a meet up sometime, first one in FC history!?

Sorry for offtopicness so ill ad to the perc discussion.

Does anyone here have any experience with slit diffusers as compared to punctured diffusers? Up until recently the only way to get a peirced diffy was to purchase a roor one from EDIT.

Survivalism,

Spiderman

oil baron
Survivalism, you're in CO? Go check out Heady Glass in Denver, they may even have a discount if you're a member at TokeCity. SHould have great glass.

Spiderman,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Well jeesus! I went looking through denver for decent shops and couldnt find anything! Wheres heady glass at? Sounds like ive been living my whole combusting life under a large rock, and now that ive joined the vape community i keep getting slapped in the face by all the shops i have missed haha

Survivalism,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
Survivalism said:
Well jeesus! I went looking through denver for decent shops and couldnt find anything! Wheres heady glass at? Sounds like ive been living my whole combusting life under a large rock, and now that ive joined the vape community i keep getting slapped in the face by all the shops i have missed haha
26th and colfax in think...type it into google...heady glass denver colorado...i was around some other glass forums when he first opened up...he only has the best :)

:peace: (co homie)

Hennessy1414,

Progress

SM - I'm hoping this thread can help me catch up on all the glass knowledge that I have been shielded from for the last 10 years.
Hey SM (and anyone else who cares) I was talking to a very talented slitter :lol: who feels that (with limited exceptions) slits are far superior than holes.

The rationale (to the best of my recollection) was basically that, as air leaves holes, one bubble tends to form and release over the side of the inner glass tube (the one with the holes in it) depending on resistance/gravity/etc.

As the air leaves slits, on the other hand the air is more likely to split and travel up both sides of the inner glass tube (allowing more stretching/collisions/cooling/water contact). The tight corners and sharp edges also encourage such stretching and splitting of the traveling air. The orientation of the slits (paralell to each other) also contributes to the formation of cyclones which (through the venturi effect) help the air traveling through to reach room temperature due to more water-contact/stretching/collisions/distance/etc. Finally, more slits are able to be made on than holes and more surface area can be exposed.

Nevertheless, some creative uses of holes/molded glass inserts release the air into the outer chamber of the diffuser in ways that even impress the best slitters.

I hope I did not forget or mis-state any of the information that was shared with me, and (as always) hope this helps ;)

Progress,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
would an inline with slits be possible? ive only ever seen ones with holes, but it seems slit would have a significant advantage (so long as they were large/numerous enough that they wouldnt impede air flow too much)

im imagining a halo perc right now with just a single giant slit along the bottom :lol:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Does anyone know how to get in contact with HOPS? his shit is Karate Karazy!

stonemonkey55,

Progress

SM - Does anyone know how to get in contact with HOPS?
Best bet is to find is work in shows/shops/through friends. IMO, Hops is king, but many (who stand on the shoulders of such giants) can create greatness as well (HTH's ;) ).
AoZ - would an inline with slits be possible?
Possible and getting increasingly popular :)
AoZ - im imagining a halo perc right now with just a single giant slit along the bottom lol
Possibly, but part of the beauty is repeated parallel slits that are perpendicular to the flow of air :/ (see post #18 above for more details ;) )

Edit: check out Hash bean's home-made inline ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5YDg1SfN20&feature=channel )for ideas (a spiral of slitted inline tubing in a flat/round vessel?...SA, a 'spiral'? :brow: )

Progress,

Progress

P- A regular (non-diffused) down-stem closed at the bottom (like a test-tube). Instead of a hole on the bottom there is a hole (or multiple holes/slits) just before the closed end on one side, so that (when you spin the down-stem to point in the right direction) it points towards the front of the bottom on the beaker, directing the air that travels down the down-stem across the bottom of the beaker to the other side (where it travels up the opposite wall and has to get around the down-stem--even better with the pocket in the front of the ProVWT).
SM - Do they make this style stem like this?
I am sure someone has tried it (the concepts behind the idea have definitely been applied ;) ), but I'm not sure if any of the big companies produce such a piece.
So what you're saying is depending on how you tilt, you can adjust the downstem directionally to get the right type "glug glug" sound from the water?
Sort of. I don't mean any offense but am not sure if you are grasping all of these concepts. I don't know where I would find a picture of this piece even if my planet did not have some drawbacks (if you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down). Maybe read through with some friends and try to deceipher the jargon-laden schematics of Progress (The Jargon-Laden Schematics of Progress...that could be the title of my next song... :lol: ).

Nonetheless, it is not as much to compensate for how you tilt as it is the shape of the chamber, amount of water, desired filtration/drag. Yes, you can twist the down-stem I suggested so the hole points up, down, to either side, or anywhere in between. Twisting the down-stem to change the direction the hole in the bottom of it faces serves the purpose (IMO) of changing the path of the vapor (I'll explain) more than to 'get the right type of glug-glug sound'. In particular, if the hole were pointing up, the vapor would travel out of the down-stem upwards into the back wall of the Vrip Pro Water Tool beaker base, up the wall and out of the water. If the hole were pointing in the opposite direction, OTOH, the vapor would shoot out down and towards the front of the beaker bottom, travel across the base of the beaker and up the opposite side. The second option (the hole pointing down) would allow the vapor to have more contact with the water (time and travel distance), and (therefore)cools and filters better, but increases drag and intensifies the oscillation of the bubbling (glug-glug). Concepts of physics also create other differences (traveling up a wall--assisted--causes less of the good stretching of the vapor--expanding to cool?--than traveling unassisted by a wall in a direction other than that of gravity), but I am going to stop here, cool?
P - I like things to be fairly drag free (clearing/inhaling feels similar to breathing free. I also like the efficient cooling of vapor to room temperature (not much past for flavor IMO) and significant particle filtration.
SM - I had thought you liked more drag, isn't that why you added the beads for resistance? Anyhow, thanks for all the feedback guys, I pointed Mark to take a look at the last couple of threads.
OK. I like the efficient cooling of vapor to room temperature and significant particle filtration. Both of these usually cause an increase in drag. I believe this is a worthy trade-off (as I exercise often and have very strong lungs). Nonetheless, if I could 'have my cake and eat it too' (as the saying goes) I would want all of the 'action' (means the same as in pool and bowling) that assists cooling/particle filtration while remaining drag free (with a tool that could handle the speed/volume/short duration of inhalations as well ;) ).

On a related note, today I used one of the best inlines I have ever used (I think the artists name was SheepDog). It had many features I am too exhausted from the above explanations to explain, but the coolest one was that the slits in the inline were staggered (sorta like a zipper). This really helped facilitate action that turned the inline into a white, bubbly, foamy looking chamber of carbonation) some pieces offer more 'action' with less 'drag' (inlines, etc.), but just about any tool will add drag by restricting airflow, especially when water filtration is added.

I am gonna look this novel :lol: over and then oil my head before I see what others have posted.

Progress,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Progress, or anyone for that matter, whats the main diff between an arm, tree, and dome perc, they all kinda look the same to me.

n3rd is gonna start on my piece this friday, i am juiced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stonemonkey55,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
arm and tree perc is usually just two names for the same thing, basically it has little arms that come off the top with diffusers at the ends, a dome perc has a dome with holes at the bottom

tree percs are usually preferrable to dome percs because they produce less drag, but dome percs are easier to produce and to clean. any percolated pipe is going to have more drag then a non percolated one

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Progress

I posted this elsewhere, but figured it would be more appropriate here:

I recently saw someone who put tubing at the bottom of their glass upright which coiled around the inside with slits on the inside of the coil all throughout it (instead of the GonG down-stem it came with). I am not sure if cutting slits compromises the quality of the tubing, but feel comfortable since it is all submerged under water. Also, softer tubing that is pre-wettened is easier to guide into a coil with the slits facing the inside (feel free to visually approximate the coil while making the slits if you want this set-up--it would rock even if they didn't all face inwards, but...roll). A spiral for spiralA's glass, maybe? wink On a related note, I heard that MTV is coming out with a show called 'Pimp Your Vaporizer'-- :lol: JK :lol:

This could also be good for someone who is considering an inline, but is not sure if their performance is worth their cost (I can't try many that I see because they are all brown/black and...:puke:

Toke it easy (and toke it classy, glassy, and creatively!) ;)

Progress,
Top Bottom