Dr. Mathew Hill: How Cannabis Impacts Health & the Potential Risk (Andrew Huberman podcast)

florduh

A while back there was a Huberman video posted about the "Dangers of Vaping Cannabis". If I'm recalling correctly, more than once this guy would make extremely definitive statements about "the science". But when you looked at the actual studies he was referencing, he was misrepresenting what the studies said.

While I had seen ads for this guy all over the internet, I had never really looked into him. After that post I thought "this dude is at least a little bit of a huckster".
Do you have any key takeaways from the podcast? It's almost 4 hours long. Maybe he changed his tune a bit :shrug:

florduh,
Reactions: Octavia

Varden

A while back there was a Huberman video posted about the "Dangers of Vaping Cannabis". If I'm recalling correctly, more than once this guy would make extremely definitive statements about "the science". But when you looked at the actual studies he was referencing, he was misrepresenting what the studies said.

While I had seen ads for this guy all over the internet, I had never really looked into him. After that post I thought "this dude is at least a little bit of a huckster".
Do you have any key takeaways from the podcast? It's almost 4 hours long. Maybe he changed his tune a bit :shrug:
Dr Mathew Hill saw the video you are referencing and started a conversation on twitter challenging some of the things Uberman had said on that video. After a bit of back and forth, Uberman decided to bring Dr Hill to his podcast to interview him.

This new video is more about Dr Mathew Hill explaining the cannabis science and Uberman just acting as a host. I'm only half way in, but I'm finding it extremely interesting.

florduh

I believe @florduh was referring to Huberman who is a well-known grifter and con man: https://slate.com/technology/2024/03/andrew-huberman-huberman-lab-health-advice-podcast-debunk.html

You've assumed correctly. I wasn't commenting on Dr. Hill at all. I've never heard of him. Because it seems he is a legitimate scientist and not a marketer.

Like I said, I was neutral on Huberman before seeing the post here. I watched the video and Googled each study he used to make his proclamations. When I saw he was misrepresenting what the authors actually wrote, I put this guy in the flim-flam man category.

Edit: holy shit, going through the Slate article now. It exactly matches my experience with this guy. Actual scientists would say "here's an interesting result that warrants further study". Huberman would lie and say "scientists have declared this result is now an Iron Law of Science". Fuck this guy.

Dr Mathew Hill saw the video you are referencing and started a conversation on twitter challenging some of the things Uberman had said on that video. After a bit of back and forth, Uberman decided to bring Dr Hill to his podcast to interview him.

This new video is more about Dr Mathew Hill explaining the cannabis science and Uberman just acting as a host. I'm only half way in, but I'm finding it extremely interesting.

See that's much more interesting. Like @AssistedLiving said Hill is a legit scientist.

Part of the problem is, until recently scientists have legally been prevented from doing serious research. Most of what I've seen are longitudinal studies. While those can be useful, it's very hard to separate cannabis use out from other confounding factors.

AssistedLiving

See that's much more interesting. Like @AssistedLiving said Hill is a legit scientist.

I never implied he was a legit scientist, in fact it's very unusual for someone teaching cell biology and speaking of the biological effects of cannabis on the brain, to have a PhD in Philosophy, and most people with a PhD in Philosophy don't call themselves "doctor"

florduh

I never implied he was a legit scientist, in fact it's very unusual for someone teaching cell biology and speaking of the biological effects of cannabis on the brain, to have a PhD in Philosophy, and most people with a PhD in Philosophy don't call themselves "doctor"

My apologies. To be fair, I don't know if he goes around calling himself "doctor". Huberman did and I did.

I don't think his PhD is in philosophy. From what I can tell he describes himself as a neuroscientist who specifically studies cannabis and the brain. From what I can tell he's also fairly positive on cannabis use.

I forgot a while back I saw the Tweet of his that launched this whole thing, because it was in my browser history:

Frankly, just this alone kind of makes me like the guy :rofl:

I can't listen to the whole interview now, and frankly I find Huberman odious. But I listened to the section on vaping. He specifically mentions dry herb vaping as a relatively safe ROA. I also listened to the health risk section. He's very fair and isn't spreading FUD.

I'll also say, unlike Huberman, he TALKS like a scientist. He doesn't make definitive declarations and is honest about the limits of current research.

EverythingsHazy

I initially thought Huberman was more credible than I do now. His cannabis claims helped make that clear.

This new video with this cannabis scientist seems much better, since he's not lecturing about things he doesn't understand.

Varden

I initially thought Huberman was more credible than I do now. His cannabis claims helped make that clear.

This new video with this cannabis scientist seems much better, since he's not lecturing about things he doesn't understand.
I agree. I reached exactly the same conclusion.

Varden,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

I forgot that I meant to watch the rest of this video. I wish someone else was interviewing Hill, because he seems like an interesting guy. But I can't stand Huberman.

It's also kind of uncomfortable to watch because this whole thing only came about after Hill publicly called Huberman a dummy.

Top Bottom