Drip vs flat bottom banger for new dabber?

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Hey folks,

MJ Arsenal has a 20% off sale on their rigs for 4/20, so I’m thinking about buying one as a cheap entry point into dabbing (also looking at some China glass on Reddit that @Shit Snacks pointed out). If I go with MJA, they offer “upgraded” full weld bangers for an extra charge. I don’t really know what this means, so I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me. The two options are a drip or large banger: the drip just seems to have a rounded bottom. Is one “better” than the other or just easier to use somehow? I’ve only ever seen the flat bottoms, so just curious what (if anything beyond aesthetics) the drip might offer.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hey folks,

MJ Arsenal has a 20% off sale on their rigs for 4/20, so I’m thinking about buying one as a cheap entry point into dabbing (also looking at some China glass on Reddit that @Shit Snacks pointed out). If I go with MJA, they offer “upgraded” full weld bangers for an extra charge. I don’t really know what this means, so I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me. The two options are a drip or large banger: the drip just seems to have a rounded bottom. Is one “better” than the other or just easier to use somehow? I’ve only ever seen the flat bottoms, so just curious what (if anything beyond aesthetics) the drip might offer.

I believe rounded bottoms are better for cold start dabs? I don't really do those myself so I'm not sure exactly, I think the rounded bottoms may also be newer, perhaps harder to make? In theory it could be better for melting concentrate evenly, if you are heating the bottom middle?? Sorry I also don't really know what full weld means, hopefully someone does! Yeah I went through the same kind of thing when I was deciding which banger to order from PIU, thankfully they only had a few to choose from, happy with the thermal banger I got, but probably should have gotten the quartz core banger as well! Need a plain one too

gordontreeman

Thanks @Shit Snacks.

For posterity for anyone who finds this thread, as near I can tell from googling/looking at youtube videos, the full weld is a construction method that should in theory imply stronger joints and better longevity. I can't say I found a concrete answer as to what about the construction is different. The round bottom is pretty much exactly as posited above--it helps the concentrate melt down into the bottom for an (in theory) more consistent temp as its melted/vaporized. I ended up going with one, but I don't have any experience just yet so I couldn't tell you if it was the right or wrong move!

Eta: Also good chance this belongs in vapor related equipment. I missed that when I created the thread, but if a mod sees it and wants to move it that would be spiffy.

MegaMan2k

I would recommend a cheap banger for your first banger, just to learn the tech in the first 1-2 weeks.
upgrade when you feel comfortable with dabbing / cleaning the banger without chazzing
i personally prefer Halen Bangers over Evan Shore. And i prefer 30mm over 25mm for better heat retention.

Planetcaravan has good prices on both Evan and Halen, almost always have stock both 25 and 30's with all joint angles and sizes. ( they are on IG you need to contact them in DM for purchasing)

I havnt personally used the round bottoms yet, friend of mine purchased one, but he keeps using the flat bottoms, so ill take that as a sign :p

No weld or welded banger, im pretty sure that referes to if the bucket and stem was made in 2 seperate pieces and then welded together, instead of being made from 1 large piece of quartz. You should def look for the "no-weld"
the bucket can break off from the stem when heating the banger with the cheap welded ones if you are unlucky. (happend to one of my china bangers)

gordontreeman

@MegaMan2k thanks man. I doubt any of the MJA bangers are premium quality as most of their stuff seems to be china quartz (the bangers are at https://mjarsenal.com/collections/experimental-quartz-collection if you're curious). I think it will serve for my first, but good call on not spending til I know wtf I'm doing lol. I did order the round one. Its prolly not too late to send them an e-mail and change that if I want, but from poking around on YT at videos for newbie dabbers I think it will be fine--most of them suggest that the round bottom will either be beneficial for cold starts (not a concern at all) or just help the material flow to the bottom and melt/vaporize more consistently due to having a little more surface area contact. I'll definitely keep Planetcaravan in mind if I outgrow this banger though!

LesPlenty

Company Rep

gordontreeman

Normal joint banger,
View attachment 7032
d1_page_num=1&dspm=pcen.sp.list.7.y7JRqVtQy09MX1zKx2sw&resource_id=411654744&scm_id=search.LIST...NDBADF|0|0.#s1-3-1;searl|1004999534:7
Welded (or worked) joint banger,(I use these as they are easy to qtip into the neck of the joint)
View attachment 7031

Thanks @LesPlenty. I can’t say I know anything about working with glass, but it looks like the first was made in two pieces and put together however glass is made into one piece while the second was a single piece or something? Near as I can tell from reading the full weld construction is supposed to offer better durability.

Also damn @MegaMan2k those Halen/Evan Shore Banger's are works of art-- https://smallwerldglass.com/bangers/backcountry-banger-trippy/. Will definitely wait until I have a more informed opinion/ability to use before I ruin something like that--its too beautiful for me to even want to use 0.o

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Normal joint banger,
View attachment 7032
d1_page_num=1&dspm=pcen.sp.list.7.y7JRqVtQy09MX1zKx2sw&resource_id=411654744&scm_id=search.LIST...NDBADF|0|0.#s1-3-1;searl|1004999534:7
Welded (or worked) joint banger,(I use these as they are easy to qtip into the neck of the joint)
View attachment 7031

I would call that a shitty cheap welded joint at the top, vs a more properly welded joint at the bottom.
Of course the type of glass matters as well.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
For the lack of (finding) a better thread to post in:

Anyone ever use or know anything about this style of round-bottom banger (don't like the non-gg attachment... :disgust:)?

IMG_2363_5000x.jpg
Looks like it could be worth trying with a coil (and pearl), maybe, or something similar that's better...?:

Last edited:
Top Bottom