Does vaporizer really lower your smoking cost a lot?

JeffVapo

hello.

I'm a vaporizer since 2 months and very happy to be!
I use an easy vape. it was supposed to lower my smoking cost up to 80%. But last month, I vaporized a whole once of weed. not rly economic to me ;/. looks like I'm vaporizing as much as I was smoking. only differences would be the ABV left.

What about you guys?

modnote: Moved. Question threads belong in Ask FC.

JeffVapo,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
When I first started vaping a couple of months ago, I found myself going through more herb than before. I don't know if it was the difference in the high or if it was the newness of the experience (I felt I needed alot of practice ;) ). Things have simmered down a bit now, I will say that my whip style vape goes through a lot more herb than my LB or MZ. I've found that daily use with the MZ has noticeably cut down my consumption.

momofthegoons,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
+1 to what MOTG said. My MZ is VERY efficient and does the trick, but the Supreme is a little more 'use heavy'

Both leave me ABV which really helps with pain when I make a tincture :)

AGBeer,

Beezleb

I have spoken on it lots of times, not everyone will achieve these usage reductions. I used approximately the same I have always did. Two people who I know who recreational use I seen yesterday both told me they use the same as well. Though they are heavy users and just switched.

I do achieve more out of my stash but for my usage style I just get higher rather than saving anything. The easy vape has a larger wand/bowl size and is more difficult in my view to save with that model. You can try this, load smaller amounts. The session will likely not be as fulfilling with little visible vapor compared to a normal filled wand due to a higher air to vapor ratio than you may like but it will still get you where you want to be but is not nearly as fun or as satisfying getting their in my view.

To obtain efficiency in vaporizing I recommend that you look at the issue larger than just how much you are using. I recommend saving your abv for further processing. Some people cook with it, some people make swamp water/golden dragon and some people just light it up (very nasty to smoke it). The lighter you vape the more strength in abv will be left.

Some people will measure out session amounts and just stick to using that amount. Some people simply require smaller amounts to achieve effect. Some people like different effects with some stronger or some weaker than others. Some people just want to get blasted. The list goes on and on. If you are seeing people claim they achieve great saving vaporizing I suggest to you that you look at that persons vaping style, what they use and see if it comparable to your use.

Their are so many personal preferences, styles, experience, and whatnot that I always caution people who think they will find "cost savings" but their is efficiency in vaporizing but I see it as more of a question of how you use it. For me, I vape similar amounts to when I smoked it and reuse my abv. I also added a 4 piece grinder and make pressed hash but this can be achieved without a vaporizer but it goes into my view point of treating the entire process rather than just one part to view efficiency in vaporizing as I see that the bigger saver than simply being dependent upon a model of vaporizer which is only a tool/appliance.

With that said, some vaporizers are designed to use smaller amounts but the catch is in order to achieve the savings you have to be able to stop after a bowl or two, after that your in the same range of usage as a box/wand vape.

Their are lots of people who achieve costs saving in vaporizing. Keep in mind though, its not all about the savings for many. It is a cleaner healthier process than smoking and one that has benefited a lot of people. I hope you find your vaping groove so to speak. I recommend first in seeing if you can use a smaller wand with the easy vape. 7th floor makes wands that will fit some other vapes but I am unsure if they will work with the easy vape. Regardless I think if you concentrate on finding a smaller wand and using your abv you will realize more distance with your stash.

Here are some links that might get you started on the path of reusing abv if your not already. Their are other threads as well.

Here is short thread on overall efficiency in vaporizing

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1577

Swampwater/golden dragon thread

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1564

vapor brownies
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=9

Beezleb,

lwien

Yup. It cut my MJ consumption down by over 50% from when I was smoking. Could be closer to 75%.

From everything that I have read regarding this question, most will realize a savings. Some will not.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I think it depends on what vaporizer I am using. Some vaporizers I tend to load more than I usually would use in an average sitting. Some months I conserve, others I use way more than I am used to.
Recently acquired several new vaporizers, so my usage has gone up as I have taken time with each one to figure out how to use them and familiarize myself with them.
But after I get used to them, and get myself set up in a usage pattern I expect my current usage patterns to once again lower.

DevoTheStrange,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
When making the transition to vaping or when you get a new 'toy' I think one may tend to consume more.

If I use my PD or LB I use much less herb than I used to. If I break out the SSV or start filling a lit of IO bowls I can go through more herb.

If I needed to conserve I would stick to my PD & LB to stretch the stash.

Lo,

max

Out to lunch
Most people report that they use less with a vape, but some (I was one) find it easier on the lungs, or just enjoy vaping more than smoking, and use more, at least initially. Vaporizing does extract more efficiently vs. smoke, but not extremely so.

it was supposed to lower my smoking cost up to 80%.
Don't know where you got that figure, but I think it's ridiculous. You could certainly use 80% less, but to say you're getting as high, as often, while using 80% less, just doesn't compute.

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
If you take a pinch of bud and put it in a pipe you will get one hit, maybe two.
If you take that same pinch and put it in a Purple Days you will get about four or five hits, and good hits at that.
Then you can collect your spent bud and use it for brownies later on when you have about 1/2 cup's worth.
So with that particular vaporizer for me it's very accurate to say that I gain about 50 percent in efficiency at a minimum, not even factoring in
the brownies bonus.

With a whip vape like the Easy Vape, etc., it will be less efficient but still more efficient than smoking. Also remember to stir your bud in the wand when you think it's spent - there's a few more hits there.

If you want to learn how to use your whip vape most efficiently and for best results check out tokinGLX's videos using the Silver Surfer, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKjvlwuG4O4

jeffp,

jumpoff_the_planet

Im not saying this is a fact, but I remember reading either here or somewhere else that 12% of every combusted hit is THC, whereas 92% of every vapor hit is THC.

I have been vaporizing for a year and a half and I have always thought that I get three times the high from the same amount compared to combustion.

It is sort of my rule of thumb that the amount that would get one person high smoking will get 3 people high vaping. :2c:

jumpoff_the_planet,

lwien

jumpoff_the_planet said:
I have been vaporizing for a year and a half and I have always thought that I get three times the high from the same amount compared to combustion.
That's been my experience as well.

lwien,

Frickr

its all mood dependant for me. some days, a small amount gets me where i want to be, other days i go through alot to get where i want to be. in the wash though, i feel my usage has gone down. i usually burn a 8th in 4 days, while vaping (with the pd) i can go 7 days. so almost 2 times as efficiant on my usage. while when i use my surfer, i am back to the same i was burning with a regular bowl.

i think it comes down more to the style of vape more then anything. a smaller vape is going to force you to use smaller amounts and vice versa. just like a pinchy your going to make your stash last longer then loading half gram bowls all the time. same concept.

Frickr,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
It's hard for me to compare to smoking, since from 1984-1994 I would try to get it over with as quickly as possible because I didn't enjoy it. It was simply too harsh. Then when I started smoking ciggy's in 1994 I began mixing weed with tobacco and I could tolerate the harshness, but smoked too sporadically to say that I consumed X amount in Y number of days. I consumed small amounts until I pretty much stopped 2000 or so. Mid 2009 I started up again, realized I was deriving tangible benefits from smoking, and searched for 'vaporizer' in google. Got my Iolite in Dec/09 and started at ~0.2g/day. That held constant until Jan/10 when I bought an Extreme and my usage rose to about 0.4g/day and then falling back down to 0.2. Again constant until I bought a Magic Flight Launch Box at which point I started using ~0.5g/day and am holding constant.

I could easily push more hits out of my weed, but I like giving my ABV to my girlfriend so she'll use that instead of tobacco in spliffs.

So is vaping saving me anything? No, not that I am aware of. Because I am vaping more now than I ever was smoking. But is vaping saving me in comparison to what I would be using if I was smoking 4-5 times a day? Quite likely. When I smoked I would roll pin joints of about 0.2 g, light it, take one or two puffs and but it out. Repeat every few hours or so. Incredibly inefficient.

Now I can load 0.1g into the LB, hit it once or twice, remove the battery and then come back to it in 2 hours and repeat, with little or no waste.

Yeah, I would say it can lower your smoking cost, not that it necessarily will.

Tom

tdavie,

steiner666

Serial vapist
the amount i go through a week has gone down a little, but amount of hours i spend in the clouds has definitely gone up. I used to only smoke once a day and be good for a couple hours tops, now i vape 3x a day and feel pretty good for whats usually a majority of my waking hours.

I do agree that certain vapes are just more efficient than others. Usually the ones with the smaller bowls.

The other thing to do is make sure you're vaping everything thoroughly, no green in your ABV, all brown. Vaping at higher temps and/or grinding herb finer can give you more hits out of what you might think was spent.

steiner666,

JeffVapo

Thanks a lot, it's very appreciated, lot of good answers here!

Mixing my ABV with my fresh weed would solve the problem of my "big" wand I think. whats ur opinion on this? some do that too here?

JeffVapo,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I enjoy vaporizing so much more then i enjoyed smoking, and because its easiar on the lungs sometime find myself packing lots and lots of stems/bowls. But, i am way more high, and am high all day. :)

IAmKrazy2,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
In my experience.

With the PD, yes, easily.

With the SSV or Supreme, no.. in fact I consume more just because its just so goddamn enjoyable.

Chubba,
Top Bottom