Dropped my "cheap high-quality" bubbler and it broke

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I love(d) my big double perc tree bubbler, purchased from DHGate China two or so years ago. It looks, feels, and functions way better than the $37US including shipping. After vaping some too luscious live budder, I put it down on the corner of my work table. When I bent over to throw some wood in the stove--its still been getting down into the 30sF at night here in the mountains--my fat butt bumped the table and the thing came crashing down. It broke where the mouthpiece enters the main body. Fortunately I've got a couple of other bubblers, but they are no where near as nice nor as cooling.

Since it could take months for a new one to arrive from China and the price and mailing have more than doubled the cost, and since I'm not willing to spend big bucks on a comparable US one, I've decided to try to repair it. Discovered that Loctite makes a super glue specifically for glass. None of the local hardware shops or Walmart carries it, so I ordered from Amazon. After it arrives, I will report back on its efficacy. Wondering if anyone else has tried this glue?

howie105

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
"Remember that super glue is generally not food safe."

I don't use the bubbler for edibles:) Nonetheless, thanks for making me think about that.

I'm tending to think that very little glue is likely to be exposed to air or/and dampness on the inside of the joint, particularly if I'm careful applying, now having been forewarned. The temps are not that high there either. The marginal amounts I'm likely to ingest are nothing compared to my many years of smoking cigarettes and dope, living in cities, and being around outdoor power equipment and chemicals. Amazingly in my mid-seventies I'm still biking the hills and lovin' it. My bigger problem is too many dabs! Which is why I need a big bubbler!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
It should also be said that this is why you should always have more than one glass piece.
Because, what are you supposed to do the next day after you break your only piece, while you're waiting for something new?

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Considering you can get a cheap bubbler sent in 24 hours whilst you wait for a better rig to arrive I wouldn't chance any glue to fix something I regularly breathe through unless specifically designed for such a purpose....

But considering the crap I've put in my lungs before getting into vaping I'm in no position to say anything.....

west-elec

It should also be said that this is why you should always have more than one glass piece.
Because, what are you supposed to do the next day after you break your only piece, while you're waiting for something new?
Wise words. My policy is order 3 of any good glass piece that will be a daily, especially true from dhgate where it is cheap enough to consider them consumable. Keep 1 in use 1 clean or in iso and 1 in a draw in case of the inevitable. Then you've still got 2 in rotation while you order your replacement.
I remember an old piece I had, long before dhgate, made in Czechoslovakia back when that was a place and they did cheap glass on the early internet. It was so perfect for me, great angle and perfect chug. Of course it broke in a nothing incident and I have never seen another like it. If only my past self had known about the law of 3.

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
you should look up what happens when you heat up super glue and the chemicals it releases. I was in a similar place a month ago when I broke one of my pieces, use a food safe silicon adhesive, that vapor still carries heat and you don't want to end up in the hospital trying to save a dollar.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Thanks for the suggestions.

The Loctite Glass Glue arrived. The break in the bubbler was almost perfectly clean, just two tiny chips missing in the outside corners of the break. I very carefully applied the glue to the outer edge--the glass is quite thick--of the break with a small paintbrush then held it together. I've let it sit for a few days to cure, and today I pulled it back out. Hard to tell, but I can't see any residue on the inside. I tried to pull it apart but couldn't. In fact if I didn't know it had been broken, I wouldn't be able to find where it was put back together. Sucking and blowing!, no air appears to be escaping or entering from the break. I will be giving it a try.

PS: Been using my SP Globe and SP double perc bubbler. They're nice but being older and having been a cigarette smoker, I like my big double tree perc better for cooling the vapor. Glad its back.

NomDePlumez

RIP to your glass.

I bought a showerhead bubbler that looked sturdy from a local shop and dropped it onto a soft floor within hours of acquiring it and it shattered.

Reminded me why I don't cheap out on my pipes.

Top Bottom