Does cannabis use lead to more or fewer psychoses? Science is just not clear on that.

186°

(I renamed the thread. The first version should imitate click bait, wasn't happy with it)

from a famous german talk show:

Dr. Guest*: “There are some beautiful studies that show that if young people between the ages of 15 and 16 smoke weed just five times, they have a three-fold increased risk of developing psychosis by the age of 30.”

Host: (asks with interest) “How much? A…”

Dr. Guest: “A threefold increased risk.”

Host: “Three times higher!”

Dr. Guest: (nods meaningfully) 😢

Host: “And you don’t want that. That’s catastrophic. Because of five times!” 😱

No, of course we don't want that... 🙄

So, let's say, someone around you claims that the use of cannabis leads to a high(er) risk of psychosis. You, much like me, would like to know whether this is really true. You want to know what the science says but on the one hand you don't have the expertise in this field to check by yourself and on the other hand you are, honestly said, deeply biased in the hope that the psychosis claim isn't true. I got you covered! Or better said not me, but a blog post by a professor who took the scaremongering on a TV show as an opportunity to take a closer look at the state of science and comments on the reliability of the data and significance of the studies.

Here's the link to the blog post: https://scilogs.spektrum.de/mensche...a-grassnickel-und-markus-lanz-im-faktencheck/
It is in german. Worth a read anyway and way shorter than the cited scientific articles + some really nice comments. Just use your browser to translate it; I checked the translation side by side and it was an almost nicer read than the german version ;)
Don't skip the introductory part where he describes the scene in the TV show. It is a somehow funny beginning and just a typical example of someone misinterpreting scientific conclusions regarding cannabis to mislead a public debate.

In short/tldr:

What? The science isn't clear on the question whether cannabis increases the risks of psychosis. It just ins't clear (at the moment).

Who said that? I got this from a blog post by Stephan Schleim. Associate Professor for theory and history of psychology at University Groningen (Netherlands).

Where is it published? It's a long running blog about popular scientific topics on https://scilogs.spektrum.de, which belongs to Spektrum science magazine which belongs to Springer Nature publishing group, publisher of many high ranking scientific journals, like, you know, "Nature". However, it is a blog post, not a peer-reviewed paper.

How does he know?
He's not an expert on this specific topic. His scientific work seems to be a lot about how science works and how knowledge is presented and generated (that's what makes his perspective so interesting IMO). In this case he looked closer at two "beautiful" Scandinavian studies which were wrongly cited in a TV show and turn out to be not so beautiful after all regarding the claims made in the TV show. But mostly his conclusion is based on a review paper of 2019:
Farris, M.S., Shakeel, M.K. & Addington, J. Cannabis use in individuals at clinical high-risk for psychosis: a comprehensive review. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 55, 527–537 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-019-01810-x
This is the real peer-reviewed scientific overview – not just a blog post. For Details. You can cite it.

Objective of the Farris et al. study:
Review to understand prevalence of cannabis use and how it is associated "with transition to psychosis, symptoms, cognition, trauma and family history in clinical high risk (CHR) for psychosis individuals."

The review concludes:
"However, cannabis use has not been thoroughly researched regarding frequency and dose of use, and how other factors, such as symptoms, are associated with cannabis in CHR individuals."

Stephan Schleim's conclusion with focus on political decision making:
"To conclude our study with a sensible thought: In a discussion like this, legalization should not be compared with the utopia (or rather dystopia?) of abstinence. Rather, the current situation must be used for comparison. The correct question is therefore not whether cannabis consumption increases the risk of psychosis; the correct question is only whether (partial) legalization leads to more or fewer psychoses. The studies cited here say nothing about this."

*on a sidenote: As if the reality presented in TV wasn't absurd enough the guest's name is Dr. Graßnickel which basically translates to Dr. Weednickel :leaf: :2c:. She is now head physician at a private clinic for psychiatry, psychotherapy and psychosomatics. Her focus is on psychiatry and addiction medicine.

Last edited:

fangorn

(I renamed the thread. The first version should imitate click bait, wasn't happy with it)

from a famous german talk show:

Dr. Guest*: “There are some beautiful studies that show that if young people between the ages of 15 and 16 smoke weed just five times, they have a three-fold increased risk of developing psychosis by the age of 30.”

Host: (asks with interest) “How much? A…”

Dr. Guest: “A threefold increased risk.”

Host: “Three times higher!”

Dr. Guest: (nods meaningfully) 😢

Host: “And you don’t want that. That’s catastrophic. Because of five times!” 😱

No, of course we don't want that... 🙄

So, let's say, someone around you claims that the use of cannabis leads to a high(er) risk of psychosis. You, much like me, would like to know whether this is really true. You want to know what the science says but on the one hand you don't have the expertise in this field to check by yourself and on the other hand you are, honestly said, deeply biased in the hope that the psychosis claim isn't true. I got you covered! Or better said not me, but a blog post by a professor who took the scaremongering on a TV show as an opportunity to take a closer look at the state of science and comments on the reliability of the data and significance of the studies.

Here's the link to the blog post: https://scilogs.spektrum.de/mensche...a-grassnickel-und-markus-lanz-im-faktencheck/
It is in german. Worth a read anyway and way shorter than the cited scientific articles + some really nice comments. Just use your browser to translate it; I checked the translation side by side and it was an almost nicer read than the german version ;)
Don't skip the introductory part where he describes the scene in the TV show. It is a somehow funny beginning and just a typical example of someone misinterpreting scientific conclusions regarding cannabis to mislead a public debate.

In short/tldr:

What? The science isn't clear on the question whether cannabis increases the risks of psychosis. It just ins't clear (at the moment).

Who said that? I got this from a blog post by Stephan Schleim. Associate Professor for theory and history of psychology at University Groningen (Netherlands).

Where is it published? It's a long running blog about popular scientific topics on https://scilogs.spektrum.de, which belongs to Spektrum science magazine which belongs to Springer Nature publishing group, publisher of many high ranking scientific journals, like, you know, "Nature". However, it is a blog post, not a peer-reviewed paper.

How does he know?
He's not an expert on this specific topic. His scientific work seems to be a lot about how science works and how knowledge is presented and generated (that's what makes his perspective so interesting IMO). In this case he looked closer at two "beautiful" Scandinavian studies which were wrongly cited in a TV show and turn out to be not so beautiful after all regarding the claims made in the TV show. But mostly his conclusion is based on a review paper of 2019:
Farris, M.S., Shakeel, M.K. & Addington, J. Cannabis use in individuals at clinical high-risk for psychosis: a comprehensive review. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 55, 527–537 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-019-01810-x
This is the real peer-reviewed scientific overview – not just a blog post. For Details. You can cite it.

Objective of the Farris et al. study:
Review to understand prevalence of cannabis use and how it is associated "with transition to psychosis, symptoms, cognition, trauma and family history in clinical high risk (CHR) for psychosis individuals."

The review concludes:
"However, cannabis use has not been thoroughly researched regarding frequency and dose of use, and how other factors, such as symptoms, are associated with cannabis in CHR individuals."

Stephan Schleim's conclusion with focus on political decision making:
"To conclude our study with a sensible thought: In a discussion like this, legalization should not be compared with the utopia (or rather dystopia?) of abstinence. Rather, the current situation must be used for comparison. The correct question is therefore not whether cannabis consumption increases the risk of psychosis; the correct question is only whether (partial) legalization leads to more or fewer psychoses. The studies cited here say nothing about this."

*on a sidenote: As if the reality presented in TV wasn't absurd enough the guest's name is Dr. Graßnickel which basically translates to Dr. Weednickel :leaf: :2c:. She is now head physician at a private clinic for psychiatry, psychotherapy and psychosomatics. Her focus is on psychiatry and addiction medicine.

hey!

I'm not a doctor, and I haven't read the articles you cite...

but I am an educator and I have worked with psychotic people, some of whom have “decompensated”.

What is certain is that people who decompensate have a basic psychological fragility. it is likely that they would have decompensated at another time, if she had not consumed cannabis.

Cannabis can be a trigger because you can have a distressing experience while using it. you can have a "bad trip" or live an experience more or less tinged with paranoia... this is true for hallucinogenic mushrooms, LSD, and many other molecules...
but a bereavement (of someone or something) can be a trigger, a separation, a shamanic experience, time in the army, becoming a father, etc.

This is all the more true since fragile people are even more fragile during adolescence and early adulthood. and this is also where many people experiment with cannabis.
I think this is also why cannabis is associated with psychosis.

I have always stayed away from drugs other than cannabis... for fear of remaining "high"...

Roughly speaking, fragility is present but in latency. this is waiting for a trigger. Cannabis consumption, and in particular a negative experience, can weaken you even more and promote a psychotic crisis.

here is my professional experience... so for me cannabis does not create psychosis, but it can be a trigger or contributor.

budski

cantre member
purely anecdotal; cannabis resins have been keeping my fragile personality glued together w/out killing anybody for 50yrs, starting as a teen.
the rapist's idea of problematic dosage is whacked, therapist just wants their $500 an hour.

Last edited:

srpuffalot

Thank you for sharing this🙏😀
I have been yelling about studies in this area for a lot of years. Has been founded by biased big companies who have interest in other means off healing 🤔
I am quite frankly tired of people being lied to🤨

186°

To be clear, my intention is not to say cannabis is harmless. I'm just tired of hearing so-called experts arguing that their opinion is only based on what scientific studies found out and then referring to studies that do not even exist or cite them wrong or completely misrepresent results. There is just so much misinformation out there in the name of science.

To be fair, it is really really hard to come up with a study design that reliably finds an answer to this question, even if cannabis contributes significantly to a higher risks of psychoses. Stephan Schleim mentions this, too. But to say science proofs that cannabis (legalization) leads to more psychoses is just not correct, just not tenable at this point. As @fangorn points out, there are people who experienced a clear connection between their consumption and a psychosis. Reports on this do exist. We should take that seriously. But the overall numbers from the studies also show us, there is no need to panic about it.

Personally, I'm better save than sorry and health-conscience, so I always had put even the exaggerated risks into account, when I was reflecting on my consumption. I would say, it is very likely that a combined consumption of cannabis and alcohol increases the risk considerably. That is one thing I would recommend to look into. I would even say it publicly to warn minors, for example. But this is my personal assumption. I don't go into talk shows and misrepresent it as scientific results (and thus basically lie to millions of people) and then become head of a clinic two weeks later.

Last edited:

srpuffalot

I could not agree more the misinformation that's being spread on social media and among many such sites, these days is crazy.
I actually deleted all my accounts recently fb, ig, Reddit because there was to much nonsense!
For me anyway😀
And I haven't looked back. Life is waaaaay simpler with only a few like fc

186°

I could not agree more the misinformation that's being spread on social media and among many such sites, these days is crazy.
I actually deleted all my accounts recently fb, ig, Reddit because there was to much nonsense!
For me anyway😀
And I haven't looked back. Life is waaaaay simpler with only a few like fc
well well, life is also waaaaay simpler if your opinions don't get challenged any more by people outside of your bubble ;). But I'm sure you're right, I also don't really use social media.

To be clear: The example from above is not from social media. No facebook fake news or so. It is from a classic tv talk show. One of the most viewed in Germany. Public services television. ZDF. Those who want to set high standards. Prime time. Millions of viewers. And the misinformation was spread by a serious women with a medical Dr degree who is responsible for patients. It is just really really hard to stay informed. And I wanted that information. Stephan Schleim provided it (for me). And I'm just happily sharing :tup:

Last edited:

spruce

The thing a lot of people gloss over is just how many factors are IN weed. Two totally different strains are going to totally different in effects, even if THC is the same in both. The synergy with terpenes, cannabinoids, and where you are at in your life make it impossible to replicate the same effects between folks.

I have to stay responsible with my consumption because I have suffered psychosis a couple times in the past few years. Type 1 Cannabis WILL show you everything in you at some point. It can a very self reflective substance and if you're barely holding it together and have a lot of shit you haven't dealt with you may end up be thinking about it non stop and putting yourself in a very bad place. I've had experiences on edibles that were absolute hell but once you come down you kinda just push it down with all that shit you were trying to not think about. My wife still struggles with THC but we both share in the feeling of hoping the sesh will be different. Then it's bad again but you forget when you come down and the cycle continues. Once you have an awful experience with THC it takes a bit to break it. I think that's why there's a lot of folks out there who try some strong ass shit with a friend and then swear off anything cannabis related, completely missing the awesome and far safer uses of hemp flower.

Personally I think there needs to be a lot more discussion about negative effects of cannabis but it's hard to do knowing that it could be used as ammo against legalization. Stoners tends to just want to talk about getting high as balls and that's it, and I think we need not just more medical discussion but more spiritual discussion too on it.

katabatic

This is the single most cited article regarding the cannabis/psychosis relationship. Pretty much every study on this refers to it, and it actually comes up with a lot of the same conclusions, such as "On an individual level, cannabis use confers an overall twofold increase in the relative risk for later schizophrenia". Like 186 said, this also fails to address a question of whether legalization has any correlation with these perceived increases, though that may be more of a sociology or maybe even economic study, rather than psychology. I think one of the issues with this also is the lack of research on a specific mechanism for cannabis to actually cause psychosis, the study literally says "Cannabis use appears to be neither a sufficient nor a necessary cause for psychosis. It is a component cause, part of a complex constellation of factors leading to psychosis." While you can survey sample populations and try to draw trends, I don't know if they can sufficiently separate the vast amount of other stuff that happens in people's lives between survey times. Like people aren't lab rats that can be kept in a controlled environment for the entirety of the study.

But I guess that doesn't make for a great headline lol

Rodney

<<<<<<<<< weed causes people to go crazy as they love the feeling then use more and more and more until they are not the same person..

just keep in under control unlike myself and most here and you should be ok.

If you start buying loads of vapes take that as a sign that psychosis is on the horizon, if not next week next year but it will happen.

I love it

Top Bottom