Davinci Ascent Repair

stonedogg

For anyone out there who has a Davinci Ascent let me both congratulate you and give you my condolences. It's a fantastic device... as long as it holds up. For the past 4 months my unit has basically not worked when unplugged. It can operate for about 90 seconds (get up to full temperature, maintain for a few, then begins powering down). I've sent the unit back for repair a few times and finally got tired of paying for shipping back to them for what seemed to be (in my opinion) a defective unit.

Knowing what I do about electronics, I determined that it couldn't be that hard to fix. I regularly fix everything from iPods and cell phones to doing circuit board design. Opening it up the first time proved correct. Inside the unit displays very poor craftsmanship. There is a lot of flux all over the board and a lot of "wet" joints on some of the parts. As would be guessed from the two 3.7 volt batteries it appears from some of the markings on the board that the unit uses 3.3v logic for the microcontroller / VCC.

I'm going to talk about two common repairs: replacing the batteries and fixing the switch.

First, opening up the unit may be trivial. The reason I say may is whether or not you've sent the unit back to Davinci in the past. Normally most of the unit is held together with a film adhesive (something like double sided tape). After sending back for repair Davinci may forego this (as they did with my unit after the last repair) with an epoxy. In the case of the film you simply run a razor blade / exacto knife / shim / or small screwdriver in between the parts and slowly separate them.

sH3XcJm.jpg

Clockwise from the top left we have the back of the unit, the front of the unit, and the right and left sides respectively. Those combined with the internals and base comprise the five major components of the Ascent. Continuing the top right is the top of the unit with the back and front rubberized pieces, as well as the temperature up, temperature down, function and plastic OLED protection screen.

Inside, the unit uses a standard 18650 battery. These can be purchased from some radio shack / electonics stores (not best buy, but more places that sell parts) and from Amazon. The batteries used in this unit are "flat tops". These types of batteries do not have the normal "nub" which would signify the "positive" side of a battery. Instead they are simply labeled and designed to be directly soldered to. The batteries are marked ICR-JD-GPC-18650 3.7V 2200mAh 201310. In upgrading this unit anything with a rating of ~ 2200mAh (milliamp hours) will get you roughly the same performance. Upgrading to batteries with a higher mAh rating may hold a longer charge, but I didn't assume they put a lot of thought into the charge circuit. Safe to say that you should roughly seek this same type of rating out.

The OLED screen is marked with:

S13B288B2501011
WS13B043101

I was unable to find these identifiers in any major parts listings.

The switch is a simple momentary SPST (single pole, single throw) switch. When the switch is depressed for a few seconds, the unit powers on. After the boot up sequence, the process can be repeated to power the unit off.

Here you can see a broken switch:

jhp8Phd.jpg

Here is a finished repair:
U89Pz7T.jpg

At the top of the unit you can see that there are two solder points where the switch is connected. The wire used is stranded wire of very low quality. As this is not passing a large current high gauge wire isn't needed, but feel free to replace with sturdier wire in the event of doing any work on the switch.

I also took a photo of the back of the internals of the unit as well:

ziWBGC4.jpg

This photo does a wonderful job illustrating my earlier point about poor build quality. The wire used is low quality stranded and I noticed that most of the strands at B1 above were actually already broken. I'm not sure if this is due to a previous repair from Davinci or the manufacturer.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Thanks for showing us what's under the hood of the Ascent. Your warranty won't be any good because you tore your unit apart. You didn't want to get another unit to replace yours if it wasn't working?

I've had my unit, it will be 2 years come October and it's still working. I have other vaporizers I use besides the Ascent so it's not my daily driver. It's still in the lineup.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
There's a limited 2 year warranty on the unit itself and 90 days on the battery. I'm glad you can do those types of repairs because I'm not very good with electronics DIY. I learn so much from others like yourself.

gangababa

When removing automotive trim held by adhesive tape strip, a heat-gun is often (gently) used because it softens the adhesive. One might try using a home hair dryer when opening an Ascent.

I suspect the sides are removed prior to the front and back?

gangababa,
Reactions: CarolKing

stonedogg

@CarolKing - that's exactly why I did this. Not too many people are excited by doing a teardown on a well loved toy.

@gangababa - you're correct. My basic process was:

First remove the rubber on the very top (just use the pick that comes with the device to pry it off). Be careful, the switch is recessed in the plastic so you don't want to pull it very far. In this photo i pushed it back into place, hence why you can see the wires which would normally be recessed:
VwtzS1J.jpg

Next the front and back:
kFJ1mcJ.jpg

of60yBr.jpg

Next remove the two side pieces:

NT11ZRi.jpg

Finally, remove the screw beneath the rubberized plastic on the back of the unit:

k7Fpfz2.jpg

swineflulu

So I believe my da vinci battery or both are dead, one day I went to turn it on and nothing lights up. I tore it all apart and now have bought two 18650 3000 mAh batteries, can I solder them to each top of the battery, put the unit back together and it should be working again if the problem was dead batteries?
18650 Batteries

swineflulu,

Vapx_Brazil

Maconheiro
Hello, i have this unit too and the battery level never reach 100%.. is stay on 90% and work for just an hour.

like this photo:

BOWjkxL.png

Questions:

- This is possible due bad batterys?
- can i change the default 18650 2200mah for 3000mah or even a 8000mah?
- the 18650 bat need be flat top? or i can change with any type of top?

Thank you.

Thanks

Vapx_Brazil,
Reactions: CarolKing

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I don't think any real 8000mAh cell exists in fact, don't trust what the Chinese put on those labels. We don't know either what the exact amp draw of this device is, but to be safe I would us something that can output at least 10A continuous.

Vapx_Brazil

Maconheiro
I don't think any real 8000mAh cell exists in fact, don't trust what the Chinese put on those labels. We don't know either what the exact amp draw of this device is, but to be safe I would us something that can output at least 10A continuous.

Thanks KeroZen, i will buy one of 3000mah Panasonic with flat top but there is any difference to use the other model with no flat top?

Sorry for my english.

thank you

Vapx_Brazil,

Zhash

hi, i try to open my ascent who don't run the heat.
but every cable seems to be ok.
How can i know where is the problem ? and why the the heat does not rise ?
thanks for your help

Zhash,

elener_702

A vid world be much appreciated... How'd you pry the two side that contain the batteries underneath

elener_702,

Vapx_Brazil

Maconheiro
A vid world be much appreciated... How'd you pry the two side that contain the batteries underneath

So guys, i live in Brazil and bought this unit ins 2015.
my unit dont hold power anymore so i had to replace the batterys.

after two years looking this thread i finally disassemble it. lol
If you do not want to scratch your unit do not try this. You will be left with permanent marks.

About the sides i had bad time trying to remove them... i had to force and use like 3 razorblades to finally remove it. my had EPOX on it.

My Photos:

8jsZdFaOR3er5_8r6EWCWA.png

L2pj-IXYQiuhkC0bYVdqVg.png

qXTDOdY2QtG5QtBS5JotKg.png

uCnkzwLzRtqp-E5-I_0SDg.png

3MaWZHr7RWiHhbmsZZbj5g.png

X4juyYdmQaCYo5IVqi8G5Q.png

-BLgNGxyRKCwdt8sqPvCew.png

dBf00UijQk2T92WhbDTXwA.png

z-yP9Yb1TqukxnKwDnd3DQ.png

phattpat

How did the repair go? I have one of my ascent vapes taken apart. Luckily it came apart pretty easily. Trying to make sure I get the right batteries right now. Mine would charge but drain quickly and the charging light stayed on even after unplugging it.

phattpat,

fakupos

Hello everybody! Sorry that I reopen this thread but after searching in the forum this one was the most similar to my problem. (And sorry for my english too)
I have a davinci ascent that's not working anymore. It turns on, but it doesn't heat up.
After several inconvenience they sent me a new device for free because they said it is a software issue.
The problem is that no matter what temperature I set, it turns to 000 in F or 430 in C. Reseting doesn't fix the it.
Is there a way to fix that? Like replacing the part or bypassing it?
Thank you for any comment in the matter.

fakupos,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hello everybody! Sorry that I reopen this thread but after searching in the forum this one was the most similar to my problem. (And sorry for my english too)
I have a davinci ascent that's not working anymore. It turns on, but it doesn't heat up.
After several inconvenience they sent me a new device for free because they said it is a software issue.
The problem is that no matter what temperature I set, it turns to 000 in F or 430 in C. Reseting doesn't fix the it.
Is there a way to fix that? Like replacing the part or bypassing it?
Thank you for any comment in the matter.

Hey there is a thread specifically for the ascent over here that would make more sense to post there, but honestly it is such an old and unpopular vape that I don't think you'll get much help? And I'd recommend buying a new vape entirely (IQ2/C is much better, I remember I had wanted the ascent so bad and I finally got it way back when while I was waiting for my solo to be repaired, it was only my third vape ever, and it is so problematic the design is so poor and complicated with moving parts open seams and it is weak powered with inefficient extraction and very imprecise temperature control anyway... Sold mine) Good luck though and welcome to FC!

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: fakupos
Top Bottom