Cannabis giving me palpitations during the night

GijsX

I am in my early fifties, I've been smoking cannabis for over 30 years, I only smoke pure weed or hash through a water pipe, no tobacco. I smoke sativa / indica hybrids, as mild as I can get. Since I would like to cut down on smoking I am now trying out vaping.

The past few years I have developed a problem that when I consume cannabis I get pretty bad heart palpitations during the night, enough to significantly disrupt my sleep. I am not talking about faster or irregular heart beats (which is what almost all online articles about this subject are talking about), the speed is normal and the beats are regular. It is just way heavier than it should be, as if my heart is fighting against the THC. I go to bed feeling fine and relaxed, and I wake up with my heart beating away.

I recently bought a vaporizer to see if this would help, as I would also would like to cut down on smoking. However, unfortunately this has really not been working well for me. Basically I find it way too powerful, the palpitations continue during the night as before, and also instead of getting high for a few hours in the evening before coming down and going to sleep, the vaporizer gives me a steady buzz that lasts over into the next day, also badly disrupting my sleep, even with very small amounts of weed.

Maybe it's just because I am getting older, but it is as if my tolerance to THC has completely eroded, and that I have some deep rooted stress. I have found that magnesium supplements and also valerian drops have helped to reduce my stress levels and improve my sleep, however the palpitation problem remains when I consume cannabis.

I am curious if anyone else has experience of the same kind of problems - palpitations during the night, and that even just vaping a very small amount gives a buzz that continues for hours and hours into the next day.

Thanks for any reactions!

pomogirl

Yes on both. My main high with RSO lasts about 4-6 hours, then after that I feel coherent, but I know I'm not going to drive anywhere for at least 10 hours to be safe. I try to only do Indica, but my RSO is a hybrid, so I get more palpitations, but I take an extra beta blocker at that point. But if I do hybrids or a sativa, I have more palpitations.

Either way, you might want to get checked by your doctor if you haven't yet. My doctor also prescribes my cannabis, but I haven't told my cardiologist about my cannabis consumption.

Farid

Do you take edibles? The delayed onset you describe reminds me of when I used to take edibles.

Do you experience anxiety when you consume? When I cut my usage back, the effects became so strong that even a crumb of weed destroys me. I have epilepsy, and when I get anxious from using weed I start to overthink my body and can easily convince myself I'm at risk of a seizure. I'm not, but at times it can feel very real.

Really you need a doctor to check you out, since he will be objective in his analysis.

Last edited:
Farid,
Reactions: pomogirl

CANtalk

Vaping, smoking, edibles, all these types of cannabis will raise the heart rate. For some people, this may be problematic. And you might get some anxiety f/x mixed in as well. Cannabis & especially sativas are known for potentially inducing anxiety in some people. I've tasted that edge a few times with >90% sativa vaping. And these things can manifest over years of use.

Vaping is a lot stronger than smoking (~50% stronger in the literature). And the f/x magnify in my experience with low temp vaping if you're doing that. Try high temp vaping first off and try smaller amounts as well. Many of us in the microdosing thread vape 0.010 - 0.050 grams at a time. Cannabis can be very potent!

Hope that helps. Best wishes with addressing things & good luck

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

farmerpalmersnt

Sounds like SVT. You need to see a doctor for an ECG.That may need medication or ablation. Get it checked.

farmerpalmersnt,
Top Bottom