• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

DIY Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Alright.

This needs to be done. :ninja:

It might not be pretty. It might not be 'awesome', but it needs to be done.

Most of us, being marijuana connoisseurs, are creatures of ingenuity, and creativity. We are also all vapor enthusiasts.

Let's design a vaporizer. :o

I'm not even joking. We all have access to relatively the same materials via the internet and local stores, and that grants us access to almost anything imaginable. I understand not all of us might be MacGyvers, and I really am not fond of homemade paraphernalia or jimmy-rigged smoking tools, but with the science of vaporizing and our professionalism, this can be done with a meeting of (stoned) minds.

Here is what I am thinking for the first project, anyways.....

Something similiar to a Vapor Star.

I mean, look at how simple that is. A wooden holder to fit into a 14mm or 18mm ground glass joint, and a metal element for the heat. Maybe something more similiar to the VaporGenie?

I'd like to get some peoples input, I know we have a lot of wise members here and a lot of clever ones too :brow:

First off, materials:

What's safe to use for the wood? Treated, un-treated? Maybe the Purple-Days Team might be able to lend us some input.

And what about the metal part? Stainless steel? Brass a no-go? Copper? I remember we had some metal workers here as well, right?

And a budding glass blower too! Things are looking good.

I actually got this whole crazy idea by playing with a 100gram weight I have and thinking... 'whoa, it looks like a VaporStar top'. I heated the bottom up with a bic, holding on to the top nipple (it screws/unscrews) and pressed it against my desk on a drop of water. *sizzle* :cool:

Here we go..... ;)

SpiralArchitect,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
SpiralArchitect said:
Alright.

This needs to be done. :ninja:

It might not be pretty. It might not be 'awesome', but it needs to be done.

Most of us, being marijuana connoisseurs, are creatures of ingenuity, and creativity. We are also all vapor enthusiasts.

Let's design a vaporizer. :o

I'm not even joking. We all have access to relatively the same materials via the internet and local stores, and that grants us access to almost anything imaginable. I understand not all of us might be MacGyvers, and I really am not fond of homemade paraphernalia or jimmy-rigged smoking tools, but with the science of vaporizing and our professionalism, this can be done with a meeting of (stoned) minds.

Here is what I am thinking for the first project, anyways.....

Something similiar to a Vapor Star.

[url]http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/887377_vapostarsnap1.jpg[/url]

I mean, look at how simple that is. A wooden holder to fit into a 14mm or 18mm ground glass joint, and a metal element for the heat. Maybe something more similiar to the VaporGenie?

I'd like to get some peoples input, I know we have a lot of wise members here and a lot of clever ones too :brow:

First off, materials:

What's safe to use for the wood? Treated, un-treated? Maybe the Purple-Days Team might be able to lend us some input.

And what about the metal part? Stainless steel? Brass a no-go? Copper? I remember we had some metal workers here as well, right?

And a budding glass blower too! Things are looking good.

I actually got this whole crazy idea by playing with a 100gram weight I have and thinking... 'whoa, it looks like a VaporStar top'. I heated the bottom up with a bic, holding on to the top nipple (it screws/unscrews) and pressed it against my desk on a drop of water. *sizzle* :cool:

Here we go..... ;)
need a small ceramic stone for that

one i had a hot halogen desk lamp with glass plate and i turned it over and this german beer mug fit right over it and i put on some grinded goodness and turned that puppy on and the beer mug fit PEREFECTLY! fill it up and hit the VAPE!!! so sick

Hennessy1414,

Purple-Days

treated wood is a terrible idea for any food grade application. Never use treated wood.

Softwoods won't hold up. Fir and others in this class can't take vape temps. Also think pine-sol smell.

Hardwoods only IMO.

Brass isn't a great idea, Lots of it contains lead, so you better know your source.

Copper is too soft and threads won't hold up.

Aluminum is OK, but unless you can anodize the surface, be prepared for surface corrosion and thread lock.

Stainless is the obvious choice for vapes but you might need to be a machinist unless you get lucky and find parts made for another purpose that would work for you.

Glass is beautiful, safe too, but fragile. And glassblowing, like machining, is a skill that isn't so common. So unless you already know how. . . and have the tools. . .

Ceramics seem easy, grandma does it... But she makes nik-naks. Formulating a porous ceramic vape disk is another of those specialty skills.

Buying single vape quantities of parts is another hurdle. Some items come in 'dozens of vapes' quantities.

Even with an adequate skill set... specialized tools ($$$), special order parts (a few didn't work and went in the garbage %%%) and a clear vision of what I was after, it still took quite a few prototypes ($$$) to get something I was 100% happy with. Even this week we made a slight change to the mfg process, so getting it right the first time out seems less than likely.

Not saying, "Don't Try." just trying to give some insight into the struggles to make something that isn't, "homemade paraphernalia or jimmy-rigged smoking tools" .

Good luck,
Tom

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
Tom's right (of course). It's tough to make a safe and effective vape. I've read many posts by some DIY vape makers on the vaporinfo forum. They knew what they were doing and still had many 'do-overs' before they came up with a decent unit. Even then, after months of use, problems would arise and they'd go back in for another mod or two.

max,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
Purple-Days said:
treated wood is a terrible idea for any food grade application. Never use treated wood.

Softwoods won't hold up. Fir and others in this class can't take vape temps. Also think pine-sol smell.

Hardwoods only IMO.

Brass isn't a great idea, Lots of it contains lead, so you better know your source.

Copper is too soft and threads won't hold up.

Aluminum is OK, but unless you can anodize the surface, be prepared for surface corrosion and thread lock.

Stainless is the obvious choice for vapes but you might need to be a machinist unless you get lucky and find parts made for another purpose that would work for you.

Glass is beautiful, safe too, but fragile. And glassblowing, like machining, is a skill that isn't so common. So unless you already know how. . . and have the tools. . .

Ceramics seem easy, grandma does it... But she makes nik-naks. Formulating a porous ceramic vape disk is another of those specialty skills.

Buying single vape quantities of parts is another hurdle. Some items come in 'dozens of vapes' quantities.

Even with an adequate skill set... specialized tools ($$$), special order parts (a few didn't work and went in the garbage %%%) and a clear vision of what I was after, it still took quite a few prototypes ($$$) to get something I was 100% happy with. Even this week we made a slight change to the mfg process, so getting it right the first time out seems less than likely.

Not saying, "Don't Try." just trying to give some insight into the struggles to make something that isn't, "homemade paraphernalia or jimmy-rigged smoking tools" .

Good luck,
Tom
dude i love you

seriously you=genius...so simple:D

Hennessy1414,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I still think it can be done. I plan on hitting up the hardware store for some ideas this weekend, time permitting. My fellow stoner friend works their and can give me a good discount, not to mention he knows where everything is.

I'll let you guys know how this works out and keep this thread updated on any progress made. Input is still welcome.

Thanks for the pointers Tom. I know it won't be easy, it's just kinda a little project I'd like to take on, or at least attempt.

I'm almost thinking a modified VaporGenie attachment would be ideal. I can use the top I currently have, just fashion a new bowl piece with some sort of mount to 18mm GG. Similiar to what the VG is now, just 'bong style'.

It would require minimal work and it's hardly reinventing the wheel. ;) I think I'll need to increase the bowl capacity and distance from the ceramic heating element to allow more herbs to fit inside, for bigger hits, all while avoiding too high of a temperature.

SpiralArchitect,

Purple-Days

Guud for you Spiral, If the hardware can't help let me know I can direct you to a couple of internet sources.

Rather than a ceramic buffer, could you do something with distance from flame? I played with that before getting a commercial vape.

What about metal baffles, Stainless would be best, but aluminum sheet metal (aka beer can) would give you easy material to prototype with.

Darn you, now you have me thinking, Spiral. You rat. :rolleyes:

Purple-Days,

bongoman

There was a guy called Shafto over at vaporinfo who used to talk about making a vape, in fact he was well into making one I think.

What interested me about his project was that he was attempting to make a vaporiser that was "intuitive" - that is, if you pulled hard you get a big hit, if you pull lightly you get a light hit.

Most of the current vaporisers operate on the reverse principle of course due to the nature of the heating element and airflow and most of us just make the adjustment but I always thought his aim was admirable and interesting. I understand he was trying to build a heating element that held temperature so stable that even a big huff wouldn't drop the temperature.

Maybe that's an impossible aim from an engineering point of view but sometimes as I'm sipping lightly on my vape to try and get a big hit, I wonder what happened to shafto and his plans...

bongoman,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
heres a diy box vape thqat i saw on the shroomery a while back, ive been meaning to post this for a while, but ive been to lazy to try to find it
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7882533#Post7882533
please tell me if you cant see it, i know the shroomery has some of its subforums locked to non members and very new members

edit: ok i guess you cant see it, i just logged out and tryed to go to it, but it gives the "we cannot proceed" message
ill cut and paste it into here this afternoon when i have time

Acolyte of Zinglon,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Yuppers, it's locked. I forgot my Shroomery login info too. :p

Weezy posted an awesome DIY video that is kinda the technique I wanted to use; the vaporgenie filter on a bong.

Hopefully I can get him to give us some advice on his creation. :D

SpiralArchitect,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja

yes, its ugly, but apparently it got the job done
heres the tek that he posted
I'm building another one in a few weeks, and that'll have a tek cuz i'm gonna take pics thru the process. but heres a synopsis:

stuff you need:
wood to build a box
nails or screws
a drill and bits
a 40 watt soldering iron
a dimmer switch
electrical tape
hose and screen to fit female bong slide

Ok, first you cut out the front of the box and put a whole to mount the dimmer switch in.

drill hole to put soldering iron through, you can use washers, but the wood stops burning after a few uses.

cut one of the lines on the power cord for the soldering iron, wire in the dimmer switch and tape over any open wires including the ground.

build box leaving enough power cord sticking out the back to plug it in comfotrable and fully assemble the box.

attach the tube to the female slide, but a screen in it. pack it full of weed and have fun.

takes some playing with to get the temp right, but it works like a charm

Acolyte of Zinglon,

grokit

well-worn member
Bumpity bump... this can't be the current diy thread, but I can't find another :shrug:

I was just cleaning out some old stuff, and kept this because I'm thinking that I have the beginning of a diy vaporizer here. Wrap the cloth-wrapped wire around a glass tube with a gong on the end, or...

42DaPmO.jpg

zolIsci.jpg

It's in better shape than it looks, there's a couple of rusted screws and the plug needs the fungus cleaned off, otherwise it's like new. Whattadaya guys think?

grokit,

Grim Chiclets

Get a long 18mm bong downstem, mount it sideways or something, wrap that shit around it, bam. Surfer wand or something of its ilk as a bowl.

Get an InfraRed thermometer in there though, I'd bet it has beast heat retention.

I've been thinking about building a magical vape that is good at lots of things lately :p

Grim Chiclets,
Reactions: grokit
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom