Differences Between Fresh and Vaped Oils - discussion

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I was thinking recently of making browned butter cannabis cookies, when I met the chef who makes the edibles for Nuggetry. He told me when you brown the butter it loses it's ability to pick things up from Cannabis. "In the kitchen they call it a dead pan," he said. And, you wouldn't want to brown cannabis butter after you make it because the high heat would degrade the goodies.

The connection to THC oil that I recover from my glass just dawned on me. I've understood that it's different from butane oil from bud, but assumed because of those differences you would not be able to clean it up, that it is what it is.

I've read a thread about cleaning up oil that shed some light on what is left by butane, and how to fully purge it while also removing waxes, and how to avoid picking up waxes when extracting from bud. here's a link: http://forums.mycotopia.net/holding-tank/63232-bho-butane-honey-oil.html#post832562
I gotta warn you, the process involves acetone, but the cleaning process is accomplished by mixing the oil with hot water under pressure and shaking it to get the water soluables into the water, then collecting the cleaned oil plug from the top after successive cold baths (thus avoiding a snap that would push soluables back into the oil layer).

I believe the cleaning that's described would work for ABV oil, even tho it is technically "dead" as there are lots of water soluable elements in it. I've described the water soluable elements in ABV extracts as "freeze dried bong water" and personally do a water wash of my ABV prior to eating or extracting from it. I don't lose much, and the taste and farts are cleaner, but cleaning after extraction should also be possible.

I was wondering if anybody has any knowledge or insight into the differences between THC oil from a vape compared to fresh oil, and if anyone knows of a simple way to clean small quantities of oil in solvent? guessing activated charcoal might be more suitable over the process linked above. Wonder if it's worth it...? (that is: how much loss compared to how much cleaner)

I hear a lot of people talk about their recovered oil as if it isn't really that great, but I've had experiences where I evap'd onto ABV and got five times the number of hits than from bud, and maybe 3x the potency, without having gummy stuff in the bowl. I'd enjoy it a lot more if it didn't taste so bad tho.

VWFringe,

Rico420

The way i understand it, is that alot of the strains characteristics come into play when making extracts. Different solvents, different chemical profiles from each strain, usually different strains bet. extractions, etc.

But i think it would be quite possible to vacuum purge some kind of abv oil, of course after washing with some water, this would just be to remove any solvent and water present. Vacuum purging is said to get you some nice creamy bho, very very good stuff. Abv would prob be a little different though, simply because it has gone much chemical change (oxidation, heat degradation/isomerization) and might react chemically different.

I have had experience washing a iso hash oil from green bud with water though. It does work and helps much, but i simply evaped my iso in a pyrex on a glass rangetop on low, barely heating it. Then i washed it with a good amount of tap water. Prob should have used distilled, but where i live the water is very clean. Its just hard to really dehydrate teh oil all the way after that step, and vacuum purging seems like a quite promising and good way to clean up oils with out heating or barely at all.

Google vacuum purging bho and you may learn something new.

Rico420,

StickyShisha2

i'm with your thinking with this thread. i read through the above link and since i am ready to run some bho i was planning on trying out some of those techniques.

but i like your idea. i'll do a dark oil run with my volcano abv as a trial at cleaning it.

i've never worked with acetone. i worry about adding extra impurities from the solvents.

StickyShisha2,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i hope you can share some pictures

I'd love to see dark oil cleaned up

i always have too small a quantity, but will try adding a tablespoon of activated charcoal to my wand solvent

i don't think the level of impurities or the type is any different between ISO and acetone, and our bodies tolerate small quantities of acetone as we produce it internally in trace amounts

metals and other impurities becoming concentrated as the solvent is removed, yes, that's the risk and worry, but in checking into it it seems such a negligible level of impurities

(was surprised vacuum purge containers with hand pumps look so K-Mart, cool!)

VWFringe,
Top Bottom