Ethanol diamonds?

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
Sorry if this knowledge is floating around, I just couldn't find any definite answer. After being out of the extraction loop I've been getting back into with my increasing amount of abv I aquire every month. I have just been making qwet with all of it. I have been saving for a couple months and have a bit over half lb. I was wondering if i could use qwet and the abv to make diamonds? It is about winter here so it can get very cold here so I could put in my unheated garage to keep cold or possibly do double boil method but with dry ice instead of heat. Would it work or is abv (a med brown material with most material or the lighter spectrum of green) to used up to achieve this?

iDRINKBLEACH,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
From my experience, abv will give you a dark and gross oil which is only suitable for edibles or to mix it with coco butter and load pills, for dabbing it's really bad, a lot worse than reclaim in my opinion!

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
From my experience, abv will give you a dark and gross oil which is only suitable for edibles or to mix it with coco butter and load pills, for dabbing it's really bad, a lot worse than reclaim in my opinion!
I do water cure and winterize and it seems to help. Tbh I'm not a big fan of most edibles. The high seems too heavy of the body and my mind gets groggy.

Last edited:
iDRINKBLEACH,

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I do water cure and winterize and it seems to help. Tbh I'm not a big fan of most edibles. The high seems too heavy of the body and my mind gets groggy.
How does it look after winterization?
And is the yield worth the trouble?
I did a quick Ethanol extraction with 80%EtOH and the "oil" that came out was indeed very oily to the touch, not really sticky, dark brown and bad tasting. And it was very, little. Water curing did help with the taste, but still not good.
I cannot really imagine that you could get diamonds out of this oil without some superduper lab equipment and/or a couple of clean solvents.
But I am no crystallisation expert, which is a whole field of chemistry.

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
How does it look after winterization?
And is the yield worth the trouble?
I did a quick Ethanol extraction with 80%EtOH and the "oil" that came out was indeed very oily to the touch, not really sticky, dark brown and bad tasting. And it was very, little. Water curing did help with the taste, but still not good.
I cannot really imagine that you could get diamonds out of this oil without some superduper lab equipment and/or a couple of clean solvents.
But I am no crystallisation expert, which is a whole field of chemistry.
It ends up light brownish amber. Semi sticky almost like pull and snap with not quite as much snap haha. Yield is not great at all probably has to do with cleaning. I process about qp at a time and only get a few grams. I got to have somewhere around a half lb of abv right now.

iDRINKBLEACH,

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
It ends up light brownish amber. Semi sticky almost like pull and snap with not quite as much snap haha. Yield is not great at all probably has to do with cleaning. I process about qp at a time and only get a few grams. I got to have somewhere around a half lb of abv right now.
Seems the winterization step cleans it up quite a bit.
You might try another "winterization" (does not necessarily need to get cold) with another solvent to remove more impurities.
iso might be to close to ethanol for a good effect, but I do not know. Pentane or something like that could work. If you have access to clean solvents! And can work under a hood in a lab or something.
And I would add a final step in ethanol and make sure to remove former toxic solvents.
In my understanding crystals are more likely to form in higher concentration solutions +-.
I personally would not use anything else that drinking alcohol (ethanol) in my home. Iso is very uncommon around here anyway.

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
Seems the winterization step cleans it up quite a bit.
You might try another "winterization" (does not necessarily need to get cold) with another solvent to remove more impurities.
iso might be to close to ethanol for a good effect, but I do not know. Pentane or something like that could work. If you have access to clean solvents! And can work under a hood in a lab or something.
And I would add a final step in ethanol and make sure to remove former toxic solvents.
In my understanding crystals are more likely to form in higher concentration solutions +-.
I personally would not use anything else that drinking alcohol (ethanol) in my home. Iso is very uncommon around here anyway.
Yeah it helps a bit. I use everclear every time. Food grade just makes me feel safer about it. Iso I would want a vac to remove it all the way.

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: Thick Vape

GoldenBud

i did dab(colibri butane extraction) from abv few times, with 30g abv each time. it gives small yield, but really sticky. i couldn't get all out from the pyrex dish, but i did few hits in my Vapcap and it was a pleasure. If i will make it again, how you advice me to get all the stickness from the pyrex? after i made the extraction i let it bain-marie for 10-20 minutes and then 70c in the oven, for losing all butane. it was not too tasty, but strong. no smell of butane what so ever.

the spoon i used for removing the oil from the pyrex was almost impossible to clean with dish soap :lol:

what is the advantage of butane bath later after the butane, except the clean? is it easily to remove from the pyrex? thanks

GoldenBud,

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
i did dab(colibri butane extraction) from abv few times, with 30g abv each time. it gives small yield, but really sticky. i couldn't get all out from the pyrex dish, but i did few hits in my Vapcap and it was a pleasure. If i will make it again, how you advice me to get all the stickness from the pyrex? after i made the extraction i let it bain-marie for 10-20 minutes and then 70c in the oven, for losing all butane. it was not too tasty, but strong. no smell of butane what so ever.

the spoon i used for removing the oil from the pyrex was almost impossible to clean with dish soap :lol:

what is the advantage of butane bath later after the butane, except the clean? is it easily to remove from the pyrex? thanks
To scrape I use exacto knife sets because the razor blades have many shapes and contours to get in corners. I have honestly never done another post butane bath. I have added everclear while purging to change the viscosity and allow the gas to still be released at room temp. I dont mess with butane any more after a long day of processing bho the small bits I was purging off the butane collected in my garbage disposal since it's a heavy gas. It stayed there for awhile and I was torch cleaning some tools when the disposal shot a giant flame out. Lost some of my eyebrows, bangs, and burnt the bottom of some cabinets. Luckily I always have a fire extinguisher close by.
I though I was pretty safe even grounding myself outside where fresh air was while blasting the butane to avoid static electricity. That was the last time I blasted. I then went on to make a rosin press before they were being produced like they are now. Good ol table vise, plates with holes for soldering iron.

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: GoldenBud

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Just about tools to scrape... I recently moved to a special tool for painter who are using thick paints, I didn't know the name but it was a unusued one from my wife, it's pretty souple and it helps to scrape everything, there is a large handle also. It's a lot easier to use than razor blades which are so small they hurt my fingers (I didn't cut myself I mean it's painfull when you need to scrape hardly). Just a thought...

GoldenBud

Just about tools to scrape... I recently moved to a special tool for painter who are using thick paints, I didn't know the name but it was a unusued one from my wife, it's pretty souple and it helps to scrape everything, there is a large handle also. It's a lot easier to use than razor blades which are so small they hurt my fingers (I didn't cut myself I mean it's painfull when you need to scrape hardly). Just a thought...
if you will ever know the name of this thing, let me know. i will keep making abv extracts maybe if i know how to get EVERYTHING from that pyrex.

GoldenBud,

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
@GoldenBud
I dull the razorblades to not cut myself when scraping or would use some thin souple metal sheets or some paint spatula as @PPN, because the razor blades are almost too small and you risk getting all on your fingers even for very small quantities.
For the very last bits in some inaccessible corners, you might try some alcohol to dissolve them, collect and evaporate again in a smaller or better scrapeable container.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I think it's this spatulas, the one I use looks like the second from the left and it's very thin and souple:
61pxSSXAsyL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
:rolleyes:
I CAME HERE FOR THE "DIAMONDS" AND I SEE GUNK INSTEAD :cry:
Dont worry man 6 more months and I can do more again. It will finally be legal here. I'm so stoked to be able to really get into extracting again. It's just too expensive rn unless you're the one boot legging it, and the felony is a pretty ugly one also.

iDRINKBLEACH,
  • Angry
Reactions: arb

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
You can only make diamonds with thca. abv would already be decarbed into thc, their would be very little if any thc-a.

Also I think I read somewhere you need high concentrations of thc-a for it to crystalize.
That makes sense. I probably have a lb n half of abv I need to do something with haha.

iDRINKBLEACH,
Top Bottom