DaVinci IQ2

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Thanks, man. Your posts here have been useful and help me take the plunge on the IQ2.

Yestarday I loaded a full chamber, no spacers, an even pearl screwed all the way in. Was trying to “infuse” the chamber with herbal taste to see if it helps. Taste was not that improved, but I hope today’s session will be better.

I had hopes that the zirconia spacers and the dosing pods could help me when using small doses (read someone saying he could use 0.15g with spacers).

Can you tell me if one session in SP1 is enough to “kill” a load entirely?

Well, SP #1 = 350f to 370f, so you’ll extract all the flavor goodness. I believe most consider a “killed bowl”, to mean full extraction and dark ABV. I Temp step from SP 3 to 4. I’ve had good results with the same .15 load and large spacer. Can’t explain your taste issue though.

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: Jill NYC

souovaka

My 2 cents........the primary reason that I like the IQ2 is the taste. I have never tried any other Davinci product, so I have nothing to compare to for them. I think the IQ2 flavor is on par with my Solo 2, maybe even slightly better vapor production, overall. It’s better flavor than my Mighty but the Mighty is very good, has better vapor production (clouds) and is nothing if not consistent. I use full loads in the IQ2, vape at 375 and up and exhaust the load in one session. Then there’s my Firefly 2+, Plenty, DynaVap and Volcano, all very good in their own ways.
Thanks, man. Other than the Miqro I have only tried two other budget vapes from friends, and they were not even close.
I got the Miqro causa I live in a non legalized country and have seen neighbors in my building having trouble because of smell. So my primary reason was to get rid of he smoke for discreteness, and lung health concerns.

But after Miqro introduce me to the terpenes (from day 01)... well, you feel me, there's no going back... lol

I hope the taste gets better with the IQ2. I'll try a different approach tonight.

Well, SP #1 = 350f to 370f, so you’ll extract all the flavor goodness. I believe most consider a “killed bowl”, to mean full extraction and dark ABV. I Temp step from SP 3 to 4. I’ve had good results with the same .15 load and large spacer. Can’t explain your taste issue though.

With the Miqro I feel I can only fully extract using SP 3 and 4. The fact that the AVB came out completely cooked (dark brown) at 370F makes me wonder if the oven is over-heating. It would also explain why the taste degrades so quickly.

souovaka,
Reactions: CANtalk

RustyOldNail

Thanks, man. Other than the Miqro I have only tried two other budget vapes from friends, and they were not even close.
I got the Miqro causa I live in a non legalized country and have seen neighbors in my building having trouble because of smell. So my primary reason was to get rid of he smoke for discreteness, and lung health concerns.

But after Miqro introduce me to the terpenes (from day 01)... well, you feel me, there's no going back... lol

I hope the taste gets better with the IQ2. I'll try a different approach tonight.

With the Miqro I feel I can only fully extract using SP 3 and 4. The fact that the AVB came out completely cooked (dark brown) at 370F makes me wonder if the oven is over-heating. It would also explain why the taste degrades so quickly.

Oh, I didn’t see that in your first post. Yeah, 370f should not be dark at all, unless it sat in the oven for multiple sessions? If I recall, someone in this thread had a “rubber” taste. Try searching this thread, I don’t remember the whole story. The only silicone is the tiny area where the oven meets the Zirconium air path.

RustyOldNail,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@souovaka - nice first post!

I have had my IQ2 for a week or so as well.
I haven’t noticed any rubbery taste and I have been able to get plenty of tasty hits on sp1 and 2 (And still reasonable on 3 and 4)
And to be honest, I never even did a burn off other than a quick wipe in the oven with ISO (The horror!!)
I wonder if there is an issue with your IQ2 as mine tastes exactly (and maybe a little better) than my miqro.

However, I have probably been using more than .2g, I usually put in three pax scoops but haven’t measured exact weight.
I will try it later tonight with exactly .2g and let you know if I notice any of the issues you mentioned.

But overall, first impressions- very happy with the IQ2 - love the dial-some-air option!

souovaka

Shocked that they would be capable of doing this, I have to vape a bowl like 4x on max (430) to get it fully brown.
Oh, I didn’t see that in your first post. Yeah, 370f should not be dark at all, unless it sat in the oven for multiple sessions? If I recall, someone in this thread had a “rubber” taste. Try searching this thread, I don’t remember the whole story. The only silicone is the tiny area where the oven meets the Zirconium air path.

@RustyOldNail That's the point. The whole ABV was dark brown after in one session, where the max temp was 370f. And I'm pretty sure it was already done before the time was over as far as flavor is concerned.

I mentioned @Deecee cause he said he needs 4x sessions on 430 to get the load fully brown. I'm getting there in one SP1 session. :(

@souovaka - nice first post!

I have had my IQ2 for a week or so as well.
I haven’t noticed any rubbery taste and I have been able to get plenty of tasty hits on sp1 and 2 (And still reasonable on 3 and 4)
And to be honest, I never even did a burn off other than a quick wipe in the oven with ISO (The horror!!)
I wonder if there is an issue with your IQ2 as mine tastes exactly (and maybe a little better) than my miqro.

However, I have probably been using more than .2g, I usually put in three pax scoops but haven’t measured exact weight.
I will try it later tonight with exactly .2g and let you know if I notice any of the issues you mentioned.

But overall, first impressions- very happy with the IQ2 - love the dial-some-air option!
Hi, @Jill NYC ! Nice to "meet" you after reading so many useful posts on the Miqro thread. :D

Last night I tried the bowl full (all the way to up the white ceramic) and had the same result: fully brown "roasted" ABV. And the taste was miles from what I get with the Miqro. Even used the airdialer fully open as I've read it helps cook herb more slowly.

Gonna try again tonight with some Somango and see if the IQ2 gets (hopefully) on the right track. After all it is my auto 40th birthday present. lol

souovaka,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@RustyOldNail That's the point. The whole ABV was dark brown after in one session, where the max temp was 370f. And I'm pretty sure it was already done before the time was over as far as flavor is concerned.

I mentioned @Deecee cause he said he needs 4x sessions on 430 to get the load fully brown. I'm getting there in one SP1 session. :(

I would try manually setting the temperature, try setting it even lower, instead of the smart path. They are cool, but I don't use them anymore really after initial testing...

Bazinga

I have never used smart paths. I fill the chamber to the top with just a little tamping when the chamber is half full. If packed too tight the draw becomes tight (annoying). It took a little time to find the sweet spot when packing. I temp step starting at 360 degrees. Good flavor and vapor production. Very happy with this device.

RustyOldNail

Yeah, seems your temps are off. Neither SP #1 or 370f for a full 8 minute session, should produce dark brown in my experience.

Shit Snacks suggestion of trying it on manual user set, if you haven’t already, is smart, you can see if there is a difference when on MANUAL 370f.

Folks, don’t poo-poo the Smart Paths, I use them all the time, eliminates a lot of button pressing when manually temp stepping.

Shit Snacks

Yeah, seems your temps are off. Neither SP #1 or 370f for a full 8 minute session, should produce dark brown in my experience.

Shit Snacks suggestion of trying it on manual user set, if you haven’t already, is smart, you can see if there is a difference when on MANUAL 370f.

Folks, don’t poo-poo the Smart Paths, I use them all the time, eliminates a lot of button pressing when manually temp stepping.

Don't get me wrong, I think the smart paths is an amazingly awesome feature for a session conduction vape! I think I just need to figure out how to set up a custom smart path, because I'm not thrilled the way the current ones work (single degree) is all...

Shit Snacks,

RustyOldNail

Don't get me wrong, I think the smart paths is an amazingly awesome feature for a session conduction vape! I think I just need to figure out how to set up a custom smart path, because I'm not thrilled the way the current ones work (single degree) is all...

The mods moved one of my posts to the PAX thread, which I don’t own. I guess I did not explain why I posted it here, though most of you understood the context, Davinci is working on a way for us to access the settings that the user would have if Apple had not removed/banned vaping apps. So EDITING the SMART PATHS should be possible. When we get there, I’d be curious to see your edited SP, I would try it!

I was pointing out that a similar company has solved the same issue. Here is what I wrote, but without the link this time.

“PAX App Solution for iPhones​

PAX released a simple app workaround for Apple/iOS users and we’re here to give you the rundown.”

Shit Snacks

The mods moved one of my posts to the PAX thread, which I don’t own. I guess I did not explain why I posted it here, though most of you understood the context, Davinci is working on a way for us to access the settings that the user would have if Apple had not removed/banned vaping apps. So EDITING the SMART PATHS should be possible. When we get there, I’d be curious to see your edited SP, I would try it!

I was pointing out that a similar company has solved the same issue. Here is what I wrote, but without the link this time.

“PAX App Solution for iPhones​

PAX released a simple app workaround for Apple/iOS users and we’re here to give you the rundown.”

Ah well I don't even have an iPhone lol

Shit Snacks,

Shit Snacks

Sorry...
..but at least what you lack in phones, you more then make up for with vapes..... :)

Haha thanks, but don't get me wrong, that is my choice, much prefer using stock Google Android for full control even though I don't do much with the phone but use it for FC! :lol: So that's why I never really looked into the app or anything, would prefer to just be able to plug it into a computer, you know?

Shit Snacks,

RustyOldNail

Haha thanks, but don't get me wrong, that is my choice, much prefer using stock Google Android for full control even though I don't do much with the phone but use it for FC! :lol: So that's why I never really looked into the app or anything, would prefer to just be able to plug it into a computer, you know?

I thought the Android version still worked with the Davinci app? Then you could edit....

Shit Snacks

I thought the Android version still worked with the Davinci app? Then you could edit....

Yeah I have no idea, was my point, I didn't look into it honestly, because I didn't really want to use an app for my vape... I was just saying the iPhone thing wasn't the reason I hadn't edited the smart paths per se, I know I had the ability to set something up, I just haven't felt like it yet is all! Sorry I was not clear at all, such a roundabout way to say I am just a lazy tester apparently :rofl:

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: souovaka

souovaka

:|
Tried it again last night, on another precision mode session. And once again I think the load was over cooked pretty quickly. I started at 355F, stayed for about 6 minutes and went up to 370F for the remaining session time.

Could feel some good flavor for the first 3 or 4 hits, and then it started degrading fast, and from half the session on, the taste was "smokey", and getting harsh at the throat, even with the air dial wide open, as I've read here and several other places this way helps in making the drawers smoother.

The last 2 minutes, at 370F, smooth was one word I could not use to describe the vapor, and my wife kept coughing for some minutes after the session was done. Something that would happen with the Miqro only with temps higher than 410.

The ABV came out fully dark brown, with some almost black spots. I took pics but don't know how to post them here (do I need some external service to do ite?). I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to get a second session out if, let alone a nice one.

My guess is that the oven is overheating. Maybe some problem with the circuit controlling it.

EDIT: I think i got a way to show the pics here, lets'see:

Pre-session:
bTqVWl1.png

Post 8 minute (355F for about 6 minutes and 370F for the remainder, about 2m) session ABV:
JP6NokF.png

I would try manually setting the temperature, try setting it even lower, instead of the smart path. They are cool, but I don't use them anymore really after initial testing...
I love Smart Paths, and use only them on the Miqro. Maybe I'm lazy, but I like to sit and just worry abou the long sips while the device does the work chasing new compounds to bake. :D

Smart Paths were one of the reasons I chose the IQ2 over the Solo 2.

Last edited:

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@souovaka - i think you should reach out to @Davinci_vaporizer - your heater is way too aggressive at 370.
I am not having that issue at all.

And I agree with the smart path enthusiasts - so nice to let it step up temps for you. I would like it to be more like 6 minutes than 8 minutes, but so far very happy with results going through all 4 smart paths.

Last edited:

souovaka

@souovaka - i think you should reach out to @Davinci_vaporizer - your heater is way too aggressive at 370.
I am not having that issue at all.

And I agree with the smart path enthusiasts - so nice to let it step up temps for you. I would like it to be more like 6 minutes than 8 minutes, but so far very happy with results going through all 4 smart paths.
Yeah, my throat felt that too. The worst part is I'm in Brazil, so will have to deal straight with the reseller here (they handle all the warranties here). But I think they are allright, and hope everything will go ok. I just talked to one person there that was going to take my story to the technician.

Fingers crossed here cause this thing is a beauty, solid and I'm sure that it has everything to outperform the mIQro, when working properly.

Thank you all for the responses.

Oh, and one last thing, Smart Paths are genius! Love'em deeply lol

5 minutes on the mIQro feels a little too short when sharing with my wife. 8 seems nice and we can always end the sessions early if we've had enough, right?

LooseCucumber

I've used my IQ2 every day for about 6 weeks now, still a good device but leaves a little bit to be desired. For one, conduction can get tiring without mixing in other vapes (this may be preference). But one thing that seems more attainable for future iterations would be more oomph in the heating element/oven. For a premium device, I find I can get better rips off competing products (not dotleaf). The cooling is great in this device, so I think hotter vapor could be managed. Overall it's still a good unit, the flavor is really enjoyable and it feels good in the hand. I wouldn't have used it every day for a month and a half if I didn't like it ;)

souovaka

Just fot the sacks of comparison, here's how the ABV came out after one SP1 session yesterday:

qbscWIg.png

Oh, and it is already back to the oven for some 3 other 5 minutes session. Can you tell me if in your IQ2 it comes out like that in SP1?

cpl5938

@souovaka I have two IQ2's and my ABV comes out dark brown after about 12 hits. I don't use it as a session vape. I take a couple of hits at a time and then turn it off. I start on SP2 for hits 1-4, SP3 for hits 5-7, and SP4 for hits 8-12. I use the pods, which work best for me although I know other folks don't use them. It took me about 3 weeks of tweaking, experimenting to get to where I wanted with the device. It's now my favorite vape; I haven't used anything else in the last 6 months.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@souovaka , here you go, hope it helps:
Sorry for the bad pics. I miss my Android camera!

I enjoyed the flavor the entire session.

And here is a shot from a few days ago, after all 4 smart paths. I probably could have gotten a handful more hits with a stir, but flavor over conservation for me these days.

souovaka

@souovaka I have two IQ2's and my ABV comes out dark brown after about 12 hits. I don't use it as a session vape. I take a couple of hits at a time and then turn it off. I start on SP2 for hits 1-4, SP3 for hits 5-7, and SP4 for hits 8-12. I use the pods, which work best for me although I know other folks don't use them. It took me about 3 weeks of tweaking, experimenting to get to where I wanted with the device. It's now my favorite vape; I haven't used anything else in the last 6 months.
The dosage your pods (and some of your posts telling your use) were one of the reasons I jumped into the IQ2. Seemed like a great idea for small doses and the practicality of preparing a bunch of them before hand and just replacing in the oven is a super plus. I tried it once and liked it. And it really helps in keeping the oven clean.

Sorry for the bad pics. I miss my Android camera!

I enjoyed the flavor the entire session.
It seems your session on SP1 is more on par with mine on the MiQro. I can still see fresh/green herb in your "ABV". In my IQ2 it's coming out much more roasted and a darker brown.

And here is a shot from a few days ago, after all 4 smart paths. I probably could have gotten a handful more hits with a stir, but flavor over conservation for me these days.
That's some good use and extraction!

--------------

Thanks to all of you. Great community we have here. :rockon:

Today I sent my device back to the store which sold it and they are going to check if there's any repair to do or simply replace it for a new one. They're the official reseller here in Brazil, and responsible for the ten year warranty in the country too.

Now it's a matter of waiting a bit (luckily my mIQro will be by my side). Oh, and @Davinci_vaporizer was very responsive on Instagram and said that if I don't have success with the store I could go straight to them for support. Points for them! :clap:

One last note. I was wondering if it was my first Davinci device (or even first vaporizer) I would simply consider it to be working, but far from being a worth mentioning device: "Well, it creates clouds and gives me the effects. But the great flavors everyone talks about lasts only 3 inhales and it is not economical on my stash."

It's funny how the mIQro spoiled me. :lol: I got it mainly because I wanted to keep the odours down from my neighbors. Now, I feel like I'm a flavor chaser. lol I'm pretty sure the popcorn taste this faulty unit was giving is probably ten times better than straight combustion, but after two years of smooth zirconia vapor my personal taste has become much more "refined".

And besides that I got used to all the convenience of being able to vape almost anywhere without anyone noticing, leaving no harsh smells behind and defining how "medicated" I wanted to be simply choosing between the SP's.

Even cleaning the device became part of a lovely ritual (call me crazy but I like this part and the ease of cleaning of the Solo 2 was a negative point and one more check to the IQ2 choice box).

Have a nice week!

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
I asked this in the mIQro thread too, but here might be a better place to get an answer...?
Can Davinci zirconium parts be safely soaked in Powdered Brewers Wash without damaging the finish?

I know pbw ruins the anodised layer on aluminum, and that zirconium has a surface layer of oxide too, so I'm wary.

I've run out of alchohol cleaner but still have plenty of PBW

Copacetic,
Reactions: CANtalk

lysolosyl

Has anyone experienced this:

I had a 5 minute session yesterday, at 380 degrees. Full oven. Got done and thought I turned the unit off. Set it down. 5 minutes later, I notice that I smell a burning smell. Pick up the unit and it is burning hot, very uncomfortable to hold. The control button and up/down arrows were illuminated in a white/pale light. None of the buttons would work to do anything. I couldn’t turn it off and it felt like it was getting hotter. I had to take the battery out to get it to turn off.

Once the unit cooled, I checked the oven. All the herb had turned to black dust. It was fully incinerated. Unlike anything I’ve ever seen In a vape. I cleaned the unit but it still stinks. Not sure that smell will ever leave. Which is a deal killer if so. I really liked this vape, for the flavor. So much so, that I ordered a backup last week. Now, I just don’t know......
I currently own 2 IQ2's each with their own fair share of problems. What you just described is what is wrong with my first one. It rarely happens but when it does, it enters a runaway heating mode cooking the entire bowl and requiring extreme cleaning. This has happened 3 times in the past 6 months.

I caught it last time when I heard a bubbling sound. It essentially boils the entire bowl in seconds and if left to run, it just solidifies everything onto the wall of the bowl to be scraped off for at least an hour. The only way to turn off the unit in this state is to remove the battery.

So in total, that IQ2 also has the following 3 issues:
1. Shows battery is empty when the battery state of charge (SOC) is below 90%. Have to plug in the usb cable to add enough power to allow the unit to run for at least 10 minutes before shutting off when the battery reaches 90% SOC. I bought $50 worth of brand new 18650's to make sure it wasn't a problem with the batteries I was using, but after testing 6 new batteries fully charged, the same problem exists.
2. Unit randomly lights up entire led display for a couple seconds and flashes 3 times before shutting off
3. Unit rarely enters a runaway heating mode cooking the entire bowl and requiring extreme cleaning. This has happened 3 times in the past 6 months. When it happens, I have to remove the battery to get it to turn off.

** Note - The above IQ2 was warrantied last year due to not powering on anymore (same issue my second IQ2 now has). I actually purchased my second IQ2 below when I sent my first one to Davinci for repair so that I would have a working unit.

Unfortunately, my second IQ2 doesn't even turn on so I'm currently warrantying that one now so that when I get that back, I can send off the one with the problems above.

My second IQ2 has the following 3 issues:
1. Unit won't turn on. When inserting a new battery, it shows the battery level (full), but the power button no longer works. This happened to my older IQ2 last year.
2. The battery door has been difficult to use since day one. The latch mechanism doesn't want to release most of the time even when the latch is pulled back all the way. When putting a battery in, it doesn't want to close all the time and it takes up to 5 tries to keep the door closed. When no battery is in, the latch doesn't want to open easily.
3. Dosage Calculation / Draw Detection never worked from day one. When inhaling, the display is supposed to show a counter as you inhale and light up the power and up/down buttons. This never worked with this unit.

It's really unfortunate as I need a working product hence owning 2. I'm currently researching other brands/products and will likely be settling with the Storz & Bickel Mighty as I can no longer rely on the IQ2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom