Colorado Cannabis News

bulllee

Agent Provocateur
NEWS BRIEF

Colorado marijuana rules will require testing of vapor, not just oil​

Published 5 hours ago

Colorado regulators adopted new rules for testing cannabis vapor that could have an impact on ensuring consumer safety for vape products but also add another cost to cannabis companies.

The question of what happens to cannabis oil when it is vaporized came to the forefront during the outbreak of vaping-related lung illnesses that began in 2019 and was eventually linked to additives in products from the illicit market.

The Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division’s new rules, released Oct. 9, are intended to help reassure consumers about the safety of tested legal products.

The regulations require companies to test “emissions” from vape products – essentially, examining the aerosol the consumer is inhaling that’s produced from vaping cannabis oil. Until now, the oil has been analyzed in laboratories.

Another Colorado rule requires manufacturers to label cannabis vape cartridges with an expiration date based on “scientific understanding of consumer safety and quality,” according to a news release.

The new regulations don’t take effect until Jan. 1, 2021, so the cannabis industry has time to come into compliance.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Tourism is certainly hurting... I have seen one Co. town, Glenwood Springs, offering $100 cash for visitor incentives if you stay at least 2 nights.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Molson Coors launches CBD sparkling water exclusively in Colorado

This week, Molson Coors Beverage Company launched a new line of sparkling water infused with hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD), called Veryvell. The products, available exclusively in Colorado, are made and marketed under its subsidiary, Truss CBD USA, and mark the beer giant’s first foray into the United States cannabis sector.

macbill,
Reactions: Adobewan

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Colorado may see its biggest overhaul of marijuana laws since recreational legalization

Lawmakers are working on what could be the biggest marijuana legislation in Colorado since recreational cannabis was legalized in 2012 — a bill that would more tightly regulate the state’s industry with a range of proposals, including a possible THC potency cap, a requirement that people seek medical cards in person only and improved data collection aimed at stricter enforcement of purchasing limits.

florduh

Colorado may see its biggest overhaul of marijuana laws since recreational legalization
Lawmakers are working on what could be the biggest marijuana legislation in Colorado since recreational cannabis was legalized in 2012 — a bill that would more tightly regulate the state’s industry with a range of proposals, including a possible THC potency cap, a requirement that people seek medical cards in person only and improved data collection aimed at stricter enforcement of purchasing limits.

Wow! If lawmakers are taking the time to propose this nonsense, I can only assume every real problem in Colorado has been completely fixed. It's a utopia over there. Live image of downtown Denver, I'm assuming:

future.jpg

Tranquility

The story of what happened to SweetLeaf in CO.

The inside story of how regulators took down a successful marijuana company
New details have emerged from both sides in the high-profile flameout of Denver-based cannabis company Sweet Leaf, one of the most talked-about falls from grace in the regulated marijuana industry to date.

A brief background: In 2017, the company boasted 400 employees and was on pace to become one of the largest retail chains in Colorado. It held 26 marijuana cultivation, processing and dispensary licenses in Denver alone, with more in surrounding communities as well as a cannabis business in Portland, Oregon.

Then the wheels fell off.

By the end of that year, the Denver police would raid the company’s stores, arrest more than a dozen budtenders, destroy roughly 7,000 pounds of cannabis and sentence the three owners to a year in prison each for their roles in an illegal, multimillion-dollar sales scheme....

florduh

Tranquility

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like SweetLeaf arguably violated a couple minor regulations. Tracking sales, ensuring no customer visited twice on the same day, etc. They weren't selling to minors or anything. They arrested budtenders over this? They want to send the owners to prison? I'm sorry, but that's insane.
Except, the minor regulations were violated with such regularity to make the state believe it was part of a plan or scheme to circumvent the entire regulatory structure. (To keep weed off the black market.) This was not one guy going from place to place, but a team of people who did it daily. (They say 2.5 tons of weed was sold this way. Using round numbers, that's about 80,000 minor violations of regulations if every violation was for the full ounce.)

https://www.westword.com/marijuana/...looping-charges-get-one-year-in-jail-11199046

That's not to say it's right, just that we're going to see more of it. The State is not amused at people doing freedom.

florduh

This was not one guy going from place to place, but a team of people who did it daily. (They say 2.5 tons of weed was sold this way. Using round numbers, that's about 80,000 minor violations of regulations if every violation was for the full ounce.)

So that State believes SweetLeaf was in cahoots with the team of people buying above their legal limits at their stores? That seems incredibly unlikely. There are way easier ways to offload weed into the black market.

I mean, it sounds like SweetLeaf was a little sloppy with their tracking, but slapping cuffs on $14 an hour employees and threatening prison time for the owners is a bit much. Large corporations that maim employees usually only face 4-5 figure fines. To me, a fine seems way more appropriate in this case as well.

Tranquility

So that State believes SweetLeaf was in cahoots with the team of people buying above their legal limits at their stores? That seems incredibly unlikely. There are way easier ways to offload weed into the black market.

I mean, it sounds like SweetLeaf was a little sloppy with their tracking, but slapping cuffs on $14 an hour employees and threatening prison time for the owners is a bit much. Large corporations that maim employees usually only face 4-5 figure fines. To me, a fine seems way more appropriate in this case as well.
Let's say the fine for such a minor violation is $100.

That's $80,000,000.

But, again, it was alleged it was a plan or scheme of the owners to do this.

Tranquility,

Tranquility

Let's say the fine for such a minor violation is $100.

That's $80,000,000.

But, again, it was alleged it was a plan or scheme of the owners to do this.
Still can't edit posts.

#1 Does no one do math? My number was a factor of 10 too high. SB $8,000,000.

#2 The plan or scheme is the real problem and not just the irregularities. For instance, if I need $6,000 this week and remove it from my bank account and THEN need $6,000 next week and remove it, that's fine. (If I have the money.) If I need $12,000 this week and remove it from my bank account, that, too, is fine.

But, if I need $12,000 and remove $6,000 this week and $6,000 next week to avoid reporting, that's a felony that can get you 5 years and a big fine.

31 U.S. Code § 5324 - Structuring transactions to evade reporting requirement prohibited

Tranquility,

florduh

For 8 million, they could've cut one leg off of about 80 employees (loss of a leg is about 100k in worker's comp). From my perspective, they got scammed by unscrupulous customers. The fine should be enough to scare every other dispensary into submission. But totally destroying a business and throwing people in prison over this? Insane.

The SweetLeaf people are correct. I could drive from liquor store to liquor store, buying enough tequila to kill every teenager in the State. The things our legal system chooses to focus on are hilarious to me.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
macbill,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
macbill,

florduh

Colorado's current marijuana sales tax: 15%

Colorado's current corporate tax rate: 4.63%

florduh,