Excessive phlegm after long-term vaping?

hd_rider

Hello fellow FC folks,

I have a question but not sure if this is the right place for it.

Do you find that you have an increased build-up of phlegm in your respiratory tract resulting from long-term vaping?

Here's my reason for the question.

I've been vaping daily for the last 18 months or so, with most vaping sessions lasting about 20 minutes (10 minutes at a lower heat level followed by 10 minutes at a higher heat level). During the week, I typically have two of these vape sessions; On the weekends, I tend to have three or more vape sessions.

In recent months, when brushing / flossing in the mornings, I've noticed increased phlegm when rinsing. I never really gave it a second thought.

Until yesterday.

Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy, one of the many benefits of growing old(er). After the procedure, the nurse came and talked to me. She said that the anesthesiologist ran into problems when trying to bring me around after the procedure. While I was waking up, I apparently had some uncontrollable coughing and they had to do quite a bit of suctioning of phlegm that was restricting my airway. Due to the anesthesia, I don't recall any of this, but my throat is sure telling me about it! Yesterday after getting home, I was barely able to speak. Today, things are much better but I still have one heck of a sore throat and my voice still sounds hoarse as hell.

Reflecting on all of this, I wonder if my vaping played a role in yesterday's events.

What do you folks think?

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
not enough information ... could be diet, exercise, COPD, general lifestyle. could be the heat is too high and you are getting plant waxes. do you know the temperature? (my theme for today, it appears).

Hippie Dickie,
Reactions: friedrich

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Try vaporizing with warm water filtration for a while in see if you feel better. I only had phlegm when I combusted. I don't usually have that anymore. Do you use concentrates? Are you coughing while you vaporize? Did you used to be a smoker of cigs?

howie105

Too many big dry hits (with short stems) will cause congestion in my case so I have to be careful using direct draws. Through water it is much less of a problem but on long weekend sessions I can still over do it. Hippie Dickie is correct there are lots of other considerations to be made. Usually if you really freak the gas passer they will suggest a follow up exam just to cover their butts so don,t get too worried. On the upside its a good reason to revisit your glass and filter collection, maybe even a reason to buy more. Good Luck

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I coughed up a lot during my transition to vaping from smoking cigs and combusting herbs, but not much since converting. In fact, I would say the last few years coughs are less and less productive and don't bring up much nasty at all.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Tweak

hd_rider

• I do not and never have smoked cigarettes.
  • I exercise three to four days a week, at least an hour a day (heavy aerobics).
  • Weight is 175; Age is 53.
  • No COPD to my knowledge.
  • Do not use concentrates; vape only flowers. I do cough on occasion when I take in a bit too much.
@Hippie Dickie - Can you tell me what you mean by "plant waxes"? During the high-temp portion of my vaping sessions, I usually have my ePic eNano at level 8. I primarily use the glass stems (direct draw, no filtration). At the end of my vape sessions, the very top layer of my AVB is a dark brown color, the remainder is gold in color.

Last edited:
hd_rider,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Can you tell me what you mean by "plant waxes"?

sure ... i'm not a botanist, but the trichomes that contain the THC goo, are a plant wax. this wax must be melted/dissolved to expose the THC/CBD goo to the hot air so it can be vaporized.

props on the exercise ... i'm 67, 6'3", weight is 175 also. i do 35 minutes of NordicTrack aerobics 6 out of 7 days, plus about 15 minutes of Bowflex for strength training. been doing the NT for 33 years ... at this point it is an addiction.

i find i cough (and expectorate) a little more when i run my Bud Toaster at 400°F, which i have to do if the herb is only mids.

i'm not familiar with the eNano so don't know what temperature level 8 represents. i have a Barbeque thermometer attached to the heater so i know exactly what temp i am running at (at which i am running - damn preposition at the end of a sentence).

the holy grail: better herb, lower temp.

Hippie Dickie,

Chill Dude

I don't think your coughing or phlegm production has anything to with your procedure. I'm sure your throat is sore and irritated after they jammed the suction tube down your throat..

I've been vaping for years and I haven't had a phlegm or coughing issue. Of course, I cough a little during vape sessions, but not any other time.. If you've never smoked and you only vape like 5 times a week, your chances of COPD are extremely small. I wouldn't be worried about that at all.. Perhaps you've had a cold or bronchial infection that is kind of lingering on a bit?

If you continue to have a cough with Phlem, then I think a doctor visit may be advised. Personally, I don't think vaping such a small amount could cause you much harm. I wouldn't worry too much...

Chill Dude,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I cough up a tiny amount of phlegm in the mornings and my vaping patterns match yours. I've noticed no differences whether I water filter or not. I'm not concerned about it as it's not a painful amount and does not linger after the first cough in the morning.

Winegums,

olivianewtonjohn

I normally have small amounts of phlegm in the mornings, and when I vape more I definitely notice an increase of phlegm production. Its happened multiple times. Usually occurs when I have been vaping daily for some time.

olivianewtonjohn,
Top Bottom