Do you like spiders?

keepsake

Soul Searchin`
Would you happen to know what kind of spider this is?
I'm afraid of finding it in my glass lol.

922684_327873084006858_1080285833_n.jpg

djonkoman

they may eat pests, but these kind of spiders should have a bigger appetite... I almost always have atleast one somewhere in my room(well, not exactly the same kind, they do have the long legs but a smaller, more round body wich is just plain grey/black)
in summer I also ocassionally have other kinds of spiders indoor, but these are the only kind that survive the entire winter, probably because they neede to eat little, as I rarely see them catch anything. only occassionally in summer a fly gets caught in one of their webs and will buzz so annoyingly I have to kill the fly because the spider isn't quick enough

djonkoman,

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
kinda looks like a pholcid house spider to me. the term daddy long legs has a few common meanings, but where i'm from it's a harvestman, which isn't a spider

vaporonly,
Reactions: Planck

chimpybits

Eno contemplating spider consciousness. Such a beautiful end to his rock phase.

chimpybits,
It's a spider therefore it must die,period. You never see them catch anything? Imagine what those bastards are doing while you sleep! It's a hairless breed,probably for increased aerodynamics. Probably a high-speed feeder,very aggressive and intelligent. Get a can of WD-40 and a lighter,drive them out. They fear flame and that's the only hope we have.
6db068b78791d046c34e07c01ac4c449_zps7b90f739.jpg

Meremoth

AKA ♫ Stinky Wizzleteats ♫
Looks like a Daddy Long Legs :spidey:

They always have those colored nodes on their leg segments

I've never seen granddaddy long-legs have that spherical thing on top of their bodies like that one does in keepsake's picture. WTF is that thing anyway? Looks like a miniature pearl.

Anyway, I found a spider in my sink once that was bright red, like cardinal red. The whole thing was red, even it's legs.

I use to think spiders weren't too bad since they kill other pests, but after hearing of people losing their limbs to necrosis from spiders that aren't even consider lethal, anytime I see a spider now, if I can't get it safely outdoors then it's sayonara to Charlotte and her web. Not to mention I sometimes get paranoid when I see I spider and don't get rid of it, thinking it's going to get me while I'm sleeping.

However, I actually have a conscience when it comes to kill insects and if I can get them outside without hurting myself or them, that's what I do.

Meremoth,
Reactions: ShipDit

SD_haze

I've never seen granddaddy long-legs have that spherical thing on top of their bodies like that one does in keepsake's picture. WTF is that thing anyway? Looks like a miniature pearl.
It's not on top of his body, he has a body segment then a spherical head segment.
You can see in the center picture down below he has a spherical head.

Also,
Here's the clarification on the Daddy Long Legs...
(There's 3 different insects with that nickname. This spider is the one in the middle)
daddydrawing.gif

"That confusing term is used for all these widely different creatures: (left) a crane fly,Tipula sp.; (center) a pholcid house spider, Pholcus phalangioides;(right) a harvestman, Metaphalangium albounilineatum (one of many similar harvestman species)."
link

SD_haze,
Reactions: Meremoth

Meremoth

AKA ♫ Stinky Wizzleteats ♫
Ahhh, ok, cool.

Yeah, I think the ones we have around here or more like the one of the far-right.

There's a myth that they have the most deadly venom in the world, but their mouths are too small to bite you. I use to play with them as a kid. They're harmless.

ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ

Meremoth,

SD_haze

Ahhh, ok, cool.

Yeah, I think the ones we have around here or more like the one of the far-right.

There's a myth that they have the most deadly venom in the world, but their mouths are too small to bite you. I use to play with them as a kid. They're harmless.

ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ
I played with them too as a kid. I would pick them up at school (like middle school) and all the girls would scream and run away :lol:

SD_haze,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
This little jumper has moved in on the shelves next to where I sit at my desk:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-1981.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-197f.jpg

I friend online identified her: https://bugguide.net/node/view/1122...fhrRU3aWdKkSFXrzyehh78JHxgAtIbfRFRgglI3PC2Nx4

So, she's a harmless jumping spider. She's been here for days now, and seems to like hanging out and exploring a couple feet away from me. So I've now got a new family member, I guess.

I'm thinking of ordering one of these terrariums, and seeing if I can get her in it if she's still around when it arrives: https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Micro-Habitats-Arboreal-Small/dp/B08M4FNY5G/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Spider Terrarium&qid=1624228865&sr=8-3&fbclid=IwAR0uEGxPIv0Ju003fGWE5rInlTtdCQ22uUU02Bvw9kujwVQj89K1ulU--18

I've read that these jumpers are great, friendly (easily handled), intro-level first spider pets. And they only live around a year or less, so not the 20+ year responsibility like many large tarantulas (I've been pondering the idea of getting one of those for the last couple of years). A good way to "get one's feet wet", if you will, before seriously considering if I want to get a larger spider.

arb

Semi shaved ape
This little jumper has moved in on the shelves next to where I sit at my desk:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-1981.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-197f.jpg

I friend online identified her: https://bugguide.net/node/view/1122...fhrRU3aWdKkSFXrzyehh78JHxgAtIbfRFRgglI3PC2Nx4

So, she's a harmless jumping spider. She's been here for days now, and seems to like hanging out and exploring a couple feet away from me. So, I've got a new family member, I guess.

I'm thinking of ordering one of these terrariums, and seeing if I can get her in it if she's still around when it arrives: https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Micro-Habitats-Arboreal-Small/dp/B08M4FNY5G/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Spider Terrarium&qid=1624228865&sr=8-3&fbclid=IwAR0uEGxPIv0Ju003fGWE5rInlTtdCQ22uUU02Bvw9kujwVQj89K1ulU--18

I've read that these jumpers are great, friendly (easily handled), intro-level first spider pets. And they only live around a year or less, so not the 20+ year responsibility like many large tarantulas (I've been pondering the idea of getting one of those for the last couple of years).
Spiders can be smelly to keep something they don't mention enough.
Throw hairs some people are extremely allergic to also........but wicked cool animals.
😁

Ramahs

Well, I ordered the plexiglass tank above. She'll have a comfy home and be well fed for the rest of her days if she's still alive and around when it arrives in a few days.

For now I'll be trying to get her used to my hands by doing something like this as often as she's around:

GetLeft

Those jumping spiders jump so quickly you don't see where they're going. Makes me nervous that they're going to jump on me inadvertently . Not sure why they'd want that but I still think it. Must have been eaten by a spider in a prior lifetime.

GetLeft,
Reactions: arb

Ramahs

Those jumping spiders jump so quickly you don't see where they're going. Makes me nervous that they're going to jump on me inadvertently . Not sure why they'd want that but I still think it. Must have been eaten by a spider in a prior lifetime.

They may, but they still are harmless. It seems that, even if you were to fuck up and piss one off enough to cause them to bite, their teeth won't pierce the skin in most cases. And if they do, then their venom is supposed to be very mild for most people. It should be less irritating than a mosquito bite.

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
I once had the pleasure of witnessing an epic windowsill battle between a jumping spider and a housefly, it only lasted about 30 seconds but that fly fought it's way out of the spider's grip. I felt bad for the poor little spider dude, missed out on a feed. :spliff:

Ramahs

I once had the pleasure of witnessing an epic windowsill battle between a jumping spider and a housefly, it only lasted about 30 seconds but that fly fought it's way out of the spider's grip. I felt bad for the poor little spider dude, missed out on a feed. :spliff:

Yeah. It would seem that they are fun to watch while hunting.

GetLeft

I painted houses back in the day and witnessed some epic battles between wasps and spiders. A big wasp would come across a spider and start grabbing it. Little by little, though, the spider is able to lay thread after thread of silk around the wasp as it attacks until what appeared to be a clear victory for the wasp ends up being a wasp wrapped in spider web ready to be consumed.

Ramahs

I remember a college semester which involved me giving heavy anti-psychotic drugs like haloperidol to crawfish :razz:

We were messing with their fear response and Pavlovian programing.

Top Bottom