Da Buddha or silver surfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeandskate

So I'm getting one of these I just can't decide which I'm really.

I like that da Buddha is smaller and cheaper although money isn't a huge factor it would be nice to spend less. But on the surfer I like the custom knobs and the plexi glass looking bottom. As far as hands free or not I'm not sure what I like or dislike. I'm used a vapor brothers before and I didn't like the hands free but those are angled down where the Buddha is 90 degree so I asume it will work differently. Can anyone help win some input and like what the major differences are as the internals go and is da Buddha is really much smaller than the surfer. Any help would be great

smokeandskate,

greenganja

Personally I would probably prefer Da Buddha over the Silver Surfer. The Buddha is hands free via the ground glass joint. The Silver Surfer has an actual attachment to make it hands free. Simply based on cost and ease of use if it were me I would choose the Buddha. If price wasn't an issue then I would choose the Silver Surfer and go with the custom glass heat control knob, wand and mouthpiece.

greenganja,

Honey Bear

greenganja said:
Personally I would probably prefer Da Buddha over the Silver Surfer. The Buddha is hands free via the ground glass joint. The Silver Surfer has an actual attachment to make it hands free. Simply based on cost and ease of use if it were me I would choose the Buddha. If price wasn't an issue then I would choose the Silver Surfer and go with the custom glass heat control knob, wand and mouthpiece.
Green Ganja, I'm sure your intentions were only the best, but there is some misinformation in your post. When you purchase a SSV, you can choose either to go standard or hands free. The hands free choice uses a ground glass hands free connection just like Da Bhudda, and it works very nicely. There is also a metal attachment that exists, which is what you are referring to in your post, but that is for people with the standard connection who want the hands free option...it was put on the market before the ground glass hands free option became available.
I love my Surfer, but can't imagine that DB would function much worse if at all.
Also, Smokeandskate, I believe that the plexi glass look is what you see on the old bottoms. The new bottoms are all metal. I am not sure, but you may be able to request an old school bottom. Also, from what I understand the internals are the same. Either way, I would definitely add an ice chamber or a water filter to your order.

Honey Bear,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
I've owned both and while they are both great the SSV gets the edge because you can get both the GG heater cover and the standard heater cover. With the buddha you are stuck with the hands free. That being said there's absolutely nothing wrong with the hands free they both hit about the same. I like the to use the GG for group settings and the standard when I'm by myself. Alone I have a tendency to forget about the wand being in the heater and somehow this makes me think i might be losing some vapors to the heat being absorbed by the wand so i usually stick to the standard. It's also involves a bit more "ritual" since i find it works best when you move the wand around the heater a bit.

I don't recommend the clip. The standard wand (imo) is not made to be stay put as that will cause uneven heat distribution. And I've read it can scratch the powdercoat.

Can't go wrong with either. But if money is not that much of a problem I'd get the SSV , it might save you from my situation where I got a Buddha and loved it so much I just had to find out what the SSV was like. ;)

As for the size , they are about the same height . The buddha taking a bit less desk space since its not inclined like the SSV.

Skunkypete,

Beezleb

I have Da Buddha and I love the hands free. In fact when I got Da Buddha I thought thats how vapes came. I cannot imagine having a hands free vape as I do a bunch of things while vaping but that is my style.

I also like the wand connects to the same side of the temperature dial where as the ssv is on the opposite but thats hardly much of an issue. The SSV hand down looks cooler to me.

I would of originally gotten an ssv and I probably would of gotten it hands free. It cost extra for hands free with the ssv but it is standard with Da Buddha.

You can get custom glass for Da Buddha just like the SSV and as you probably already know, they are made by the same company.

Beezleb,

Honey Bear

While it's true that you can get custom glass for the DB, you could pimp it out like crazy and it still wouldn't look half as cool as the SSV with no accessories. Me and a friend both have SSV's and did the same thing: Request whatever colors we wanted for knob, heater cover, etc. and then order a custom wand to match our stated preferences. This is smart because the standard wand is unexciting, the custom wands are thicker, and its always good to have more than one wand. As for the temp knob being on the opposite side as the heater, well personally I think that's a non-factor.
And yes, from what I understand, the metal bases do come standard now, but it couldn't hurt to ask if you can get otherwise.

Honey Bear,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
You pick the bottom color/material when you order your SSV. Try it and you'll see.

It's really a matter of personal preference/opinion on aesthetics and operation (as you see in this thread). Both do the job. I like the standard heater cover/wand on my ssv, fun to use, imo.

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Sorry I have yet to read all posts in this thread, but I wanted to chime in on the biggest difference I have noticed between DBV and SSV ( I own neither ).

The SSV's wand uses a female GG connection. (RIGHT)

15i0s3p.jpg

DBV uses a male GG connection. (LEFT)

The male connections stay cleaner and would appear to work better because no plant material can come in contact with the ground glass connections. Why the SSV hasn't changed to a male GG, or the option isn't offered, I have no idea -- because if it was, I would pick one up ASAP.

From what I understand, they operate identical. Other than the wands and their aesthetics, the price is the final factor. :)

Let us know what you pick,

SpiralArchitect,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
SpiralArchitect said:
The SSV's wand uses a female GG connection. (RIGHT)

DBV uses a male GG connection. (LEFT)
The standard wand on the SSV is not Ground Glass , while it is a Glass on Glass connection it doesn't quite look the same as ground glass (it's clear) and doesn't insert into the heater. You can see it pretty clearly here

Skunkypete,

ILoveRadiohead!

If I had the choice I would probably go for the SSV due to the customization aspect. The hand-blown glass adds a bit to the artistic value of the vape as well.

ILoveRadiohead!,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
The hands free version of the SSV also uses a male GG connection for the wand, just like the DBV

love the new avatar SA

stonemonkey55,

SHED7

as far as hits go does the buddha give the same or worse hit because the ssv has a smaller hole???

SHED7,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
It gives a different hit. Better or worse is subjective. More focused hot air stream (on the standard heater cover) results in a slightly higher vapor to air ratio but requires stirring between hits for an even cook.

How often do you DB/GonG users stir your bowl?

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I just checked the SSV site... hm, apparently the SSV hands-free is indeed a male piece. I think this is a recent change. It says it is their 'new GG connection', and if you look around, you'll see their hands-free units use to use a female piece.

IDK, I could be wrong... I swore the SSV used female pieces for their wands for some time.... maybe not.

SpiralArchitect,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Nope, from their website;

Their have been several design changes I am aware of. They no longer have the 'nub' at the end. Instead, the tubing slides 'inside' of the glass piece. No constriction of airflow. Looks like they need to update their site.

I wonder what all the people that got the old design think, and if they are capable of upgrading? I bet they are.... the heater covers are interchangeable from my understanding.

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Afaik they changed the tubing end of the wands because the new female style is easier to make uniformly. The airflow on the original isn't constricted.

Looks like they need to update their site.
Especially the glass inventory pages. Their store backend is desperate need of an overhaul, it should automatically mark a piece as sold when it's purchased. :bang:

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I guess 'constricted' was a bad word choice, a narrow passageway would be a more appropriate descriptor. The wand on my VW uses a similiar 'nub' setup, and it certainly has no constricted airflow. :ko:

I'm sure their 'custom stuff' sells basically as fast as it goes up. A shame, because those are some crazy inflated prices, or what appear to be. Some of that stuff is ridiculously simple (basically a fancy chillum) and it's nearly 100 bones. :/

Someone would make good $$$ having their own 'custom glass vaporizer' type e-shop. Just deal in custom wands and mouthpieces & other glass accessories for vaporizers.....

SpiralArchitect,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
SpiralArchitect said:
I guess 'constricted' was a bad word choice, a narrow passageway would be a more appropriate descriptor. The wand on my VW uses a similiar 'nub' setup, and it certainly has no constricted airflow. :ko:

I'm sure their 'custom stuff' sells basically as fast as it goes up. A shame, because those are some crazy inflated prices, or what appear to be. Some of that stuff is ridiculously simple (basically a fancy chillum) and it's nearly 100 bones. :/

Someone would make good $$$ having their own 'custom glass vaporizer' type e-shop. Just deal in custom wands and mouthpieces & other glass accessories for vaporizers.....
...and heres where clear dome comes into play :cool:

a hope i have one day is to see Clear Domes name up with the likes of fat mike, big z, banjo, sheepdawg, ect ect..

vaporizer accessory aficionado :brow:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,
I'm a fan of whip vapes over the bags.
After reading up, checking out most of the major players on the market i really was sold on the silver surfer, then i found Da Buddha, i'm not one for fancy bells and wistles and the slightly lower price for no real negatives on performance started to swing me towards DBV over SSV.

The problem now.......where can i buy a DBV in the UK?
i have found the SSV on a few sites based in the UK but i cannot find the DBV in the UK. Ebay UK is awful too the only have crappy made in china style vapes that i dont want to touch.

Just order from the US i hear you cry, well the waiting time will put me off, the cost of delivery isnt much fun. the poor to $ means it wont be cheap and probably the biggest killer, customs will stop it and they will open it. Then a 15% sales tax and a 10 admin charge will be handed to me be before they release my goods..... i guess its better than them smashing the glass to tiny bits and then taping up the box and sending on!

Thanks for any help.
Zen.

Zenfold,

max

Out to lunch
The UK is certainly deprived in the vape dept. I'd try to get a place that sells the SSV to get you a DBV. If they don't normally stock it a distributor can certainly get one. If they buy straight from 7th Floor, even better.

max,

Beezleb

Bummer, I would do what max said, if they can order an ssv they can order dbv.

Beezleb,
Well i have started my search by mailing 7th foor to ask for a list of UK resellers of their products.
There may be some places google didn't pick up, or that dont have websites.

oh, how is Da buddha at vaping oil or hash?

Thanks,
Zen

Zenfold,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom