Cleaning glass tips and using the microwave

CANtalk

I've been cleaning my glass and using the microwave to dry the piece quickly and efficiently (full power for a few minutes). It's been working very well (and is slick) with my US-made glass pieces. Can I expect the same with China glass or is this something I should avoid (because of annealing and thermal shock considerations with China glass)? Does it matter when the glass is an intricate water piece (perc, interior chambers, etc)?

Any other cleaning tips for glass? Or drying tips?

Thx :peace::leaf:.

Last edited:

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
I've been cleaning my glass and using the microwave to dry the piece quickly and efficiently (full power for a few minutes). It's been working very well (is slick) with my US-made glass pieces. Can I expect the same with China glass or is this something I should avoid (because of annealing and thermal shock considerations with China glass)? Does it matter when the glass is an intricate water piece (perc, interior chambers, etc)?

Any other cleaning tips for glass? Or drying?

That's a great tip! I've been looking for a faster way to dry glassy things.

Thanks.:nod:

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
I've been cleaning my glass and using the microwave to dry the piece quickly and efficiently (full power for a few minutes). It's been working very well (and is slick) with my US-made glass pieces. Can I expect the same with China glass or is this something I should avoid (because of annealing and thermal shock considerations with China glass)? Does it matter when the glass is an intricate water piece (perc, interior chambers, etc)?

Any other cleaning tips for glass? Or drying tips?

Tried these experiments a few years ago & worked good till it shattered one of my asian
pieces at the slits.
I have found this little tool to be INVALUABLE and keep it at my table side to dry small 14 mm glass, Grasshopper & any atty's after ISO soak.
https://www.fasttech.com/shoppingcart?sku=6348200

For bigger bongs use a big hard hot blowing hair Dryer with thermal gloves.

virtualpurple

I will usually dissolve powdered brew wash in hot water, then add to my bubblers, then microwave for a few minutes and letting sit for a few before dumping and rinsing multiple times under the hottest water I can obtain from my faucet.

So far that’s most effective strategy I’ve found that doesn’t involve too much fiddling around or time investment.

CANtalk

Thx @tennisguru1 :tup:. I'm thinking of microwaving the glass at a lower power setting and let the heating be more gradual to avoid thermal shock. Hand held heat guns and blow dryers aren't for me with trying to dry a water rinsed multichamber water piece (tried a blow dryer for a while) but I can see how it would work well with 90%+ ISO which has a lower vapor pressure (and with especially small pieces). Still, that's good info for the community :peace:.

Thx @virtualpurple :tup:. When you microwave are you using a glass bowl/pot? I don't have a glass bowl/pot that fits my large water pieces and instead use a SS pot so I can't microwave it. The rest of your routine sounds very similar to my current process. I use PBW and hot water in a pot on the stove with near min heat and soak the pieces for a little while, agitating and rotating the piece a couple times. After that I rinse the glass similarly to you (three rinses here with the hottest tap water available). I also then do three distilled water rinses of my multichamber pieces (small volumes) so that I don't get water spots or calcification in them (it's hard water here). Do you have China glass and any complex ones that you clean that way?

Anyone else with experience and feedback in microwave drying of glass pieces? :sherlock:

Thx :peace: :leaf:

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
I've considered using the microwave to dry, but never did do it yet. Will give it a try next time I clean my glass. Thanks for the info.

virtualpurple

Thx @tennisguru1 :tup:. I'm thinking of microwaving the glass at a lower power setting and let the heating be more gradual to avoid thermal shock. Hand held heat guns and blow dryers aren't for me with trying to dry a water rinsed multichamber water piece (tried a blow dryer for a while) but I can see how it would work well with 90%+ ISO which has a lower vapor pressure (and with especially small pieces). Still, that's good info for the community :peace:.

Thx @virtualpurple :tup:. When you microwave are you using a glass bowl/pot? I don't have a glass bowl/pot that fits my large water pieces and instead use a SS pot so I can't microwave it. The rest of your routine sounds very similar to my current process. I use PBW and hot water in a pot on the stove with near min heat and soak the pieces for a little while, agitating and rotating the piece a couple times. After that I rinse the glass similarly to you (three rinses here with the hottest tap water available). I also then do three distilled water rinses of my multichamber pieces (small volumes) so that I don't get water spots or calcification in them (it's hard water here). Do you have China glass and any complex ones that you clean that way?

Anyone else with experience and feedback in microwave drying of glass pieces? :sherlock:

Thx :peace: :leaf:

I do the cleaning with the bubbler on a microwaveable plate most times. Usually I am only concerned with cleaning the inside of my water tools so I just have as much of the pbw solution in the bubbler as I am able to when microwaving.

additionally I’ll use a couple of plugs that I use to plug the mouthpiece and the inlet of the bubbler and will wrap the bubbler with a towel or grab with oven mitts and giving a few shakes.

CANtalk

Microwave drying is as quick, easy and hands off as it gets @Roth ;).

Plugs, makes sense now @virtualpurple. I should try to source some plugs :hmm:. My glass has an inlet at the bottom of them, hence what I've been doing.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

virtualpurple

Microwave drying is as quick, easy and hands off as it gets @Roth ;).

Plugs, makes sense now @virtualpurple. I should try to source some plugs :hmm:. My glass has an inlet at the bottom of them, hence what I've been doing.

I’ve purchased tapered plugs from @Ratchett’s Delta3d studios before, they’re nice and easy to grip.

that being said, you can find rubber plugs at Lowe’s or Home Depot nice and cheap.

virtualpurple,
Reactions: CANtalk

CANtalk

Thx @virtualpurple :tup:. I had a wooden cork that worked for the bottom of my hydratube (18mm) so I tried your cleaning method. It worked great :nod:. Came out perfectly clean (I think it helps I clean my glass after every 3 days use so they aren't very dirty). Slick.

It uses much less PBW water than heating in a large pot. I checked out Delta3d studios (I went with them for the ELB loading tool) but I ended up ordering some plugs off Ebay instead. I got a number of sizes and some duplicates for ~ $1 each (including shipping). It should work great. It'll be a while to get them. I'll keep trying this new cleaning method and expect to get old-hand at it fast :sherlock:.

It's great to share and learn new options/choices in basic areas of this hobby. Much appreciated :). I'm sure some other members here can benefit from this cleaning method too.

Optional added detail - Here's how I specifically cleaned that hydratube with a cork.
I filled the plugged hydratube as best I could with the leftover warm PBW water from my small ultrasonic cleaner, it's not much (and after cleaning a nail, the Helio mouthpiece and an ELB in the solution). I then plugged the draw mouthpiece with my finger (I'm using rubber gloves) and shook the hydratube around to mix it in the chamber, a few times, followed by microwaving the hydratube on its side but the sidecar mouthpiece up so that no water comes out. I got the water hot and then shook it around in the piece for a bit, a few times. Then I drained the hydratube again, rinsed it three times with the hottest tap water and finally rinsed it three times again with a light fill of distilled water. I finished up with a microwave dry.

Last edited:

CANtalk

Just another update. Three weeks later I've continued plugging water pieces when cleaning them and it has repeatedly worked great. Thx for the advice @virtualpurple :tup:.

I now simply reuse the leftover hot PBW water from the ultrasonic cleaner to clean my larger water piece (which doesn't fit). I received the plugs from Ebay and they were inexpensive. I've really cut down my cleaner and water use this way. With a distilled water rinse the glass shines. I'm still microwaving dry the large water pieces with interior chambers. This cleaning routine is fast, efficient, hands off and simple.

CANtalk,
Reactions: macbill

CANtalk

Nearly two years later now, this has all been going very well and time for an update. Not long after my last post, I adjusted the cleaning routine as follows and have be doing it a long time:

First, I clean all small/medium size parts in the ultrasonic cleaner with hot PBW water (stir the PBW into solution). 6 minutes, rotating 180 degrees any piece with trapped air bubbles half way through (to change where the trapped air gaps sit in the piece). I reuse the leftover hot PBW water from the ultrasonic cleaner parts to clean any larger water pieces (which don't fit the ultrasonic cleaner). First, I plug the bottom end of the water piece (or pieces) after filling it with the leftover hot PBW solution. Then I add more of that solution into the top end of the water piece, minimizing trapped air gaps. Then I rest the water piece in the sink for a few minutes, followed by turning the water piece 180 degrees around and letting it sit for a few minutes more. I also like to run a bit of water over the piece to each time I let it sit to remove any PBW residue on the exterior surface.

Then shake/agitate the solution in the water piece, remove the plug, partially drain it, shake again and then drain the remaining solution. After that, I triple rinse with tap water, shaking again, then triple rinse with distilled water, shaking again. And you only need ~3 Oz of water per rinse. I'm still microwaving dry the large water pieces with interior chambers... 80% power on a new microwave for 3 minutes. And with that, everything is done and clean clean.

PBW is far superior to ISO in my experience. Highly recommended... ultrasonic cleaning too. And a wicked combo. It's easy and fast enough that I've been cleaning my glass and vape parts after every three days of vaping for nearly two years straight now.

CANtalk

A holiday present to myself this year & worth sharing has been further refinement of this cleaning routine to optimize the vaping experience.

Now, for large water pieces that don't fit in the ultrasonic cleaner, I simply add the leftover PBW solution to about half full and then shake/agitate. Do this 3X for 3-5 seconds each. Then rinse as described. My water pieces still come out spotless and their cleaning routine is down to seconds instead of minutes... so convenient, fast & simple.

Cheers & happy new year.

I do the cleaning with the bubbler on a microwaveable plate most times. Usually I am only concerned with cleaning the inside of my water tools so I just have as much of the pbw solution in the bubbler as I am able to when microwaving.

additionally I’ll use a couple of plugs that I use to plug the mouthpiece and the inlet of the bubbler and will wrap the bubbler with a towel or grab with oven mitts and giving a few shakes.
Sorry to resurrect a 3 year old thread, but do you microwave the glass with the plugs in? I'm assuming they're silicone lab stoppers right? No weird melting or off gassing or anything?

CANtalk

Sorry to resurrect a 3 year old thread, but do you microwave the glass with the plugs in? I'm assuming they're silicone lab stoppers right? No weird melting or off gassing or anything?
No plugs (appear to be a stiff rubber material) in the microwave. I only use the microwave to dry a water piece after a separate cleaning and rinsing. Hope that helps.

CANtalk,

Destroyer95

I simple cleaning method is to use cleaning soda and cleaning vinegar, both available at a local super market. The combination of both creates a sparkling effect and clears everything. Use it with hot water together.

I simple cleaning method is to use cleaning soda and cleaning vinegar, both available at a local super market. The combination of both creates a sparkling effect and clears everything. Use it with hot water together.
when you say cleaning soda - are you talking about baking soda or sparkling water? sorry lol

Jack_Fancy M.D.,

CANtalk

Let me clarify my current glass and vape cleaning routine and hopefully make it easier to understand for those interested. I put the vape parts and glass (that fits) needing cleaning in a small ultrasonic cleaner and clean them with hot PBW water for 3 minutes. Then I flip the glass over and go another 3 minutes (to account for any air bubbles). Then I take that leftover hot PBW water and pour ~1 cup (~250 mL) into the glass bubbler(s). The bubblers are then plugged on one end with a stopper and I use my thumb on the other opening. I shake/agitate the bubbler with the cleaning solution for ~5 seconds, then rest for a few seconds. I shake/agitate and rest 3X (using the same cleaning solution) and then pull the stopper and drain the glass piece. That's it. A hot water rinse 3X follows, then a 3X distilled water rinse follows (small volumes). Next, a 3 minute microwave on high (1000 watt microwave) to dry the glass bubbler(s). In all, it takes <15 minutes for the cleaning routine and it's hands off for all but a few minutes. No need to babysit most of the cleaning either.

CANtalk,

virtualpurple

Sorry to be replying so late, I haven’t checked in for a bit.

I don’t use my plugs in the microwave. I’m not sure if they would offgas, but I don’t want take any unnecessary risks so I just use the plugs afterward.

virtualpurple,

GratefulDread

Are there any good alternatives to Simple Green Crystal? I can't find any locally. Just lookin for something for light/daily bong cleaning. I have PBW for deeper cleaning.
Right now I'm just using hot water but there's still a slight taste.

Last edited:
GratefulDread,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I am over simple green. Hate the residue and lingering smell, I also do not have running water in my shop so it is kinda a PIA to use simple green and rinse thoroughly.

I am back on ISO and nothing else. I find either dipping a qtip mop in ISO then cleaning OR dunking in ISO then moping out is the most effective and simplest method for cleaning bangers. The key to success is applying ISO [or dunking] at the PERFECT temp. Use a temp tool, and dunk as the banger is cooling to 200-215*F.

The new DabRite Pro model has a secondary alarm that you can set to let you know when you cool down to your selected temp so that you can dunk and clean at the most effective temp... I never want to smell simple green again.

FlyingLow,
Top Bottom