cloudy tincture

JayAre30

High everyone, I'm brand new here and to tinctures. I made a tincture with everclear and I added a bit to a drink and the drink turned cloudy. Is that normal and is it safe drink? I wonder because it looks just like ISO when water is introduced to it.

JayAre30,
Reactions: Octavia

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
High everyone, I'm brand new here and to tinctures. I made a tincture and I added a bit to a drink and the drink turned cloudy. Is that normal and is it safe drink? I wonder because it looks just like ISO when water is introduced to it.
Probably the extract crashed out of solution either due to change in ph or temperature. What did you make the tincture with and what did you add it to?

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
High everyone, I'm brand new here and to tinctures. I made a tincture with everclear and I added a bit to a drink and the drink turned cloudy. Is that normal and is it safe drink? I wonder because it looks just like ISO when water is introduced to it.
Yeah , alcohol content dropped so it could no longer dissolve it . I would rather use some high proof drinkable rum for the extraction and do shots of that with a chaser :D. it really sux for cocktails as what you say will happen. On the otherhand there was some glycerine based compound that makes it water soluable and good for drinks ,there was a thread somewhere on the forum but i cannot recall the brandname.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
there was a thread somewhere on the forum but i cannot recall the brandname.
Think I saw lecithin, specifically soy lecithin, listed as a good emulsifier in some of the threads? It’s a common food additive to keep oils dissolved in other liquids (basically how soap or cell membranes work if you’ve ever seen those diagrams in chemistry/biology books).

JayAre30

Probably the extract crashed out of solution either due to change in ph or temperature. What did you make the tincture with and what did you add it to?
I made it with everclear. I did not let the tincture warm up, it was in the freezer. I'll let it get to room temp and try again.

JayAre30,

chillAtGVC

In drink (or distilling) circles this is known as louche or louching. It happens with most anise based liqueurs (anisette, ouzo, Pernod etc).

chillAtGVC,

Cdwhit

Mine clouded up when I made it (from vaped bud). I think because I didn’t completely dry the pot after water washing. It still works pretty well.considering it’s what I would have throw away otherwise.

Cdwhit,
Top Bottom