Different strains and their CBD/THC ratios

Lovecrafty

Ok so, weed can be pretty good for anxiety and depression. However, I was reading this transcript from NPR: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130592638 and this was mentioned:

"And some of them help different symptoms. And there's THC, and there's something called CBD, which is a really interesting molecule I would like people to learn more about, and I never knew what CBD was. But it's cannabidiol. This is something that actually is not psychoactive. It doesn't make you high or giddy. But it helps to decrease anxiety. It may be helpful for decreasing psychosis. It doesn't cause the memory issues that THC caused."

"And the other people, I think, who need to be very careful with this drug are people with psychiatric histories or family history. If you've ever been psychotic or you've got blood relatives who get psychotic, it may be that particular strains of cannabis are going to make you very uncomfortable or paranoid. And so people with psychiatric histories really need to be very careful, also."

My BF is a pretty high-strung dude, naturally, but he also has SAD (which is actually been not bad at all so far this year, as opposed to last year when he was on a different depression/anxiety drug than he's on now) and Death Anxiety. This is an issue because his grandmother is dying and that stirs up all sorts of psychiatric weirdness in him. We've never smoked before and both want to start, especially for him. However, I don't want him to end up paranoid-high or with exacerbated anxiety. Does anyone have any info on which strains/types of weed are less psychoactive and more of just a mood lifter?

Lovecrafty,

rusty

Thanks for linking to this interview. I try to follow news stories on Cannabis, especially medical mj and missed this one.

Do some searching on anxiety and cannabis and have a look at strain guides for strains which treat anxiety -- grasscity's medical forum has a link to Granny's strain guide as well as an excellent bibliography.

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/

The effects will also vary by how well the herb is grown and harvested. Everyone is different in their reactions so it will take some experimentation.

Ideally, you or your bf would be able to talk to the doc prescribing the psych meds about cannabis usage.

I am sure other more experienced folks can chime in with more advice.

Rusty

rusty,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
If you get a vaporizer with temperature control, this article might help:

http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Vaporizing_Effects_by_Temperature

You are right to be cautious. Although I haven't seen many anxiety/paranoia attacks caused by marijuana, they do occur. My advice would be to learn as much as possible about what to expect from the effects before trying anything, and if possible have your first experience in the presence of an experienced user who you trust. If you can find a copy of A Child's Garden of Grass by Margolis and Clorfene (classic book from the 70s) I think it would both amuse you and prepare you. I've used it for that purpose with good effect.

Also, because I'm pedantic:

But it's cannabidiol. This is something that actually is not psychoactive. It doesn't make you high or giddy. But it helps to decrease anxiety.

This person clearly has no clue what "psychoactive" means. It's unfortunate that someone who is supposed to be an expert advocating for what I consider to be the right policy would make this mistake.

pakalolo,

crawdad

floatin
real new to all this, but wanted to chime in with what i could...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlb5eHCNL8Q

that video talks about how it effects you, sort of at least, but pretty cool to see all the "receptors" in the body...and later in the documentary (part 6 i think) a pharmaceutical company spokesperson shows the interviewer a huge grow room and speaks about CBD and THC in reference to treating different things by altering the ratios or nearly getting rid of one for the other in some medicines.

i have a good strain im using and took quite a bit once (even ate some) and did get some of the paranoid feelings that you sometimes hear about. i had vague hallucinations but nothing real dramatic, just a general paranoia that i could not shake. i can imagine someone who is already on the verge of mental issues or perhaps just a slightly depressed person who would perhaps flip out a bit on such a trip. it was a weird feeling for sure, so id know for sure the ratio or at least the THC content if you can and do very little to start with.

my (limited) experience is that the weed makes more apparent your current state by removing (or slowing down) the "stops" that your trained mind puts in. there is a clear induced euphoria that runs through you like an electrical field of happiness that the weed itself is responsible for, but otherwise i think what you "think about" or "feel of" while on it is mostly what you had there to begin with.

crawdad,

Lovecrafty

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna look up that book; and that list you posted, Rusty, is helllla comprehensive. Good, too, because I have some back issues xD Guess I found a cure.

Our landlord/boyfriend's family friend/whatever gave us some weed, it seems like an indica but I didn't get the name from her. I tried it and it's a relaxed, body high; I'm gonna try and see if my BF wants any of it this weekend. Wish me luck!

Lovecrafty,
Top Bottom