Carbon filtered bubbler

UnidenWallet

There is this as well... Obviously more expensive and not really for this thread, but in the grand scheme of things and how much glass goes for, its still relatively cheap!

https://sipipes.com/product/carbon-filtered-tapered-bubbler/

Another member reached out to me and said they had one of these that wasnt being used, so we came to an arrangement (I kill his mother if he kills my wife).

I’m not a fan of the carbon filters being built into the main body of the glass. At first I thought I would love it because it looks cleaner, and saves some space. But the main reason I don’t enjoy them is because there’s too much drag due to the carbon filter not being detachable. It makes it near-impossible to clear the bong.

UnidenWallet,
Reactions: jl420

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I’m not a fan of the carbon filters being built into the main body of the glass. At first I thought I would love it because it looks cleaner, and saves some space. But the main reason I don’t enjoy them is because there’s too much drag due to the carbon filter not being detachable. It makes it near-impossible to clear the bong.

I wouldnt use carbon filters with vapour. The carbon is removeable tho, not built in, and arrives separate.

I specifically checked :)

EmDeemo,

UnidenWallet

I wouldnt use carbon filters with vapour. The carbon is removeable tho, not built in, and arrives separate.

I specifically checked :)

Okay I think you’re confused lol. Obviously the carbon itself is removable, it gets replaced just like the water. ;) But the carbon filter for that piece is unlike the majority of carbon filters. A typical carbon filter is a separate piece, that goes before the downstem. When you finish smoking a bowl, you remove the bowl and carbon filter to clear the bong..

However, the rig you linked does show a carbon filter being built into the glass downstem. Sure the downstem is removable, but now your glass rig won’t function because you pulled out he downstem..

And I think it’s pretty foolish to spend $135 for a carbon-filtered bubbler if you aren’t going to be using it for carbon filtering. It might probably function worse than a normal glass downstem because of those extra notches used to hold the carbon in place.
If you aren’t going to be using carbon, then just buy the same piece with a normal glass downstem.

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Okay I think you’re confused. Obviously the carbon itself is removable, it gets replaced just like the water. ;) But the carbon filter for that piece is part of the main body of the downstem. It’s unlike the majority of carbon filters that are detachable. It’s literally built into the downstem.

I think it’s pretty dumb to spend $135 for a carbon-filtered bubbler if you aren’t going to be using the carbon. It might probably function worse than a normal glass downstem because of those extra notches used to hold the carbon in place.
If you aren’t going to be using carbon, then just buy the same piece with a normal glass downstem.

OK, I see what you mean about the downstem, but like you say...

"4-slot removable carbon downstem (6.5 inch)".

"It might probably function worse"... Right. Its almost certainly certain to be uncertain that its certain. I couldnt fail to disagree with you less?

As for it being dumb (oh you edited to foolish :) ), good luck with that notion on this site! :D

Last edited:
EmDeemo,

UnidenWallet

OK, I see what you mean about the downstem, but like you say...

"4-slot removable carbon downstem (6.5 inch)”

that means when you pull out the downstem, your rig will stop making bubbles. Air will go from the entryway directly to the mouthpiece without making contact with the water.

my bong (like almost all bongs ) has a detachable downstem, but I don’t pull it out every time I smoke. I only pull it out when it cleans cleaning.

UnidenWallet,
Reactions: jl420

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
that means when you pull out the downstem, your rig will stop making bubbles. Air will go from the entryway directly to the mouthpiece without making contact with the water.

my bong (like almost all bongs ) has a detachable downstem, but I don’t pull it out every time I smoke. I only pull it out when it cleans cleaning.

My point was its replaceable.

EDIT: And at a minimal cost. I have the Chinese version, and that version on the way so I can compare.

Last edited:
EmDeemo,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
There is this as well... Obviously more expensive and not really for this thread, but in the grand scheme of things and how much glass goes for, its still relatively cheap!

https://sipipes.com/product/carbon-filtered-tapered-bubbler/

Another member reached out to me and said they had one of these that wasnt being used, so we came to an arrangement (I kill his mother if he kills my wife).

Not bad, but get rid of that damn carbon.
I see it as a gimmick that robs potency.

Ramahs

there isn't a chemistry reaction while vaping

Ummm...no. There is most definitely a chemistry reaction happening while vaping.
Otherwise we would not get high, not to mention there would be no vapor.

Last edited:

olivianewtonjohn

Ummm...no. There is most definitely a chemistry reaction happening while vaping.
Otherwise we would not get high, not to mention there would be no vapor.

I think he is referencing that liquid->gas is a phase change (vaporization) vs a chemical change like combustion. Charring is one monkey wrench in that equation and its gets complicated AFAIK when we get into that kind of detail. But overall I agree with that statement

Ramahs

Even the main chemicals get decarboxylated during vaporization. They literally make a chemical change during that process. The chemical wouldn't be able to be absorbed by your body and used to get you high without losing that carbon. (It's one chemical that your body can't absorb, changing into a completely different chemical that your body can absorb) It is MOST DEFINITELY a chemistry change happening. Otherwise you would not get high. To say otherwise is just ridiculous.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I wanted to build a bowl with a fritted disk built in to catch/filter smaller particles without using cotton or hemp, but I figured it would probably add too much draw restriction.

invertedisdead,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Ive actually purchased several pieces from Sipipes/Gallicchio Glass over the years, all of their pieces have that distinct "wine glass feel" to them and have all performed wonderfully and I have not used a single bit of carbon or fiber in any of them, in fact Ive got several containers full of the carbon and fiber if anyone wants to pick them up at a discount as Im never going to use them.

The tiny indents on the stems to hold the carbon and fibers are exactly the same as ice pinches that have been around forever and in no appreciable way do they effect performance other then perhaps a subjective draw resistance increase.

Important to note yet again, the filtering is intended only for combusting (where it is a day and night improvement IMO), not for vaping.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
In the interest of anyone actually reading this thread and not just posting 'get rid of the carbon' after I've said I'm not using it for carbon, or buying it with carbon and still thinks there is going to be an issue of drag.

I asked the friendly guy who is sending me this piece, to check on the 'too much drag because of a few pinches in a stem' and he has confirmed (with a lot of swearing and 'what on earth are they talking about?') that there is no drag.

And just as I finish this post @ensabbahnur comes to say the same thing.

Hopefully getting it sent over tomorrow.

@ensabbahnur Thanks! Thats what I heard from the other member, that its guaranteed to be nicer than the one I posted from China. I'm looking forward to checking both out. And I've never owned any 'nice' glass before, only dhgate chinese stuff. Good to hear another member sayings its quality glass.

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
IT ARRIVED!

No draw restriction whatsoever. The downstem does NOT need removing or changing out for another. Its exactly as I thought it would be. Doesnt need carbon, didnt come with carbon, carbon isnt in any way being used or missed. Function is great.

"Probably maybe" and "foolish".

Nope.

Top Bottom