• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Durability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple-Days

This is a thread dedicated to durability.

There are lots of other factors that will decide which vape is right for you.

Here is the YouTube of our first 'Destructive' tests of our long term test unit. It is cherry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBKcampdxPk
just 28 seconds.

I call it Up, Up and Thudd... An underhanded toss 20 feet or so into the air.
The ground is hard packed limestone gravel. Not so user friendly from 20 feet.

No parts have been removed from the unit. This is a freshly unplugged unit, a hot test you could say.

I am using it as I write and it is just fine. I dug a few micro-pebbles from the end grain, dings for sure. But a little light sanding and some more Buzz-Butter and it's gonna be like new.

I look forward to someone raising the bar. :D

Anybody wondering, after this, I had to trade Pam, she now has the beautiful Rosewood Unit. She lets me use it when I'm in the kitchen. And behaving. :)

Purple-Days,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Haha, this made me smile. I didn't think anyone would take tokinGLX up on his challenge but, right after I watched his video, here this post was. I was worried the wood might crack or something, but clearly you're confident in your work. :tup:

From what I've seen the Purple-Days has got to be a candidate for best portable vape. Just need to get the battery system going. :)

For the next test I will throw my glass bong against a brick wall. Hehe, no, these tests are a great idea, and thanks for a morning laugh!

vtac,

max

Out to lunch
I'm not going to try this 20 ft. toss test with my unit. Not only do I believe it would survive (just from handling and normal use you can tell it's solid, durable construction), but I trust Tom as an 'honest vape durability tester'. I'm certainly not going to give my ceramic and glass Vapolution the toss test, at least not while it's in working condition (back up vape or not :lol:).

Anybody wondering, after this, I had to trade Pam, she now has the beautiful Rosewood Unit.
You tossed her brand new Macassar Ebony unit? :o:o Why didn't you use the Rosewood? That one had already survived the 'cop stop drop'. Or was she coveting the Rosewood anyway? ;)

max,

Purple-Days

No, max, the ebony is still slick and very nice. No need to test that one.

The ebony unit (she wanted so bad) is too heavy for her weak grip and she has shifted away from it. It's a beautiful wood.
We are keeping it as a display piece and for occasional use . I think the ebony would stand a nuclear blast. :)

The rosewood is still a long term test unit but the cherry I'm tossin' and testing, has been in use longer, by a bit. The rosewood won't get the abuse, it's too nice. It's for a mellow time, nice and smooth. Like new. This cherry test unit can come into the shop with me and take whatever I've got to give it.

These tests are on our everyday American Cherry unit.

I didn't think it was fair to put a super-hardwood up for comparison. Or modify our units in any way before testing. No way. Ever.

This is cherry, our house wood.

It's the F-250 Test !
vtac was 'worried the wood might crack'. Well, the shock test wasn't enough to test that. How about this for a compression test?
We ran a full size truck over it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrlfTESV3bk
Twice.

Hope you enjoy me mis-behaving, :lol:
Tom

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
I'm not the least bit surprised it survived the truck test. It's nice to know the next time I'm vaping in the driveway and forget to take it inside I'll only have to worry about some little dents and a tire track. :lol:

max,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I actually remember some guy posting about how he accidentally ran over his vape (think it was some vapir) after leaving under his car to cool off in a parking lot. Don't remember if it survived, but... leaky piece of plastic probably deserved it. :D

vtac,

Purple-Days

The tire tracks are wearing off with handling. But the dents are gonna stay. :) No tricks. This is about as real-life as it gets.

Test #3 should put a couple more dings in the body. Should be fun to watch.

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
Can't wait to see what you've got in mind for test #3. For #4 I nominate a quick drop in water (no electrical connection)-sink, bathtub, toilet-your choice. Extended 'dry out time' allowed. ;)

max,

Purple-Days

Test #3 Purple-Days vs. a Commercial Dryer that doesn't cooperate. :/

This one went a little long at 55 seconds. But, you will see why.
Be sure and turn the sound up for the full effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqDtpOu3A-k

I used to watch Saturday morning wrestling as a kid. There were these two stange fellows, The Bargain City Kid and his partner. Not wrestlers, live Saturday morning commercial men for Rink's Bagrain City. These two crazy guys who would introduce the products or specials of the week, then sling the merchandise off stage. Didn't matter what it was, ladies dresses to lawn mowers. They sold it all and 'pitched' it too. You could hear it clatter across the floor. No pile of matresses or somebody catching stuff, no way. That's what made it fun.

Hope everybody gets a good laugh from this clip. ;)

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

Test #4 Purple-Days in upright position vs. F-250

I like to cover all the angles. So the first F-250 test was not enough.

I took it nice and slow. Plenty of torture, and pressure and then then the explosion. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ_RIfmXfLs

It looks bad, rocks and dirt go flying. But the hardwood bottom and leather held up nicely. I brought it in and wiped it off with a damp rag. More dings, but no damage.

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
The dryer test would have been perfect after my suggestion-'the drop in the water test'. Actually, I'm not sure the water test would be a fair one for any electric vape. By the way Tom, your test #2 vid doesn't seem to be working anymore.

max,

Purple-Days

Test #5 Purple-Days vs Water Torture

Never do this to an electrical appliance. This is crazy. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJEqUGEYWk

Shook it out, dried it about 5 minutes. Just couldn't wait any longer. Plugged it in. Let it heat up, the popping and sizzles were kinda interesting, but it got over that pretty quick as water boiled away from the heat exchanger. and back up to vapor making temperature. I am vaping with it now. Mmmmmm.

Purple-Days,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
You're fuckin killin me, Tom...these are hilarious! I wish there were a way to roll the cameras all the way to where you turn it on to check the light without any cuts.

I about died whatching you fish that thing out of the dryer!

stickstones,

Purple-Days

Glad you are enjoying. They are meant to be fun. That dryer should have shut off with an open door. I hadn't planned on such an adventure. Or torture test. It felt like forever trying to catch that stupid thing, but on tape it's just seconds. I threw the sweatshirt in there to try and tangle it up but was no help at all. Lucky catch.

I understand the concern with the cut to the plug in. Sure anybody can make a switch. Maybe before your eyes without you knowing. Magic.

Even this time, test #6, the unit went off camera for a moment.

I'm a skeptic. And after years of deceptive advertising and more everyday, I think everybody should be.

Why it doesn't matter, I hope.
These were intended from the start to be destructive. And I finally succeeded. :lol:

I started out offering a one year warranty. A friend talked me into going with a three year warranty like the Volcano has. Made sense, but what might go wrong and how to test it.

A fellow enthusiast suggested a rooftop toss onto pavement. Sounded cool.

When test #1 did nothing, I had to make the tests harder.

This one finally did it. Kinda.

90 seconds maybe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_tABoja0tU

I finally killed the LED. Six pretty hard smacks and a framing hammer hit, wall bounce and drop to a concrete floor from kitchen counter height. At first I thought the plug might have snapped or the cord might have broken. I had a spare transformer in pocket anticipating that scenario. But the hard shocks to the counter killed the LED, I think, could have been the hammer or floor. Who knows, this thing has been through a lot.

Sorry about the watermark and edit of the test, I was distracted and left the camera running, Oops. Had to grab a trial software to trim the length. But, it's clear at that point that the LED is a dead soldier. Not much else to learn.

If I was faking any of this, I can't imagine showing a failure.

This was about pushing it all the way to the limit. Finding out what it would it take to kill a Purple-Days? I was confident it would take a lot. I thought test #5 would be the end.

I had to push further. I still don't know what it will take to make the heater stop. And can't think of a safe way to harm it.

So now what? I'm not sure. The unit works fine, it's still solid, but no LED light. I've used it all morning.

It's under warranty, guess I better fix it. Or should I keep it as is?

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

OK totally whacky. I was reading what I posted to Pam and she says, "Oh no..." "What ?" "It's on!"

Somehow this LED has Come back to life. I'm absolutely positive it's not a loose conection. No way. No rattles, and no way with the way things go together. When I designed the bottom I made sure we would have no mechanical connection failures there.

I am sitting here shaking my head. This is pretty wild. And I'm not sure why anyone would believe.
But is on. Just banged it around pretty good and it's not a bad connection.

What now ?

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
This reminds me of Mythbusters when they bust a myth about destruction, then proceed to do whatever it takes to destroy whatever they're testing. Anybody got any dynamite? :lol: Just kidding. That Cherry vape has earned itself a Purple Heart. Amazing. Gotta be the toughest vape design ever.

max,

tokinGLX

the all out destruction is what i set out for with the dbv tests.

tom, if youre taking requests and have the necessary tools, hows about a gun test
i was planning on shooting my dbv with a .9mm handgun to see how bulletproof it is or isnt.
(':

tokinGLX,

Purple-Days

Pam's suggestion was a rocket launch. Made me think of Willie Coyote , Acme and the Road Runner.

I started thinking about giant slingshots. Bike innertubes and a forked tree. Big pendulums, swinging into a wall. But that just provides another shock test. Not much point. Same with tossing it in the ocean, salt water won't do anything the fresh stuff didn't do. Strapping it to a propeller blade like they used to do Timex watches? (which are junk now)

Shock tests and drowning - been there, done that.

The crush tests* could be taken up a notch. Maybe a Peterbuilt or Mack? But it's sorta like running over the barrel of a Louisvile Slugger, surface damage.

Too bad they don't show the old cartoons I might get some more ideas.

Dynomite, out of my realm of experience. I'm trying to test a vape, not destroy half of this tiny town.

Mythbusters is a funny show, their safety standards leave a lot of room for , well... I don't want this to be dangerous.

Destructive vs. Destruction

tokinGLX, I believe the DBV would take a 9mm. I really do. But go somewhere safe to try it, and beware of ricochette on that round metal body. Please be safe. Don't even do it. I believe, I believe.

I also have no doubt a .45cal with Hydro-Shocks will absolutely destroy mine. ;)
Not that I would know where to get a cannon like that. Not sure a .45 would do the DBV any good either. But, lets not try.

I'm not really trying to destroy the thing, just make it fail. Destructive to the point of failure.
Just testing my warranty parameters. And having a little fun too.

Fire, axe, gun, dynomite, wood chipper, lightning strike, my dog ate it? Total destruction?
There wouldn't be much point, or much left to send Purple-Days for repair.

* The crush tests, had they been positive, wouldn't leave much after failure either, but I had to show the durability of the solid hardwood chassis and bottom. (BTW test #4 was done twice, first time the cameraman missed it. haha )

Durability was the issue. :)

Does it prove anything? Only to me, I'm the only direct eyewitness to all the events and their chronology. Any photo or film can be faked. Hell, half of Americans believe in flying pie plates. Sure, anything can be rigged, this proves nothing, to anyone but me.

This has been for my education and your entertainment. Lots of fun.

I think now the Cherry test unit will stay plugged in 24/7 as it has been for months on end. It's pretty easy to identify this one now. And no doubt on inspection that it has never been opened. It will run till failure. It will not go onto a shelf for longevity testing. This is going into everyday service.

Anybody getting to the area is welcome to come look at it. From here to the Redwoods in Northern Cali is some of the prettiest coastline you will ever see. Here are a few pictures I've taken of our beautiful local area.
Come Visit ! Just like the page says. Bring friends.
http://purple-days.com/Come_Visit.html
We'll all have lunch at the docks, nice little place to eat. Fresh, deep fried clam strips basket. Wow is it good. Great fish sandwiches too, this is a commercial fishing port.

As always , questions, comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks again for all you interest.

Tom and Pam
The Ourple-Days Team

Purple-Days,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Yeah, the gun test is a little unfair/unnecessary for wood. Please don't assassinate it. :p

I think you've got most of the angles covered. I'd recommend the same test as I did for tokinGLX's thread: Put it in the freezer for an hour. Many of us are vaping in countries that see some cold Winters, so it's a relevant test as well.

When I watched your vids I knew it was only a matter of time until people started questioning their authenticity. You're right, it's in our nature these days. To me, none of them seem too far fetched, and you seem like an honest guy.

At the end of the day, no one is going to subject their vape to this level of abuse anyway, but it's nice to know you don't have to worry about it falling off the table etc.

max said:
Gotta be the toughest vape design ever.
From what we've seen so far, it is. ;)

vtac,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Purple-Days said:
Anybody getting to the area is welcome to come look at it. From here to the Redwoods in Northern Cali is some of the prettiest coastline you will ever see. Here are a few pictures I've taken of our beautiful local area.
Come Visit ! Just like the page says. Bring friends.
http://purple-days.com/Come_Visit.html
We'll all have lunch at the docks, nice little place to eat. Fresh, deep fried clam strips basket. Wow is it good. Great fish sandwiches too, this is a commercial fishing port.
I'm starting to really want to do a vaporizer world tour. :D

Looks like a beautiful place!

vtac,

Purple-Days

Visitors always welcome.

Lost my keyboard to an iced tea incident 5-27 . So it's been a few days since Test #7. Frozen Wasteland...

To follow up, I stuck the cherry unit in the freezer overnight. This was the same evening that the Water Torture and Shock Treatment tests were done. Frozen solid I plugged it in . The LED is in permanent failure mode.

I have since frozen and tested many dry LEDs with a zero fail rate. I am certain the moisture and freezing combined caused the final LED failure.

The unit warmed up just fine and has been making vapor just fine ever since. A bit uglier than it started out, I think I'll keep using it, sorta has a sentimental attachment to it now. :)

Purple-Days,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Cool, so we Northerners can vape away all winter long in our igloos and ice huts. :D Man that thing is a tank-- smashed, drowned and frozen all in one day.

Any idea on how the warm up time was affected after some sub zero temps?

I'm guessing you can replace the water/ice killed LED, or is a pain to get at?

vtac,

Purple-Days

The bottom could be opened with the same 2" Forstner bit that makes the recess for the hardwood bottom disk. A couple of snips and a new LED could be soldered in pretty quick. A new wood bottom and glue on a new leather piece.

Repair would be pretty easy, but not essential in this case. Leaving it intact, as is, for all to see may be best at this point.
This thing is a trophy now. Working fine, just no pilot light.

Warm up from 0 degrees F was a bit longer of course, maybe 5-10 minutes, but I'm just guessing. Had another vape going. Couldn't be too much more.

Yep, it's a tank. That was the idea from the start. Build something that could get knocked around or even dropped off the dining table, or kitchen counter, often. No worries about loose connections etc...
The bottom cavity was designed so things are mechanically solid, nothing can move. I'm proud of that design too, but nobody will see it or even know it's there, but I do. :)

Yeah, I expect it to get dropped to the floor. I'm not going to say "That's not covered". That was a big reason for the destructive testing. Not much someone can do that I haven't already done(within reason).

I didn't design it to be babied in any way. I designed it for us, and that meant it had to be tough enough for everyday use.

This was a fun time, and taught me a lot about our vape.

Purple-Days,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom