cannasoor

who dials in below 5 here?
I have been experimenting down at 5.25* lately (with good results), but have never gone below a 5.0.

I am, BTW, an extremely satisfied E-Nano (cherry!) user for about 3 1/2 years (that's 3½ in Unicode ... and I guess about 24 in dog years).

More typically I run from about 5.5 up to about 6.7, with four dial-ups of about 0.3 each. (And for the record, about 8 hits before each dial-up, stirring roughly once a dial-up, but perhaps more often at the start and less at the end.) (But really, who's counting?? :rolleyes: .) I guess I am a "slow sipper" kinda guy.

* I suppose I should honor thread tradition and say not "5.25", but rather: 5.24758265... :lol: .

Summer

Long Island, NY
with four dial-ups of about 0.3 each. (And for the record, about 8 hits before each dial-up, stirring roughly once a dial-up, but perhaps more often at the start and less at the end.)

(But I guess I am a "slow sipper" kinda guy.)

You're saying 24 hits to a basket or bowl? :o How much are you loading? I'm a microdoser when it comes to my inhalation lung capacity or lack there of. With a .13g _ .15g bowl. I only get 4 - 6 hits. :hmm: Is 24 even possible? :lol:

cannasoor

You're saying 24 hits to a basket or bowl? :o How much are you loading?

Well, I'm not completely sure: I have tried measuring (digital scale isn't very accurate down in the .025-.03-.05 gram range, despite seller's claims ...). And I have tried calculating based on shorter and longer-term use and guesstimating. I think I'm somewhere between .025 and .05 (i.e., between about 1/40th of a gram and 1/20th) per dose/bowl/stem. I usually figure it's about 1/30th and that seems to be consistent with everything else.

But I expect the weight (mass?) varies from strain to strain with strain density, and grind (in turn affected by moisture ...), etc. In fact, I load by volume: I usually filled to "mid-scraggle" for the older, scraggly screens, and lately just before the top of the "bowl" for the recent "clean-cut" screens. I expect that between two extremes in strains, that same volume could end up being almost twice the mass (weight?).

("Bowl"? you ask? Yes, I confess it to the world: I am an unrepentant "cup-style" loader ... .)

I hafta say: I used to fill a little over the screen, but I have several times found that I get more effects if I go down to 2/3 or half full. As in, not just "more per milligram", but as in, actually more effects ... from a smaller dose!

Well, that's clearly ludicrous! So, as a compromise between experienced reality (smaller bowl = more effects?) and common sense (that just can't be!!), I have gotten in the habit of coming in at about 7/8 or so the capacity of the (clean-cut) screens, i.e., just below the "rim". I have to say, it works very well for me.

And so, with the pattern from above, that's actually about 35 hits per 1/30th of a gram (four bumps between sub-sessions means actually 5 sub-sessions, so to speak).

Like I said: bit of a slow sipper, I guess. (I have always marveled at the reports of others here and on reddit: caching out a "bowl" of 0.05 or 0.1 grams in two or three hits?!? :o )

I dunno: before full legality in Oregon, I had a heck of a time getting product (no friends, etc., with access, so just me creepin' on people in Portland's park blocks or whatever ... /cringe/). I got in the habit of really taking every dose for the long haul, squeezing out every bit that I could. (I used mostly an MFLB at the time, and still do for some things ... but my Nano is my DD for sure.) Now I have the opposite problem: too many strains to try, gotta vape 'em all! But old habits die hard, so I still push each stem pretty far. [My apologies to those of you suffering, destitute, in a "state of drought" (heh): I feel your pain! Come to Oregon!]

On the other hand ... I usually run 2-3 stems at a time, round-robin style, trading off every 4 hits at the very start, every 8-10 toward the end (say, when I dial up and stir each stem), often in a "head-to-head" comparison or contrast between strains. So a typical session is somewhere around 1/10th of a gram total (maybe as much as 0.15 if my guesstimates are off). And I sometimes combine that with a little side-car on the Lotus, Milaana, MFLB, etc. Sometimes two or even three sessions a day, but certainly never three of that size—I wouldn't think I've ever plowed through more than a quarter gram in one day day, even at the most ... er, "highest" (*ahem* :lol: ).

I should really write something up for this thread about the "head-to-head" comparison/contrast runs: I started to best appreciate fine distinctions in flavors between strains (or growers, or batches, ...) when I started doing those. The most indulgent I got was after I got my two most-recent stems—standard length, SS screens, but clean-cut! Anyway, I went on an all-out bender with four similar variants of Blueberry (True Blue, Blue Magoo, Hawaiian Blue, and Blueberry Cheesecake, I think). Of course, after 10-12 hits, the differences started to fade (and by 20+ hits, it's more effects than flavor).

But boy-oh-boy, in those first 6 hits or so, the flavors, and especially the distinctions between flavors, were just mind-blowing! And I was catching distinctions even between these similar flavors up into the 8-10 hits range (again, going round-robin between all four strains). By the end I was pretty plowed: probably 120 hits and something close to 1/6th of a gram, ... ! :ko:

OK, gotta go (work calls ...), but the last point I was trying to make was: the Nano, as a convenient desktop, and with such easy switching of stems, really facilitates this head-to-head stuff. As I said, I normally run two at a time, or even three some days. (Two days ago I tried sussing out a terp I really don't like much, helping clear out some vials of ground I was moving slow on: Zkittles, Cascade Orange, and Tropicana Cookies. All three of 'em have whatever-this-terp is, but I appreciated the citrus notes in the CO much more by contrast with the other two.)

cannasoor

OK, so I drew a quick "infographic"-style diagram of what loading my Nano looks like, just to be more clear (and visual) about things like screen orientation, load size(s), tamping, etc. Probably way Too Much Information, but I have to say, when I was first lurking around here at FC, I was very much wanting specifics. ("You should develop your own techniques!" is great, but it's also nice to have something to start with.)

Youch! The default size on the picture is pretty huge! Sorry about that!

NanoLoading.png

Gandalf

Well done @cannasoor this is great! Question: what’s the advantage of placing the basket screen “cup style”? Also, for the screen distance from the heater, do you use the long side of the e-pick to measure from the top of the stem to the bottom of the cup?

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Alas. both Gong replacements I got from EV are now broken. The original lasted me for years....possibly because I now have no carpet on my living room floor, but the new pieces did look more mass-made and I wonder if the quality of the glass is the same. The second piece broke by falling on a wood floor from a height of less than 2 feet...

Anyway, I have found a better way to attach the e-nano to a bubbler.

qIdF3uq.jpg

The second Gong broke quite cleanly at the point where straigth tube joins the tapered part. By covering the straight tube with the supplied silicone sleeve, the stem fits into the 19mm hole of the bubbler very well. The advantage is that the silicone gives a flexible seal, and relieves any pressure on the glass, and protects the tube from further breakage.... I propose to EV to consider this for their GonG options...

FB2dp3B.jpg

I have two of EVs straight tube long mouthpieces. I have ordered a glass tube cutter so that I can cut them into smaller pieces and give myself several spare GonGs... because paying over £40 to import two small pieces of mass-produced glass is not my style.

A piece of silicone tubing of the right diameter would work just as well as EV's silicone piece, I'm sure.

Last edited:

unsorted

The second Gong broke quite cleanly at the point where straigth tube joins the tapered part. By covering the straight tube with the supplied silicone sleeve, the stem fits into the 19mm hole of the bubbler very well. The advantage is that the silicone gives a flexible seal, and relieves any pressure on the glass, and protects the tube from further breakage.... I propose to EV to consider this for their GonG options...

FB2dp3B.jpg

A piece of silicone tubing of the right diameter would work just as well as EV's silicone piece, I'm sure.

So it's no longer a GonG adapter, now it's a SonG adapter (silicone on glass). Practical and economical....I like it.

Sparkpug

I've spent the past week experimenting with the glass screen stem and I think I might have changed my mind on them. I turned my nano to 5.5 and ran what is, accoring to @cannasoor's kick-ass chart, a light load after tamping with a Storz and Bickel brush handle. I get approx 1 puff which lasts for 8-10 seconds, and it's uniformly brown after. I feel some restriction this way but it seems to really allow me to pull for longer. With the steel screen stem I feel a looser/more open airflow but it feels harder to inhale with my newest pipe -a recycler style bong with a small 2nd chamber and neat whirlpool effect. The pipe seems to make it easier to inhale and I am finding the glass stems to be kick ass.

GetLeft

what’s the advantage of placing the basket screen “cup style”?

The nano is so flexible it suits virtually anyone's preferred vaping style. Screen positioning is one of those meaningful variables. Using the screen cupped like that didn't work for me because it tended to allow material to gather a little more easily; required a little more cleaning. I also like to be able to push the load as close to the heater as I want it. Using the screen dome-side up gives me more control over the distance between the material and the heater.

cannasoor

Well done @cannasoor this is great! Question: what’s the advantage of placing the basket screen “cup style”? Also, for the screen distance from the heater, do you use the long side of the e-pick to measure from the top of the stem to the bottom of the cup?

Thanks!

I don't know why I started inserting my screens cup style. I remember being completely flummoxed about it at the beginning (I may even have tried putting the herb on the side of the stem closer to the mouth, out of concern it would otherwise fall into the device. I think I took one draw and got a mouthful of herb that way.) But it took me a long time to even realize that others loaded "cap style". I tried that a few times and it seemed different in minor, difficult-to-describe ways ... but I ultimately preferred the cup style, perhaps just out of habit.

Re E-pick and measurements: I actually don't use the E-pick, either for measuring or for stirring (and I could never get mine to work right as a "stand" for the stem). I use a (pleasedon'tthinklessofmehere) cherry wood "toothpick", actually a little longer & thicker, that I cut out of the same cherry dowel as for my tamper stick. It's *exceedingly* twee and such, I get that ... but it's very handy (to help coax fresh flower out of vials, to stir a bowl, to coax ground flower down the funnel into the vial, etc.). And re measurement, I just keep my screens' cup bottoms a sliver above the top of the stem guard, which I've adjusted so it'll put the cup top about 13mm away from the end of the stem. (The stem guards are pretty stable, but I occasionally have to re-adjust.)

I'm not sure where I got the 13mm figure from: I think I based it on a very nicely drawn out bowl I had, figuring whatever distance I was at for that one couldn't be too bad. But maybe based also on some pictures/charts I saw from very early in the thread.

I also like to be able to push the load as close to the heater as I want it. Using the screen dome-side up gives me more control over the distance between the material and the heater.

So I can actually adjust my cup-style screens during a run, at least easily in the closer-to-the-heater direction: my tamper rod is long enough to go in the mouth end, and all the way up, to push the cup from below toward the heater end of the stem.

Adjusting down away from the heater is a little trickier, but if I can catch the edge of the screen, where it's adjacent to the glass, I can usually push it some that way. (The tamper rod is basically the shape of a round chopstick, but not tapered. It's about 3/4 as big around as the inner diameter of the stem, thus very close to the inner diameter of the cup.)

I also use the tamper rod for "dry cleaning" of various degrees: swirl the rod around the inside of the stem, holding it flat and tight, to clean debris and even some oil (helps if the stem is hot); or use it to pop the screen for a quick brush; or both. And also for "wet cleaning": I use a rolled-up half tissue (it looks like a dental cotton roll or ... maybe a tampon? :shrug: ); I dip the end in some Everclear (190 proof = 95% pure grain alcohol), insert it into the stem, and push it out through the other end (with the tamper). This saves alcohol over swishing a bunch around in the stem, and can also be done easily at my desk, with no trip to the sink. (I also soak the screens occasionally in EverClear and salt, shaking periodically, in another glass vial.)

I have probably thought way too much about tools and processes over the years, but I think I have optimized pretty well for flavor, convenience, style, discretion, and expense (in roughly that order). But I learn new things and am inspired to new heights all the time by stuff I see here on FC (and even on Reddit 😜).

Well, maybe also inspired to new heights by a couple o' good sativas in a couple o' Nano stems ... . :leaf::rockon:

I'm a microdoser when it comes to my inhalation lung capacity or lack there of. With a .13g _ .15g bowl. I only get 4 - 6 hits. :hmm: Is 24 even possible? :lol:

So @Summer, you have really got me pondering (and counting in my head, and taking notes, etc.), trying to figure out how our techniques could be so different. I always knew I was something of a "slow sipper", but these are pretty dramatic differences. I have to admit, I may be taking bowls further than I really need to: maybe I am chasing after effects that are just not there to find (and I admit I go a bit past the pale on flavor, despite how much it drives me on the front end).

I think I also take shorter "sips", perhaps? Especially short at the start (or I would be overwhelmed), but also later on, when I get distracted-and-diffused, I sometimes fall into absent-mindedly sipping with short pulses of 3-4 (?) seconds each (maybe?). But if I were to count every one of those, when I get that way, I'm pretty sure I'd be into 40-plus hits-and-sips per 1/30th gr. stem.

Which seems just waaay different than your technique.

Do you take huge, lung-filling hits from the beginning? I tried to count & calibrate, and I draw at a rate that would fill my lungs pretty much to capacity (uncomfortable but not painful) at about 35-45 seconds of draw (well, just drawing air through pursed lips; I should try on the Nano, even though that's much bigger than my usual hits.)

Also, do you use a bubbler or similar, or a beaded stem? I don't use water-cooling or air-cooling much, usually just straight-up from a standard-length stem w/ adjustable/stainless-steel screen. I understand that people who use water (especially) can take much bigger hits, what with the cooling. (I have issues both of discretion and flavor loss with bubblers, and I'm lucky enough to be able to tolerate un-cooled stems.)

I also notice a phenomenon where I get renewed clouds, not quite as big or for as many hits, at the start of a second "sub-session". In other words, I take a few hits on a stem (then maybe round-robin the others), and then pause to bump temp, wait for 5-10 mins. to get up to heat, and stir again before going for another 8-12 hits. After that bump-pause-stir, I usually get another few hits with clouds. Again, not usually as big or for as many hits as at the very start, but significant, and often with a kind of deepening of the flavor. Not necessarily all the way to that caramelized/roasted point, but interesting new things usually come out there.

Well, I feel like I should write it all up ... and make diagrams! In fact, I found a sort of "time-series" diagram I sketched a couple years back when thinking about these issues. I'll post that rough draft here ... but now I want to re-visit it with more and better (and newer) information. (Hmm, even then I was noting that bump-pause-stir second-cloud phenomenon.)

SessionProfileOld.png

These days I'd start a little lower on the cooler runs than I did back then; so maybe 5.3 compared to 5.5. And I need to systematize the shapes colors and positions of the clouds in the diagram to better reflect various parameters. Well, I'll work on a newer, updated version and let you all know.

Who knows, maybe we could come up with a way to illustrate session parameters that would help people communicate their technique and the results they get?

FLelder ent

You're saying 24 hits to a basket or bowl? :o How much are you loading? I'm a microdoser when it comes to my inhalation lung capacity or lack there of. With a .13g _ .15g bowl. I only get 4 - 6 hits. :hmm: Is 24 even possible? :lol:

So @Summer, you have really got me pondering (and counting in my head, and taking notes, etc.), trying to figure out how our techniques could be so different. I always knew I was something of a "slow sipper", but these are pretty dramatic differences. I have to admit, I may be taking bowls further than I really need to: maybe I am chasing after effects that are just not there to find (and I admit I go a bit past the pale on flavor, despite how much it drives me on the front end).

I think I also take shorter "sips", perhaps? Especially short at the start (or I would be overwhelmed), but also later on, when I get distracted-and-diffused, I sometimes fall into absent-mindedly sipping with short pulses of 3-4 (?) seconds each (maybe?). But if I were to count every one of those, when I get that way, I'm pretty sure I'd be into 40-plus hits-and-sips per 1/30th gr. stem.

Which seems just waaay different than your technique.

Do you take huge, lung-filling hits from the beginning? I tried to count & calibrate, and I draw at a rate that would fill my lungs pretty much to capacity (uncomfortable but not painful) at about 35-45 seconds of draw (well, just drawing air through pursed lips; I should try on the Nano, even though that's much bigger than my usual hits.)

Also, do you use a bubbler or similar, or a beaded stem? I don't use water-cooling or air-cooling much, usually just straight-up from a standard-length stem w/ adjustable/stainless-steel screen. I understand that people who use water (especially) can take much bigger hits, what with the cooling. (I have issues both of discretion and flavor loss with bubblers, and I'm lucky enough to be able to tolerate un-cooled stems.)

I also notice a phenomenon where I get renewed clouds, not quite as big or for as many hits, at the start of a second "sub-session". In other words, I take a few hits on a stem (then maybe round-robin the others), and then pause to bump temp, wait for 5-10 mins. to get up to heat, and stir again before going for another 8-12 hits. After that bump-pause-stir, I usually get another few hits with clouds. Again, not usually as big or for as many hits as at the very start, but significant, and often with a kind of deepening of the flavor. Not necessarily all the way to that caramelized/roasted point, but interesting new things usually come out there.

Well, I feel like I should write it all up ... and make diagrams! In fact, I found a sort of "time-series" diagram I sketched a couple years back when thinking about these issues. I'll post that rough draft here ... but now I want to re-visit it with more and better (and newer) information. (Hmm, even then I was noting that bump-pause-stir second-cloud phenomenon.)

View attachment 1715

These days I'd start a little lower on the cooler runs than I did back then; so maybe 5.3 compared to 5.5. And I need to systematize the shapes colors and positions of the clouds in the diagram to better reflect various parameters. Well, I'll work on a newer, updated version and let you all know.

Who knows, maybe we could come up with a way to illustrate session parameters that would help people communicate their technique and the results they get?

Wow....Lol...I get 1 hit , maybe 1.5 hits per stem. I'm using the Epic adjustable screen stem and my E-Nano is set at 7.5. I load about .05-.10 g and I take a healthy draw . :peace:

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I would often let my gongs get pretty gunky with reclaim and then sop it up with a piece of organic cotton. A quick blast of a torch along the length of the gong while twirling the glass was all you needed to liquify that reclaim, then with the cotton stuck on the end of wooden skewer, you twirl that mop all along the inside of that gong (or stem for that matter). All that reclaim just soaks right in. Then you pop the cotton in your reassembled gong (or any vape) and hit that shit. It's not the worst tasting, but it will make you want to slap your pappy.

Lately I've been liking my ice stem. It's actually waterless with glass beads. It does cool the hit down quite a bit, and it is also the hardest hitting glass attachment I have for the nano. While I do use screens flat top up in stems and gongs, the ice stem's fixed screen only allows me to fit a metal screen in C-shape. That fucker hits with a wallop. Before you understand what is going on, your first hit is practically giving you complete extraction. You blow a massive cloud and the second hit gives hardly anything. Terp flavors come through so nicely too.

despeRAWdo

Fan of Hot Air Makers.
I've been using my ice stem a lot more recently as well. I really enjoy it.
I've been running it with only the built in glass screen. It get noticeably dirtier than my adjustable screens much quicker, with bigger particulates stuck to the glass.
I'm not too big on stem milk, or reclaim in general, so I just iso bath and shake and it comes just as clean as my adjustable glass stems. Sometimes I do find some plant material hidden under one of the beads after a cleaning, but that piece is a trooper and proved it deserves to be there.

androponic

vaped.
Hey yall. just got an email from epic.

code FFFLASH gets 25% off. here are the details.

Pricing valid on Cherry, Maple, and Walnut E-Nano kits. Not valid on any Premium, Exotic or Artisan wood type. Sale Price $149.25 excludes tax and shipping. Valid from 8/3/20 - 8/6/20 @ 11:59 PM PST. Not valid on previous orders. Sale cannot be combined with any other sale, coupon, code or promotion. *25% off refers to E-Nano Kit special only. Code valid only at www.epicvape.com.

PactolusKY

I don't usually leave reviews for vapes but I had to login here to say a bit about this one. After researching multiple desktop vapes, I had come down to either this or DaDuddha. After seeing that dabuddha needed a separate kit ($100?!) to vape concentrates, I decided to go with this after people said it vapes concentrates just fine. I do not regret my purchase and I highly recommend this vape. Its really smaller than you expect when you first get it, but it performs like a little tank.

One tip that would have helped me with the learning curve, it really does not take much bud to get clouds. If you put in too much bud, it will have little airflow and hardly any vapor. Basically, the smaller you pack it, the better clouds you will get. I am talking TINY packs, like literally a couple pinches. It's amazing what this piece of hardware can produce from that little material.

PactolusKY

Hey yall. just got an email from epic.

code FFFLASH gets 25% off. here are the details.

Pricing valid on Cherry, Maple, and Walnut E-Nano kits. Not valid on any Premium, Exotic or Artisan wood type. Sale Price $149.25 excludes tax and shipping. Valid from 8/3/20 - 8/6/20 @ 11:59 PM PST. Not valid on previous orders. Sale cannot be combined with any other sale, coupon, code or promotion. *25% off refers to E-Nano Kit special only. Code valid only at www.epicvape.com.
Also, I kinda hate the fact that sale is happening only 10 days after I bought my walnut kit at full price. It hurts.

PactolusKY,
Reactions: Summer

Gandalf

E-Nano is my favorite vape for this exact reason. I like to microdose and it’s just so incredibly efficient. I don’t like getting too stoned these days, just enough to feel a slight buzz, and a couple crumbs in my Nano is all I need. I’ve been through a ton of vapes over the years and just keep coming back to the Nano. If mine broke tomorrow I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

PactolusKY

Another little tip here, when you need to stir the bowl, a needle or a pin weeks much better than the e-pik it comes with. Perfect airflow.

graywulf

After fiddling around with a few different ways of packing, I landed on a use-style that seems to be different than what I generally read online.

I prefer to tear off a complete piece of flower (no grind), and then stuff it into the glass screen WPA.
Depending on how large I've packed this bowl (as this step isn't always necessary), I'll take a toothpick to aerate it -- I accomplish this by gently twisting a toothpick through the packed flower and out one of the holes on the glass screen (I may do this 1-5x).
Temp gets run between 7 and 8.5.
I'll clear the bowl in a few lungfuls or until flavor deteriorates, and then scoop out the vaped flower with a toothpick into the ABV dish. The ABV comes out cleanly like a nice little soil core sample.
I then use the toothpick or just blow through the WPA to clear any leftover debris, and that's it.

I like this method because,
1. No grinding, no stirring, less mess
2. Great flavor from not masticating your nug
3. WPA remains very clean even after frequent use. Easy ABV removal from WPA.

Everyone seems to recommend the metal screens for various reasons... and while they do prevent snacks from falling through, you don't have this problem if you don't grind. I also find the screens are a pain to clean, get dirty quickly, have sharp edges -- and the fact that they slide around proves more of a nuisance than a benefit.

Top Bottom