• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cartridge heater discussion

Tinman82

Wanted to talk about wattages and styles and such.

I grabbed a bunch of the 8mmx20mm and used them in a number of orientations and boy does it vary at times. Distance from the bowl and I've even noticed ambient temperature can have an effect.

Currently I'm having issues with hot spotting and such. I'll try to post pics later.

badbee

That's a small cartridge and that limited surface area probably means it needs to be pretty hot to adequately heat the air. That could result in an unstable system where the temp varies widely based on inhalation strength (and ambient temps as you noticed). Bury that baby (or maybe a slightly bigger one) in some glass\ruby\ceramic balls and that will provide a heat reservoir that allows for lower (at the cartridge) and more stable temps. Just a thought. I've been playing around with home built and modified desktops but haven't tried a custom cartridge build.

Vasgas

That's a small cartridge and that limited surface area probably means it needs to be pretty hot to adequately heat the air. That could result in an unstable system where the temp varies widely based on inhalation strength (and ambient temps as you noticed). Bury that baby (or maybe a slightly bigger one) in some glass\ruby\ceramic balls and that will provide a heat reservoir that allows for lower (at the cartridge) and more stable temps. Just a thought. I've been playing around with home built and modified desktops but haven't tried a custom cartridge build.
Sounds like the IDB Atlas heater you're describing. Your observations are exactly the same as mine with cartridge heaters. I happen to feel the same even with halogen heaters but to a lesser extent.

I haven't tried burying them with balls though. Have you tried it? What are your thoughts? Without balls, it's been meh for me so far. Good for microdosing perhaps?

badbee

I've seen the pictures of the IDB Atlas but don't know anything about it. I have a Silver Surfer modified with ruby balls and much prefer it over just the bare cartridge. Without the ball mod I found it required too slow of a draw (and I'm fine with 20+ sec draws). If you turn it up the temp at the flower becomes very inconsistent. The balls act as a stabilizer reducing temp swings and providing reserve heat for a long draw at any speed (within reason).

I also have a G43 and an HLT so the basic ball mod heater types are covered. Currently the HLT is my favorite with the G43 coming second. The SSV can produce clouds but is the least efficient of the three, it would be better for groups.

Tinman82

So guys I have pictures! It's been quite a journey and there is still some to go. But I'm pretty happy with it right now! So yeah it's the tiny ceramic cartridge heater for 3d printing. I only see these and the 100mm ones lmk if you see anything else ever.

It's had a few lives so far. Log was great but bowls were tiny. I wanna do an alpha style and fill it with beads but the metal is I also didn't have a drill press and it was pretty shoddy. They're all shoddy tbh. Then I tried a arizer elbow that made good hits but it was soooo tight. I sanded a hole in it that just ruined it.

But since then I've been using this 18 to 18 slide. Taken some trail and error and but now I get a perfect ring of brown. It hits kinda weird. It'll clear a bowl in about 3 full breaths. It gets wild with some wax on top. But once the vapor gives up it's totally done. Can barely get anything from fluffing the bowl or spinning. It also seems to hit harder the harder you suck like in my tc imp.

I want to call it a mini symphony. I like it but I think it could be better. But for like $30 in parts I'm happy.

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
Thanks for starting this thread. Perfect place for me to plan and plot a heady atlas clone. I have a buddy who blows glass on the other side of the country, and it might take a while for him to get around to helping me out. But yeah! after putting together the HLT and modding out my super surfer, I definitely feel ready to tackle this project.

I was considering an all-glass atlas, with no wood handle, a glass handle?

Philabrookla,

Tinman82

Thanks for starting this thread. Perfect place for me to plan and plot a heady atlas clone. I have a buddy who blows glass on the other side of the country, and it might take a while for him to get around to helping me out. But yeah! after putting together the HLT and modding out my super surfer, I definitely feel ready to tackle this project.

I was considering an all-glass atlas, with no wood handle, a glass handle?
What is the atlas. I'm not familiar. But yeah you could go all glass like the symphony. The handles on those are interchangeable and pretty varied. Honestly I would highly advise looking up all the 19/22 sci glass they're 18mm joint. This broken off stem works ok but I'm gonna replace it with something identical but just a hair longer.

If I could find longer cartridges I'd run a much longer one. But it's great fun and the parts are cheap and almost infinite. But if you've got a guy who's good at joints I'd highly advise getting stuff made. They don't need to be fancy. Just simple air holes and a place to run the wires. Every method I've used has worked a treat at varying levels. If some effort and time is put in they can really milk.

Tinman82,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
What is the atlas. I'm not familiar. But yeah you could go all glass like the symphony. The handles on those are interchangeable and pretty varied. Honestly I would highly advise looking up all the 19/22 sci glass they're 18mm joint. This broken off stem works ok but I'm gonna replace it with something identical but just a hair longer.

If I could find longer cartridges I'd run a much longer one. But it's great fun and the parts are cheap and almost infinite. But if you've got a guy who's good at joints I'd highly advise getting stuff made. They don't need to be fancy. Just simple air holes and a place to run the wires. Every method I've used has worked a treat at varying levels. If some effort and time is put in they can really milk.

There is a DIY glass symphony thread too actually, created by the creator of the Atlas, check the plugin section for cloud connoisseur! :tup:

Shit Snacks,

Tinman82

There is a DIY glass symphony thread too actually, created by the creator of the Atlas, check the plugin section for cloud connoisseur! :tup:
Yeah it's a great thing to look over. Mine is basically a stripped down version. I wish I had actually realized someone had all the info posted before I went off making my own.

Top Bottom