DaVinci IQ2

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Thanks everyone for the questions and the interest! I'll do my best to answer everyone's questions regarding the device.

A few of you commented on it is interesting that we released a product right after the iOs ban- and quite frankly, we believe it is a perfect time. In a time where so many devices are dependant on apps, we were able to pivot. IQ2 calculates the dosage on device, and therefore works independently of the app. To be transparent- that always wasn't the case and we had originally calculated on app, which caused an entire firmware and UI/UX rewrite. We will be supporting the device with an Android app in the near future for expanded functionality, as well as a desktop app for firmware updates.

In terms of dosage calculations, you are correct, there are so many variables, and we took in as many as we could into the calculations. The device asks for information in regards to how many sessions the flower/extract has been in the oven, cannabinoid content and volume filled. It then uses the length of draw and temperature to create an algorithm that references data tables, which we crafted using extensive lab testing. Is it totally accurate- no, but it's close and as we continue more testing we will update the tables to dial it in. This is not meant to be medical advice or in place of medical assistance. Now the caveat here is yes, you have to have some kind of idea what your cannabinoid ratio is.

We completely rearrange the internal components for the IQ2. There is still a flavor chamber, but it's substantially smaller, as we opted for more insulation to for safety and heat. It's also easier to clean under that area. The oven is still the same size, the airpath is still made of zirconia ceramic.

The Air Dial is a neat feature- more holes, more air. Fewer holes- denser vapor. I've met so many people who were on either side of the coin on which they preferred, so we figured let's give them a choice. The air dial feels like a high-end watch face- and we worked with watch manufacturers to dial that in.

All in all, we're excited to bring this next level of feature sets forward!

JCat

Accessory Maker
Thanks everyone for the questions and the interest! I'll do my best to answer everyone's questions regarding the device.

A few of you commented on it is interesting that we released a product right after the iOs ban- and quite frankly, we believe it is a perfect time. In a time where so many devices are dependant on apps, we were able to pivot. IQ2 calculates the dosage on device, and therefore works independently of the app. To be transparent- that always wasn't the case and we had originally calculated on app, which caused an entire firmware and UI/UX rewrite. We will be supporting the device with an Android app in the near future for expanded functionality, as well as a desktop app for firmware updates.

In terms of dosage calculations, you are correct, there are so many variables, and we took in as many as we could into the calculations. The device asks for information in regards to how many sessions the flower/extract has been in the oven, cannabinoid content and volume filled. It then uses the length of draw and temperature to create an algorithm that references data tables, which we crafted using extensive lab testing. Is it totally accurate- no, but it's close and as we continue more testing we will update the tables to dial it in. This is not meant to be medical advice or in place of medical assistance. Now the caveat here is yes, you have to have some kind of idea what your cannabinoid ratio is.

We completely rearrange the internal components for the IQ2. There is still a flavor chamber, but it's substantially smaller, as we opted for more insulation to for safety and heat. It's also easier to clean under that area. The oven is still the same size, the airpath is still made of zirconia ceramic.

The Air Dial is a neat feature- more holes, more air. Fewer holes- denser vapor. I've met so many people who were on either side of the coin on which they preferred, so we figured let's give them a choice. The air dial feels like a high-end watch face- and we worked with watch manufacturers to dial that in.

All in all, we're excited to bring this next level of feature sets forward!
Still conduction based primarily?

django7

Nope, won't buy it. It looks like it's just as hard to clean as the IQ, with that same tiny area where a q-tip won't even go. I wonder if the top pops up when it gets hot, too. And I bet it gets just as hot, requiring a glove like the IQ did. And I bet the glove just slips off like the IQ, too.

They put in features I don't care about, and didn't fix the problems.

david8613

Are they still using that silicone thread with ball in chamber, lots of people had problems with that breaking off, I never did because I never touched it, I just cleaned around it. Never liked that too fragile.

What about convection, are you guys gonna come out with a full convection or hybrid device?

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Nope, won't buy it. It looks like it's just as hard to clean as the IQ, with that same tiny area where a q-tip won't even go. I wonder if the top pops up when it gets hot, too. And I bet it gets just as hot, requiring a glove like the IQ did. And I bet the glove just slips off like the IQ, too.

Aside from being exclusively conduction that was my only real problem with the IQ. It was basically impossible to clean that area unless you sat down for 30 minutes with a box of qtips, and even then I dont think it actually got clean. Absolutely horrible design in that department.

deadlytoaster

Canadian lost in Europe
Gotta say DaVinci has some of the best ever customer service and support I've ever experienced from any company, ever.

With that being said, the dosing control feature is really neat and innovative. I still prefer my on demand convection vapes, but I love to see the innovation DaVinci is bringing to the table. Please make your next device a hybrid heating system and I think it may be perfect. The IQ2 probably isn't for me but I can really appreciate what the DaVinci team is doing

RubPer33

am I the only one who thinks that plastic airflow wheel is an aesthetically horror and makes the vape look like chinese cheap crap? Also I have a Davinci Iq and the really big cleaning problem under flavour chamber is a must NO for this vape and I see they didn´t solve it. I think in few time we are going to see angry davinci iq2 customers

david8613

am I the only one who thinks that plastic airflow wheel is an aesthetically horror and makes the vape look like chinese cheap crap? Also I have a Davinci Iq and the really big cleaning problem under flavour chamber is a must NO for this vape and I see they didn´t solve it. I think in few time we are going to see angry davinci iq2 customers

agree, it doesn't look sleek anymore. the dial looks big, bulky to do such a small job to bring more airflow. I like that it is better insulated, but they needed to introduce some convection in mix.

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
... and increased the price!

Yeah, I felt like Troy glossed over the problematic stuff that wasn't addressed in what was admittedly a first look review. It was doubly awkward because he compared the insubstantial update to the Crafty Plus. Not a ringing endorsement for the new IQ2 even if it wasn't more expensive than the original.

Last edited:

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
Emailed DaVinci in regards to their dosage pods and they very quickly responded with....

They should be available in the next 2-3 weeks on the website.

Yes they will fit the old IQ but it doesn't have the air Dial the IQ2 has so you may not get the best draw off it. If you do use it in the IQ it is recommend to make an "extract sandwich" flower first a little extract and a little more flower. And make sure to clean the bowl after each extract session to prevent gunk and buildup.

The Stray Fox,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay in response here- these back to back tradeshows got me. While I understand a lot of the concerns that were brought up, we did address many of these in the new design. Your words did not fall upon deaf ears.

For instance- the lid popping up. That was definitely a combination of design flaw and supplier issues that we were encountering. The flavor chamber feature was maintained, but the entire design around it was changed so that is no longer a possibility.

The area under the flavor chamber, leading to the bowl, which has historically been difficult to clean has been completely redesigned. There's still a little lip there, to be honest, but it's way more accessible than it was.

The airdial is not plastic. None of this device is, rather it's made of laser-etched sandblasted aluminum. I'll post a video here this week because the process is actually really cool to watch. Random fact I learned- it takes 3 minutes and 6 seconds to create each air dial.

Conduction....yes, it is still conduction. We have a hard time straying away due to the precision temperature control that conduction and PWM offer, but I understand the ask for efficiency and flavor purposes. It's definitely not off the table in future models and we don't intend to stop innovating anytime soon.

karec

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay in response here- these back to back tradeshows got me. While I understand a lot of the concerns that were brought up, we did address many of these in the new design. Your words did not fall upon deaf ears.

For instance- the lid popping up. That was definitely a combination of design flaw and supplier issues that we were encountering. The flavor chamber feature was maintained, but the entire design around it was changed so that is no longer a possibility.

The area under the flavor chamber, leading to the bowl, which has historically been difficult to clean has been completely redesigned. There's still a little lip there, to be honest, but it's way more accessible than it was.

The airdial is not plastic. None of this device is, rather it's made of laser-etched sandblasted aluminum. I'll post a video here this week because the process is actually really cool to watch. Random fact I learned- it takes 3 minutes and 6 seconds to create each air dial.

Conduction....yes, it is still conduction. We have a hard time straying away due to the precision temperature control that conduction and PWM offer, but I understand the ask for efficiency and flavor purposes. It's definitely not off the table in future models and we don't intend to stop innovating anytime soon.

IMO this is a better update than the one i saw on the Crafty +, the issues for me are airflow, lid popping up and the main one cleaning and maintenance of the "satans anus" or the tiny space below the chamber... since i dont have experience with the new IQ2 i cannot add nothing and just take in the reviews already made.
I never though of the IQ being a cheap vape, on the contrary, design wise is one of the most beautiful devices and using metal vs the plastic Crafty made me buy one when i had problem with S&B support... (off course that using metal the device will get hotter but the sleeve is great on that matter)... the 10 year warranty made me more secure for getting one and the message sent by Davinci to customers was by giving 10 year warranty they believed in their product (5 would be enough IMO but im not complaining :lol::D:lol:) so i got one.
Still working with no issues aside the ones i already mentioned but i only use it on the go... i contact DaVinci recently asking if they would come up with a replacement plan for customers that have OG IQs, all of them i believe are still under the 10 year warranty, but i got a reply mentioning none was in place and i understand that, i strongly believe my experience would be better if i just replaced the lid of my IQ for an IQ2 lid if smaller.... airflow in the end is what make my experience mehhhh, love the taste but i understand and fully appreciate that wheel, could be smaller dough....
Will i go for it? i have to say it made me stop and think but probably not (def not with that price tag), i was thinking of selling my IQ to get a new vape, im inclined to the TinyMight but i need more info and reviews... the same with the IQ2 but the price is high for a portable unit, IMO 250 usd should be the max and below that would grant DaVinci more customers, in the end its still conduction... vs the on demand convection alternative of the TM... still a long way to 420, i will make my decision then tic tac tic tac.
Cheers
:cool:

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
@karec well thank you! So you think the wheel should have been smaller? Our design team was insistent on making the Air Dial large- kind of like a large watch face, but I'll bring the comments back to them.

As far as price is concerned, I guarantee that we are one of the most expensive conduction vaporizers to manufacture as we don't spare expense when it comes to material selection....and the tariffs are not helping this matter either though.

Here's some behind the scenes on the air dial production for all us geeks.

karec

@karec well thank you! So you think the wheel should have been smaller? Our design team was insistent on making the Air Dial large- kind of like a large watch face, but I'll bring the comments back to them.

As far as price is concerned, I guarantee that we are one of the most expensive conduction vaporizers to manufacture as we don't spare expense when it comes to material selection....and the tariffs are not helping this matter either though.

Here's some behind the scenes on the air dial production for all us geeks.

Design wise i think would be great to have a smaller wheel, im talking only about the size of the wheel and not the size of the wholes, but i understand that slightly passing the boundaries of the vape is better for accessing and using it (i hope i made sense...) and at the same time would be more stealth.... on the other side, and this was my main reason to advice a smaller wheel, was to actually replace on the OG IQ lid to improve the airflow, this could make IQ users like me to go back and use more this vape but i understand dont make sense for DaVinci IQ2 sales wise, im being honest here with no assumptions of being a design guy so my advice is number 1 mainly for the "old IQ folks" and 2nd to have a more stealth wheel on the IQ2. There are people saying that the wheel turns them down and ruin the slick appearance of the IQ2 and with a smaller stealthier wheel this could work for them.

Regarding the price i understand your argument, i dont know what the margin of making them vs selling them is so i cannot speak on that, im just saying as a customer that the price is a bit high considering the offer of vapes on the market right now, its completely different scenario when DaVinci launch the OG IQ we didnt had a lot of great vapes to choose and putting the price slightly cheaper than the Crafty was good.
I already mentioned that the price will def compromise a future buy of this device imo this price range should be for desktop vapes, i only got a mighty when i found a great deal for 230usd and my EVO worth every € i spend on it but just my opinion.
Great to have your feedback @Davinci_vaporizer if you want and EU beta tester im down :brow: :lol::lol::lol:

Luv the vid btw great machine work :tup:

Cheers
:cool:

karec,

TegridySpecial

I made the upgrade from the IQ and it’s well worth the upgrade imo. I’m addition to better build quality, it heats quicker and produces a more consistent and even vape at a lower setting. It also has the ability to handle concentrates, but I have not tried this yet. So far, I’m impressed and happy with the upgrade.

abcd5432

This dose-a-metic function really ain’t much.

It’s just a THC calculator built into a phone app.

Tell it total qty and percent (and I assume this is THC-A), reduce by about 17% (I think) for knocking acid off during decarb and you get THC number.

There is no way for it to tell how much of that you absorbed.

Like I said, nothing significant that I can see.
I completely agree with you.
To add though, I think it's a good first step. As it becomes more of a feature, people will start to demand better accuracy of the product they get.
I've seen devices you can buy to test the potency of your bud.
Your absorption point holds the most merit, and I don't think anyone can refute it.

I do think though it's an interesting idea and that it hopefully encourages more standardization of product. I'm hoping that this will also spur more Marijuana testing products that test the potency of the bud. Now, you can use a tester and this product, and have a good idea of the thc amount you've pulled through the device, although NOT how much you've absorbed as you've stated.
I find that when I control my breath and hold in my hits, I absorb far more than my typical faster exhale pattern (which I still hold, but I find counting the 7 seconds out to be the optimal for me. From a book I read on absorption but I believe it was combustion based, but it had dabbing(vaporization of concentrates ) so I could be wrong.

abcd5432,
Reactions: nigel

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
You are correct- there is no way to tell how much is absorbed. We specifically state "produced" for that exact reason. We have debates about the "holding your hit" longer effect regularly lol. About 30% of the crew is convinced that it's lack of oxygen to the brain, while the rest champion more absorption.

We did, however, do more than a simple THC calculator to determine the production value that the device is putting out. We worked with labs and ran many tests to determine the THC remaining at different temperatures, different lengths of time, and at different draw volumes. We used the information gathered to create an algorithm that references data tables based on the inputs. It's not perfect because there are so many variables like humidity, and we'll be updating the tables as we go along.

@abcd5432, we're hoping that people demand more accuracy from their product as well!

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
it's like everything is just a reskin of the same tech the last 3+ years lol.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to dismiss the improvements as only a reskin. Sure the exteriors look pretty similar (new one is actually a tad bigger). But then there's a lot that's changed inside.

I make it more akin to the iPhone cycle, where a new model/form-factor/whatever with new improvements in place is released, and then the subsequent iteration is entirely(mostly??) focused on refining and improving the device. Take a good thing and make it great(er).

So, for example, there are a lot of improvements to the oven and heating process, but I don't think this is the round to see a completely different oven type. Just one example.

This dose-a-metic function really ain’t much.

Like I said, nothing significant that I can see.
To me this whole “dose tracking” thing is just a marketing ploy.

Dose tracking? Won’t use it.

Others have already pointed out this is in-device at this point.

And while I agree the "dose-a-matic" might not be relevant or simply a novelty to quite a few people here that "have PhD's in weed", most of the public is NOT on FC and I see this as a great option for new and/or medicinal users.

While some of us might take it as a challenge to make "High Score" (didn't intend a pun here), that would be more recreational or experienced users.

Think of someone's Grandma that might need to start using to treat an ailment. Daunting at first. ("I need to take 1 MMJ. How much is 1??") This gives a gage one can work off of as a starting point and help's one control dosages. "X was not enough, and Y was too much." Okay, now they have a target point.

Doesn't reflect actual absorption or the like. But then there isn't really a way for consumers to do that anyway. (And there isn't a reasonable way to compare between different users... but then again who cares about that? The only user you care about is you. And as long as you don't change, you will probably normalize some of those concerns by just doing things in the way you do them.)

But it will tell you about what *you've* done before, and what has worked for you. And will do "conversion" for you between different posted contents for different strains. Maths is hard for most people.

So I think it will be a super handy option for some. Is it completely accurate? Nope. But it doesn't need to be to help people.

Top Bottom