• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

DaVinci IQ2

Squashdog

Hahah. I would say that. I’m on it. I sent a pic and then they asked foe a video. I’m not sure a 12 second video of a screw is much better than a pic, but I’ll do what they ask.

Hahah. I would say that. I’m on it. I sent a pic and then they asked foe a video. I’m not sure a 12 second video of a screw is much better than a pic, but I’ll do what they ask.
I have to say, they have been very quick in responding. I’m impressed.

Squashdog,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Hi @Davinci_vaporizer
Saw you were lurking this thread yesterday....... any luck finding the data sheet?
Thanks.
Absolutely! Just asked the head of product about it. We have some new faces in places and this might of got lost in transition. On it!

I received the IQ2 today. I haven’t used it just yet, but I’m a little concerned as I found a screw in the oven. Nothing seems to be loose. Any idea?
Whoa! Were you able to address this with customer support? If not, send us a pic in DM!

Absolutely! Just asked the head of product about it. We have some new faces in places and this might of got lost in transition. On it!
After discussion with the lead engineer, we want to say that we highly recommend that a quality 18650, flat top (not button top), with a recommended maximum continuous discharge current of 8-10A is the MOST important specs to note when sourcing batteries outside of what we supply. The 18650 and 18350 batteries we have chosen are tested and run through rigorous quality control before they are inserted in every unit.

To clear up more about the battery experiences shared above. Your safety matters, so to add on a bit more safety mechanisms, we have programmed most of the latest IQ2 devices to also be able to identify if temperatures are getting dangerous (barring any malfunctions on the hardware itself), and as well, how it reads the battery life through the heat up cycle.

So know that if the volts drop below a certain threshold, it is programmed to understand there is not enough energy to heat the oven, and will shut it down. When heating, there is a massive load drawn from the battery to heat fast that can send to the programming and qualify it as a dead battery, and it will shut down.

Why you experience in most instances that you can turn it right back on and hit your temp no problem and run an entire sesh?

Because the energy spent to heat it that first time around did dip below the threshold, but the second time it will not draw so much as the oven is has nearly arrived to its target temperature and the little bit extra didn't take nearly as much energy.

This is something that is in our continuous improvement practices and we aim to improve in future devices.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
After discussion with the lead engineer, we want to say that we highly recommend that a quality 18650, flat top (not button top), with a recommended maximum continuous discharge current of 8-10A is the MOST important specs to note when sourcing batteries outside of what we supply. The 18650 and 18350 batteries we have chosen are tested and run through rigorous quality control before they are inserted in every unit.

To clear up more about the battery experiences shared above. Your safety matters, so to add on a bit more safety mechanisms, we have programmed most of the latest IQ2 devices to also be able to identify if temperatures are getting dangerous (barring any malfunctions on the hardware itself), and as well, how it reads the battery life through the heat up cycle.

So know that if the volts drop below a certain threshold, it is programmed to understand there is not enough energy to heat the oven, and will shut it down. When heating, there is a massive load drawn from the battery to heat fast that can send to the programming and qualify it as a dead battery, and it will shut down.

Why you experience in most instances that you can turn it right back on and hit your temp no problem and run an entire sesh?

Because the energy spent to heat it that first time around did dip below the threshold, but the second time it will not draw so much as the oven is has nearly arrived to its target temperature and the little bit extra didn't take nearly as much energy.

This is something that is in our continuous improvement practices and we aim to improve in future devices.

That’s all great, I happen to be a battery student.

How about the requested data sheet for the Davinci supplied 18650 battery that is supplied to you by YDL in the purple wrap?

The first step in lithium battery safety is having the proper data, many end users like me have advanced chargers that allow detailed control over charge/discharge cycles etc. These specific battery data sheets are publicly available online from every major battery manufacturer. I would think just from a legal - safety viewpoint the Davinci company would want the customer to have access to the battery data....

Squashdog

Whoa! Were you able to address this with customer support? If not, send us a pic in DM!

Likely they are done for today. They said they would get back to me. I used the device and it ran just fine. I’m just a little concerned it may not last if a screw is missing. Anyway, I’ll see what they say tomorrow and report back.

I’d post a pic but I’m not sure how to do that.

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Likely they are done for today. They said they would get back to me. I used the device and it ran just fine. I’m just a little concerned it may not last if a screw is missing. Anyway, I’ll see what they say tomorrow and report back.

I’d post a pic but I’m not sure how to do that.
No worries! We will keep an eye on it as well. If you follow us on any of our other social channels, you are welcome to send a pic there too. Surely don't go out of your way though! Just was curious so we can bring it to the product team's attention also!

That’s all great, I happen to be a battery student.

How about the requested data sheet for the Davinci supplied 18650 battery that is supplied to you by YDL in the purple wrap?

The first step in lithium battery safety is having the proper data, many end users like me have advanced chargers that allow detailed control over charge/discharge cycles etc. These specific battery data sheets are publicly available online from every major battery manufacturer. I would think just from a legal - safety viewpoint the Davinci company would want the customer to have access to the battery data....
Understandable! Waiting on a go-ahead from the execs and will share an update tomorrow!

RustyOldNail

I just gave that a try. Battery below 50% (2 lights on the battery level). It flashed all the lights and turned off at 386f. I turned it right back on and it was at 348f and went up to 420f with no issues.

@cpl5938
Sorry for the test delay.

IQ2 - TEST LOW BATTERY STARTUP @level #2 (1-19-21):

*NOTE: Battery used for test, a brand new genuine Murata/Sony VTC6.

Something I’ve noticed before is there is NO battery LED indicator display when the battery voltage is above the low 2-led position, but when the battery is low at the 2-led or lower condition, the display is then shown at power on. So, I saw the 2-led low battery, as well as the haptic feedback buzzes.

Cold startup, I set temperature to 420f. The temperature increases much slower on a low battery, stalled a few seconds at 350f, then slowly got to 420f, it shut itself off after the 8 minute sesh timer (last IQ model supposedly had a 10 minute shutoff?)

I immediately turned it back on still set to 420f, the temperature from previous sesh was now 320f and climbing, the battery and heater had less work this time as the bowl was still fairly hot. It reached 420f faster, I immediately shut power off, as I wanted to do the last test at the same battery power #2-led.

Waited 30 minutes for IQ2 to cool to room temperature.
Turned unit on 2nd cold start, the battery warning came on, but now at the lowest #1-led. I kept the setting at 420f and timed this cycle at 1:43 seconds to reach set temperature.

Left unit running at 420f till auto shutdown at approximately 6:50 minutes.

Let IQ2 cool 30 minutes to room temperature. Turned it on one last time. Got a #1-led warning, buzzes, and SHUTS DOWN. End of test. Time for a fresh battery.

So as the DaVinci rep. mentioned in his previous post, like most heaters, they will draw the most power from the battery at the beginning to supply the fast “get to temp” speed. The voltage of the battery will drop during this, but with a proper type battery for this device like a VTC6 in healthy condition the voltage will quickly recover. And as seen in my quick test, it will slow down but will reach the high temperature. Using high temperatures in repeated sessions will also reduce performance. The Davinci rep. also mentioned some safe guards built into the device to monitor temperatures that get too high. Even though the battery is isolated, it’s still getting hot from the oven, as well as internal battery heating to deliver the power. And as most know, HEAT is the #1 ENEMY to a battery. And as they age the internal resistance increases, but that’s a whole other subject.

So in regards to your low battery startup issues, I don’t remember the conditions of your batteries (age, internal AC & DC resistance, CHG/DCHG cycles etc.), so that’s the first factor. If they are good condition, then it might be an issue with the device. But remember most batteries after being charged will still show a decent voltage, like 4.1v, or even 4.2, but that’s a reading at “rest”, one would need the proper equipment to actually read the voltage while “under load”, which is the only true reading we really care about. How many times have the batteries been charging and discharged, is more meaningful then how new/old they are. The device specifications for most products are tested at ideal conditions, so fast heating etc, are good marketing numbers, but in real life usage, we seldom see the same ideal results.

Last edited:

cpl5938

Thank you @RustyOldNail !! That is really detailed work and much appreciated. So @Davinci_vaporizer explanation fits my experience. And your work demonstrates the benefit of high-quality batteries. Besides the Davinci-supplied purple battery, I have 4 that came with a flashlight for $20, so that probably says a lot right there! Thanks again for all that work; I’m off to buy some of those batteries.

And thank you @Davinci_vaporizer for describing the expected behavior with heat and low batteries. It matches what I’m experiencing.

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
@cpl5938
Sorry for the test delay.

IQ2 - TEST LOW BATTERY STARTUP @level #2 (1-19-21):

*NOTE: Battery used for test, a brand new genuine Murata/Sony VTC6.

Something I’ve noticed before is there is NO battery LED indicator display when the battery voltage is above the low 2-led position, but when the battery is low at the 2-led or lower condition, the display is then shown at power on. So, I saw the 2-led low battery, as well as the haptic feedback buzzes.

Cold startup, I set temperature to 420f. The temperature increases much slower on a low battery, stalled a few seconds at 350f, then slowly got to 420f, it shut itself off after the 8 minute sesh timer (last IQ model supposedly had a 10 minute shutoff?)

I immediately turned it back on still set to 420f, the temperature from previous sesh was now 320f and climbing, the battery and heater had less work this time as the bowl was still fairly hot. It reached 420f faster, I immediately shut power off, as I wanted to do the last test at the same battery power #2-led.

Waited 30 minutes for IQ2 to cool to room temperature.
Turned unit on 2nd cold start, the battery warning came on, but now at the lowest #1-led. I kept the setting at 420f and timed this cycle at 1:43 seconds to reach set temperature.

Left unit running at 420f till auto shutdown at approximately 6:50 minutes.

Let IQ2 cool 30 minutes to room temperature. Turned it on one last time. Got a #1-led warning, buzzes, and SHUTS DOWN. End of test. Time for a fresh battery.

So as the DaVinci rep. mentioned in his previous post, like most heaters, they will draw the most power from the battery at the beginning to supply the fast “get to temp” speed. The voltage of the battery will drop during this, but with a proper type battery for this device like a VTC6 in healthy condition the voltage will quickly recover. And as seen in my quick test, it will slow down but will reach the high temperature. Using high temperatures in repeated sessions will also reduce performance. The Davinci rep. also mentioned some safe guards built into the device to monitor temperatures that get too high. Even though the battery is isolated, it’s still getting hot from the oven, as well as internal battery heating to deliver the power. And as most know, HEAT is the #1 ENEMY to a battery. And as they age the internal resistance increases, but that’s a whole other subject.

So in regards to your low battery startup issues, I don’t remember the conditions of your batteries (age, internal AC & DC resistance, CHG/DCHG cycles etc.), so that’s the first factor. If they are good condition, then it might be an issue with the device. But remember most batteries after being charged will still show a decent voltage, like 4.1v, or even 4.2, but that’s a reading at “rest”, one would need the proper equipment to actually read the voltage while “under load”, which is the only true reading we really care about. How many times have the batteries been charging and discharged, is more meaningful then how new/old they are. The device specifications for most products are tested at ideal conditions, so fast heating etc, are good marketing numbers, but in real life usage, we seldom see the same ideal results.
Truly astounding detail. Very very nice! Also, just to confirm the point about Original IQ and the 10 minute session time. That is correct. IQ2 is 8 minutes. We got an overwhelming amount of feedback that the 10 minute was too long. So we tailored it back.

We did this with in mind that we could later add the ability to select a range of time between 5 and 10 minutes in the app settings. This was all previous to the Apple move of nuking vaporizer apps in 2019. We had to make a lot of pivots since then, but know we haven't forgot about this option and hope to provide a solution as we continue to source the best option for both iOS and Android user's accessibility to the app.

Thank you @RustyOldNail !! That is really detailed work and much appreciated. So @Davinci_vaporizer explanation fits my experience. And your work demonstrates the benefit of high-quality batteries. Besides the Davinci-supplied purple battery, I have 4 that came with a flashlight for $20, so that probably says a lot right there! Thanks again for all that work; I’m off to buy some of those batteries.

And thank you @Davinci_vaporizer for describing the expected behavior with heat and low batteries. It matches what I’m experiencing.
Appreciate your sharing of your experience! Happy vaping!

RustyOldNail

The LINK below is for the publicly available DATA SHEET for the Sony, now “Murata” brand VTC6 18650 battery.

This information shows you not only the tested specifications, but all the charge/discharge settings used to determine the final test results. With this information, and a decent external battery charger, you are able to determine if you have a “real”, non cloned or rewrapped battery, as well as using that information to set your own charger settings, for SAFETY. All the major battery manufacturers publish these specification data sheets.

You won’t find these data sheets offered by companies that don’t make batteries, but just rewrap other brands, like Efest, Ultrafire, etc. That’s why I don’t buy those brands, they have something to HIDE!

Hoping we can get the same data sheet for the IQ2 Davinci “YDL” Chinese 18650 Battery that is included with the device.

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: BrianTL

RustyOldNail

Been thinking about this recently. Any IQ2 owners try the dosage pod with a spacer? Fit? Experience? @RustyOldNail and @maremaresing?

Thx

:peace: :leaf:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I didn’t get much if any vapor with the POD, even at the highest 430f setting.

Why would one want to add a heat sucking spacer?

Regardless, I just looked for you, can’t put either spacer in at the same time as a pod, too long.....

RustyOldNail,

CANtalk

As I mentioned in a previous post, I didn’t get much if any vapor with the POD, even at the highest 430f setting.

Regardless, I just looked for you, can’t put either spacer in at the same time as a pod, too long.....
There are two spacers from Davinci, so I find it's worth asking. Zirconium is well known for its low thermal conductivity, with the high thermal refractory properties and the Davinci and related zirconium spacers help heat the IQ2 conduction chamber (both with and without a dosage pod).

Last edited:
CANtalk,

RustyOldNail

There are two sizes from Davinci so I find it's worth asking. Zirconium is well known for its low thermal conductivity and high thermal refractory properties. That means the Davinci and related zirconium spacers will help heat the IQ2 conduction chamber.... both with, as well as without, a dosage pod.

That’s all marketing BS, I have two sets of Zirconium inserts, in case I lose any. You get a 6mm & a 10mm, neither will fit if you have a POD in the oven, though it would be counter productive anyway.

RustyOldNail,

CANtalk

You asked me, someone that owns and uses an IQ2. You’re welcome.
I don't doubt your preferences in use, however I'm not big on the combined weak anecdotal fallacy and an earlier sweeping generalization. Different people have different experiences and preferences; there's no "one way" to vape and such talk sounds so dismissive. One of the biggest strengths of the IQ2 is its vaping flexibility :leaf: . I see people sweepingly approve of convection over conduction in vapes every day on FC as well, and it's too bad.... there's more to life than one side of a coin.

At least it's nice to know it doesn't fit :tup:. Thx!

Last edited:

Breaking Bud

I agree with the Pod comment. I can't get a hit from it. I do love the glass spacer though. I often use it without the pearl. I recently removed the flavor chamber because I wasn't using it and I find the vapor is a bit more plentiful without the extra resistance.

Breaking Bud,
Reactions: CANtalk

Bazinga

I agree with the Pod comment. I can't get a hit from it. I do love the glass spacer though. I often use it without the pearl. I recently removed the flavor chamber because I wasn't using it and I find the vapor is a bit more plentiful without the extra resistance.
Is the vapor warmer without the flavor chamber?

Bazinga,

RustyOldNail

I don't doubt your preferences in use, however I'm not big on the combined weak anecdotal fallacy and an earlier sweeping generalization. Different people have different experiences and preferences; there's no "one way" to vape and such talk sounds so dismissive. One of the biggest strengths of the IQ2 is its vaping flexibility :leaf: . I see people sweepingly approve of convection over conduction in vapes every day on FC as well, and it's too bad.... there's more to life than one side of a coin.

At least it's nice to know it doesn't fit :tup:. Thx!

I have no idea what you are expounding on, or how it relates to my response, but having SCIENTISTS contribute to this thread is always welcome.

RustyOldNail,

cpl5938

For me, the pods are great. I do maybe one a day and usually fill 5 or 6 at a time. The unit stays so much cleaner. It took a while to get my techniques down but now I think the IQ2 is great. I even prefer it to my Firefly 2+ because I spend less time cleaning overall and the quality of hits etc is the same. Any odor is much less too.

cpl5938,
Top Bottom