e-cig's and e-juice

stevecam

Long time vaper returning, with a question

What is going on with this new trend, I have been becoming concerned and I have also noticed a rather large amount of shilling going on associated with these devices

Personally I object to these devices with a very simple understanding of the chemistry behind it however I wouldn't mind hearing other peoples thoughts on it while trying to keep an open mind

stevecam,

Planck

believes in Dog
Big topic anything more specific than what you posted that you wish to discuss?

Planck,
Reactions: Magic9

Paolo

Long time vaper returning, with a question

What is going on with this new trend, I have been becoming concerned and I have also noticed a rather large amount of shilling going on associated with these devices

Personally I object to these devices with a very simple understanding of the chemistry behind it however I wouldn't mind hearing other peoples thoughts on it while trying to keep an open mind

Hi, since there is no burning the dangers of traditional smoking are very reduced, why do you oppose it? I would be curious about your arguments

uncanni

Surely by now everyone has read in reliable sources that the problem was chemicals in vape juices that were burning the lungs. And clearly some people were putting product out on the street without it being properly purged.

The problem is not vaporization: the problem is the poisons being added to the THC and other cannabinoids.

uncanni,

Paolo

Surely by now everyone has read in reliable sources that the problem was chemicals in vape juices that were burning the lungs. And clearly some people were putting product out on the street without it being properly purged.

The problem is not vaporization: the problem is the poisons being added to the THC and other cannabinoids.
do you speak about vaporizers liquid not herb? It's different, for herbs the question is where and how they grow, for liquids what they put into it (besides propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine) ps ps I used to smoke cigarettes, then I switched to electronic cigarettes and now to herbal vaporizers. what judgment do you give on fenix v 2? Did I buy well?

Paolo,
Reactions: uncanni

Planck

believes in Dog
Vitamin E Acetate a thickener appears to be the problem not purging

Last edited:
Planck,

uncanni

do you speak about vaporizers liquid not herb? It's different, for herbs the question is where and how they grow, for liquids what they put into it (besides propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine) ps ps I used to smoke cigarettes, then I switched to electronic cigarettes and now to herbal vaporizers. what judgment do you give on fenix v 2? Did I buy well?

Yes, I am referring to vape juice, not herb. I don't know the fenix v2, so I can't comment on that.

Vitamin E Acetate a thickener appears to be the problem not purging

Incomplete purging can be a problem with concentrates, not juice.

uncanni,

uncanni

uncanni,

Planck

believes in Dog
people hospitalized were vaping Cannabis and e-cigs

They were vaping cannabis concentrates in electronically powered vaporizers.
I assume you are aware that there are many battery powered vapes specifically for cannabis ISO, BHO oil errl etc. Also some formulations of cannabis oils that will vape in regular vapes designed for nicotine e-juice.

Nicotine e-juice (e-cigs) have nothing to do with this

uncanni

They were vaping cannabis concentrates in electronically powered vaporizers.
I assume you are aware that there are many battery powered vapes specifically for cannabis ISO, BHO oil errl etc. Also some formulations of cannabis oils that will vape in regular vapes designed for nicotine e-juice.

Nicotine e-juice (e-cigs) have nothing to do with this
Read the article.

uncanni,

organic weed

Here's an article from the NYTimes about the lung damage caused by chemicals. Apparently, people hospitalized were vaping Cannabis and e-cigs. The article mentions "vaping cartridges," which clearly indicates the use of juices--not straight bud. Hope this clarifies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/02/health/vaping-illnesses.html

This articule specifically says “They do not know whether the source is the liquids being vaped, or a toxin released from the materials used to make vaping devices. It is also unclear whether some devices used in vaping may be defective.”

Herb vaporizers are made by plastic and electric components that can realesse a lot of gases. About 4 years ago I Vaped for about 1 year and I constantly had serious irritation. Now I stopped vaping herbs completely about 2 years ago. Still, I feel my respiratory system is not performing as well as it used to with easy and constant irritations. I hope I didn’t cause any major harm to my lungs. Only time will tell and if I could go back in time I would not vape either. Just use edibles, tinctures or simply not use MJ.
I had the most expensive capes - plenty, mighty, etc.

The vape sector is completely unregulated. No technical standards. So we are being the winny pigs of the sector. Do you want to be one? I don’t and I wished I realized that much earlier when the first symptoms appeared. But I kept vaping because it was “safe@. Cannabis vapor is safer than smoke. The vaporizers? We simply don’t know.

We need strict technical standards regulated by health agents. They simply are not there yet. The more people will give up buying vape and ask for a change to regulate these tools, the safer vaping will become.

uncanni

This articule specifically says “They do not know whether the source is the liquids being vaped, or a toxin released from the materials used to make vaping devices. It is also unclear whether some devices used in vaping may be defective.”

Herb vaporizers are made by plastic and electric components that can realesse a lot of gases. About 4 years ago I Vaped for about 1 year and I constantly had serious irritation. Now I stopped vaping herbs completely about 2 years ago. Still, I feel my respiratory system is not performing as well as it used to with easy and constant irritations. I hope I didn’t cause any major harm to my lungs. Only time will tell and if I could go back in time I would not vape either. Just use edibles, tinctures or simply not use MJ.
I had the most expensive capes - plenty, mighty, etc.

The vape sector is completely unregulated. No technical standards. So we are being the winny pigs of the sector. Do you want to be one? I don’t and I wished I realized that much earlier when the first symptoms appeared. But I kept vaping because it was “safe@. Cannabis vapor is safer than smoke. The vaporizers? We simply don’t know.

We need strict technical standards regulated by health agents. They simply are not there yet. The more people will give up buying vape and ask for a change to regulate these tools, the safer vaping will become.

I've never used any vaporizer with anything but ceramic, surgical steel and glass components coming in contact with vapor; plastic would melt if heated to vaping temps. So I don't think that's what caused the damage to your lungs.

What were you vaping? If you were vaping contaminated weed--or if Neem oil had been used on the bud you were vaping--that could cause the symptoms you describe. All you have to do is read some really reputable reviews on the current vaporizer technology in NYTimes, for example, to realize that some of these machines are medical grade.

uncanni,

organic weed

I've never used any vaporizer with anything but ceramic, surgical steel and glass components coming in contact with vapor; plastic would melt if heated to vaping temps. So I don't think that's what caused the damage to your lungs.

What were you vaping? If you were vaping contaminated weed--or if Neem oil had been used on the bud you were vaping--that could cause the symptoms you describe. All you have to do is read some really reputable reviews on the current vaporizer technology in NYTimes, for example, to realize that some of these machines are medical grade.

Hope u’r right! I used to grow 100% of my starch and all edibles and tinctures I use today are made of it...

organic weed,

Oadslug

I know this is an old thread, but thought you might appreciate the perspective of a long term ecig user. I can honestly say that ecigs have saved my life (and the lives of many friends). I have been vaping for 10+ years. Before that I was a pack to pack-and-a-half a day smoker for 20+ years. And it was really starting to take a serious toll on my health. I attempted quitting several times with little success. Had I not discovered ecigs, I’m pretty confident I would still be smoking today. Fortunately, one evening I ran into someone standing outside a bar that was nice enough to let me try their vape, which wasn’t very common at the time. It was menthol, which was kind of gross, but I immediately saw the potential, and bought my first device, and some nic flavored juice. Back in those days devices were little more than pen vapes - with terrible vape delivery, very little in the way of safety, and complicated. Despite the terrible flavors, and the learning curve, and the shitty devices, I took to it immediately, and naturally switched completely away from analog cigs within 2 or 3 weeks. Within a month my sense of smell and taste returned. I stopped feeling winded walking up a simple flight of stairs. My house and clothes didn’t reek of smoke anymore — something which I hadn’t even noticed before! And it has just gotten better since then. Today, despite the fact that, if I’m awake, I either have an ecig in my hand or within easy reach, I feel very healthy. Complete life transformation.

With the shitty delivery of devices in the early days, and my body over-compensating for effects, I was vaping probably 18 to 24mg juice during the transition. But as I got more used to it, and devices improved, I reduced my nicotine to 3mg which is where I’m at today. This gradual reduction in nicotine is something you could never do with cigs. Today devices are really good, very safe, and the industry does a pretty good job self-regulating (out of, among other things, fear for its survival).

I’m very health conscious, and go so far as to build my own coils (quality wire, organic Japanese cotton), and mix my own juice (propolyne glycol, veg glycerin, pharmaceutical grade nic, and high quality flavoring ‘Fuji apple’ :) — partially for financial reasons (e.g. $60 vs $3 for 120ml bottle of juice), partially for health reasons, and partially to get the exact strength/flavor that I enjoy. And this is not uncommon within the vaping community.

I have also followed the vape health news fairly closely, and have been very conscious about any health concerns and studies. For the most part the overwhelming health consensus around the world is pretty unanimous. Ecigs are not ‘healthy’ for you, but are way way healthier than smoking - and I would go further and say by a factor of about a 1000. I personally feel like ecigs are on the scale of drinking coffee — not great for you, if done in excess, but will likely not do any permanent damage. Just chill out if you are doing too much, and the effects will quickly leave your system. Unlike smoking which is doing cumulative, long-lasting, and potentially life-threatening damage to your system. I can’t say, that if I overdo it during the day, that I might not feel a little tightness in the chest — but it quickly dissipates, and by morning I feel totally fine. Something that I could never say with analog cigs.

Regarding the heath scare over the last few years with people ending up in the hospital with lung conditions. First let me say this is tragic. But I don’t believe it was caused by vaping ecigs at all. As far as I was able to parse out of the ongoing news, it happened mostly amongst teenagers in states where cannibis is illegal. And instead of admitting to their doctors and parents that they were smoking an illegal substance they said they were ‘vaping’, which was technical true — but they failed to admit what they were vaping (or what else they were vaping). Apparently, some brilliant fucking idiots on the black market decided that they would use vitamin-e as a base for their cannabis oil cartridges, because “if it’s good to ingest, then it must be good to inhale”, right? This sadly sent many people to the emergency room. And the news was jumped on by the anti-smoking groups and produced “scare headlines” to throw everyone into a panic. The biggest evidence for this is the fact that vaping had been around for years with exactly zero incidents (apart from the occasional exploding battery), and then all of a sudden you have all these teens ending up in the hospital with serious lung issues and even death over a very short period, and then just as quickly, it all stops. This did huge damage to the vaping community (both cannabis and nicotine), and to spreading the real benefits of vaping vs combustion.

Since then many cities have banned flavorings, and San Francisco has gone as far as to ban the sale of vaping devices (even online). I now have to get my devices delivered to friends in Oakland! Wtf?! As a result, San Francisco is seeing the first rise in smoking rates amongst teens in years. Very sad. I don’t recommend any teenager take up vaping, but teenagers are going to do what teenagers do, and should have the healthiest option available to do it. Meanwhile, it’s fine to roll up a joint, which is probably 10x worse (from a lung-health perspective) than smoking. Go figure.

Happy vaping :)

Last edited:
Oadslug,
  • Love
Reactions: Planck

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I smoked cigarettes for about 20 years.

The little slim "ecigs" didn't do much for me, but once I educated myself, and had a proper vaporizer with a tank of ejuice with the high nicotine levels (I used to get 24% - 36%, depending on what was available), I never looked back. And I never bought a pack of cigarettes again.

I don't even use nicotine vapes anymore. After a few years I had broken my vape, and couldn't afford a new one right away. But I didn't have the same withdrawal like I had with cigarettes, and I just didn't buy another one. I hadn't had any intentions of quitting vaping, because I enjoyed it and nicotine without combustion isn't very harmful (it appears about as dangerous as caffeine), and I enjoyed the high-nic juices (I used to get 36%, the highest I could find). But it didn't have the same addiction pull as cigarettes did. So, I just didn't need to spend the money anymore.

I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to quit smoking cigarettes, as long as you do your research, and don't just buy the crappy little "ecigs" that they sell in gas stations, because those probably won't do it for you.

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
Smoking sucks and is super expensive.

Fun fact around $100 worth of nicotine ejuice base will supply me with enough nicotine to last me a year.

$100 worth of cigarettes will last me a week lmao.

Top Bottom