Easiest to maintain, portable dry herb vapes?

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
I love my TM2 for many reasons, but one of the key features for me is the removable glass stem for easy filling and cleaning. Inside the unit stays pretty clean.

Question for the FC forum: In your experience, what other portable vapes are similarly easy to maintain? (I'd like to keep the discussion away from pod/capsule options, and there's extra bonus points for good performance and/or affordability.)

Thanks in advance! :tup:

Robert-in-YEG

Solo II comes to mind. It uses glass tubes. The Solo II is as about as simple as it gets.

For cleaning, soak the glass tubes in ISO. Very easy.

The Solo is a nice conduction vape. Mine gets used almost daily.

Robert-in-YEG

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Fury Edge, V3.
I've owned both of these and they are good vapes, but IMHO aren't as easy to clean since the herb goes in the SS bowl.

I'm really interested in ones where the heater/bowl area of the unit doesn't get dirty requiring a swabbing with ISO, etc.

Thanks!

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Solo II comes to mind. It uses glass tubes. The Solo II is as about as simple as it gets.

For cleaning, soak the glass tubes in ISO. Very easy.

The Solo is a nice conduction vape. Mine gets used almost daily.

Robert-in-YEG
Great recommendation! Prices are pretty good now too. Thanks!

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
My Splinter and shammer are similar to the TM in cleaning operations. Basically just cleaned the basket screen and stem. Same goes for the other RBTs (Mi3, Zion M).

If you count torch-powered as portable, the TRWW glass vapes are also easy to clean in this way.

Vaporware

The Nomad and Toad are a very similar configuration to the TM. I really think the TM’s layout was inspired by the Nomad (straight stem held in by o-rings above a metal ribbon spiraled heater in a compact wooden body).

You can easily remove and clean their heaters if you want to, but like the TM the only thing you should really need to clean is the stems.

…and since it as a simple unregulated design, there are no electronics to worry about, no screw and top/bottom plates that could come loose or get dirty underneath, no extra liner pieces in the stem hole, etc.

They may not be as good a fit for everyone as the TM, and I think the TM and TM2 are great options today that should last quite a while, but I think the Nomad and Toad designs should last the rest of my life and more (as long as you can get batteries that simulate the 18650s we have today) and it would be hard to make something easier to clean. :)

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
I was thinking battery powered vapes, but didn't specify so the TA counts. :) Plus there's a real good chance I'll pick one up someday!

The Nomad/Toad look amazing. I've been following along in those threads for a while now. Would love to try one someday.

The Air Max looks like another great option from Arizer. Wondering whether it is worth the higher price tag when compared with the Solo II? If so, why?

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Vapcap, anvil, danivape…
apollo 2
instant heat
Right, I do like the vapcap style vapes, especially with an induction heater!

Full disclosure: I'm trying to help my daughter get fully on board with dry herb vapes so she'll move away from smoking. To help with that, I'm hoping to find her something effective and super easy to use and maintain. She already has dynavaps and a Fury Edge that I gave her a while ago, plus a Pax 3, but doesn't love them. She does like my TM2, but that's too expensive unless I knew for sure she'll commit and take care of it.

gangababa

Nine years with an Arizer Solo (2 originals) and three weeks with a Tinymight 2.
I find similarity that encompasses their difference. Both are heaters of glass stems.

As said above, the Solo has easily cleanable glass. It also has an exceptionally long-lived battery pack.
Although my stems accumulate a lot of honey, my oven stays clean. The Solo is bullet-proof. It is a slower extractor however.

While most will say the TM2 is a convection vape while the Solo is conduction/convection, my TM2 gets hot enough that I am certain that conduction also occurs (eventually).

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Nine years with an Arizer Solo (2 originals) and three weeks with a Tinymight 2.
I find similarity that encompasses their difference. Both are heaters of glass stems.

As said above, the Solo has easily cleanable glass. It also has an exceptionally long-lived battery pack.
Although my stems accumulate a lot of honey, my oven stays clean. The Solo is bullet-proof. It is a slower extractor however.

While most will say the TM2 is a convection vape while the Solo is conduction/convection, my TM2 gets hot enough that I am certain that conduction also occurs (eventually).
Thanks for the helpful feedback!

I'm a little worried about the Solo II's slower extraction since she's made comments her Edge doesn't provide big enough hits. She's used to bongs and joints, and the TM2 provides big, easy clouds and even makes her cough. Maybe if she knows what to expect it will help. Thanks again.

gangababa

I'm a little worried about the Solo II's slower extraction since she's made comments her Edge doesn't provide big enough hits. She's used to bongs and joints, and the TM2 provides big, easy clouds and even makes her cough. Maybe if she knows what to expect it will help. Thanks again
(Edited to add words)
I never understood the 'milkshake talk' about the Solo until I got the TM2. I bought it for its power and ability to remind of the big-hits of the past.
I attest personally that the TM takes me higher, further, faster; finishing a bit more herb in less time, compared to the Solo. But the abv appears uneven. To get a big hit with a Solo, pack stem lightly, heat to 7, a good heat sink, long, slow, deep, steady inhale, hold, cough.
The amazing Solo heater is the small part to the left below; the bottom in the bottom picture.
20220902-131108.jpg

20220902-131028.jpg

Last edited:
gangababa,
Reactions: Photonic

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
I have to say the firefly 2+ so easy to maintain. It’s been my daily for a few years now. No regrets ever with this vape.
The FF2+ is interesting option and may appeal to smokers since it essentially looks like a pipe. The main issue I have is it appears to be a more finicky experience. I'm confident I would figure it out quickly and make it work well, but I don't know if a rookie (and potentially reluctant) dry herb vape user could make it perform. I really like the look of the "oak" version though.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
If you really want a bong smoker to consider a life fucking combustion I think you need to provide a heavy, and if that replicates the experience nicely then all the better.

Grab an elev8r kit. It's butane but incredibly easy to clean as it's glass and a couple of screens so just throw it in iso. The wand is hard hitting and surprisingly cool for portable and the WPA will completely emulate the bong experience in a much more tasty way. On top of all that it's very reasonably priced, you just need a good sized torch to pair with it.

Cheebsy,

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Thanks! The elev8r is definitely cool, but really looking for something more portable.

It would definitely check the box for something hard hitting and bong-like experience!

Robert-in-YEG

The Solo is bullet-proof. It is a slower extractor however.
What i have found with the Solo is that time makes a difference.

For use with the bong, allow the Solo sit and cook at full temperature for 2-3 minutes before taking the first hit. That seems to make a big difference for me. I've started doing the same thing with all my conduction vapes. Allowing things to cook, makes for more vapour.

One of the things I like about the Solo is that it doesn't require much fussing around. When used with a stopwatch, it is easy to get very consistent, predicable dosing.

Robert=in-YEG

Robert-in-YEG,

CleanHippie

I think its really hard to beat the TM2.
Takes me only about 15 minutes to do a deep clean, about 30 seconds to clean and load a new bowl.

CleanHippie,

hinglemccringleberry

I think its really hard to beat the TM2.
Takes me only about 15 minutes to do a deep clean, about 30 seconds to clean and load a new bowl.
🤣
It takes me 60 seconds to clean my Milaana 3 stem with iso/salt mixture and the recessed area where the stem sits doesnt need cleaning because it doesn't get dirty at all, doesn't smell at all.

I would have to clean that stem 15 times to spend 15 minutes on it 🤣

My Dynavap w/ Simrell stem is much more involved, takes about 5 minutes to clean it all ;)

hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: Grass Yes

CleanHippie

🤣
It takes me 60 seconds to clean my Milaana 3 stem with iso/salt mixture and the recessed area where the stem sits doesnt need cleaning because it doesn't get dirty at all, doesn't smell at all.

I would have to clean that stem 15 times to spend 15 minutes on it 🤣

My Dynavap w/ Simrell stem is much more involved, takes about 5 minutes to clean it all ;)
I'm not actively cleaning for 15 minutes, thats just how long I let it soak.

Top Bottom