Cannabis News UK

Alexis

Could UK's Covid crisis lead to cannabis legalisation?

ITV.com 9th Dec 2020

Article requires cookies so I only had a bare look but looks like a positive article from a large outlet with all the usual good benefits and reasons for legalisation in terms of economic recovery.

=================

(Ireland) People caught with cannabis may now avoid criminal charge

First time personal users may now instead receive a caution, affecting around 12,000 people yearly who were normally dealt with through the courts. It now carries the same penalty as climbing a crowd control barrier at a concert.
Sales remain illegal so I don’t know how that works.
Nice timely bump. And actually, this thread is moving faster than the UK government, who I'm satisfied were very relieved, in regard to this matter and their absolute determination to dodge it for as long as possible, when Covid came along and stole the headlines, took all the heat and spotlight off their shocking resistance.

I would hazardva guess even, that somewhere up the ladder, going back two years, some far-seeing owl was telling them- "Just style it out for a bit, pawns back and forth. Portray incompetence, stall as much as you can, there's something big coming soon gonna take all the focus away from this "issue" ".

I know they were running bizarre simulation models for the pandemic back in 2018.

On the Ireland thing, I wonder how that will play out. I myself was fortunate to receive a rare two cautions for Cannabis posession decades ago, both in Wales.

The strong understanding, and kind of unwritten law or protocol effectively, as I understood it back then, was only one single caution, then any following "offence"(!!! lol, a flipping 10 draw or 1/4 of deadly Pollen right old crim me) would automatically result in an official charge and criminal record.

I did a remarkable job the 2nd time, as a student, my young articulate self, in the sergeant's room at the end of my stay in the Swansea station, with the overwhelming strong support of a beautiful young dark haired Police Lady, who I figured as training, officially "took" the arrest, i.e. under her name and file, only she, I and the sergeant were in the little room at decision time....

But she had taken a liking to me during the police bust leading to this 2nd arrest for posession in Swansea 2003, they busted 50 homes at dawn that day trying to crack down on heroin dealers, I was just caught in the fire, only my 1/4 of pollen in my friends house, and I was just drifting off to sleep, in company of two friends at 6 am, after we had been up all night on acid smoking pollen buckets, and she was literally pleading with all her beauty in the sergeant's ear not to charge me.

He was reluctant but her influence on him was powerful. He confronted me eye to eye, demanding one good reason why he should not charge me, seeing as my one entitled caution was already used up.

I gave a good answer basically, still tripping and very tired, and he conceded, on the provision I met next door with some drug counsellor woman.

I tried to politely decline, but it was made clear to me it was essentially a formality process, by agreement, to avoid a criminal charge.

I accepted, spent 1 minute in the room with the lady, told her I don't use drugs hardly, did not need help- I was paranoid about saying more to be honest, I just wanted to get out of that Police Station fast as, and I was free to collect my belongings and walk home by about 2 pm.

But the sergeant strongly assured me if he saw me in that station again, he would charge me no question, insisting how fortunate I was to get a rare 2nd caution.

So I wonder how this caution thing will work in Ireland. I will read the link now, just typed this first. Unless it's unlimited cautions, it's only a thin veil away from a criminal record still.

Covid definitely bought the government lots of time on moving this along, taking so much pressure and focus of the matter.

I wonder if we are still on track for at the least, potentially, decriminalisation within 5 years from now? It was looking like maybe 5 years from "then", whenever that was now lol (18 months?), possibly 10.

Who knows what may swing. It could be 2 years. It could be 10. Will Brexit at last have an impact one way or the other?

@blackstone hope you are well my UK amigo and making the best of the holiday (pah, what does that, Friday, Monday, or March even mean anymore lol) period.

blackstone

Nice timely bump. And actually, this thread is moving faster than the UK government, who I'm satisfied were very relieved, in regard to this matter and their absolute determination to dodge it for as long as possible, when Covid came along and stole the headlines, took all the heat and spotlight off their shocking resistance.

I would hazardva guess even, that somewhere up the ladder, going back two years, some far-seeing owl was telling them- "Just style it out for a bit, pawns back and forth. Portray incompetence, stall as much as you can, there's something big coming soon gonna take all the focus away from this "issue" ".

I know they were running bizarre simulation models for the pandemic back in 2018.

On the Ireland thing, I wonder how that will play out. I myself was fortunate to receive a rare two cautions for Cannabis posession decades ago, both in Wales.

The strong understanding, and kind of unwritten law or protocol effectively, as I understood it back then, was only one single caution, then any following "offence"(!!! lol, a flipping 10 draw or 1/4 of deadly Pollen right old crim me) would automatically result in an official charge and criminal record.

I did a remarkable job the 2nd time, as a student, my young articulate self, in the sergeant's room at the end of my stay in the Swansea station, with the overwhelming strong support of a beautiful young dark haired Police Lady, who I figured as training, officially "took" the arrest, i.e. under her name and file, only she, I and the sergeant were in the little room at decision time....

But she had taken a liking to me during the police bust leading to this 2nd arrest for posession in Swansea 2003, they busted 50 homes at dawn that day trying to crack down on heroin dealers, I was just caught in the fire, only my 1/4 of pollen in my friends house, and I was just drifting off to sleep, in company of two friends at 6 am, after we had been up all night on acid smoking pollen buckets, and she was literally pleading with all her beauty in the sergeant's ear not to charge me.

He was reluctant but her influence on him was powerful. He confronted me eye to eye, demanding one good reason why he should not charge me, seeing as my one entitled caution was already used up.

I gave a good answer basically, still tripping and very tired, and he conceded, on the provision I met next door with some drug counsellor woman.

I tried to politely decline, but it was made clear to me it was essentially a formality process, by agreement, to avoid a criminal charge.

I accepted, spent 1 minute in the room with the lady, told her I don't use drugs hardly, did not need help- I was paranoid about saying more to be honest, I just wanted to get out of that Police Station fast as, and I was free to collect my belongings and walk home by about 2 pm.

But the sergeant strongly assured me if he saw me in that station again, he would charge me no question, insisting how fortunate I was to get a rare 2nd caution.

So I wonder how this caution thing will work in Ireland. I will read the link now, just typed this first. Unless it's unlimited cautions, it's only a thin veil away from a criminal record still.

Covid definitely bought the government lots of time on moving this along, taking so much pressure and focus of the matter.

I wonder if we are still on track for at the least, potentially, decriminalisation within 5 years from now? It was looking like maybe 5 years from "then", whenever that was now lol (18 months?), possibly 10.

Who knows what may swing. It could be 2 years. It could be 10. Will Brexit at last have an impact one way or the other?

@blackstone hope you are well my UK amigo and making the best of the holiday (pah, what does that, Friday, Monday, or March even mean anymore lol) period.
Haha that was interesting and funny thanks!
Yes you are right, it seems they are only focusing on that first offence but still keeping the framework where they (ridiculously) monitor everybody for it.
And they can still prosecute a first time personal user if they see fit.
Second offence is, as in your case in Wales, at the discrection of police and they can divert you to addiction/drug services. Third offence is arrest, so I guess they're only now keeping up with UK.
I saw the UK caution system exercised on TV shows in the past and was jealous.
When I was first "apprehended" on the green isle it was for one joint at a concert, I was charged to appear back at the concert host town fuckin miles away, and had to stay the night in a B&B.

I often feel that one reason for keeping it illegal in these parts is because of educational institutions (Oxford,Trinity etc.) which appeal to extremely wealthy parents worldwide wanting the best for their offspring. I'm sure they're terrified of losing all that appeal and benefit to rental sector and economy, especially from stricter countries, with one headline like "London totally goes to Pot!"

As an update, Ireland are also considering in the future adding other substances to the caution system for first time "offenders".

Hopefully after this, many countries will find it hard to ignore the needed revenue coming from legal weed where it's legal.
Happy New Year @Alexis and to all!

Alexis

Lol, it’s a slippery slope alright, towards freedom that is.

I’m visualising humanity hanging over a cliff ledge, clasped fanatically and desperately by the ptb, except we are lubricated with soap, easing out of grip.

Softening the law.....slippery slope. Just the rhetoric speaks for itself.

blackstone

And thanks to the police commissioner in that article, I finally see why cannabis is so deadly...

"If we legalise cannabis then people will try harder drugs, like cocaine," Mr Turner said.

"If we legalise cocaine, then people will go on to something else.
"You've got to say at that point - you've got to legalise everything. If someone dies because we've allowed it, who's responsible?
"It causes death and misery on a daily basis. I honestly can't see a situation where somebody could convince me that a product that kills people in the way it does should ever be legal."

So it's the coke that actually gets you in the end, or something? How could I have been so blind all along!
When does this occur, in your early eighties?
I'm off to give up cannabis quickly before I get a promotional email from Snort it Up.com or the likes.
Just one thing, what if someone, no wait... What if thousands of people die or become sick from street gang junk, like what's happening currently, and there were no warnings or advice at point of sale, where they've been proved to be most effective? Who's responsible?
And what's "it" currently causing all the death and misery on a daily basis? Prohibition? Dirt quality drugs? Them trying to convince people they are simply wrong to even want to try it despite the other half of the world waking up to it, and then enforcing these views with cruel punishments?

Thank fuck for the internet, because they won't be able to hide from this global wave for much longer.
Nor continue to punish adults on their own property for something they heard about in a song, such as cheeseburgers, skateboards, or cannabis.

Adobewan

And thanks to the police commissioner in that article, I finally see why cannabis is so deadly...

So it's the coke that actually gets you in the end, or something? How could I have been so blind all along!
When does this occur, in your early eighties?
I'm off to give up cannabis quickly before I get a promotional email from Snort it Up.com or the likes.
Just one thing, what if someone, no wait... What if thousands of people die or become sick from street gang junk, like what's happening currently, and there were no warnings or advice at point of sale, where they've been proved to be most effective? Who's responsible?
And what's "it" currently causing all the death and misery on a daily basis? Prohibition? Dirt quality drugs? Them trying to convince people they are simply wrong to even want to try it despite the other half of the world waking up to it, and then enforcing these views with cruel punishments?

Thank fuck for the internet, because they won't be able to hide from this global wave for much longer.
Nor continue to punish adults on their own property for something they heard about in a song, such as cheeseburgers, skateboards, or cannabis.
As we all know, beer negates the whole "Marijuana is a gateway drug."
Frustrating that they lie and steal from us in broad daylight and we are powerless.
Land of the free...

Alexis

So it's the coke that actually gets you in the end, or something?
Be wary of the “Co..”. Coke being the other great enemy.
And what's "it" currently causing all the death and misery on a daily basis?
This is simple. It’s pure imagination lol. Or rather fabrication, treachery, lies you name it. Rolled in one.

At least we can have a banter about the ridiculousness of it here. I’m fully with you of course on all sentiment and reasoning.

It’s so much the case in my mind still, no Covid come along, the tidal wave for very imminent decriminalisation of weed in UK, let alone wide, just access to already (supposedly) legal Medical Cannabis, would have burst its seams by now.

I was seriously thinking....all I care about is in 5 years time as long as they don’t try to put a block on home growing, hooray!

COshit totally took the steam out of that ship. Now I’m more inclined to bet a tenner we see a form of decriminalisation within 10 years hopefully.

But you never know. Political landscapes can swing quickly.

Plus, on the whole gateway thing- I didn’t try cannabis once myself until I had been experimenting with LSD, MDMA and Psilocybin for a year from aged 16.

Cannabis was all around me. It had nothing to do with access. It just hadn’t appealed to me. But age 17, I came of age, and haven’t really looked back lol.

Honestly, if I had started using weed first, my long term deep psychedelic experience may have taken a different path.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
The comments of the PCC are so out of date they were obviously picked to be the echos of traditional views. They make me furious but I don't think they are widely held by PCCs in other areas.

The UK mmj policy is a joke, and I think it's somewhat to do with the NHS. I think we can guess there would be a large number of patients who would benefit from prescribed cannabis but the cost involved to the NHS would be tremendous. It's not a cheap drug.

I do wonder if our health service was run in a similar way to the States where we are individually responsible for healthcare costs would it be more widely prescribed or is the traditional prejudice too far ingrained to matter. I would like to think the only reasonable solution to mmj in the UK is to allow home cultivation, but I can't see it happening soon enough.

Vaporware

I do wonder if our health service was run in a similar way to the States where we are individually responsible for healthcare costs would it be more widely prescribed or is the traditional prejudice too far ingrained to matter. I would like to think the only reasonable solution to mmj in the UK is to allow home cultivation, but I can't see it happening soon enough.

I have very “good insurance” and it’s expensive by itself, not to mention all of the stuff I still have to pay for out of pocket…a couple of years ago it was nearly $4,000 just in costs the insurance didn’t cover, and not even counting MMJ. If I didn’t have the money to pay, I wouldn’t have got a lot of the help I did get. (Actually most of it went on credit cards and some of it’s probably still there charging us interest every month.)

The “naturopathic” doctor I got my MMJ recommendation from obviously supports it, but not a single one of my regular doctors has supported it. Insurance has also never paid a penny of my MMJ expenses.

I also still have to wait weeks to months to see a doctor most of the time, and I have repeatedly been denied medications and stuff that doctors have recommended because the ultimate arbiter of my healthcare (unless I can afford to pay for it all by myself) is a random person at the insurance company whose job it is largely to *deny* as much care as they can so the company makes more profit.

We pay about twice as much for each person’s healthcare and get worse outcomes, plus we still have like 30,000,000+ people who have no insurance at all. They are mostly poor and only get healthcare by spending what little they have on it or by going to the Emergency Room where they quickly rack up enormous bills they often can’t pay.

Medical debt is one of the main causes of bankruptcy in the US.

There is really very little to like about our healthcare system as it is. Please don’t let the people who stand to make money off of denying you care and making you pay more for the privilege convince you to give up a good system for a bad one. :) :2c: :peace:

Edit: Forgot to finish the last sentence!

Last edited:

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
@Vaporware I have a pretty good understanding of the us health insurance system, and please don't misunderstand me, I am not in any way jealous of it. Our NHS, is something I am very proud of as a Brit and gladly pay my national insurance for everyone's benefit.

My point was that the NHS is under tremendous pressure to supply that healthcare at a low cost to the country, so every treatment has a financial consideration. Thankfully I don't have anyone trying to make a needless buck out of my healthcare.

Vaporware

@Cheebsy Yeah, I re-read your message when I was about finished typing that and realized you probably didn’t need to hear it, but there are still people in both systems (mostly ours) who do need to hear it so I posted anyway.

One way or another I hope that soon we will all get the care we need with a lot less financial worry all the way around. :)

Sorry about pulling the News thread a bit off topic though…

Nooky72

Dog Marley
I fear for future legalisation in the UK whilst this clown is minister for health and his bumbling cockwomble of a boss doesn’t seem too bothered about ministerial incompetence nor hypocrisy. Not wishing to provoke any political debate here just a cunning ruse to provide a platform to post these memes!

Nthgyg.jpg

NthQOR.jpg

Nth3Gc.jpg

Alexis

I fear for future legalisation in the UK whilst this clown is minister for health and his bumbling cockwomble of a boss doesn’t seem too bothered about ministerial incompetence nor hypocrisy. Not wishing to provoke any political debate here just a cunning ruse to provide a platform to post these memes!

Nthgyg.jpg

NthQOR.jpg

Nth3Gc.jpg
He….is a Demon. A true, utter demon.

Alexis,
Reactions: kel

kel

FuckMisogynists!
So gross!!

I wouldn't be so sure, they are hardcore right-wing criminal capitalist neo-liberals, they want total freedom to make as much money as they possibly can without anyone with pesky things like morals and legalities interfering... if they get wind of how much money can be made from enslaving your grandmother in a crack den to make sure she gives them back every penny of her 'lowest in the EU' pension... they will do it!

I would be more worried that they would start force growing poor quality corporate cannabis, using it as a way to dispose of illegal waste products into the 'novel food' chain and developing 'health strategies' and laws to ensure forced administration of the stuff to every human via injection myself.

Other than that I agree 100%

If you would like a brief overview of why I think this, you can read it in black and white in the neo-liberal manifesto from the adam smith institute.

Or if you particularly enjoy feeling violently sick, at the depths of depravity and sheer evil human kind can sink to, for hours at a time, you could read The Sovereign Individual by William Reese-Mogg.

kel,

Alexis

The Sovereign Individual by William Reese-Mogg.
Sounds like even more good, promising news. I don’t think I really need a trailer, not much if anything is beyond the stretch of my imagination.

This is the most insanely difficult time in recorded history I would also argue, to trip in. There’s just no dimmer switch, the escapist route fairy tales of old are dead and buried.

Now we see the cold hard reality. Which was always destined to come to light. It’s a long play.

Alexis,

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I thought this too, but there is, a lot more - it's far worse than even the most vivid of imaginations can endure... think Children of Men redux by Chris Morris on a bad hangover day.

The thing that I can't shake is the sheer cold hearted brutality of it all... no, let me correct that, the delight they can barely contain at all the death and suffering - these people are loving every second of this.

I absolutely love the art by coldwarsteve and Wefail, both worth checking out!

kel,

Alexis

Believe me, my imagination can go ALL of the way. If it’s possible to verbalise and describe something, it won’t shock me, as long as it is within conscious 3D realms.

I know how bad it is the iceberg still beneath that which is poking its big ugly head out in increments. The only thing that really disturbs me, is the prospect that humanity is just one of thousands/trillions of planetary “cricket” crops created genetically by a nefarious alien race for harvest one day, one planet at a time, never allowing population to exceed 8 billion or else risk spoiling the “crop”.

However dark the world, I believe fully in the spiritual world blind to many.

I live there in my dreams. I battle them, or rather they attack me when I’m down.

I have to hold some hope in my mind that there is another side.

Us being just a huge crop of crickets for Labcoat aliens, that weakens my faith somewhat.

Anything to do with mortals, however dark, evil and insidious, I can get my head around it.

Even….I discovered recently, after following my nose, that Pink Floyd, like most rock and pop culture, bands, are essentially just another band of soul selling satanic channellers and servants.

i.e. enemies of humanity.

I’m giving all my Pink Floyd CD’s away to a friend, except the original Syd Barret stuff until I can decide how consciously complicit or not he was personally on board.

I never liked Roger Waters one bit. Aloof, stuck up Arsenal cunt IMO.

I thought Gilmour was a man of light. I was deluded. He’s a friggin Satanist. Just like most all Hollywood stars.

Did you see the 1999 Matrix film Neo’s passport is dated 9/11?

The Illuminati card game? “Truth in plain sight” has always been the name of the theme.

Camouflaged into the artificial scenery and illusory construct of society.

Last edited:
Alexis,

kel

FuckMisogynists!
If anything that would be a bit of a relief and a good explanation for everything that is happening, but alas, I think it is just humanity at it's absolute worst!

kel,

Alexis

If anything that would be a bit of a relief and a good explanation for everything that is happening, but alas, I think it is just humanity at it's absolute worst!
I see it the other way funnily. If it’s just evil humanity possessed by Demons essentially, I could swallow that.

Us a big cricket crop. “Our” “God” them far away, leaves me little room for hope.

I edited above. See about the Pink Floyd. That one slipped under my nose for a long time but I am no flamingo one bit.

Alexis,

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Shrugs... all this stuff is meaningless, impossible to verify in any meaningful way. I particularly dislike the notion that unless you just accept these theories you are somehow incapable of analytical thought and there is something wrong with you - at this point I will always disengage.

I always like to check this whenever presented with any 'evidence' or someone is trying to convince me of something, it's really helpful:

Arguments.png

I'm a pragmatist and a determinist, I believe everything is physics, that time is non-linear and true expressions of free will are extremely rare if not literally impossible.

Some great Film/TV show recommendations based around these simple but profound ideas from the last few years:

Devs

Tales from the Loop

Arrival

All the Christopher Nolan films - so good!

Sure, they are just stories too, but also explorations of the fundamental ideas of how we exist in time and space :tup:

kel,

Cheebsy

Microbe minion

First minister rejects brother's cannabis oil plea

The mother of a boy who suffers life-threatening seizures says she is devastated at Nicola Sturgeon's response to her son's plea to make medicine available to his brother.

Karen Gray's eight-year-old son Murray had hundreds of seizures a day before taking the cannabis-based drug Bedrolite, bought from the Netherlands.

The drug costs £1,300 per month on private prescription.

Murray's brother Dean, 13, wrote to Ms Sturgeon asking for help to pay for it.

However, the first minister has now responded saying medication has to be proven to be safe before it will be available on the NHS.

FFS! This poor child can't afford to pay for the medicine that gives him a life but Sturgeon says it isn't safe! Is 200+ seizures a day safe? There really needs to be some joined up thinking here, just let us grow for medical needs at the very least UK.gov!

kel

FuckMisogynists!

First minister rejects brother's cannabis oil plea

The mother of a boy who suffers life-threatening seizures says she is devastated at Nicola Sturgeon's response to her son's plea to make medicine available to his brother.

Karen Gray's eight-year-old son Murray had hundreds of seizures a day before taking the cannabis-based drug Bedrolite, bought from the Netherlands.

The drug costs £1,300 per month on private prescription.

Murray's brother Dean, 13, wrote to Ms Sturgeon asking for help to pay for it.

However, the first minister has now responded saying medication has to be proven to be safe before it will be available on the NHS.

FFS! This poor child can't afford to pay for the medicine that gives him a life but Sturgeon says it isn't safe! Is 200+ seizures a day safe? There really needs to be some joined up thinking here, just let us grow for medical needs at the very least UK.gov!

Welcome to the UK!

We live under the governance of a death and torture cult...

kel,
Top Bottom