Cleaning Whip - Reclaiming

Prankster

I caught a thread in these forums that had about a million posts about cleaning whips and wands. when I saw them advising the use of alcohols and other substances I decided to type this up.

DO NOT USE Chemicals to Clean your Wands or Whips.

• Get a tall coffee cup. fill it oh 1/3 - 1/2 full of plain water.

• Remove screen from Whip and put wand dirty side down into the water.

• Put the cup and the wand in the microwave on a piece of paper towel.

• Microwave on high for 90 seconds. or until it boils. (this could be a couple of minutes) Grab a tooth pick.

• Remove the cup and you should have a fairly clean wand and a pool of mud floating in the water. Gather that mud on your tooth pick and set it on a piece of paper towel.

• Repeat until there is nothing much left in the wand. you can clean the last traces with a piece of paper towel on a pencil. Takes me about 10 minutes till its sparkling clean.

• Ball up the "mud" you can squeeze off the residual moisture let it set a day or so. It's an excellent hash.

Best thing to do with the hose is replace it. But you can take the old hose cut it into chunks put it in the cup in the microwave and boil the resin right off it also. As long as it was good Quality hose there is absolutely no danger and the results are magnificent.

Remember this wont work with combustion appliances.

Prankster,

beach bum

May I ask why not alcohol?

Wouldn't that make QWISO unsafe?

I think OP was likely referring to some of the plastics used in the tubing. It's possible some of those materials might leach from the whip when ISO is used. :2c:

beach bum,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Good advice or not, I still don't see why you felt the need to make a new thread when we already have a good thread about this subject. Don't you think it's best to keep all info about the same subject in one place? I think FC does.

OhTheAgony,
Reactions: beach bum

Prankster

I think OP was likely referring to some of the plastics used in the tubing. It's possible some of those materials might leach from the whip when ISO is used. :2c:

I was mostly alluding to the fact that you can use water and no effort while reclaiming a high percentage of the product otherwise wasted. With this method there is no need for lengthy evaporation, There are no risks involved in the resulting product. You do not have to buy alcohol or anything else to get the job done in minutes.

I didn't post it in the original thread because that particular thread is far to long to be useful to the average user. But whatever, if the mod wants it moved he can move it.

Prankster,

SD_haze

Except Prank said not to use "chemicals" on whips AND wands.

Certainly no reason not to clean glass with alcohol, superheating it in the microwave is just going to weaken the glass.

SD_haze,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Except Prank said not to use "chemicals" on whips AND wands.

Certainly no reason not to clean glass with alcohol, superheating it in the microwave is just going to weaken the glass.

If the glass is borosilicate, you can't weaken it with your home microwave. If it's not borosilicate, it shouldn't be used to make vapourizing equipment.

pakalolo,

Prankster

Water boils at 212 and its the water your boiling not the glass. There is no direct heat to the glass as it will not absorb more then a tiny fraction of the microwaves.

I say do not use chemicals because they are not necessary and do nothing but increase the risk of accident's. extend the amount time necessary and do nothing for the reclaimed product.

Can totally clean the wand in a cup of water in the microwave in less then ten minutes and actually consume the resulting reclaimed material 5 minutes later.

Prankster,

dannkk

ISO alcohol is pretty safe. Water is fine, but you've got one thing backwards...alcohol is used to speed up the time. You've got to wait a day for all that water to evaporate. You clean your stuff with alcohol, it all evaporates in a few hours. Your method is good, but there's nothing wrong with using safe solvents, either.

dannkk,

Prankster

ISO alcohol is pretty safe. Water is fine, but you've got one thing backwards...alcohol is used to speed up the time. You've got to wait a day for all that water to evaporate. You clean your stuff with alcohol, it all evaporates in a few hours. Your method is good, but there's nothing wrong with using safe solvents, either.

Incorrect, at boiling temps the two substances are totally separate you simply drag a toothpick or whatever thru the pool of cooling resin and pick it up in a lump, wait to cool, squeeze any excess and enjoy pretty much immediately.

The active ingredients of vapor distillate are not water soluble. The stray smoke particulates are (got a little hot, etc). So when your finished your water may be slightly cloudy but you will have reclaimed the bulk of the active ingredient while leaving behind the inactive ingredients in the water.

Prankster,
Top Bottom