Did McCarthy claim Japan has no video games?

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Fuck you to any idiots like this guy:

IMG-1316.jpg

Not only because many of the best video games come from Japan...but anyone that claims that violent video games make people violent in real life is a fucking idiot that does not deserve to be taken seriously by anyone. What is this, ninety ninety fucking one?

Ramahs,
Reactions: shredder

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
IMG-1316.jpg

Did McCarthy actually say that or is it just another meme? I know he's said some ignorant shit about gun violence and gun control, I know he's blamed games and movies and music but not our easy access to WMDs but can't find where he ever said what's attributed to him here.

Tranquility

Yeah...I'd like to know if this is actually what he said, also.

If accurate...FUCKING WOW!!
Do what @RUDE BOY did, google it. I can't find anywhere other than the meme itself (On joke pages). That does not mean he didn't say it, but it makes it very unlikely. It is more likely there is some paraphrasing going on for any of a number of ignorant comments he made on video game relation to violence in general combined with the meme-er's counter.

If you look to the actual quotes from his recent Fox News interview it seems his thoughts on the matter have to do with dehumanization of others as the problem in video games for some and not them being a magic killing drug. It seems like using the quote in that context wouldn't make sense so I think it unlikely.

However, Fox puts up transcripts. The problem is, they are organized by show. I don't watch TV news so can't tell, but does anyone know what show this was supposed to be on?

Edit:
Haven't listened yet, but if @Vicki is right, nevermind.

Listen to the tape edit:
He didn't say it in that clip. Certainly not the quote, but I didn't even hear "Japan" anywhere. If someone with younger ears hears it, can you give the time?

Last edited:

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
I honestly cannot listen more than 20 seconds to any politician anymore...

Getting too old to waste precious time on them...pretty much if their lips are moving it's either lies or twisting of the truth to suit the narrative. It's head turning if he said it...if he didn't, then...meh.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
My apologies to everyone here. After a bit of digging, I don't think that was a legitimate quote. Please forgive my sloppiness in not verifying it before posting. It's Poe's Law. We hear this kind of stupid shit spouted all the time these days, that it just didn't sound far fetched at all that this guy would say something like that.

meah-ifyou-could-stop-posting-randon-things-without-act-checking-theml-18057428.png

...my bad :doh:

Shrike

The really sad thing is that it "could" have been true...

No different than the way the fuckers in Gov't lied and twisted the truth about cannabis for the last Century.

The lies, half-truths and mistruths continue, but they're losing day by the day the audience they had snookered all these years...:nod::tup:

Tranquility

The really sad thing is that it "could" have been true...

No different than the way the fuckers in Gov't lied and twisted the truth about cannabis for the last Century.

The lies, half-truths and mistruths continue, but they're losing day by the day the audience they had snookered all these years...:nod::tup:

I disagree.

So much of the misunderstanding and demonization of those who differ with us politically have to do with this exact issue--expecting the other side actually be like the stereotyped meme we have of them in our head. It only "could" have been true to those who's meme for McCarthy is a Neanderthal idiot, yup, he dum dumb.

Maybe the meme is wrong.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so."
--Mark Twain

Tranquility,
Reactions: Ramahs

Shrike

Since this may be veering towards a political discourse in which case I might have a LOT to say, my time spent in this particular thread is done. :rip:

See you all elsewhere...:wave:

Tranquility

Since this may be veering towards a political discourse in which case I might have a LOT to say, my time spent in this particular thread is done. :rip:

See you all elsewhere...:wave:

Look out! Even when we go "elsewhere", the meme-map is still not the destination.

Tranquility,

Shrike

Disagreement, a "warning" and "advice" all in just the last two postings.

Thank you kind sir.

Consider not just me, but all of us on F.C. educated to the possibilities that Meme's, though sometimes funny or thought provoking, may not be entirely factual sometimes are generated by people with their own agendas, including stirring the pot of social interaction.

Think I've got it now...thanks again!

Shrike,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Tranquility

Disagreement, a "warning" and "advice" all in just the last two postings.

Thank you kind sir.

Consider not just me, but all of us on F.C. educated to the possibilities that Meme's, though sometimes funny or thought provoking, may not be entirely factual sometimes are generated by people with their own agendas, including stirring the pot of social interaction.

Think I've got it now...thanks again!
The "meme" is in your head. I'm not talking of funny things put out on the internet, but what you believe. Your personal place everything runs through before you even look at the facts. Your bias. Your discrimination. Your how life has shaped you from living in the world.

The second post was a paraphrase from one of the few politicians I ever liked. Not that I agreed with him, but that he was a character. His claim to fame was in writing a semantics textbook that was widely used back in my time but then he went with his tam-o-shanter into politics.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/S._I._Hayakawa
Citizens of a modern society need [...] more than that ordinary "common sense" which was defined by Stuart Chase as that which tells you that the world is flat. They need to be systematically aware of the powers and limitations of symbols, especially words, if they are to guard against being driven into complete bewilderment by the complexity of their semantic environment. The first of the principles governing symbols is this: The symbol is NOT the thing symbolized; the word is NOT the thing; the map is NOT the territory it stands for.
For a baby touch more in illustration:
Now, to use the famous metaphor by Alfred Korzybski in his Science and Sanity (1933), this verbal world ought to stand in relation to the extensional world as a map does to the territory it is supposed to represent. If a child grows to adulthood with a verbal world in his head which corresponds fairly closely to the extensional world that he finds around him in his widening experience, he is in relatively small danger of being shocked or hurt by what he finds, because his verbal world has told him what, more or less, to expect. He is prepared for life. If, however, he grows up with a false map in his head [...] he will constantly be running into trouble, wasting his efforts, and acting like a fool. He will not be adjusted to the world as it is: he may, if the lack of adjustment is serious, end up in a mental hospital​

Tranquility,

Shrike

You know...I was going to make this a long response to your paraphrasing, wiki quotes and posts directed my way...but I feel this one keeps me happiest. :)

My bad for responding numerous times, I really do know better...(I believe many here know what I mean).
it won't happen again unless it is in a different thread and it in response to something having to do with the fucking of combustion. :nod:

:peace: to you

Shrike,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Tranquility

You know...I was going to make this a long response to your paraphrasing, wiki quotes and posts directed my way...but I feel this one keeps me happiest. :)

My bad for responding numerous times, I really do know better...(I believe many here know what I mean).
it won't happen again unless it is in a different thread and it in response to something having to do with the fucking of combustion. :nod:

:peace: to you

Fair enough. Many get uncomfortable when called out on bias. I will continue to disagree with those who use their own dog whistles to claim they know what others mean without support. Or, as in this case, what they COULD have meant if they just said something like the lie alleged.

Tranquility,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Top Bottom