Dab-rite / dab-wrong?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
The device is very distance sensitive. Most people have their sensor way too close, you should be able to pass your finger between your banger and the sensor.

FlyingLow,

MegaMan2k

Agreed, it seems even a very very small change in posistion can result in a 100f difference
Ive carfully adjusted the distance every time i used it never had it too close, always used my index finger to measure distance like the instructions says.

but still it seems like a huge swing just from a very small movement off the sensor. I dont remember it being this sensitive before.

MegaMan2k,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Are you still having issues? Seems like Biohacker told me all the IR’s he tried were kinda like that.

Kinda thinking about getting a dab rite or terpometer while they’re on sale right now. Dab Rite seems more chill with the alarm and hands free reading but I like the idea of consistency with the terpometer especially since I pretty much always use a gem insert.

MegaMan2k

Are you still having issues? Seems like Biohacker told me all the IR’s he tried were kinda like that.

Kinda thinking about getting a dab rite or terpometer while they’re on sale right now. Dab Rite seems more chill with the alarm and hands free reading but I like the idea of consistency with the terpometer especially since I pretty much always use a gem insert.

Well i wouldnt really call it an issue, i basically just started going in at around 590f instead of 520f to off-set this little change in readings,
and this now gives me the same hit as i got on 520 earlier.

So yea the unit still does the job just as good, just the number on the screen is differnent

I would def go with dab-rite over terpometer, as u say more chill in practical-use.
Im also eyeing the new Temp-tech flex now, probably going to get one just to do side-by-sides with the dab-rite :p

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Well i wouldnt really call it an issue, i basically just started going in at around 590f instead of 520f to off-set this little change in readings,
and this now gives me the same hit as i got on 520 earlier.

So yea the unit still does the job just as good, just the number on the screen is differnent

I would def go with dab-rite over terpometer, as u say more chill in practical-use.
Im also eyeing the new Temp-tech flex now, probably going to get one just to do side-by-sides with the dab-rite :p

When you mention one post back having to adjust the goose neck every time you use the Dab Rite it starts sounding less chill than just sticking the terpometer in the banger?

This quote in particular took a bit of wind out of my sails: “it seems even a very very small change in posistion can result in a 100f difference” that at least sounds like a bit of an issue to me, no?

Reliability must matter to some degree or i’d just use a timer or my hand.

I was pretty stoked last night on it but the more I think about it $250 seems spendy for inconsistent readings. I’d honestly probably be a bit disappointed that my low temp thermometer told me to go in at 600 degrees. Can’t it at least be off in the other direction and make me feel like I’m getting good hits at 450 😄

That flex looks pretty nice too, but I guess I’m still skeptical of a $250 IR. Maybe I’ll just get a $15 digital lab thermometer instead 😆

Last edited:

MegaMan2k

When you mention one post back having to adjust the goose neck every time you use the Dab Rite it starts sounding less chill than just sticking the terpometer in the banger?

This quote in particular took a bit of wind out of my sails: “it seems even a very very small change in posistion can result in a 100f difference” that at least sounds like a bit of an issue to me, no?

Reliability must matter to some degree or i’d just use a timer or my hand.

I was pretty stoked last night on it but the more I think about it $250 seems spendy for inconsistent readings. I’d honestly probably be a bit disappointed that my low temp thermometer told me to go in at 600 degrees. Can’t it at least be off in the other direction and make me feel like I’m getting good hits at 450 😄

That flex looks pretty nice too, but I guess I’m still skeptical of a $250 IR. Maybe I’ll just get a $15 digital lab thermometer instead 😆

When i say i adjust it every time i use it, what i mean is everytime i set it up for a new rig, since the joints on my rigs are different height.
So not between rips.

Sensor distance and angle from quartz does affect temp a slight bit, but not by 100f, it seems like my sudden change in readings wasnt due to either of those factors but rather just happend out of nowhere, it was very weird indeed. i have no explanation for what happend

Also, when it comes to consistency in dab-temps... I think its hard to achieve with any instrument.
Because also the bangers will be different.
I have 2 Halen bangers 30 mm, same model purchased around same time in same smokeshop,
there is a noticable difference between the two, one is slightly taller and other has a more round edges around the bottom so less thickness on the curve
This results in two different readings needed for these bangers, 550f and 580f, these two reading gives the exact same vapor production in the hit. Furthermore my Evan Shore seems to have its own temp to achieve that same vapor production aswell
In short, there is no "one" perfect temp that will work universally across all bangers. imo.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
In short, there is no "one" perfect temp that will work universally across all bangers. imo.

I can understand that for sure, especially with different gear - but doesn’t needing different temps on essentially the same setup further suggest the inaccuracy of the equipment?

Are they round bottom bangers?

invertedisdead,
Reactions: MegaMan2k

jonthehuman

Ok, I’m going loony on this one… it’s a $250-$300 device, and I cannot figure out where the purple guide light is supposed to point. It seems it’s supposed to be off to the edge? Which is weird because wouldn’t you want the purple led to be aimed straight at the point you’re measuring??? Please help :)

jonthehuman,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
There are often sales, BOGO, etc... I got mine for just over $100.

The new Pro model is out of my budget but the OG is SWEET!
With the OG, the LED is simply an LED. It does not have to point at anything, it just has a nice affect with the smoke. I usually align mine with the arm on my banger.

The SENSOR is the only thing that aiming matters.

FlyingLow,

MegaMan2k

There are often sales, BOGO, etc... I got mine for just over $100.

The new Pro model is out of my budget but the OG is SWEET!
With the OG, the LED is simply an LED. It does not have to point at anything, it just has a nice affect with the smoke. I usually align mine with the arm on my banger.

The SENSOR is the only thing that aiming matters.

Any idea what the difference is with the Pro version?

Seems like they just added a flash light to it lol.

MegaMan2k,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
It has more features than that... one new feature I actually would appreciate is the secondary alarm on the cool-down. You set it between 200-250*F and upon cooling to your selected temp, it will beep at the perfect temp to dunk and clean your banger.

FlyingLow,

MegaMan2k

Oh yea that is true im pretty sure it has that.
Even tho i would have zero use for it since i dont dunk :D

Biggest selling point for me would probably be if they upgraded the sensor and promised more acuracy or something like that.
Maybe in future versions, if we look at the big picture we are still at the infancy of the industry, wonder what a dab rig looks like in 20 years :D
If we are still around by then :hmm:

MegaMan2k,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I have been looking at these devices thinking to recommend them to people using my kit and it is pretty disappointing. For some reason both Dab Rite and Terpometer are no longer offering their basic models but have moved up to "pro" versions with hugely increased price tags.

Who needs a colour screen on a digital thermometer?? Just a nice retro red-on-black old school LCD display would be just fine.

It's all insanely overpriced in a cynical way, from my European perpsective.
:|

MegaMan2k

I have been looking at these devices thinking to recommend them to people using my kit and it is pretty disappointing. For some reason both Dab Rite and Terpometer are no longer offering their basic models but have moved up to "pro" versions with hugely increased price tags.

Who needs a colour screen on a digital thermometer?? Just a nice retro red-on-black old school LCD display would be just fine.

It's all insanely overpriced in a cynical way, from my European perpsective.
:|

This guy has the o.g version and he is located in the Netherlands, purchased my Proxy from him with zero hassle.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Oh yea that is true im pretty sure it has that.
Even tho i would have zero use for it since i dont dunk :D

Biggest selling point for me would probably be if they upgraded the sensor and promised more acuracy or something like that.
Maybe in future versions, if we look at the big picture we are still at the infancy of the industry, wonder what a dab rig looks like in 20 years :D
If we are still around by then :hmm:
I am not sure an improved sensor would make much difference, as calibration is different for all users. Different distances to sensor, different quartz and thicknesses, etc. Once you find your preferred value, DP just makes it easy to recreate- but I recognize when my screen reads 518*, it is most definitely not the true temp.

FlyingLow,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
You don't need to know the true temp, you just need consistent readings, which means measuring from the same distance and targeting the same spot every time. The only real advantage I can see in this over my €30 IR gun is that this works on transparent materials whereas mine doesn't. The alarm is also usefuI I guess for people using coils.

Haze Mister,
Top Bottom