Does Bing hate FC?

Alligator427

I notice that Qwant that use Bing, and Bing also stoped since 2-3 days to give the adress of fuckcombustion website when we search "fuckcombustion". Error or censor against cannabis community ?

Alligator427,
Reactions: Octavia

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
I notice that Qwant that use Bing, and Bing also stoped since 2-3 days to give the adress of fuckcombustion website when we search "fuckcombustion". Error or censor against cannabis community ?
Same thing happened with the vapman rebrand, can’t find their site via any bing powered search either (I use duckduckgo). Turning off safe search doesn’t work either, so potentially censorship, could also be this site needs to update its SEO, bing has judged content to be “low quality”, or has detected malware on the server

Last edited:

buford

Serious question: why would anyone use Bing? Does it offer something better than google (which i use very seldom) or Duck Duck Go (which is use daily)?

I tend to assume anything from Microsoft is going to, at best, suck, and avoid their products whenever possible.

buford,

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Serious question: why would anyone use Bing? Does it offer something better than google (which i use very seldom) or Duck Duck Go (which is use daily)?
Duckduckgo and Qwant are basically wrappers around Bing’s search provider, kinda like how the web browsers Edge, Brave and Chrome all use the Chromium engine or any browser on an iPhone/iPad uses Safari. Not sure of any particular reason to use plain Bing except for if you don’t know how to change providers.

Octavia,

Radwin Bodnic

Duckduckgo and Qwant are basically wrappers around Bing’s search provider, kinda like how the web browsers Edge, Brave and Chrome all use the Chromium engine or any browser on an iPhone/iPad uses Safari. Not sure of any particular reason to use plain Bing except for if you don’t know how to change providers.
except DuckDuckGo accepts the "bangs" that allows you to narrow your search or make a search directly on (most) websites directly from the search engine.
(!g for encrypted google search, !gi for google image, !translate will translate automatically your query, !a for a search on Amazon, and so on...)

Radwin Bodnic,

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
except DuckDuckGo accepts the "bangs" that allows you to narrow your search or make a search directly on (most) websites directly from the search engine.
(!g for encrypted google search, !gi for google image, !translate will translate automatically your query, !a for a search on Amazon, and so on...)
That’s handy at least, but those are just redirects to search on the specific site (eg !g takes you to google) rather than the engine that DDG uses. Does give DDG an edge over vanilla Bing though.

Also looks like I was at least partially mistaken about the search provider. They do use Bing as one of their major sources, but they also claim to use results from basically all other non google search providers for their results (yahoo, wolfram alpha, their own scraper, etc). I’d assume Bing is the largest provider, but I have never really done side by side tests to see how or if the results differ between the 2 search engines. Sounds like Qwant is in a similar boat where they started as a wrapper over Bing that then started adding their own crawlers to supplement Bing’s data.

maremaresing

Bing searches FC just fine for me. My experience is that bing doesn't censor like Google does.

I tend to assume anything from Microsoft is going to, at best, suck, and avoid their products whenever possible.

Not a fan of the ddg ui and services, but bing's vastly better than Google and has been for a long time. Google has been hindering their search results both to insert more adds, and to force more searches for the same thing. This is a known and documented thing. Also, when Google noticed users were simply adding "reddit" to the searches to actually bring up good results, they combated it by purchasing a monopoly on results from reddit. That's why recent posts don't show in other search engines.

When I switched to bing I got far more relevant images on searches, as well as found it has a better UI/UX overall. It's like google used to be, basically. I'll never go back.

Google forgot that we are free to just switch to another search engine, like people did from Yahoo to Google in the first place.

maremaresing,
  • Love

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Bing searches FC just fine for me. My experience is that bing doesn't censor like Google does.
Oh good, just double checked after your post and FC is back to being searchable in both Bing and DDG! Wonder what happened between Sunday and now that got FC delisted then relisted.

When I checked Tuesday night/Wednesday morning with the query “site:https://fuckcombustion.com” I’d get 0 results, but doing the same for reddit or google would return the single expected result.

Octavia,
Top Bottom