NFC Diy desktop and log vapes.

Fosil

Hi guys! Greetings from Argentina! I'm vaping for about a year after 15 years of non smoking cannabis and 10 from tobacco quitting.
I was reading the old one for some time, espefifically on diy vapes, I want to thanks @blokenoname @Alan @Abysmal Vapor @Mikroweed Duck and all the rest of great guys for all the info posted freely. It was great to have and idea and find that other people already tried most, so shorting the time for trial and error a lot!

I'm working on two diferent types of vapes, a log and a ssv kinda clone, I made the initial test of one of the prototypes yesterday and it worked fine (not great), but I encountered at least two errors in my design that are easy addresable.

This first one will be my home vape. I always wanted a SSV or Ditanium, but not affordable right now cause the shipping and taxes and a dolar that went from $65 to $130 in less than 3 month here...
I got the glass parts custom made, and made them smaller than the original ones (it was a mistake, but works great and looks lovely hehehe)
Glass beads are not available locally, so I used SS capilary tubes surrounding the ceramic heater, so getting about the same effect than the glass beads, and also getting in the air path so they heat the air inside and outside the cap tubes.
IMG_20200605_193338.jpg IMG_20200605_195619.jpg IMG_20200605_195556.jpgIMG_20200605_235231.jpg

First, the excess of mass, the aluminum holder looked great and was an easy solution, but it was getting all the heat and disipates to the ambient, so I got rid of it and used a piece of high temp silicone tubing tube instead, also helps with termical insulation in the air path.
The second error I can't remember, I was to high when I found it and fixed it :smug::smug:.
We are still in quarantine here, so to get all the parts was really an adventure :sherlock: :lol:

IMG_20200606_235608.jpg

I made the base with my 3d printer, but it will be made in an exotic wood, with a cristal dome over it for heat protection, I have to ask the glass blower if he can made a hole in the dome to just use it with the dome on.

I'm using a ceramic heater from a soldering iron, 50watts 24v @12v, it works fine, at max power I get nice rips, almost as good as the ones from my Mighty, but also more flavourfull than the Mighty, I cannot combust at all, the avb is fine, but it can be better.

First sesions AVB
IMG_20200606_005312.jpg

Second sessions AVB, with the fixes
IMG_20200607_024729.jpg
Second model with the Mighty for size references.

IMG_20200607_165605.jpg

Also, I'm using a pwm control, it has a led light that change in brightness depending to the knob position, it is a nice feature to have, just to know if it is On or OFF and if a full temp or not, I plan on keep a little of this light.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_235608.jpg
    IMG_20200606_235608.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200606_235608.jpg
    IMG_20200606_235608.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 8

Duck

Hi! yes it is better to exchange. is there the air intake?

I think it would have to run better without the metal tubes. yes, order the heating element holder of the ssv or build it. then on wood to stop the heat transport. so my first would be gone. save money first.
with the ssv, the heating element is only fixed in place by cable ties, i believe.

quarantine such a crap.

Fosil

Thanks for your reply!
I will try without the cap tubes, I think it is in balance right now, getting nice vapor and impossible to combust, but I'm loosing some 10 or 20c that would makes it great.
I cannot get any part from outside my country right now, not economically viable.
The heating element and glass part, are fixed nicely by the silicone tubing and also for the little pwm card.
I think that to get rid of the cap tubes, I need a thicker and a little more powerfull ceramic heater maybe...
EDIT: @Mikroweed Duck Sorry, yes, it is an intake I made to have more intake options, I can seal the bottom side of the glass so no cable is in the air path, but the cap tubes wont be used in full property
We will keep in quarantine until June 28, and it will keep going on after that most surely...

Last edited:

Duck

Glad to congratulate you! less is sometimes more.
Yes, this is a ceramic heater. a sample without exact approval ... and permanently creates 1100 and briefly 1300 degrees. you could probably turn it into a heat gun, I have not yet dismantled one.

we do it so we send heating element and you send us exotic wood.:lol::doh:

Last edited:

Fosil

Glad to congratulate you! less is sometimes more.
Yes, this is a ceramic heater. a sample without exact approval ... and permanently creates 1100 and briefly 1300 degrees. you could probably turn it into a heat gun, I have not yet dismantled one.

we do it so we send heating element and you send us exotic wood.:lol::doh:

Hehehe, with the shipping costs would no be the cheapest option... :ROFLMAO:

I'm too intrigued on that heating element, I found some that looked great, just a matter of get one and dismantle the parts that not looks safe to see if it works, like these ones:
Annotation 2020-06-08 145538.pngAnnotation 2020-06-08 145611.png

@Fosil this is awesome! We have a second thread that’s ongoing working on similar diy desktop projects if you’d like to check over there as well! A few new members reached out over some projects I’ve posted on Instagram, with their own very cool diy work! I’ve asked them to join and share with us as well.

Hey! That's great, I will check your thread for sure! Maybe we could help each other :cheers:

Duck

what is that part?
I posted the link to the other topic for you. if the topics together should ask an admin whether he summarizes them. but only if it does not destroy the row fold. only if you want that!

Mikroweed Duck,
Reactions: arb

Fosil

what is that part?
I posted the link to the other topic for you. if the topics together should ask an admin whether he summarizes them. but only if it does not destroy the row fold. only if you want that!

That parts are heating elements for different soldering irons and and heat guns.
Sorry, this is the only thread I created, I will check where I posted before, only one or two.

Last edited:

DocAnchovy

Hey! That's great, I will check your thread for sure! Maybe we could help each other :cheers:

Definitely! Likewise, sharing info and furthering each other’s project would be great. There are some great examples from people of all skill levels throughout here so it’s awesome.:cheers:

Duck

That parts are heating elements for different soldering irons and and heat guns.
Sorry, this is the only thread I created, I will check where I posted before, only one or two.

your first contribution.
my answer should be the link but is not a problem. take a look at the other topic.

Mikroweed Duck,

Fosil

Love this, especially the first round one! This was all diy?

Glad you like them!
The round one, the "Mate" is a real mate, just cutted in angle, it is readily available and really cheap, but this angled model called my attention as a nice way to give a twist to the classic log.
It is nice to have it in your hands, it is the size of an apple.

classic mate: It is an infusion, Tea like.
Annotation 2020-06-12 000641.png

DocAnchovy

Glad you like them!
The round one, the "Mate" is a real mate, just cutted in angle, it is readily available and really cheap, but this angled model called my attention as a nice way to give a twist to the classic log.
It is nice to have it in your hands, it is the size of an apple.

classic mate: It is an infusion, Tea like.
View attachment 1429
a Mate' drinking glass? Very interesting! What did you use as your heating element for the core?

DocAnchovy,

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
I have two different heating elements at disposal, one for soldering irons (24v 50w) and one for 3dprinters (24v 50w), I will try both and if doesn't works as expected, I can get other models or try halogen.
Nice tidy job on the Logs there, man 👍😁
When you run those 24v/50w heaters with a 12v PS, they'll give you 12,5w max output, which is usually sufficient for any log type vape.

Note: ye more massive your log's core and ye wider the heater well, the more power your log will consume to reach and sustain vaping temps.

Fosil

Nice tidy job on the Logs there, man 👍😁
When you run those 24v/50w heaters with a 12v PS, they'll give you 12,5w max output, which is usually sufficient for any log type vape.

Note: ye more massive your log's core and ye wider the heater well, the more power your log will consume to reach and sustain vaping temps.

Thanks for the advices! (y)😃 I read your log thread complete in the older forum :cheers:, great resource!
Already tested the heating element for the soldering irons as you can see in my pics, and as you said, it is sufficient for a log, but for the ssv like clone and the bigger chamber, it is lacking a degree or two :/, I think I will need crystal beads if I want to use that one at that voltage. The only problem is I can only get 4mm ones and I think they are too big for the 9mm ID of the boro tube and the heating element.

Fosil,
Reactions: Duck
Top Bottom