Fadvape WDLX Induction Heater (Orion Knockoff)

GABdQXe.png

Just got my hands on one and this is my first and only IH so nothing to compare to.
First impressions - it heats too fast. About 3 seconds until click. It seems to be heating the clicky disk directly.
The battery takes about an hour to charge and drains in 15 minutes... Does not work while charging...
Fiddling with the coil through the "Dynahole" proved cumbersome so I decided to break the whole thing open.
Pkl0GZM.jpg

At first I thought the case was glued shut but it finally succumbed to my spudgers.
VYqMqvM.jpg

If it's the same thing as a $200 Orion then Dynavap must offer blowjobs together with their heater...
OMrD0ZN.jpg

In order to get the vapor close to satisfying levels all I did was to take the red rubber thing out completely from the bottom of the chamber and put a piece of cork in instead in order to have the clicky disk in deeper and away from the coil when heating.

I'm aiming for a 10 second time and that is almost what i have now. This thing has a built in 10 second shut off timer and a fresh bowl usually takes 10 seconds to heat up now. If it doesn't click I pull it out then stick it back in until click. I find the vapor to be much better this way than original configuration. Still nowhere close to my face melting butane torch hits...
And yes, I was able to put it back together without screwing up the case.

Here are my final thoughts.
The Chinese have knocked off the wrong thing. They should have knocked off the V1.
These stupid built in safety features make the whole thing pretty much unusable... The battery is abysmal. Barely enough juice to destroy 4-5 bowls. The no work while charging feature pisses me off the most.
What I'm gonna do is connect a 3x 18650 battery pack with a separate charge port and controller and stick everything in a new case.
Another safety feature where it won't fire when turned on with the Dynavap inserted will make you think that the whole thing is broken... Give it 3 seconds before inserting the Dynavap. Just an FYI.
Also I see many people on reddit complaining that it doesn't charge. You have to connect it to a 1 amp power supply. Computer USB ports give out 500mA if I'm not mistaken. I believe Dynavap tells that you need 2 amps for the V2 so here you go.

Last edited:
Can confirm. Got it connected to a 2.4A power supply with a cable rated for 3 amps (yes, not all cables are created equal) and it charges full in about 20 minutes now (don't quote me on the exact number as I'm high). You finish a bowl, plug it in and by the time you stop coughing and loading a new bowl it goes green. Still a bitch, but I can live with it I guess.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
I have one of these coming home, thanks for all the info! Your pics are great information! Did you try the fake vapcap that comes bundled?

jardri,
Reactions: RobbIt
I have one of these coming home, thanks for all the info! Your pics are great information! Did you try the fake vapcap that comes bundled?
Glad to be useful. Mine came with just a glass stem. I thought I'd like it because my preferred Dynavap recently has been a BB9 straight with no extra glass or water, but I didn't unfortunately. The carb hole is crudely filed into the glass and is difficult to find and operate. The draw feels weird and somewhat unfulfilling. The glass nipples inside are tiny and barely do anything.
I have a feeling that they were supposed to bundle it with the full knockoff Dynavap kit but I'm not very sorry that they didn't.

Pablo-Diablo,

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Hello friends!

I received my WDLX unit today. First impressions are this works exactly the same as an Orion 2. I have been very surprised of its power and efficiency but its still soon. Build quality seems good, the unit is light and battery is still lasting but I only did like 20 clics. Have tried a 7-fin and 2021 titanium tips and so far the 2021 titanim gives better taste and the 7-fin better clouds. I am heating them 7 bliks past the first click and clouds are extremely similar to single flame. Also no hotspotting the oven seems evenly spent after 3 clics per charge. I haven´t noticed any sensor failures as other members posted before.

Came in 7 days from china and it included a chinese vapcap titunium tip and cap clone which in my opinion is atrocious. It also comes with a quartz rod which is kinda okay-ish but the carb hole is difficult to find and the glass is so thin it gets hot really fast. I wish there was a cheaper option without accesories

Enough talk! Lets post pics!!

The box:

The unit (Dynastash XL for size comparison):

The accesories so you can see first person the crappy chinese vapclone:

So far so good! It cost me like 62€ including shipping and performs like a beast! As fast and powerful as an orion and seems better insulated so maybe no plastic cracking on this one. Will update if my opinion changes with usage but as for today i am extremely happy.

I will try to answer any questions you have.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Update on my chinese inductor experience:

I have made almost the same tweak @Pablo-Diablo did in order to make it heat more evenly.

Dismounted the board and tried some cap positions for best performance. In my case i was not satisfied just placing the vapcap deeper. It was still hotspotting because the way the coil is bent makes it concentrate heat narrowly.

I made the coil wider by separating it with a screwdriver very carefully from the top part of the glass to the bottom so it heats a wider area. For this operation I had to cut the bottom silicone to my perfect height and reshape the frontal silicone ring with a knife to make place for the taller coil.

Now I can get exactly the performance i want from an induction heater, specifically adjusted for my personal preferences. It clicks at 11/12 second from cold (I have to reinsert the vapcap mid heating) and about 8/9 seconds if it is a reheat, but now it heats evenly to a high temperature and the clic works as expected, no more bliking light counting and no hotspotting at all.

I fully extract in 2 or 3 heating cycles leaving the herbs almost black, no hotspotting and very dense vapor.

As expected with this modification battery life has gone downhill and now sits about 18/20 clics per charge, which is still pretty good in my opinion. And I better get 20 good hits than 50 whispy ones.

So final thoughts: This CAN be an extremely good budget induction heater if you modify it, but if you aren´t going to modify it and like dense clouds better pick another option. I think the orion is slightly better than this one but it still is lacking an even heating. If you feel adventurous and customize the heating experience like i did, Go for it!! It can be a great induction heater, much better than any portable one!

Woody

How did you guys disassemble and reassemble this? Is it ultrasonically welded together? I feel like the only way to get this apart is to destroy it. Any tips would be appreciated.

How did you guys disassemble and reassemble this? Is it ultrasonically welded together? I feel like the only way to get this apart is to destroy it. Any tips would be appreciated.
It is not welded or glued in any way. It is just held together with clamps. Drive a thin sturdy blade like a scalpel or swiss army knife in between the two halves to create some space for a spudger of some sort then the rest is pretty straightforward.

Pablo-Diablo,

Woody

Got the thing apart without leaving too many tool marks but it was a pain and I broke 2 tabs.

TIP for others that want to remove the case - The upper shell needs to be pulled away from the lower shell by prying out, then up on the edges. It is clipped into place all around the circumference and you cannot just simply jam a wedge between the 2 halves and shuck it open like an oyster. You will break the tabs/clips. Think how a bottle cap is on a bottle of beer (not twist off). You have to "expand" the circumference of the cap before you can lift it off.

Woody,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Woody

Anybody try and rewind the coil? This thing heats way too aggressively for my Ti tip and low temp cap.
I have the SJK dental IH and the WDLX. Both are at the extremes of heating profiles. I wish the SJK was a bit stronger and the WDLX a little milder.

Woody,

Woody

Have to tell Glass Charlie that he's finally made it if his spiky DV mouthpieces are being ripped off by China now 🤣
Sneaky Pete has had several variations on the "spikey stem" theme for a while now so not sure who copied who.

Woody,

Woody

Have to tell Glass Charlie that he's finally made it if his spiky DV mouthpieces are being ripped off by China now 🤣
China keeps the American capitalists from exploiting people with monopolies in check. Look at insulin in the US as an example. The creators gifted the world with no patents on insulin yet American pharmaceuticals keep raising prices to criminal levels.

Woody,

simba

@weedanwine
China keeps the American capitalists from exploiting people with monopolies in check. Look at insulin in the US as an example. The creators gifted the world with no patents on insulin yet American pharmaceuticals keep raising prices to criminal levels.
well no, they're just other capitalists. The US healthcare system just shows what happens when you let capitalism run riot with healthcare, but that's totally beside the point.

Sneaky Pete has had several variations on the "spikey stem" theme for a while now so not sure who copied who.

I thought Sneaky Pete's glass was all badged China glass, I didn't know he was a glassblower?

simba,

Woody

well no, they're just other capitalists. The US healthcare system just shows what happens when you let capitalism run riot with healthcare, but that's totally beside the point.

I thought Sneaky Pete's glass was all badged China glass, I didn't know he was a glassblower?
Who ever said he was a glassblower? All I said was that you could get many different different stems from him. He is obviously (I guess not so obvious) just a dealer/distributor or even just a mascot like Ronald McDonald. My main point was that "Charlie" doesn't have an exclusive stem design and I don't have confidence that he was any sort of originator in "3D glass stems." You can get stems of various lenght, color, carb/no-carb, thickness, big nipples, small nipples, ripples, bends, folds or even added beads etc. etc. just from Pete alone.

Last edited:
Woody,

Woody

The American healthcare system is a PERFECT example of runaway capitalism. This type of human behaviour should be shunned by a civilized society. This needs to be avoided in all industries including vaping. Having a guy named "Charlie" having exclusive rights to anything is only good for Charlie and a loss to everybody else.

TLDR; monopolies = bad

Top Bottom