Do you think a circuit designed for 2S (Ghost MV1) can handle 12 V?

badbee

I would love the opinion of the electronics types on here: @Pipes , @TommyDee, @RustyOldNail , @RedEyeFlightControl , @mr_cfromcali .

Please give me your best guess answer to this question: Is it probable that a circuit designed to handle battery power of 6.4 to 8.4 V is using components that will be fine all the way up to 12 V input? Where in the circuit would that 12 V input be most likely to cause issues? Waste heat off the PWM? Overdrive and kill the LEDs because their resistors aren't big enough for a 12 V source? Inaccurate thermal sensor readings or overdriven heating coil? Is there any way to determine if it is safe with minimal risk of burning out the MV1?

Pictures of the MV1 PCB are in post #5844 (not mine) here: https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ghost-mv1.25299/page-234

While playing with a home built voltage regulator for my Ghost I realized I was feeding it significantly more than 8.4 V, closer to 10.5 V. That voltage sagged about 1 V when the heater turned on so there was less stress while it heated. Normally overvoltage would be a big oops but nothing bad happened. I'm reluctant to apply the full 12 V but wondering if it would be harmless. The design allows for variable input voltage, how large is that acceptable input likely to be?

badbee,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
The little charge board - definitely not. That will be made for 2S. The main processor board will have a voltage regulator device somewhere. If this higher voltage is within the range of regulator, you might be good. See what else may be on the unregulated power path.

TommyDee,

badbee

I'm trying to identify the ICs but I'm not recognizing a voltage regulator, just the main power mosfet . There is an 8 pin IC with what looks like "OT 33" on it but I'm not finding datasheets for that. I can't see the other side of the PCB as it seems to be soldered into place.

badbee,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
The regulation could be on the charger board. Something has to cut the voltage to 5V/3.3V before the IC.
The large 8-pin IC is probably the main power FET for the coil. The smaller 8-pin IC is a package I normally see in cell protection circuits.
This could well be a 'mindless' board... meaning it is mostly unregulated and the devices meet the limit of 2S. Tough call if that's the case.

Last edited:
TommyDee,

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
If you decide just to chance it, keep in mind it may work for a week or some, but might eventually fry.

I had a few experiences with shady wall warts putting out 16v when it should have been 12v and frying stuff.

scy123,

badbee

If you decide just to chance it, keep in mind it may work for a week or some, but might eventually fry.

Yeah, that's why I didn't continue. It's just so tempting because it might be harmless. So hard to tell without knowing the full specs of the circuit.

badbee,
Top Bottom